Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Am I the only one..? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheyFoundTheBodies

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:48 pm
zZ-Zain-Zz
Like, when people get mad and say for example, they lose a game and they yell out: "THIS GAME IS SO GAY!!!".

I feel offended, I'm not gay, I'm bi but I still do.

The only reason why I'm offended a little is because it has gotten a trend and it's basically saying that ALL bad things that happen are gay.

So saying being gay is a bad thing?

Is this only me?

i punch bitches when they say that s**t
not really, but it makes me really angry. i'm on vacation right now and my family keeps using it and i get so angry when they do that because they use it in front of me KNOWING that i've been in my school's GSA since it began two years ago.
and whenever i hear anyone else using it it just ruins my day. i feel like hitting things but violence never solved discrimination  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:28 pm
I guess I've gotten to a place where it bugs me a little, but I usually don't get too worked up about it. Most people aren't really trying to be offensive, so an occasional gentle reminder is sometimes a good idea but that's about as far as I'd go.

Ultimately when you're gay, you just kind of have to have a thick skin, because people are going to say stupid offensive stuff and you can't let that get to you.  

Purple Robot Queen

zZ-Zain-Zz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
The intent behind the saying is by no means malicious but it's just like saying "that's retarded".

It has a derogatory context to it and that will never change.

Now just because they don't mean anything particularly scheming behind it doesn't mean it's alright to say it.

I never use the phrase and any time someone around me uses it I kindly correct them.

It's not something we or anyone should have to put up with but for the time being it seems like it'll be a necessity to do so.
Amen  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 pm
TheyFoundTheBodies
zZ-Zain-Zz
Like, when people get mad and say for example, they lose a game and they yell out: "THIS GAME IS SO GAY!!!".

The only reason why I'm offended a little is because it has gotten a trend and it's basically saying that ALL bad things that happen are gay.

Is this only me?

not really, but it makes me really angry. i'm on vacation right now and my family keeps using it and i get so angry when they do that because they use it in front of me KNOWING that i've been in my school's GSA since it began two years ago.
and whenever i hear anyone else using it it just ruins my day. i feel like hitting things but violence never solved discrimination
That sucks emotion_8c And it's disrespectful. I don't get too offended about it but it's really rude to say that kind of s**t.  

zZ-Zain-Zz

TheyFoundTheBodies

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:05 pm
zZ-Zain-Zz
TheyFoundTheBodies
zZ-Zain-Zz

Is this only me?

That sucks emotion_8c And it's disrespectful. I don't get too offended about it but it's really rude to say that kind of s**t.

it might just be me overreacting
emotion_facepalm
but still, to use it in a derogatory way when there are people who are gay out there still getting kicked out of their homes and beaten for being who they are is just not cool at all.
emotion_donotwant  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 pm
TheyFoundTheBodies
zZ-Zain-Zz
TheyFoundTheBodies
zZ-Zain-Zz

Is this only me?

it might just be me overreacting
emotion_facepalm
but still, to use it in a derogatory way when there are people who are gay out there still getting kicked out of their homes and beaten for being who they are is just not cool at all.
emotion_donotwant
Yeah, like sometimes my parents make fun of LGBT people and I just say "Well what's wrong with being Gay/Lesbian/bi/other?" in a really like.. Disapointed tone and they just turn everything awkward after that...  

zZ-Zain-Zz

TheyFoundTheBodies

Distinct Genius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:22 pm
i just gave up. my mother will just ignore me and my brother likes to poke fun at it and ignore the entirety of the issue.

my mother's one of those feel-y people who likes interaction and feels like i hate her if i ignore her so i just lock myself in my room and don't talk to her. i think they base their hatred of LGBTQ people on religion and since i'm an atheist i don't feel like it's my job to tell them what to believe, but they could at least not openly mock things like this.
(also, religion is a touchy subject regardless when people know you don't believe in theirs around where i live)

hahaha, oh man, my mother once told me that she didn't want gays and lesbians marrying because 'they'd have horrible marriages like the rest of us.'
'cuz, you know, that's a great way to justify withholding rights from anyone.
emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm
zZ-Zain-Zz

Is this only me?

It's not just you- in Neurolinguistics they show that associating bad with gay leads to stereotypes and bigotry and abuse of LGBT people, so you're right to not be ok with it.

There is a whole campaign called Think b4 you speak  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

On_A_Cold_Stormy_Night

Beloved Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 am
Somehow it doesn't affect me...I'm a lesbian but when people say things are gay it doesn't affect me at all...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am
zZ-Zain-Zz

Is this only me?

personally i dont think saying something gay is an insult but ppl mean it to be an insult to whatever theyre talking about so it is kind of offensive but i just ignore it  

Justice L Tomlinson

Shirtless Receiver

6,450 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Lovely Morningstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm
I usually don't mind if the person in question has established with me (and proven) they are not homophobic and are actually very supportive of homosexuality, bisexuality trans etc. Then I just take it as a joke.

But when random people say it, it does irk me a little, but I never say anything because I don't know if they are just joking or are serious.

People who I KNOW are not exactly "friends" of the lgbt community who say it will get a lashing of words from me.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm
I actually deleted a good friend of mine from a social networking site the other day for saying "I knew (insert town name here) was full of faggots." To me, I don't care if you were "joking" or it slipped or whatever. If you choose to be an a*****e, then I'll choose to delete you from my life. End of story.  

Shameless Smile

Vilaira

Omnipresent Seraph

16,975 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm
Honestly I've become pretty numb to it, after hearing it pretty commonly for most of my life. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't approve of people throwing it out as an insult, but as far as triggering an emotional response out of me, it doesn't really bother me anymore.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 pm
xMeddle
Honestly I've become pretty numb to it, after hearing it pretty commonly for most of my life. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't approve of people throwing it out as an insult, but as far as triggering an emotional response out of me, it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Necromimi

Hunter

5,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Contributor 150
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers