Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Is it just me or do Pride Parades seem too sexualized? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iPervertedxCupcake

Vicious Cutie-Pie

14,800 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm
I don't know. The ones I go to in San Francisco have people running around dressed as turkeys... which was last year.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 am
yes, but no. i don't need to see someone wearing assless chaps who's dancing (i don't need to see anyone's butt uncovered, really) or someone running around in a sexy costume either. those parts, yeah, their sexualized, and it's a bit uncomfortable for me to look at solely because of the assless chaps and all of the clothing like it (like i said, i don't need to see someone's uncovered butt. i also don't need to see someone in a sexy nurse outfit or anything like that.)

but at the same time, no, because a lot of people don't run around in stuff like that. a lot of people wear t-shirts, shorts, and sneakers and they'll be running around chucking confetti or something and dancing along with everyone else and sometimes shaking their butts.

so some of it, yes it's definitely crazy sexualized. some parts, no.

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
...and it's a bit uncomfortable for me to look...

I'm curious- do you know why you're uncomfortable?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm
I just don't understand the reason to walk around in assless chaps and skimpy clothes to show pride in your sexuality. People don't like gays because they think we're all ugly body-less fat lards. They don't like us because they think it's gross to see another boy kiss a boy and a another girl kiss a girl or because they think homosexuality is a sin. How exactly does walking around half naked show pride in who you love? I would think it would be better suited to show pride in your body.  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:42 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria
...and it's a bit uncomfortable for me to look...

I'm curious- do you know why you're uncomfortable?

i just get uncomfortable looking at anyone who's wearing just a speedo or is in a skimpy outfit. it's awkward, for some reason. .-.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

i just get uncomfortable looking at anyone who's wearing just a speedo or is in a skimpy outfit. it's awkward, for some reason. .-.

That's really more of a what than a why- I was hoping you knew why bodies and sexuality freaked you out.

noigel
I just don't understand the reason to walk around in assless chaps and skimpy clothes to show pride in your sexuality.
It's about being able to freely express yourself in equal ways- straight people wear skimpy clothing, but if it is gay people it's suddenly bad?
Quote:

People don't like gays because they think we're all ugly body-less fat lards.
I really don't think that's the main reason behind homophobia- it has a lot less to do with physical attractiveness and more to do with feelings of insecurity.

Quote:
They don't like us because they think it's gross to see another boy kiss a boy and a another girl kiss a girl or because they think homosexuality is a sin.
That much is part of homophobia- but it's perfectly ok for straights to kiss their loved ones- so expressing ourselves the way straights are able to is a sign of equality and that's something to take pride in.

Quote:
How exactly does walking around half naked show pride in who you love?
Because it isn't creating the illusion that the only people who are allowed sexual expression are the people Homophobes approve of. cat_rolleyes  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

That's really more of a what than a why- I was hoping you knew why bodies and sexuality freaked you out.

noigel
I just don't understand the reason to walk around in assless chaps and skimpy clothes to show pride in your sexuality.
It's about being able to freely express yourself in equal ways- straight people wear skimpy clothing, but if it is gay people it's suddenly bad?
Quote:

People don't like gays because they think we're all ugly body-less fat lards.
I really don't think that's the main reason behind homophobia- it has a lot less to do with physical attractiveness and more to do with feelings of insecurity.

Quote:
They don't like us because they think it's gross to see another boy kiss a boy and a another girl kiss a girl or because they think homosexuality is a sin.
That much is part of homophobia- but it's perfectly ok for straights to kiss their loved ones- so expressing ourselves the way straights are able to is a sign of equality and that's something to take pride in.

Quote:
How exactly does walking around half naked show pride in who you love?
Because it isn't creating the illusion that the only people who are allowed sexual expression are the people Homophobes approve of. cat_rolleyes
1. For me it's not a matter of what freaks me out, it's a matter of why can't we just walk around holding hands instead? :/

2. Who said it was only okay for straight people. I don't want to see ANYONE walk around naked. @_@

3. Oops. I think you misinterpreted that statement. I wasn't saying the reason people are homophobic is because being gay people are ugly.

4. If we were to express ourselves the way straights do, we would do just that: Kiss in public. Not run around with no pants on. If it has less to do with physical attractiveness, then why do some people make it out to be so? I would understand someone being called fat and ugly and then wearing a small 2-piece bikini because they are showing they are comfortable with their BODY not who they are attracted to.

5. What?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm
noigel
1. For me it's not a matter of what freaks me out, it's a matter of why can't we just walk around holding hands instead? :/
I quoted someone else with that, but anyway: We do- but we do other stuff to, and the reason a lot of us choose to do other stuff is because we don't feel like we have to have a Homophobes permission to express ourselves.

It's like saying this, and this, this one and this one are all ok, but the moment you have two guys and a rainbow it's unacceptable!

Quote:

2. Who said it was only okay for straight people. I don't want to see ANYONE walk around naked. @_@

It's implied- because you aren't protesting the Naked People! You're protesting people's costume in Pride events. Do you see? It's like people telling me, "We should lock up the niggers, they're drug dealers!"
When there are more white drug dealers than blacks, and they don't get locked up as often, and when they do they get lighter sentences.

"Damn Pride Parades! Why do they have to be so sexualized with naked people!" Heterosexual parties can be just as sexualized, and when they are, people aren't making a huge deal out of them. Why? Because straights being sexual is "normal" and "ok" to homophobes.
Quote:

3. Oops. I think you misinterpreted that statement. I wasn't saying the reason people are homophobic is because being gay people are ugly.
I see- you used English that has two meanings.
Quote:

4. If we were to express ourselves the way straights do, we would do just that: Kiss in public.
If you think that is all that Heterosexual people do- you're really sheltered. I think it is more likely that you just don't notice when het couples do stuff because it's mainstreamed.

Quote:
5. What?
By shaming LGBT people who express themselves, you're not protecting the image of LGBT people, you're creating a "negative tension" where our sexuality and identity is only ok in public when it doesn't offend homophobic people.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:42 pm
Esiris
noigel
I quoted someone else with that, but anyway: We do- but we do other stuff to, and the reason a lot of us choose to do other stuff is because we don't feel like we have to have a Homophobes permission to express ourselves.

It's like saying this, and this, this one and this one are all ok, but the moment you have two guys and a rainbow it's unacceptable!

Quote:

It's implied- because you aren't protesting the Naked People! You're protesting people's costume in Pride events. Do you see? It's like people telling me, "We should lock up the niggers, they're drug dealers!"
When there are more white drug dealers than blacks, and they don't get locked up as often, and when they do they get lighter sentences.

"Damn Pride Parades! Why do they have to be so sexualized with naked people!" Heterosexual parties can be just as sexualized, and when they are, people aren't making a huge deal out of them. Why? Because straights being sexual is "normal" and "ok" to homophobes.
Quote:

I see- you used English that has two meanings.
Quote:

4. If we were to express ourselves the way straights do, we would do just that: Kiss in public.
If you think that is all that Heterosexual people do- you're really sheltered. I think it is more likely that you just don't notice when het couples do stuff because it's mainstreamed.

Quote:
5. What?
By shaming LGBT people who express themselves, you're not protecting the image of LGBT people, you're creating a "negative tension" where our sexuality and identity is only ok in public when it doesn't offend homophobic people.
I think I see what you're saying. I think the extravagant drag costumes in Pride Parades are fabulous and awesome. I guess it's just because they don't show as much skin in the last photos and show actual symbolism. When I just see a guy in underwear, I don't see any message behind that other than he could just as well be a straight guy who just wants to show off his muscles. He could have pulled off the same effect if he was wearing a shirt with the rainbow logo or just had put on some pants. It just seems... distracting from the point.. But I guess that's a personal problem.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 pm
noigel
When I just see a guy in underwear, I don't see any message behind that other than he could just as well be a straight guy who just wants to show off his muscles.
So why stop them? Women wear less on the beach- so what if a guy is wearing the equivalent?

Quote:
He could have pulled off the same effect if he was wearing a shirt with the rainbow logo or just had put on some pants. It just seems... distracting from the point.. But I guess that's a personal problem.

I think that people are trying to stop LGBT people, and shame them- while they're not shaming hets is the problem- and not a distraction from the problem. cat_wink

I don't see a difference between string bikinis and assless chaps.

I think this is about how a bunch of privilege intersects- LGBT people can't express themselves- Het privilege. Women are sexual objects- Male privilege. No one should dress "immodestly"- in the US, that's Christian privilege.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 pm
Esiris
noigel
When I just see a guy in underwear, I don't see any message behind that other than he could just as well be a straight guy who just wants to show off his muscles.
So why stop them? Women wear less on the beach- so what if a guy is wearing the equivalent?

Quote:
He could have pulled off the same effect if he was wearing a shirt with the rainbow logo or just had put on some pants. It just seems... distracting from the point.. But I guess that's a personal problem.

I think that people are trying to stop LGBT people, and shame them- while they're not shaming hets is the problem- and not a distraction from the problem. cat_wink

I don't see a difference between string bikinis and assless chaps.

I think this is about how a bunch of privilege intersects- LGBT people can't express themselves- Het privilege. Women are sexual objects- Male privilege. No one should dress "immodestly"- in the US, that's Christian privilege.
I realize there are some parades where women wear skimpy bikinis to express that they are comfortable with their bodies and their looks no matter how bad people talk down about their looks. And that's perfectly fine. I just don't see the connection between assless chaps & string bikinis with wanting marriage equality & being able to hold hands in public without getting any strange looks. I get that if you're a person who has no problem walking around in that kind of stuff, it shows you are proud of your body and feel secure in your own skin no matter how your physical appearance may look on the outside. But being gay doesn't have anything to do with your physical appearance. I think it would be more effective for people of the same gender to walk side-by-side wearing Tuxedos and/or Weddings Gowns. That's why I feel it is distracting. Focusing more on the physical rather than the actual emotional. Unless they're trying to promote nudism. Then it would make sense.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 pm
Esiris

bodies and sexuality have nothing to do with it.  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:34 pm
noigel
I just don't see the connection between assless chaps & string bikinis with wanting marriage equality & being able to hold hands in public without getting any strange looks.
I think if Pride was supposed to be a Marriage Equality Rally- then it wouldn't be Pride, it would be a rally.

Our ability to hold hands in public is directly related to our sexuality- because the reason people give us weird looks, is tied to what they think happens after that- sex.
Quote:

But being gay doesn't have anything to do with your physical appearance.
I think you're having a hard time understanding what Pride is about- Pride is about celebrating the ability to stand in who we are. Since het. sexuality is "Out", our sexuality should be "Out" too- we should be able to dress in a provocative way that allows society to think of our sexiness as being as valid as het sexiness.
Quote:

I think it would be more effective for people of the same gender to walk side-by-side wearing Tuxedos and/or Weddings Gowns
That's a great idea for a Marriage Equality Parade- you should organize that! It's a shame it's so narrow though- it marginalizes people who aren't binary.

Quote:
That's why I feel it is distracting. Focusing more on the physical rather than the actual emotional. Unless they're trying to promote nudism. Then it would make sense.
Being LGBT isn't limited to marriage equality- and I think this proves my point about being forced into an "Ok if you mimic Het box- but not really because you can't be sexual!" attitude.

Pride includes people who aren't Cis. Who aren't Mono. Who don't want to get married ever. It includes guys who want to have amazing sex with a string of hot guys without attachments and swap the genders too. It includes people who are Bi and want to celebrate their relationship with multiple partners of different genders.

I think when we have people who are LGBT trying to force other LGBT people into boxes to keep the homophobes happy, it's a huge step back for LGBT rights- especially since guys who have lots of het sexual partners are "players" and women are "sluts".
To me it looks like a big heap of sexism and homophobia with a cherry on top.

Dancehall Hysteria

bodies and sexuality have nothing to do with it.

I don't understand what you mean- bodies and sexuality have nothing to do with what? With why you're uncomfortable or with Pride?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:31 pm
Esiris

with why i'm uncomfortable.  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
Esiris

with why i'm uncomfortable.

I'm really confused then- you said "...i don't need to see someone wearing assless chaps ... it's a bit uncomfortable for me to look at solely because of the assless chaps and all of the clothing like it (like i said, i don't need to see someone's uncovered butt. i also don't need to see someone in a sexy nurse outfit or anything like that."
And you said "i just get uncomfortable looking at anyone who's wearing just a speedo or is in a skimpy outfit. it's awkward, for some reason. .-."

If it isn't a body or the sexiness of the outfit, you're doing a great job of confusing me because that's all you're talking about when you say you have a problem with it. cat_sweatdrop  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff