Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Mythology III ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:30 pm
User ImageUser Image

Fifth YearHufflepuffChaserPrefect

Dhylan sat down in his class, curious about their studies. They were given forms, like last year, so he filled it out much the same.

Name: Dhyl Nolynn
House: Hufflepuff, sadly
Year: Fifth, also called "OWLs Year of Doom"
Blood Status: Pure.
Curriculum: All the stuff from I and II
Something interesting about you: Not much to tell. I play Chaser. Whoo. I also play drums and guitar.

He listened to the lecture on the Sorting Hat, thinking more than anything else. He had always felt that he was missorted, but was he? Did he really feel this shouldn't be his house, or did he only dislike it because it wasn't his dream house? Hmm... what was his sorting? Maybe if he could remember the Hat's words, he would have an idea why he was sorted where he was. He began to write, trying his best to remember.

Hmm... Difficult, difficult indeed.
Each House would lead you to greatness,
In their own special way.
Yet where to put you...
Ravenclaw you say?
You may do well there indeed,
But is that where you should be?
I know! Where you should go...
Hufflepuff!

Yes. That was it, or something close by it. So the Hat had acknowledged his desire for Ravenclaw, but decided against it... Why? What qualities of Hufflepuff did he have? He wasn't very friendly, in fact, he was a bit of an asshat. He wasn't really all that loyal, even though he would never betray his friends. Why was he put here, though? Why didn't he get his dream? That bloody hat must have a reason, yes? But what.... He was so lost in thought he nearly missed the professor asking for any questions. He could ask some, but decided against it. All his questions centered around him, and he didn't feel like sharing.

Wearing
Out Of Character:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:16 pm
User Image

Steele Thompson III

Hufflepuff|5th year|Muggle-Born|Ariana Hawthorne

Why must I be judged upon the purity of my blood?

Steele walked into the classroom. He really felt awkward because the fact that he should've been a sixth year, but he had to miss the complete year last year due to family problems. That was an interesting time. He found that he didn't enjoy it as much as he thought he would either. But it was different now...he was back and ready to take on the lessons. As he listened in to the discussion, he hoped to chime in on it but he would wait his turn. He would fill out the form in the meantime.

Name: Steele Thompson
House: Hufflepuff
Year: Fifth Year
Blood Status: Muggleborn
Curriculum: Only what we were taught in previous years
Something interesting about you: I play football for a living and during my summers you usually would find me starting striker for the U-19 English National Team.

Once he was finished with the form, he started speaking, figuring everyone was finished. "If I could bring my own opinion into this. I do not know much about a lot of things, but it sounds as if the hat takes a thought process deeper than the concrete, or what's in front of you. Sure, attitude plays a huge role, but I believe potential plays an even bigger part. Not the potential of ability, but the potential of what the wizard will become like. Like me, my first couple years I truthfully was never a...friendly person. I kept to myself at times, but not because I was shy, just because i didn't want to talk to anyone. I had leadership qualities on the pitch, playing football. I could've sworn I was going to be placed into Gryffindor, but I was in Hufflepuff. The hat saw my drive, but saw that someday I would become the friendly, yet confident person I am today. But maybe it saw I won't be overconfident either. I was bold at some point in my life, but since the year's passed, I have changed. There are fortunetellers in the Wizard world, and some of them are extremely accurate, what if the Hat has these qualities as well. As well as the ability to tell what each of these houses can turn a person into. Maybe the hat felt Gryffindor would be the place the Peter Pettigrew, as cowardly as he was, where the kid could change. And that's how I think the sorting hat could've changed to a point too, based on what Mr. Flinker over there had referenced.That's really all I think on the matter," he said to the teacher, concluding his long explanation. He was done. It was long and hard to follow, but he got the point out in the end.

Will I ever be the same?

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm
Lesson 1: The Sorting Hat

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's office before the end of Lesson 2.

To Rufus: "No one really knows what goes on the the mind of the Hat, what its motivations are for what it does. It could very well be that, with the fall of Voldemort, the hat felt that it was time for a change, and to leave those ideals behind. Five points to Ravenclaw for posing a very interesting question."

To Steele: "You're quite right; the hat seems to waver on its primary motivation for why it places a person where. For instance, I've had people remark that my being a former Gryffindor astounds them, because I seem more like a Ravenclaw. However, at the time of my sorting, I was quite the brash and outgoing child. In my case, the traits that would have prospered in Ravenclaw did so despite my being placed in another house, while those that made me a Gryffindor calmed. Why, then, put me in Gryffindor? I've always thought it was because, when I went to be sorted, I was so very sure that I'd be a Gryffindor, that the hat knew placing me anywhere else would cause me to try and prove that I'd deserved to be a lion all along. By giving me what I wanted, it confirmed my own beliefs on who I was, and allowed me the security to prove myself in other areas. Perhaps what the hat saw in you was that, had you been a Gryffindor, you would have become overconfident and perhaps even anti-social because of your confidence. Placing you in Hufflepuff might have taught you to be humble and kind... Fifteen points to Hufflepuff, then, Mister Thompson, for sharing your experience and thoughts."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:59 pm
Lesson 2: The Sword of Gryffindor

User Image

The Sword of Gryffindor is a magical artifact. Originally crafted by goblin Ragnuk the First, the sword was sold to Godric Gryffindor, who presumably used it throughout his life in battles, in addition to his wand. Since Gryffindor’s death, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the sword. Goblins hold that, once the original purchaser has died, ownership of any goblin made artifact reverts back to the goblins. However, the sword is regarded as a personal effect of Gryffindor, and has changed hands many times throughout the years. According to lore, the sword can, at any time of great need, be summoned by any who possesses the traits of a true Gryffindor, using the Sorting Hat as a portal, no matter its location. Examples of this occurring take place during Harry Potter’s lifetime, such as when he was able to summon the Sword to kill Slytherin’s Basilisk and when Neville Longbottom summoned it to kill Voldermort’s snake Nagini. The sword is said to only absorb that which makes its blade stronger, being incapable of rusting or staining. It is believed that, when Potter stabbed the Basilisk, it absorbed the snake’s venom, making it capable of destroying Horcruxes, hence why it was effective against the snake.

Homework: Describe characteristics which you believe would make a person worthy of finding the Sword of Gryffindor and a situation in which it might appear to them.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

The Forgotten Weasley

Miss GryffindorK

Silver Eagle III

Kai Sparrowheart

Xistund

VixenViVi

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm
User Image
Amata is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in Locationspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing on Grayson Powell // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Drabspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'At least I still have my lessons to keep me pre-occupied. spacespac
'The rain is falling on my windowpane,
But we are hiding in a safer place.'

═════════════════════════════════

Amata Harlowe was, for once, seated behind her desk, rather than atop it. It was a rather unusual sight, one that was a perfect indication of how very down she felt. She didn't have much of a social life, and what little time she did spend with others was typically a conversation with Grayson when they passed in the halls, or at dinner in the evening. But with his sleeping form laying in the Hospital Wing, she was distraught and alone. The only light penetrating the dark cloud that hovered over her of late was the news that her friend Ciaran Lowery and his husband were planning on adopting. It was about the only thing that brought a smile to her face. She really needed to ask Ciaran to meet her for drinks so they could catch up. She'd heard his nephew was a first year this year; she needed to talk him into convincing the boy to take her lesson.

She sighed a bit, waiting for her students to arrive and settle in before beginning the lesson.
                                                          "Afternoon, class. Today we'll be talking about a very interesting artifact, the Sword of Godric Gryffindor. As always, the notes on this subject are on the board for you to copy. The sword is, of course, not a legend itself, since we know very well that it exists. But, its history is something of a mystery. Being 1,000 years old tends to do that to an artifact, after all. It's hard to know the true history of anything that old. Some versions say that Gryffindor won the sword in a bet, some say he stole it from Goblins. The most common, however, says that he commissioned the sword from goblin craftsmen. Now, the reason for the discrepancy could be that, in goblin culture, when something is made by them for a non-goblin, once that person dies, the object then reverts back to goblin ownership. Of course, the sword was enchanted by Gryffindor to be summoned through the Sorting Hat so that, should a true Gryffindor ever be in need of it, it was there for them. So, whether or not the sword was returned to the goblins by Gryffindor or not, it eventually ended up back in the hands of wizards. This is considered theft by the goblins." She paused, her hand going to her forehead. She had a horrible headache today. Actually, she had a horrible headache most days of late. Worrying constantly tended to do that to a person, after all. "Are there any questions, or thoughts, on the lesson?"

'Under covers staying safe and warm,
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.'

(( OOC: ))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 pm
Who's gonna FIGHT for what's RIGHT
Who's gonna HELP us SURVIVE
We're in the FIGHT of our LIVES
And we're not READY to DIE
Who's gonna FIGHT for the WEAK
Who's gonna MAKE 'em BELIEVE
I've GOT a HERO
LIVING in ME

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN FIFTH YEAR PREFECT
User Image
It's just another war: Neutral | Just another family torn: She seems sort of... stressed | Just a step from the edge: Fifth Years | Just another day in the world we live in: Mythology |

Marina watched her favorite professor somewhat covertly as she took her seat. She seemed to be in even poorer spirits that the previous lesson, and honestly Marina wasn't surprised. Everyone was pretty down, with more and more people ending up in the infirmary in mysterious comas, and the pressure of OWLS. She listened in silence to the lecture. Well, she wasn't sorry that the sword was enchanted, because it had saved the day for the wizarding world not once but twice, but she felt bad for the goblins, and more so, her dad. Her father was the head of the department that handled wizard-goblin relations, and one of the most common grievances the goblins had was the sword of Gryffindor. Specifically, them not having it. She raised her hand. "If the sword can be summoned through the Sorting Hat, could the other artifacts be summoned through it as well, if the wearer was was a true Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw, or Slytherin?"

INTELLIGENCE without AMBITION is a BIRD without WINGS

I'm gonna FIGHT for what's RIGHT
Today I'm SPEAKING my MIND
And if it KILLS me TONIGHT
I will be READY to DIE
I've gotta FIGHT TODAY
To LIVE another DAY
SPEAKING my mind TODAY
My VOICE will be heard TODAY

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:28 pm
Lesson 2: The Sword of Gryffindor

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 2 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's office before the end of Lesson 3.

To Marina: "As far as we know, there are no other artifacts that can be summoned through the hat. The theory is that, because the hat belonged to Gryffindor, he would have had time to enchant it to share a connection with the sword. Gryffindor was a duelist, both with wands and weapons, so it makes sense that he would have a thought to ensure that those who were worthy of his house would always have a weapon at hand... just like Slytherin thought it was only proper to leave the Chamber of Secrets so that his own heir could one day purge the school. Fifteen points to Slytherin, Marina."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm
Lesson 3: The Goblet of Helga Hufflepuff

User Image

The Cup of Helga Hufflepuff was long regarded as a treasure of the wizarding world, being passed down from generation to generation through Hufflepuff’s family. It was said to be possessed of many magical attributes, although the exact nature of these is unknown. The best guess anyone can fathom is that, because Hufflepuff was well known for being adept at homemaking magic, particularly in regards to food, it might have, at some time, served some purpose in the Hogwarts kitchen. However, knowledge of the cup fell out of wizarding knowledge throughout the years, and the only person who might have been able to tell others its purpose was killed by Tom Riddle, also known as the Dark Lord Voldemort, in his quest to collect artifacts of the Hogwarts founders to make into Horcruxes. Hepzibah Smith, the last known descendent of Hufflepuff’s line, was shopping at the infamous Borgin and Burkes (what a descendent of Hufflepuff was doing in such a place is a question many have asked, but there seems to be no answer) when Riddle came in. She bragged to Riddle of her possession of the cup and the locket of Salazar Slytherin, both of which would become Horcruxes. Riddle attempted to purchase the cup from her, but when she would not relent, saying that she couldn’t bear to part with it, he killed her and took both artifacts.

Homework: Consider possible uses for Hufflepuff's cup and what magical properties it might have possessed.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

The Forgotten Weasley

Miss GryffindorK

Silver Eagle III

Kai Sparrowheart

Xistund

VixenViVi

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:24 pm
User Image
Damien is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Studious in Locationspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // loving Marina Aldredspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // No one...?spacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Worriedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'What's been going on with Professor Harlowe? She's always here before us...' spacespac
'I know you don't like how I feel,
but please, try to remember,'

Damien entered the room, surprised to see that he was literally the first one there... including their professor. The notes for this lesson were already on the board, but Professor Harlowe was no where to be found. He took a seat, frowning, and started copying the notes down, but it was slow going. He was too distracted; he rather liked Professor Harlowe, she was wonderful and smart and she'd literally saved his life... and now, there was something wrong with her. She was normally so bubbly and energetic and fun, and this whole year, she'd seemed moody and depressed... he hoped it was nothing serious, but surely if it weren't, she'd be back to normal by now? He finished copying the notes, waiting patiently, expecting her to, at any moment, come through the door with a smile on her face, her hands moving in wide, dramatic gestures. A small smile quirked onto his face. It'd be nice, wouldn't it? But he had a feeling it wasn't going to happen. Whatever was going on... he just didn't feel like it was better.

'It's natural for a thing like me...'

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm
Who's gonna FIGHT for what's RIGHT
Who's gonna HELP us SURVIVE
We're in the FIGHT of our LIVES
And we're not READY to DIE
Who's gonna FIGHT for the WEAK
Who's gonna MAKE 'em BELIEVE
I've GOT a HERO
LIVING in ME

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN FIFTH YEAR PREFECT
User Image
It's just another war: Worried | Just another family torn: She's not here... | Just a step from the edge: Damien | Just another day in the world we live in: Mythology |

Marina was a little surprised to see Professor Harlowe not in the classroom. What exactly was going on with her? She was still a wonderful teacher, of course, but she seemed to be lacking the passion and excitement that always seemed to be evident with her. Instead she was constantly in low spirits and subdued, and Marina wanted nothing more than to help her favorite teacher. But she didn't know what was wrong. The redhead sat down next to Damien, as usual, and waited for their professor to enter with a worried expression.

INTELLIGENCE without AMBITION is a BIRD without WINGS

I'm gonna FIGHT for what's RIGHT
Today I'm SPEAKING my MIND
And if it KILLS me TONIGHT
I will be READY to DIE
I've gotta FIGHT TODAY
To LIVE another DAY
SPEAKING my mind TODAY
My VOICE will be heard TODAY

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 am

User Image

When Hogwarts founders Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin first formed Hogwarts, they personally selected the students who would go to each of their houses. After a certain point, they realized that they weren’t going to live forever, and that they needed to find a way to sort the students once they were gone. According to legend, Godric Gryffindor, struck by a moment of genius, removed the wizard’s hat from his head and he and the other four founders ‘put some brains in its head,’ which has long been believed to be a reference to enchanting it to both become sentient and gifting it with the ability of read minds. As few wizards have ever worn the hat more than once, its selection process has remained shrouded in mystery, despite the fact that every wizard or witch to attend Hogwarts was sorted by it, and thus subjected to that process. According to every source, it is supposed to place students as the founders would have, that is, by placing brave students in Gryffindor, kind students in Hufflepuff, smart students in Ravenclaw and ambitious students in Slytherin. However, evidence suggests that there is more to the process than this. Examples include the sorting of Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom. Both students were sorted into Gryffindor, despite little evidence that either of them possessed the traits that would have led Gryffindor to covet either of them at the time. Granger, well known for being the smartest witch in her year, was quiet and bookish, almost certainly better suited for Ravenclaw. Longbottom was shy and clumsy, and most likely would have been chosen by Hufflepuff, and indeed is believed to have requested the hat place him there. In both cases, later in life they would come to exemplify those qualities which Gryffindor valued in his students. This would suggest that perhaps the Hat sorts students, not for the traits they possess, but those that they have potential for, which must be nurtured. It can be argued that perhaps, had Granger been sorted into Ravenclaw, she would have remained quiet and bookish, and never risen to her potential in the areas of bravery. Similarly, Longbottom, without the influence of the stigma of Gryffindor house, might have remained shy and unsure of himself. As both students played important roles in the defeat of the Dark Lord Voldemort, one reasons that perhaps the Hat was aware that the cultivation of these traits, they would have never lived up to their full potential, and leads one to question what might have happened in that fateful era without their presence in Gryffindor House. On the inverse, it seems that you need not possess those traits at all, as Peter Pettigrew was sorted into Gryffindor. In later years, he would show to be quite the coward, selling out friends James and Lily Potter to the Dark Lord Voldemort out of fear for his own life. Perhaps this is because the hat placed him for his own preference, as he is known to have admired Potter and his friends Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. It might also be surmised that the hat placed him in the hopes that his weakness would be overcome and he would grow out of his cowardice. Unfortunately, we know this was not the case. The hat’s assessment of Pettigrew seems to have been one of its rare misjudgments.

Homework: Recount your own sorting, and discuss what traits you believe contributed to your placement.

First Lesson Survey:

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

OOC:

XxXDevil-Chan

Miss GryffindorK

heather030595

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 am
User Image
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // No onespacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Surprisedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Really? No one's arrived yet? Oh, dear...' spacespac

დ დ დ The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes
But we are hiding in a safer place.
დ დ დ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

Amata had all but run to her classroom, visibly bothered by the fact that she was running a tad late. In all her time teaching, even last term when she'd been completely out of it because of worrying about Grayson, she'd never once been late to her own lesson. But, it seemed that this year would be the first. She entered the room, fully expecting to see three students already present and awaiting her arrival, but instead was greeted by... nothing. No one was there yet. She frowned. Really? She was at least five minutes late, probably closer to ten, and not a single student had showed? Ah, well. She supposed she couldn't get on to them for being late when she had been as well. So, she sat down on the edge of her desk, ankles crossed, and waited.

დ დ დ Under covers staying safe and warm
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

Miss GryffindorK
Romulus Bleiddiaid

XxXDevil-chan
Elliryanna McHalen

heather030595
Chance Carlson

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:23 pm

User Image

When Hogwarts founders Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin first formed Hogwarts, they personally selected the students who would go to each of their houses. After a certain point, they realized that they weren’t going to live forever, and that they needed to find a way to sort the students once they were gone. According to legend, Godric Gryffindor, struck by a moment of genius, removed the wizard’s hat from his head and he and the other four founders ‘put some brains in its head,’ which has long been believed to be a reference to enchanting it to both become sentient and gifting it with the ability of read minds. As few wizards have ever worn the hat more than once, its selection process has remained shrouded in mystery, despite the fact that every wizard or witch to attend Hogwarts was sorted by it, and thus subjected to that process. According to every source, it is supposed to place students as the founders would have, that is, by placing brave students in Gryffindor, kind students in Hufflepuff, smart students in Ravenclaw and ambitious students in Slytherin. However, evidence suggests that there is more to the process than this. Examples include the sorting of Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom. Both students were sorted into Gryffindor, despite little evidence that either of them possessed the traits that would have led Gryffindor to covet either of them at the time. Granger, well known for being the smartest witch in her year, was quiet and bookish, almost certainly better suited for Ravenclaw. Longbottom was shy and clumsy, and most likely would have been chosen by Hufflepuff, and indeed is believed to have requested the hat place him there. In both cases, later in life they would come to exemplify those qualities which Gryffindor valued in his students. This would suggest that perhaps the Hat sorts students, not for the traits they possess, but those that they have potential for, which must be nurtured. It can be argued that perhaps, had Granger been sorted into Ravenclaw, she would have remained quiet and bookish, and never risen to her potential in the areas of bravery. Similarly, Longbottom, without the influence of the stigma of Gryffindor house, might have remained shy and unsure of himself. As both students played important roles in the defeat of the Dark Lord Voldemort, one reasons that perhaps the Hat was aware that the cultivation of these traits, they would have never lived up to their full potential, and leads one to question what might have happened in that fateful era without their presence in Gryffindor House. On the inverse, it seems that you need not possess those traits at all, as Peter Pettigrew was sorted into Gryffindor. In later years, he would show to be quite the coward, selling out friends James and Lily Potter to the Dark Lord Voldemort out of fear for his own life. Perhaps this is because the hat placed him for his own preference, as he is known to have admired Potter and his friends Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. It might also be surmised that the hat placed him in the hopes that his weakness would be overcome and he would grow out of his cowardice. Unfortunately, we know this was not the case. The hat’s assessment of Pettigrew seems to have been one of its rare misjudgments.

Homework: Recount your own sorting, and discuss what traits you believe contributed to your placement.

First Lesson Survey:

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

OOC:

Rawwry
Aubrey Gardiner

Diamond Wales
Luke Nalson

shabatha
Shayna Snow

heather030595
Annabeth Fletcher

IceGrayWolf
Xavier Nicholson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:31 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // No onespacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Calmspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'New year, new students... or not, since this is Mythology III...' spacespac

დ დ დ The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes
But we are hiding in a safer place.
დ დ დ

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "Hello, everyone, I'm Amata Harlowe, and I'll be your Mythology professor. You can call me Professor Harlowe. Now, when you arrive in my class, the first thing you should do is copy down the day's notes from the board. I'll give you a few minutes to do that, and then we'll begin a discussion on the lesson's subject. I'd like you all to know that this lesson operates mostly on a discussion basis. That is, I will give the information that the lesson covers, and then I'll open the floor for discussion. Any student who contributes will earn house points, provided that their contribution is not offensive or rude or disruptive. Please respect your fellow students and their opinions, even if you don't agree with them."

spaceAmata paused, giving them a moment to let that sink in. Not that she expected problems from any of them, but one could never be too sure, after all. After a decent pause, she began a short lecture. "You are all, of course, familiar with the Sorting Hat. You have all had it placed upon your head, heard its voice whisper in your ear, assessing your personality, your brains and heart, and had it proclaim which house shall be your home. However, in spite of almost every witch and wizard to live in the United Kingdom for the last thousand years having come into contact with the hat, it still remains a mystery. Its methods are complex, its thought processes unknown. Though it knows exactly how the mind of every person in this room works, or at least how they worked on their first night in this castle, there is not a person in this entire castle who can say that they truly understand how the hat works. It is a complete mystery. At times, its choices seem obvious. Harry Potter was, of course, a Gryffindor. But, Potter would tell many people in later years that the Hat had almost insisted on placing him in Slytherin. It was only Potter's preference that he go into, in his words, 'absolutely any other house,' that prevented this from taking place. Now, to my Slytherins, please don't take offense at this. Remember that, at the time, Slytherin's reputation was standing in the shadow of the Dark Lord Voldemort and the first Wizarding War. Anything young Harry Potter had heard of the house was from the lips of people who feared that its reputation might prove true. Other examples of seemingly obvious sortings abound. And yet, there are examples of sortings that leave historians scratching their heads and asking, why? Why was Dumbledore, one of the brightest wizards of our age, a Gryffindor, and not a Ravenclaw? Why was the cowardly and easily influenced Peter Pettigrew placed in the house known for bravery? There are many theories, and few answers. It remains a subject of mystery. Interestingly enough, few people have ever asked the Hat. Now, does anyone have any questions, wish to share the story of their own sorting perhaps?" Amata stopped there, feeling as though she'd been talking her student's ears off. She did hope that this lecture was at least as interesting as the first lesson for Mythology two; students did tend to find the Sorting hat interesting, after all, right? She certainly had.

დ დ დ Under covers staying safe and warm
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:38 pm

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's office before the end of Lesson 2.

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff