Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Mythology I ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm
Amata Harlowe
Professor of Mythology // Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excited
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'My favorite story... I wonder how well Miss Raines knows it.'
═════════════════════════════════

User Image

Amata entered her classroom a little early the day of her second lesson, eager to get her notes organized and get the information on the board for Tristain. She wanted the girl to be able to jot down a few of the notes from the board before class began, so that they could start with the lesson without her having to catch up. Writing notes and listening at the same time could make things very confusing, she knew. It had been one of her own downfalls in school. She gathered her things and looked over what she'd written down for the class, and made a few extra notes, things she'd thought of since she's originally set out her rather scattered and simplistic lesson plan. She was at least trying to be organized, she thought. Whether or not she kept it up was an entirely different story. She shook her head, banishing the distraction from her mind, and looking at the notes. She decided she was satisfied with what she had, sure that if she was missing anything, it would come to her while she was teaching. So, she waved her wand, the basic outline of today's lesson writing itself on the board.

Quote:
Lesson Two: The Fountain of Fair Fortune
          Summary: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight.

Controversy: This tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

Amata looked over the notes on the board and nodded to herself again, flipping her hair over her shoulder as she sat at her desk, twiddling her thumbs, waiting for the eager young Ravenclaw to enter. She was quite looking forward to going over this particular lesson with the girl. The Fountain of Fair Fortune was her favorite story, and she was curious to see how well Tristain knew it, and what she thought of it. It was the first story Amata could recall being told as a child, her mother's favorite as well and thus the one she'd been told most often. Not to mention that she herself had been named for one of the three witches in the story. She wondered if Tristain would catch that...

(( OOC: ))

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:44 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Expectant
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I should have a student coming...

User Image

Amata sat behind her desk, going through her notes and papers for the new year. In truth, she'd been a tad lazy and hadn't changed the lesson plan even a smidge. But, then, she'd been too busy preparing the lesson plan for her new class, Muggle Mythology. It seemed the previous professor had quit, leaving the spot open, and of course she had jumped on it. But, it had been such short notice, she still wasn't quite ready to teach... she had her first lesson plan for the third year class, but that was about it. But, that was neither here nor there, she reminded herself, nodding her head firmly, and then smiling when she finally found her papers for the first lesson. She looked over the lesson briefly, made a few notations for herself, and gave her wand a wave, murmuring a few quick incantations. The pale lavender chalk flew up and began copying the text from her lesson plan onto the board, although the version for the students to copy was much, er, neater, than Amata's original writings. She smiled wryly at that. Even the spell thought she was too scatterbrained! But, at least her brain had everything sorted well enough that the lesson plan was going up so much more organized than her pages. She knew that the students would never be able to make heads or tail of them otherwise. When the chalk finished its job, she surveyed the result, smiling. Her own writing, as if she'd written it by hand. Lovely.

Quote:
                                  Lesson One: Beedle the Bard
                                          The Man:
                                              • Born in Yorkshire in the 15th century.
                                              • Author of many of the wizarding world’s most well-known and famous folktales.
                                              • Little is known of the man or his personal life.
                                              • Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
                                              • He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
                                              • His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
                                              • There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as ‘The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
                                              The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
                                              The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
                                              The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

With her work finished, Amata had nothing to do but sit and wait for her students to arrive. She was quite looking forward to this lesson; after all, this was the class in which she would meet her new students, and hopefully encourage them to continue taking her classes. She ran a hand through her hair, fluffing it nervously. She did hope this year went as well as the last had, at least as far at the lessons were concerned.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw

User Image

Shina walked into class and chose a desk. Seeing notes already up on the board, she quickly got her notebook and quill out and began copying the information. Her quill scratched quickly across the page, neat, clear handwriting swiftly filling the space.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:27 pm
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY WITH // Shina
CURRENTLY FEELING // Pleased
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oh, wonderful! She's arrived!'

User Image

Amata smiled when the young lady entered the room, and gave a small, courteous bow, barely dipping her head and shoulders. About halfway through the gesture, she paused, frowning ever so slightly. It was something she'd picked up from Regret, she realized. She shook her head inwardly and stood up straight, smiling again. "Hello, dear, I'm Professor Amata Harlowe. You may call me whatever you like, provided you use the title 'Professor.' Now, I have a short questionnaire for you to complete, if you would please. You can finish taking your notes after you fill it out." Amata flicked her wand, and a sheet of parchment flew to the girl's desk. She sat down behind her desk to wait for her to finish filling it out. Once she was done, they could start a discussion. That was the thing about having a lecture-based lesson that was so small; it allowed Amata to actually talk to her students, something she appreciated. It was her optimistic way of taking the blow that was only have one student. Some professors would likely be bothered by having a class so small, but Amata was able to turn the somewhat depressing reality into something positive, and she was glad for it.

Quote:
                                  Name: Your first and last name.
                                  House: Your house.
                                  Year: Your year.
                                  Blood Status: I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
                                  Curriculum: Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
                                  Something interesting about you: Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.

So, I meant to place the questionnaire on the first post under 'Currently on Professor Harlowe's desk,' but I sort of forgot, soooo... sorry -_-`

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw Seeker

User Image

Shina nodded to the professor. "Yes, Professor Harlowe," she said, before quickly filling out the parchment with her clear, neat script.

Name: Shina Kiremono
House: Ravenclaw
Year: Third year
Blood Status: Matrilineal Halfblood by way of the Kushia family of Japan.
Curriculum: I do not have a great deal of knowledge regarding Western Magical mythology, though I look forward to learning more.
Something interesting about you: I am tri-lingual, speaking English, Japanese, and Latin. I am fond of flying, and enjoy archery.

"Here you go, Professor," she said when finished, offering the parchment.

User Image
((OOC: Sorry for the huge delay, RL has been crazy. ))

Wearing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY WITH // Shina
CURRENTLY FEELING // Pleased
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oh, wonderful! She's arrived!'

User Image

Amata smiled and took the paper from Shina, looking it over carefully. Her eyes roved over the paper, taking in all the information she would need to teach the girl... so she didn't know much about the Western stories, that was interesting... Amata would likely have to tell them in class, then, or at least go over the details. That was fine. She enjoyed telling them. Particularly the first one... it was her favorite, after all. She looked at the girl. "Thank you very much, Shina. I'll look over this, make a few adjustments to the lesson for next class, and I'll see you then. I do hope that you purchased the book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard? I prefer the version annotated by Albus Dumbledore, but any version will work so long as it is unedited. That is, the original works... If you have the book, bring it next time, and we'll check the version. If it's not a good translation or an edited version I'll let you borrow my own copy, I know the stories backwards and forwards." She paused, laughing a little, the sound like the tinkling of bells, when she realized how she'd rambled on. She waved her hand, dismissing the girl, and turning to her desk to take notes on the next lesson. "You are dismissed. I'll see you next week."

Sorry I've been so out. Work, School, Holidays, blah blah blah. Don't worry about your sporadic posting, I'm more worried about mine!

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

Lesson completed and closed.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

Homework should be turned in to Professor Harlowe's office between now and the closing of Lesson 2.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm

User Image

Shina came in and sat down. "Hello professor! What will be covering today?" she asked, getting her supplies out. "Oh, and I have a copy of Beedle the Bard, the Hermione Granger translation. My copy is the annotated version by Ms. Rowling, with commentary by Albus Dumbledore, for the non-magical families of those with magical abilities? Will that be sufficient?" Shina asked, handing over the volume.

User Image

Wearing

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oh, it's so exciting to be teaching my favorite story...'

User Image

Amata gave Shina a smile and took her book to look over. After a moment, she gave the girl a nod. "This is exactly the copy you need, dear. Perfect" She then gave her wand a swish for the notes to begin writing themselves on the board. As they did, she watched, making sure there was nothing she needed to add or remove. Satisfied, she turned back to the girl. "Today we will be discussing 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune.' Incidentally, it is my favorite story and I will likely do a lot of talking. I trust you've read it?" Amata wasn't sure if the girl had acquired the textbook over the summer break or had just gotten it, and thus didn't know if she'd had time to read it. If she hadn't, this might be a long lesson... Amata was terrible at summarizing the stories sufficiently. She thought that, for teaching the tale, every detail was important. After all, if it wasn't, why would the Bard have included it?

Quote:
Lesson Two: The Fountain of Fair Fortune
          Summary: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight. With the problems of every party member solved, they linked arms and left the garden happily, never suspecting that, in fact, the fountain held no enchantment.

Controversy: This tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm

User Image

"Yes, I have read it. I thought it was particularly clever the way it presented so many potentially controversial topics that it ended up getting all but the most minor right past the noses of most of the so-called moral guardians," Shina said. Taking the volume back, she flipped to the start of the story and set a small weight on each page to hold it open.

User Image

Wearing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oh, it's so exciting to be teaching my favorite story...'

User Image

Amata pursed her lips, fighting an amused smile. This was a very clever young witch... precisely the kind she'd been ever so envious of during her own days at Hogwarts. They hadn't had this lesson when she was in school, but if they had, it would have been the only one in which her marks could top those of her classmates... or most of them, anyway. The girl continued to surprise her. It was rather fascinating, speaking with the students who took this lesson. She'd only had two, but both girls had been incredibly advanced for their age... even for Ravenclaws. She offered the girl a smile and waved her on. "Would you care to elaborate on what you mean?" Amata was frightfully curious about what she had to say. And she was fascinated by how very different the same lesson could go with different students. It was one of her favorite things about teaching a lecture/discussions class, the lecture might be the same, but the discussion was always different.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 am

User Image

"Well, to start with, the main magical characters are three witches. In that era, females were not expected to be strong, independent individuals. Quite the opposite, actually, they were expected to be quiet, subservient, and ornamental to the men in their lives. And yet, no one objects to the witches in the story being strong, powerful characters, possibly because the man they are sharing the story with is a muggle, and it would be even more unthinkable for conservative magical folk to object to a witch being "better" than a muggle man.

"Then we get to the challenges. None of them were solved with amazing magical skill, and in fact, only one solution used magic at all, and that was a spell to share memories, not some flashy demonstration of magical superiority. All attempts at brute force, or the magical equivalent, failed. So the message sent was that magic is not the solution to all problems. This is another possible touchy subject for highly conservative magical folk, the suggestion that bigger, stronger, more impressive magic is not in fact the best way to solve problems.

"And then we get to the fountain itself. The amazing, mystical fountain that carried no enchantment at all. The power of the fountain lay in the belief that it had power. Truly, by the time one reached it, they had no need of it at all. This seemed to suggest to me that the author was hinting that the power of magic is the belief that it is the solution, when in practice, greater strength is found in oneself and one's own hard work. Again, disregarding magic's value and suggesting that magic isn't actually the solution to problems is something that you might expect objection to.

"I could go on, I noticed at least a few more minor things I could mention, but I think I have made my point. The story is absolutely stuffed with potentially objectionable ideas, and yet, the only thing that it is called out on is the tiny, tacked on bit where the Muggle Sir Luckless ends up riding off into the sunset with the Witch Amata. Which is another important point. It was tacked on, right at the end. So the conservative wizard reading it, slowly getting more and more discomforted as things grated against his sensibilities, suddenly had a clear point to object to and focus on, right there at the end. There is something nice and simple to point to and disparage, and all the other more important, more subtle messages are forgotten, at least by detractors. Children hearing the story are still soaking in the other messages, and incorporating the lessons into their own worldviews. As for the children of those who object to the tale on the basis of the romance, well, there is no faster way to get a child to read something than to tell them they absolutely mustn't," Shina said with a sly grin.

User Image

Wearing

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out