Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Transgender Awareness Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elle Young

Fashionable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:05 pm
Hey guys, I want to take this moment to thank you for all the support. You've even spread word about the petition. Thank you so much. This is a very important issue to me and it warms my heart to know that you all support what is right.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:46 pm
User Image

I signed that petition. They definitely owe her an apology for that bait-and-switch move they pulled. :C

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm
TheCosmeticPrince
Lady Kayura
I read the summary of the episode..

Quote:
The plot of the episode was to use Carmen to lure one of the bakery's employees to flirt with her as a prank.

Took that from a petition asking for an apology. I don't get it. Was the point to get people to flirt with her then tell them that she was born a man? If so, that seems like a poor choice of plot to agree to doing.

I find it too bad that they didn't use the terms she requested. But what kind of reaction was she expecting? There are better ways to bring attention to the transgendered community and teach people. Pulling a prank like this doesn't seem like the best of ways to open up discussion that would lead to education.

I do agree that it wasn't the best situation for the cause. But Carmen still made it perfectly clear that she wanted to be called "Transgendered" instead the called her a man.

But isn't that the point of the "prank"? To freak out the straight men she was flirting with? I do find it too bad that they called her a man when she requested to be called transgendered but honestly I'm not surprised they didn't comply. Using transgendered instead of man likely wouldn't have the same effect on the men they were pranking. I think the prank idea was a pretty poor choice in pranking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 pm
TheCosmeticPrince
Carmen's Post on Facebook
Im so upset right now, I cant stop crying. My heart truly hurts. I need people to understand that I KNOW I was born male and not ashamed of it. I wouldn't of cared if they said I was born male or USED TO BE male. By calling me a 'MAN' promotes ignorance and makes it ok to call transgender women, men. PEOPLE GET BULLIED, BEAT UP, AND KILLED FOR BEING TRANS BECAUSE OF THIS IGNORANCE! There was a time it was like that for gay people, even for some ethnic groups. Its not ok to call a gay person a f**, its not ok to call a spanish person a s**c, its not ok to call a black person a ******. THIS IS THE SAME TYPE OF THING. I made it VERY clear to the producers on how to use the correct wording before agreeing to filming this but instead they chose to poke fun and be disrespectful. Thats not what Im about! Please voice your opinion.
I agree with 99% of this- the only problem I see is her using the past tense "was" when talking about gay bashing and racism.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm
Wow, that's dumb )=
I feel so bad for her.
I HATE Cake Boss.
They give the impression that all italian people eat all the time, and talk like retards.
NO.
So shut up, you dumb Cake Boss.
I have heard that they are all actually rude people also, I despise it.
They need to stop airing it, and throwing money at those selfish people.
They don't care about other people's feelings, as long as they are rich.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm
-AvalonChristopher-
Wow, that's dumb )=
I feel so bad for her.
I HATE Cake Boss.
They give the impression that all italian people eat all the time, and talk like retards.
NO.
I know how you feel- but if you think they're rude, and using ableism slurs (like dumb and retarded) to say that, isn't it just as bad?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 pm
Lady Kayura
TheCosmeticPrince
Lady Kayura
I read the summary of the episode..

Quote:
The plot of the episode was to use Carmen to lure one of the bakery's employees to flirt with her as a prank.

Took that from a petition asking for an apology. I don't get it. Was the point to get people to flirt with her then tell them that she was born a man? If so, that seems like a poor choice of plot to agree to doing.

I find it too bad that they didn't use the terms she requested. But what kind of reaction was she expecting? There are better ways to bring attention to the transgendered community and teach people. Pulling a prank like this doesn't seem like the best of ways to open up discussion that would lead to education.

I do agree that it wasn't the best situation for the cause. But Carmen still made it perfectly clear that she wanted to be called "Transgendered" instead the called her a man.

But isn't that the point of the "prank"? To freak out the straight men she was flirting with? I do find it too bad that they called her a man when she requested to be called transgendered but honestly I'm not surprised they didn't comply. Using transgendered instead of man likely wouldn't have the same effect on the men they were pranking. I think the prank idea was a pretty poor choice in pranking.

I have to agree with this. I feel bad for the way that they treated her but agreeing to that prank did seem like a bad decision from the beginning. That just makes it seem as being transgender as a joke or not seen how they want to be seen, etc...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm
A supposed apology has been released on Facebook.
Any thoughts on that?  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm
Sifen Yamishi
There's a petition online now if you guys want to sign it:
http://www.change.org/petitions/tlc-s-cake-boss-publicly-apologize-to-the-transgendered-community

This just pisses me off. I signed this thing! I get this crap all the time in the world. I ask to be called male and to be called by my name and instead I get called a woman and by a name that isn't even mine anymore. Ugh... It angers me cause Buddy is so cool with gays and lesbians. I mean, I guess it's not his fault. It's the producers and so forth. /sigh I need to see this now. When was this aired?

Edit: That whole "prank" thing is straight up bigoted!!! OH MY GOD!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 pm
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-
Wow, that's dumb )=
I feel so bad for her.
I HATE Cake Boss.
NO.
I know how you feel- but if you think they're rude, and using ableism slurs (like dumb and retarded) to say that, isn't it just as bad?

Never intentionally said they were dumb, and retarded. I said the show was, and the way they talk was. There isn't really anyone named 'Cake boss' on the show XD I just don't like how they portray the whole image of them being this perfect family with this perfect little cake shop.  

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 pm
Sifen Yamishi
A supposed apology has been released on Facebook.
Any thoughts on that?

On Facebook? That is very, very impersonal, in my opinion. :/  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 pm
Belethiel

Here it is:

Quote:
I've been trying to connect with Carmen and apologize to her directly, but also think I owe an apology to the entire LGBT community. It was absolutely not my intention to upset or offend her, or anyone within the community, and I was wrong to use the words I did. I am a supporter of gay rights and equality, and while I regret this situation and my choice of words, I am thankful to have received this feedback and the opportunity to learn from this mistake. I hope that Carmen accepts my sincere regrets.

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Elle Young

Fashionable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 pm
I'm am glad they apologized. I have not been in personal contact with Carmen since last night after I made this thread. But she would like to express her deepest gratitude to all of you for your support. I will try to get in contact with her tonight. I'll keep you all posted.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Belethiel

Here it is:

Quote:
I've been trying to connect with Carmen and apologize to her directly, but also think I owe an apology to the entire LGBT community. It was absolutely not my intention to upset or offend her, or anyone within the community, and I was wrong to use the words I did. I am a supporter of gay rights and equality, and while I regret this situation and my choice of words, I am thankful to have received this feedback and the opportunity to learn from this mistake. I hope that Carmen accepts my sincere regrets.

Well, it would've been nicer if they like, aired an apology on TLC. I just hate internet apologies, they seem so insincere. But, I am glad they apologized and I really hope they mean that they learned from their mistakes and are willing to change their way of thinking.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 pm
Internet apologies are so ... insensitive. neutral I know he's better than that. They should have aired something OR at the beginning of next week's new one they should have aired an apology. If they were educated as they state, then they should educate their viewers cause this kind of crap just makes all of us trans people look terrible. emo  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff