Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
So I want to hear your thoughts on polygamy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lilla muchi

Beloved Shapeshifter

7,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:09 pm
Personally i don't agree with it. I feel if you are with someone you should be totally and completely committed to that one person. polygamy, to myself seems a way to merely populate the world through one male and many females. also in many senses, to myself, it's cheating because either way, even if they know, your still seeing and sleeping with another person.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm
Taeryyn

Just the Mormons get a free pass (even though mainstream LDS members do not even practice polygamy), but the other religions and cultures that practice polygamy don't? I mean, it's your opinion and that's fine, but I'm a little confused about your reasoning.

Why is it wrong to have multiple spouses? Again, I have no issue with your belief, I am curious as to why you believe it's wrong.

I'm of the opinion that people don't really take marriage very seriously anymore, and end up divorcing as a result. Do you believe it would be wrong for an abused person to divorce an abusive spouse?

Thank you for not bombing my opinion, and respecting it. I immediately got 100 respect points to you! : ) So thank you for that~
But I never really knew other religions practiced that. And if they do, I think they shall do it simply because it's their religion. I hate to have people disrespect anything, as I grew up being disrespected my whole life. If it is a religion, then fine, but if someone simply claims it is their religion, I have issues with that.
Personally because I believe you cannot love more than one person. Even if a 50 year old widow finds a new love, someone she loved more than the first, then in my opinion she either wants a man in her life (and I am not sexist, this can be the other way around with a male 50 year old) or she did not actually love the first man she married. It is just an opinion, I personally do not like it one bit.
See and that's fine that you don't take marriages seriously, and getting a divorce is your decision. You do prove me wrong, as I should have made that topic a bit longer, I believe when someone gets a divorce, they are giving up, unless they are getting abused verbally, psychically or in anyway. As I said these are simply my opinions, and I wish not to offend anyone.

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm
Dusty-Boy

personally I never cared much about it, but I feel like the polygamist movement and the GLBT movements have a lot to offer eachother, thinking from a pure civil rights standpoint, I feel like I have no ability to tell people how their feelings work, and I can't say that I've seen proof that a person can't have deep romantic feeling to more than one person.

I think it's important to note that there is polygamy and then there is polyamory. Polyamory is many loves, which may or may not have many marriages.

Quote:
Personally I think it is quite probable that there are legitimate polygamist relationships out there, especially since other cultures have already seen them
I'm in a happy, healthy polyamorous relationship. We're polyfidelitious- which means we have a closed circle of partners and don't "sleep around".  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm
Esiris
Dusty-Boy

personally I never cared much about it, but I feel like the polygamist movement and the GLBT movements have a lot to offer eachother, thinking from a pure civil rights standpoint, I feel like I have no ability to tell people how their feelings work, and I can't say that I've seen proof that a person can't have deep romantic feeling to more than one person.

I think it's important to note that there is polygamy and then there is polyamory. Polyamory is many loves, which may or may not have many marriages.

Quote:
Personally I think it is quite probable that there are legitimate polygamist relationships out there, especially since other cultures have already seen them
I'm in a happy, healthy polyamorous relationship. We're polyfidelitious- which means we have a closed circle of partners and don't "sleep around".

I'd like to thank you on that clarification, it's one of these issues that people seem to just shun to the closet... like homosexuality not too long ago.

most people think a romantic relationship between three or more people (Polyamory.. need to get that word memorized), is more like swingers and sluts or is about abusive rapist cult leaders. it really makes it difficult to bring up  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 am
Dusty-Boy

I'd like to thank you on that clarification, it's one of these issues that people seem to just shun to the closet... like homosexuality not too long ago.

most people think a romantic relationship between three or more people (Polyamory.. need to get that word memorized), is more like swingers and sluts or is about abusive rapist cult leaders. it really makes it difficult to bring up

I know there is a poly-pride day in New York.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:26 pm
I really do not agree with it. We're selfish, we're human. There's going to be trouble sometime, and that's that. My same thoughts on communism.  

-Explosion-Array-

Feral Warlord

9,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Werblergerble

2,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:13 pm
Polygamists are in relatively the same spot we're in; Tied down by religon and disliked by the general U.S populace for their views, they also have restrictions on their marrige in most states.

Considering all that, the LGBT community and polygamists share a common goal, and common obstacles. So, we should be at least tolerant of their views, in the hopes that they would do the same for us.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:04 am
i have tried a poly relationship and it was horrible, i did not enjoy it and would never want to try it again. ive also never seen one that worked out. i know that they exist, ive just never seen one that didnt end in tears. im all for it though for other people, just not me

i would imagine that children that grow up in a poly household do pretty well since they always have a parent to talk to  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 am
-Explosion-Array-
I really do not agree with it. We're selfish, we're human.
I think people can be that way- but it hasn't stopped couples from pairbonding so with more work the same problems that happen with couples can be overcome with poly groups. cat_3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 pm
Here's what I and my husband thinks; the heart does as it pleases, and there's nothing we can do about making the heart change its mind. Yes, as humans we're selfish creatures, but we're not driven by it, and is it so wrong to love more than one person? How about those that have lost their spouse, are they not allowed to love another?

Yes, there's people that can't deal with polygamy relations, and quite often those that are are facing troubles, but it's just the same as couples with just two people. It doesn't have anything to do with a man gathering a "mating pack" as some people looks at it. If people are willing to have an open mind and heart rather than just narrow their world to just a singular person, this helps causes less stress and pain when they find themselves attracted to someone regardless of being in a relationship. This doesn't mean that you're going to cheat on your partner, it's just a physical attraction.

Me and my husband will consider a polygamy relationship with only those that we both care for, and who will not be attempting to drive a wedge between us. But otherwise, we accept it and overly support those that wants such a relationship, as long as it was a mutual consent as well as it was all with those old enough to make his/her own decisions, and that no one was 'leader' of the group, even if there's one or more of whichever gender.  

Mafdet of Egypt

Dedicated Lover

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100

Glittery Spaz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:13 pm
Polygamy is fine in my book, I mean, I think as long as you share your love among each person and don't play favorites it's fine.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:28 pm
Pink Slowpoke
Personally, I feel that if those involved can create and maintain a functional relationship where everyone is happy I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to have a polygamous marriage.

Saying that however, I could never see myself in a polygamous relationship.

If it was made legal could it be reversed (woman having many husbands?)

I think in the places it is legal it's not specifically directed towards male or female polygamists; just polygamists in general.  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:43 pm
I honestly don't think I could live in a polygamous relationship, but that's just me. If anyone else wants to do it, I'm okay with that. It can work, or it can't. It's the same as both same-sex relationships or opposite-sex relationships.

But there are a few things about polygamous relationships that I don't understand. Let's say I'm a polygamist and I marry a guy who has three wives other than me. And let's say I have three husbands. When me and my new husband marry, will my new sister wives have gained three new husbands?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart

But there are a few things about polygamous relationships that I don't understand. Let's say I'm a polygamist and I marry a guy who has three wives other than me. And let's say I have three husbands. When me and my new husband marry, will my new sister wives have gained three new husbands?

Poly families, especially in cases of polyfidelity, develop their own interconnections. For example, my gf is married and I'm married to my beloved Annette, Annette and my gf are in love too- but I don't feel that way about my gf's husband. I also have a Dom that I love very much. Annette and my gf's husband are best friends. My gf has another boyfriend and he has a girlfriend- but I'm uncomfortable around him, but I like her (the first time I met him he was accidently impolite and I haven't spent any time with him since- so I haven't had anything to compare that experience with).

So- we don't all automatically have deep relationships with each other's partners, and that's ok by us.

Rewind and ask "What if Annette and Riri both wanted a poly-fi family structure that involved deep connections with all partners?" It would mean we would have to choose who we partnered with very carefully, and we wouldn't be able to introduce people into our family more than one at a time because they would have to be welcomed and loved by all members.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Enderlad

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 am
Well, like other people before have said, I think whatever consenting adults do that doesn't harm themselves or others is positively none of my business. Poli relationships may not be something I would want to partake in, but that does not mean I don't think anyone should. People should have the freedom to love, regardless of who or how many is involved.

To say that one would oppose the idea of people partaking in polyamory because of one's distate for it personally would seem almost hypocritical. It sounds like the same logic people who oppose same-sex relationships use. :U  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff