Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven
Atheism 101 - A learning and discussion thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:51 pm
Gigi Deveraux

That's why I put "I think." I never told anyone what to do or think. Believe what you want to. It's not my business. I'm speaking from my mind, not for everyone.

Though I disagree with your three reasons, I'm not going to get into it. It's up to you what you believe.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 pm
Let's remember to keep this place positive, guys. heart I'd hate to see this thread get shut down. I was worried about making it just because both sides get defensive when confronted, I was hoping to get some questions and dispel misconceptions about atheism and maybe get into discussions (through PM if need be).  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 pm
I know, you're right. And I'm trying .__.' I just don't like when people assume though, or don't know the meaning of opinions or that people have different beliefs. I'm discussing as much as possible; I'm not here to push things on anyone. ♥  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm
It's stuff like "bad things happen because of sin" that gets my dander up because it's so simplistic. The Universe - or God, if you like - operates on a far larger scale than what we puny little humans do.

I'm perfectly willing to discuss things in a civilized manner, as long as questions are not disallowed or dismissed.

And by the way, since this is a thread on atheism, can we please keep on topic and leave Rabbi Yeshua ben Yousef out of it?  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

The Soul Dew Guardian

Timid Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 am
(I felt like this post belonged in this thread. I don't want to cause arguments or anything, but I'm wondering if anyone is in a smiliar situation right now. If you find it offensive for any weird reason, then just ignore this post.)
I was raised in a Christian family, but my parents never really took me to church except for when I was 6 years old. We just stopped for some reason. But my grandparents on my dad's side (and now my aunt and uncle) go to church every Sunday.
To be honest, I don't believe that there is a God, and I'm not sure if my family knows it (or wants to acknowledge it). Actually, I got into an argument with my dad about it one time after I left from a play early (It was Godspell, a religious play, and I thought it was horribly boring, so I didn't want to sit through Act 2). My dad told me that night that he wanted me to go to church, "because it's good for you." Well, if I don't want to be part of your religion, then why do you want to force me to waste 2 hours of my life every Sunday? ... Is what I wish I could tell him. I just don't believe in it, and I wish that he would understand that and accept it. I mean, I respect that that's what believe in, but can you please respect that that's not what I believe in?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:13 pm
The Soul Dew Guardian
I think it definitely belongs here.

I know that feeling; despite how it seems, your family is just doing what they think is best for you. Your dad believes that Christianity will keep your soul intact and let you live forever in Heaven, and that's a decent wish from a parent. However, being forced to go to church as a nonbeliever is... incredibly uncomfortable. It's easy to spend the whole time thinking "well that's silly...."

As tough as it is, sometimes the easiest thing to do is to live with it until you can get away from it. As in, if your family would be deeply offended (I'm in the Bible Belt, and I'm lucky my mom didn't mind too much; I know of people who have been disowned for coming out as atheists before they could live on their own), keep it secret until you are on your own and financially stable, or when they can't know you aren't going to church (college?). It sucks, but it's far better than being kicked out.

If you think that you could reason with them and that they'd understand, try sitting them down and having a serious talk. Back off if they get upset. If they get very defensive, back off. If they get pissed, back off. If they're distressed but are asking why in a non-angry way, maybe try explaining that you respect Christianity, but some parts of the Bible and what it says just don't make sense to you. Tell them that they raised a child who could think for themselves, and that you're using your logic to choose how you see the world. Basically, try to frame it in as positive of a way as you can.

I really wish you the best of luck; this seems to be a common issue, especially among young atheists, and it's absolutely difficult to go through. I'm always here to listen if you need it. (:  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

CapCrack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 am
I thought that all atheism is agnosticism, since one cannot prove the existence of the metaphysical and thus cannot be 100% sure of atheism.
I know that Dawkins calls himself an atheist, but when searched on technicalities, actually calls himself an agnostic.

Any comments on this thought?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:31 am
CapCrack
I thought that all atheism is agnosticism, since one cannot prove the existence of the metaphysical and thus cannot be 100% sure of atheism.
I know that Dawkins calls himself an atheist, but when searched on technicalities, actually calls himself an agnostic.

Well, aside from the entire uncertainty thing (remember, religious people take their beliefs on faith, no pun intended), there is agnostic theism, and agnostic atheism.

Agnostic theism: We can't be sure but there might be a God. This is what is usually meant by agnosticism.

Agnostic atheism: We can't be sure but there probably isn't a God. This is what's usually meant by atheism.

I'm definitely in the latter camp now, at least where the Judeo-Christo-Islamic deity is concerned.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

CapCrack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm
Gigi Deveraux
CapCrack

Well, aside from the entire uncertainty thing (remember, religious people take their beliefs on faith, no pun intended), there is agnostic theism, and agnostic atheism.

Agnostic theism: We can't be sure but there might be a God. This is what is usually meant by agnosticism.

Agnostic atheism: We can't be sure but there probably isn't a God. This is what's usually meant by atheism.

I'm definitely in the latter camp now, at least where the Judeo-Christo-Islamic deity is concerned.

Good to know. But just wondering, how would you define faith?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:02 pm
CapCrack
Good to know. But just wondering, how would you define faith?

Faith is usually defined as absolute conviction without any sort of proof.

(On a totally unrelated note: I browse TV Tropes on a daily basis, and every time I see your username I unconsciously rewrite it to match the Crapsack World entry there cat_redface Sorry! cat_redface )  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

MoiraSiobahn

Magic Shade

9,050 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 am
SkyEvermore
I was technically raised as a Christian (baptist), though I didn't fully understand it until my freshman year. I never believed atheists were devil-worshipers or anything, because I know they don't believe in it. I can see why people would want proof, and it'd be nice to see some myself, but it's just about faith, believing in something you can't physically see.

Lots of people claim to be "Christians," but in reality, they may most likely have no idea what they're talking about. We have no right to judge others no matter what they do. It's all about love.
Yes, LOVE is what it is all about! If LOVE were the main focus, the world would be a much better place.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:50 pm
So....atheist do not celebrate religious holidays such as Christmas or Easter right? Because both of those are religious holidays celebrated by Christians. But not just Christian holidays. They do not celebrate any religious holidays at all right?  

Lady Anonymys

Durem Citizen

Hypocoristical

Tasty Marshmallow

43,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Buggin' 500
  • Fusion Master 1000
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:10 pm
I wouldn't say, "Christian" holidays are purely that. Most are rooted in Pagan beliefs, ceremonies, and customs, that the church had adapted to further convert the "Heathens". Or to lessen the resistance of changing Pagans to Christian.

Being an Atheist myself, I honor the spirit of the holiday. Togetherness, being with family, and charity. I don't believe there has to be an understanding that it's because of a religion, that I have to do this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 pm
xXTeal BloodXx
So....atheist do not celebrate religious holidays such as Christmas or Easter right? Because both of those are religious holidays celebrated by Christians. But not just Christian holidays. They do not celebrate any religious holidays at all right?
It depends on the person. Honestly, a lot of religious holidays have been commercialized to the point that it's not about religious beliefs.

Personally, I celebrate Christmas and Easter, but not as a Christian holiday. I use it as a time to celebrate my friends and family and give them gifts. It has no religious meaning to me, but then again it doesn't always have meaning to religious people either, thanks to commercialization.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Lady Anonymys

Durem Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:19 pm
Shimo Kousetsu
xXTeal BloodXx
It depends on the person. Honestly, a lot of religious holidays have been commercialized to the point that it's not about religious beliefs.

Personally, I celebrate Christmas and Easter, but not as a Christian holiday. I use it as a time to celebrate my friends and family and give them gifts. It has no religious meaning to me, but then again it doesn't always have meaning to religious people either, thanks to commercialization.
In the area where I live everyone is not Christian so people always say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". They always say that instead because they say its rude to assume everyone is Christian. But why would you celebrate it then? Both holidays were created because of Jesus Christ and you said atheist do not believe in him. If you are an atheist...how would you even enjoy the holiday?  
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff