Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Sixth Year Classes
Mythology IV ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:34 pm
Lesson 1: The Death of Rowena Ravenclaw

User Image

Little is known about the exact details of Ravenclaw’s demise. The only facts we are certain of are as follows: After Helena Ravenclaw stole her mother’s famous diadem, Ravenclaw kept the theft a secret. Shortly after, she fell ill. Knowing that whatever sickness she had was fatal and that her time was near, she asked her daughter’s former lover, The Bloody Baron, to track down her daughter, not in retribution, but so that they could be reunited. However, Helena refused to return with him. The encounter resulted in the death of both the Baron and Helena. Sadly, mother and daughter were never reunited, and there was no reconciliation between the two. Legend holds that Ravenclaw’s heart was broken as a result of her daughter’s treachery and disappearance, and that this was the main cause of her untimely death.

Homework: Do you believe that it is possible for a person to die of sorrow? Why or why not?

First Lesson Survey:

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

heather030595
Chance Carlson

Miss GryffindorK
Romulus Bleiddiaid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:40 pm
User Image
Amata is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Amusedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Well, it is lovely to be back... both figuratively and literally.' spacespac

დ დ დ The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes
But we are hiding in a safer place.
დ დ დ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "It's good to see you all back. I don't think I really need to bother with the introduction this year. You've all been around long enough. I will take your forms, since you took the trouble to fill them out."She crossed her legs at the ankles, summoned the papers to her desk, and stacked them neatly before turning back to her students.

space"Now then. Onto the lecture. Rowena Ravenclaw was, as you all know, the founder of Ravenclaw house and one of the four founding members of our school. The story of her death is one shrouded in mystery and sorrow. The story, which was until the time of the second Wizarding War entirely speculative, has come to light thanks to Harry Potter and his search for the truth. Few knew that Ravenclaw had a daughter, named Helena. This daughter was her one love, the person who she cared about more than anything in the world. But, Helena at times was troubled, and grew to resent her mother for the shadow she'd cast on the girl. Out of retribution, Helena stole the Diadem of Ravenclaw, which was said to offer its wearer wisdom. Soon after, Ravenclaw fell ill. Desperate to reconcile with her daughter and retrieve the stolen artifact, which could prove incredibly dangerous in the wrong hands, Ravenclaw requested the assistance of her daughter's former lover. When he found the girl, there was a struggle, which led to the death of both Helena Ravenclaw and her lover. Ravenclaw was said to have died of sorrow shortly thereafter. Helena Ravenclaw and the man sent to find her would return to Hogwarts Castle as ghosts, known by many of you as The Gray Lady and the Bloody Baron." She made sure to talk slowly, knowing that it was a lot of information to copy down. She paused once it was all out there, and smiled. "So what do you all think? Truth, or rumors? Legend, or fact? And questions or comments?" She waited patiently, curious. One of her favorite parts of teaching was getting to pick the brains of her students and see what they had to say. Especially at this level; they were old enough to think critically, mature enough to form their own opinions, and set enough in their own ways to dislike it when people disagreed with them. It was always interesting to see if they'd agree and back one another up, or disagree and start a debate. So long as nothing became hostile, she didn't care either way.

დ დ დ Under covers staying safe and warm
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 pm
Lesson 2: Ravenclaw's Contributions to Hogwarts

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hogwarts was the dream of its four magical founders. The four of them sought to build a school where magical children could come to learn to use their talents to the best of their ability. As each founder had their own strengths, each contributed something different to the construction and running of the school. Most of the specifics on who did what have long since been lost, and the completion of the school has become a conglomeration of their efforts. However, there are a few things of which we can be almost certain, simply knowing what we do of each of the founders. The most widely accepted assumption credits Ravenclaw with the school’s ever changing floor plan. Prideful of her intellect and a lover of puzzles, Ravenclaw sought to make the school a challenge in all aspects. Thus, she developed the idea of staircases that move, trick stairs and false corridors. Presumably, she can also be credited with the invention of several of the castles’ most interesting areas, such as the Room of Requirement. As Ravenclaw was well known for being an expert in almost all wandwork, there is little doubt that she would have been able to devise such spells as those that cause our halls to alter themselves and rooms to disappear. We can also surmise that she had a hand in some of the school’s defense mechanisms, such as the spell that hides it from muggles and the protective barrier. The most interesting of these features is the creation of magical golems, which can be awakened to act as an army in defense of the school. Many believe that Ravenclaw was involved in the creation of this particular defense, although it is widely accepted that it was chiefly the idea of Godric Gryffindor, who was known for being a master duelist and an expert on any tactical magic.

Homework: Think of the things that make Hogwarts unique. What contributions do you think each of the founders might have made to the school, aside from those mentioned already in class?

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

Miss GryffindorK
Romulus Bleiddiaid
Present 0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm
User Image
Amata is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspaces
CURRENTLY FEELING // Calmspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'This always makes for a fun lesson...' spacespac

დ დ დ

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Afternoon, class. Since last week we learned about Rowena Ravenclaw and her death, this lesson is about her contributions to the school. As you all know, Hogwarts was the brainchild of the four greatest witches and wizards of their era, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw. Each of the founders dedicated much to the building of the school, to its design and its systems. However, some of Hogwarts most exceptional features are most often credited to Ravenclaw. Being the cleverest of the founders, it is no surprise that it is widely believed that she was the one to envision the ever-changing floorplan, the magical rooms and complex passages. While she was, of course, helped by and occasionally inspired by her fellow founders, the majority of the work in making these ideas a reality is credited to her. While the work of each of the founders can be found within the castle walls, hers is some of the more obvious." Amata paused there, waiting for her students to catch up on their notes. "Does anyone have any thoughts on the lesson? Questions, opinions they'd like to share?" Amata waited patiently to see if anyone had anything to say.

დ დ დ Under covers staying dry and warm
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 pm

User Image

Little is known about the exact details of Ravenclaw’s demise. The only facts we are certain of are as follows: After Helena Ravenclaw stole her mother’s famous diadem, Ravenclaw kept the theft a secret. Shortly after, she fell ill. Knowing that whatever sickness she had was fatal and that her time was near, she asked her daughter’s former lover, The Bloody Baron, to track down her daughter, not in retribution, but so that they could be reunited. However, Helena refused to return with him. The encounter resulted in the death of both the Baron and Helena. Sadly, mother and daughter were never reunited, and there was no reconciliation between the two. Legend holds that Ravenclaw’s heart was broken as a result of her daughter’s treachery and disappearance, and that this was the main cause of her untimely death.

Homework: Do you believe that it is possible for a person to die of sorrow? Why or why not?

First Lesson Survey: Please fill this out and include it in your first post.

[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

Rawwry
Aubrey Gardiner
Present: 0/4
Absent: 4/4

shabatha
Shayna Snow

IceGrayWolf
Xavier Nicholson

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 pm
User Image
𝔸𝕞𝕒𝕥𝕒 𝕚𝕤...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // fancying Grayson Powellspace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in the Mythology Classroomspaces
CURRENTLY FEELING // Amusedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Well, it is lovely to be back... both figuratively and literally.' spacespac

დ დ დ

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "It's good to see you all back. I don't think I really need to bother with the introduction this year. You've all been around long enough. I will take your forms, since you took the trouble to fill them out."She crossed her legs at the ankles, summoned the papers to her desk, and stacked them neatly before turning back to her students.

space"Now then. Onto the lecture. Rowena Ravenclaw was, as you all know, the founder of Ravenclaw house and one of the four founding members of our school. The story of her death is one shrouded in mystery and sorrow. The story, which was until the time of the second Wizarding War entirely speculative, has come to light thanks to Harry Potter and his search for the truth. Few knew that Ravenclaw had a daughter, named Helena. This daughter was her one love, the person who she cared about more than anything in the world. But, Helena at times was troubled, and grew to resent her mother for the shadow she'd cast on the girl. Out of retribution, Helena stole the Diadem of Ravenclaw, which was said to offer its wearer wisdom. Soon after, Ravenclaw fell ill. Desperate to reconcile with her daughter and retrieve the stolen artifact, which could prove incredibly dangerous in the wrong hands, Ravenclaw requested the assistance of her daughter's former lover. When he found the girl, there was a struggle, which led to the death of both Helena Ravenclaw and her lover. Ravenclaw was said to have died of sorrow shortly thereafter. Helena Ravenclaw and the man sent to find her would return to Hogwarts Castle as ghosts, known by many of you as The Gray Lady and the Bloody Baron." She made sure to talk slowly, knowing that it was a lot of information to copy down. She paused once it was all out there, and smiled. "So what do you all think? Truth, or rumors? Legend, or fact? And questions or comments?" She waited patiently, curious. One of her favorite parts of teaching was getting to pick the brains of her students and see what they had to say. Especially at this level; they were old enough to think critically, mature enough to form their own opinions, and set enough in their own ways to dislike it when people disagreed with them. It was always interesting to see if they'd agree and back one another up, or disagree and start a debate. So long as nothing became hostile, she didn't care either way.

დ დ დ Under covers staying safe and warm
                                                          დ დ დ

User Image

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:32 pm

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:34 pm

User Image

Hogwarts was the dream of its four magical founders. The four of them sought to build a school where magical children could come to learn to use their talents to the best of their ability. As each founder had their own strengths, each contributed something different to the construction and running of the school. Most of the specifics on who did what have long since been lost, and the completion of the school has become a conglomeration of their efforts. However, there are a few things of which we can be almost certain, simply knowing what we do of each of the founders. The most widely accepted assumption credits Ravenclaw with the school’s ever changing floor plan. Prideful of her intellect and a lover of puzzles, Ravenclaw sought to make the school a challenge in all aspects. Thus, she developed the idea of staircases that move, trick stairs and false corridors. Presumably, she can also be credited with the invention of several of the castles’ most interesting areas, such as the Room of Requirement. As Ravenclaw was well known for being an expert in almost all wandwork, there is little doubt that she would have been able to devise such spells as those that cause our halls to alter themselves and rooms to disappear. We can also surmise that she had a hand in some of the school’s defense mechanisms, such as the spell that hides it from muggles and the protective barrier. The most interesting of these features is the creation of magical golems, which can be awakened to act as an army in defense of the school. Many believe that Ravenclaw was involved in the creation of this particular defense, although it is widely accepted that it was chiefly the idea of Godric Gryffindor, who was known for being a master duelist and an expert on any tactical magic.

Homework: Think of the things that make Hogwarts unique. What contributions do you think each of the founders might have made to the school, aside from those mentioned already in class?

OOC:

Rawwry
Aubrey Gardiner

shabatha
Shayna Snow

IceGrayWolf
Xavier Nicholson

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:36 pm
User Image

დ დ დ

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Afternoon, class. Since last week we learned about Rowena Ravenclaw and her death, this lesson is about her contributions to the school. As you all know, Hogwarts was the brainchild of the four greatest witches and wizards of their era, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw. Each of the founders dedicated much to the building of the school, to its design and its systems. However, some of Hogwarts most exceptional features are most often credited to Ravenclaw. Being the cleverest of the founders, it is no surprise that it is widely believed that she was the one to envision the ever-changing floorplan, the magical rooms and complex passages. While she was, of course, helped by and occasionally inspired by her fellow founders, the majority of the work in making these ideas a reality is credited to her. While the work of each of the founders can be found within the castle walls, hers is some of the more obvious." Amata paused there, waiting for her students to catch up on their notes. "Does anyone have any thoughts on the lesson? Questions, opinions they'd like to share?" Amata waited patiently to see if anyone had anything to say.

დ დ დ

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:53 pm

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 2 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 3.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm
Lesson 3: The Boy Who Lived

User Image

The Boy Who Lived is one of the many titles given to Harry Potter, one of the most famous wizards of all time, and for good reason. Many years ago, a prophecy was given which spoke of a boy whose fate would be to defeat the Dark Lord Voldemort. This prophecy was overheard by one of Voldemort’s followers, who informed his Lord shortly after and set into motions the events that would lead to the death of the Potter family. On the October 31, 1981, Voldemort descended upon the Potter’s home at Godric’s Hollow, tipped off to their hidden location by Peter Pettigrew, a former friend. He entered the home and first killed James Potter, then proceeded to the bedroom, where he killed Lily Potter and attempted to do away with the boy he was certain would be his downfall. But, when he turned his wand on Harry, the spell somehow rebounded and instead seemed to kill Voldemort instead, leaving Harry with nothing more than a lightning bolt shaped scar. Years later, it would become apparent that the spell only destroyed his body, and through the use of Horcruxes, Voldemort was able to return. He would then spend years attempting to return himself to a proper body, attempting such methods as drinking the blood of Unicorns and attempting to steal the Sorceror’s Stone. He would finally succeed in re-embodying himself in June of 1994. The following year would mark his virtually unnoticed rise to power, during which time the Ministry made great efforts to discredit Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore, both of whom were attempting to spread word that Voldemort had indeed returned. His return was made public in June 1996, after which the Ministry made brief efforts to prevent his rise before he and his people infiltrated their offices and Voldemort began to unofficially run most of the major wizarding offices through figureheads. During this time, Harry Potter and his friends Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger were travelling the countryside. Many believed that Potter was running from Voldemort, but they were in fact making efforts to collect and destroy the Horcruxes Voldemort had created so that they could finish him off once and for all. They eventually returned to Hogwarts, where they met and fought Voldemort’s forces. Despite many casualties on both sides, Potter’s efforts proved successful as all the Horcruxes were destroyed.

Homework: Consider the Prophecy that spurned Voldemort to attack the Potters at Godric's Hollow. How might our world be different now if not for that prophecy?

OOC:

Rawwry
Aubrey Gardiner

shabatha
Shayna Snow

IceGrayWolf
Xavier Nicholson

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:23 pm
User Image

დ დ დ

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Afternoon, class. Today we'll be covering 'The Boy Who Lived,' Harry Potter. I'm sure you all know the name fairly well, of course, but we'll be discussing some of the more... fantastical aspects of his history. I'm sure you all have heard various tall tales about him. When he was in school, rumors about him abounded. In his second year, people claimed that he was the Heir of Slytherin. When the Ministry attempted to discredit him and Professor Albus Dumbledore immediately following the Dark Lord's rise, they claimed he was crazy, that he was merely looking for attention, anything they could to keep people from taking him seriously. In the days of Voldemort's return after it became common knowledge but before he managed to take over much of society, Potter was regarded as a hero, and became even more of a celebrity than he already was, with all sorts of strange and sometimes pointless rumors cropping up, such as that he had a tattoo or that he had a foreign girlfriend. Then, once Voldemort seized control of the Ministry, there were rumors of his misdeeds, of his location, lies told to turn him into a public menace. We're currently at a very interesting point in time, one where, in truth, it's becoming very hard to say how much of anything said about him is true. We are, in a way, watching the very creation of a myth. In a hundred years, he'll be a distant historical figure. In another hundred, things will begin to get fuzzy, the fact and fiction mixing until even historians don't know where to draw the line." Amata paused there, waiting for her students to catch up on their notes. "Does anyone have any thoughts on the lesson? Questions, opinions they'd like to share? Maybe a prediction about the sort of stories our descendants will tell about the famous Harry Potter?" Amata waited patiently to see if anyone had anything to say.

დ დ დ

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:13 am

User Image

First Lesson Survey: Please fill this out and include it in your first post.

OOC:

shabatha
Rowan Elliott

Essy ze Ninja
Christian Barrett

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 am
User Image

ℂ𝕌ℝℝ𝔼ℕ𝕋𝕃𝕐
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Students
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Excited
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ New year, new students... let's see what this batch is like. ❞

╚═══════════════════════════════╝

The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes, დ დ დxxx
                                                          But we are hiding in a safer place. დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          Under covers staying dry and warm; დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore. დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          xxxდ დ დ It starts in my toes, makes me crinkle my nose.
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ Wherever it goes, I always know
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ That you make me smile, please stay for a while.
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ Just take your time, wherever you go.

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 am

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

Sixth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff