Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Is Homosexuality A Choice? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jankh27

Greedy Cat

7,000 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am
misslydia1020
no problem. and here's what the bible says about homosexuality:
Quote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22).

Quote:
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13).

and here is the only bible verse I could find that speaks out about transpeople, and even so its not really very clear on that for sure

Quote:
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

there's a reason that I do not follow christianity. I cannot follow a religion where a supposedly loving god creates a being (me) purely for them to be put to death. Where's the love in that?

thank and the reason i dont is cuz i dont feel that the church is willing to will u know like gays and all that  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 am
Nowakia
jankh27
hey all lgbt's i NEED to know Is Homosexuality A Choice?
cuz i dont believe it is so plz tell me want u think or know thank u heart

Hi
I have a degree in human biology. No, your sexual orientation is NOT in any way form or mean a choice, you can't choose your orientation any more than you can you your eye colour or your height. What is choice is whether you act on it, that's the way in anything. You can just be yourself follow nature and instinct as live as a homosexual. Or because of society and its bigotry you can hide your sexuality, force yourself to go with the opposite sex, live a lie and that's really sad. That's what I did and I regret it every day of my life, I've only just come out this week. When I was young I did want my mother, the church, society et al wanted and expected and I was miserable, on antidepressants, and suicidal for years because of it. Over the past two years I've gradually turned my life around, it reached the point where I HAD to come out or I'd have died trying to carry on living a lie pretending to be someone I'm not and no one in the world knowing the real me. You can play happy families on the outside, live life the way others expect you to but your slowly dying on the inside. Everyone, straight or gay or bi or pink spotted alien dude, has the choice how to live their lives, whether to act on desires, wishes, urges, tastes, needs etc. or to fight them ignore those desires and just do what you think is 'right' instead of what you know is 'you'. The next time someone tells you that being homosexual is a choice then ask them if being straight is a choice. Of course it isn't. The chemical hormones in the brain release an emotional response to certain stimuli, we have no control over that, in gay people that stimuli is people of the same gender in straight people that stimuli is the opposite gender. We don't decide who to be attracted to, we don't choose our hormones! So no, biologically speaking no it is not a choice. The choice we have is whether we hide it or not. I am so sad your friend feels the need to hide her sexual orientation because of the church et al but that is her choice, only she knows if she has the strength to follow her heart or must follow the path of safety and secrecy. Either way I hope she will be happy with her decision and lead a happy life, you will have to let go, step back and let her go her own way, its hard for you to give her up but you know the old cliche - you know you truly love someone if you're willing to let them go. She has to work this out for herself sweetie. x
thank u for that is was very helpful and i have no words to say u said it all for me thank you heart  

jankh27

Greedy Cat

7,000 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Dylanseke

Devoted Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:33 am
jankh27
thank u for that is was very helpful and i have no words to say u said it all for me thank you heart

I'm so glad if I was able to help just bit. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 am
Dylanuke
jankh27

I'm so glad if I was able to help just bit. heart

u did thank u heart  

jankh27

Greedy Cat

7,000 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

robodragon5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 pm
jankh27
Nowakia
jankh27
hey all lgbt's i NEED to know Is Homosexuality A Choice?
cuz i dont believe it is so plz tell me want u think or know thank u heart

Hi
I have a degree in human biology. No, your sexual orientation is NOT in any way form or mean a choice, you can't choose your orientation any more than you can you your eye colour or your height. What is choice is whether you act on it, that's the way in anything. You can just be yourself follow nature and instinct as live as a homosexual. Or because of society and its bigotry you can hide your sexuality, force yourself to go with the opposite sex, live a lie and that's really sad. That's what I did and I regret it every day of my life, I've only just come out this week. When I was young I did want my mother, the church, society et al wanted and expected and I was miserable, on antidepressants, and suicidal for years because of it. Over the past two years I've gradually turned my life around, it reached the point where I HAD to come out or I'd have died trying to carry on living a lie pretending to be someone I'm not and no one in the world knowing the real me. You can play happy families on the outside, live life the way others expect you to but your slowly dying on the inside. Everyone, straight or gay or bi or pink spotted alien dude, has the choice how to live their lives, whether to act on desires, wishes, urges, tastes, needs etc. or to fight them ignore those desires and just do what you think is 'right' instead of what you know is 'you'. The next time someone tells you that being homosexual is a choice then ask them if being straight is a choice. Of course it isn't. The chemical hormones in the brain release an emotional response to certain stimuli, we have no control over that, in gay people that stimuli is people of the same gender in straight people that stimuli is the opposite gender. We don't decide who to be attracted to, we don't choose our hormones! So no, biologically speaking no it is not a choice. The choice we have is whether we hide it or not. I am so sad your friend feels the need to hide her sexual orientation because of the church et al but that is her choice, only she knows if she has the strength to follow her heart or must follow the path of safety and secrecy. Either way I hope she will be happy with her decision and lead a happy life, you will have to let go, step back and let her go her own way, its hard for you to give her up but you know the old cliche - you know you truly love someone if you're willing to let them go. She has to work this out for herself sweetie. x
to many people say it is and it irrtates me when someone is like ill never be with the same gender then like the next day there like today i think ill be bi  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:36 pm

heyimnew

In SOME ways it might appear so. But I don't think it truly is.
I mean, it sure isn't for me.
I'm gay and I just....feel nothing for females. Sometimes they scare me.
And being a guy I understand them a lot less...
I can look at a girl and be like, oh she's so pretty. But ZERO sexual attraction.
andsometimestheycreepmeout.
MEN on the other hand. A lot of attraction. But then I also have my "type".
Just like straight people would. Or how bi people have their type of person, but can go either way.
Sort of like how pansexuals just DON'T CARE.

I don't really think sexuality is a choice at all. Who you date is, and maybe your "type". But not what you find attractive.
Just how I like cats more then dogs. owo
Or how my mother loves brussels sprouts but I was born to hate them. D:

User Image

Denny the Dinosaur

Baby

22,515 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Alchemy Level 7 100

Denny the Dinosaur

Baby

22,515 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:04 pm
jankh27
misslydia1020
no problem. and here's what the bible says about homosexuality:
Quote:
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22).

Quote:
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13).

and here is the only bible verse I could find that speaks out about transpeople, and even so its not really very clear on that for sure

Quote:
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

there's a reason that I do not follow christianity. I cannot follow a religion where a supposedly loving god creates a being (me) purely for them to be put to death. Where's the love in that?

thank and the reason i dont is cuz i dont feel that the church is willing to will u know like gays and all that

Also I'd like to just point out that the bible says many other things...

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)
If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

According to the bible a damn lot of us need to be shot. But really?
Homosexuality isn't the only thing the bible covers that is wrong. And not only that, but a lot of people fail to realize that those sections of the bible were not only written by MAN,
[No God actually came down and took his holy pen to paper], and not only written ages and ages ago, but it was also written for a select group of people.
That is the major thing Christians against homosexuality love to leave out.
This book was directed towards the Levites. PREISTS.
It was basically a list of instructions for PREISTS. AGE OLD PREISTS. Holy men.
Just as Nuns practice chastity. They don't sleep with ANYONE. That goes against their religious practice.

Not only that, but these verses and others are not speaking about homosexuality itself, but the act of lust within it. Lust is the sin. So it's basically speaking out against prostitutes and people fallen to lust.
I'm gay and even some gay men and women disgust me with how they speak sometimes... they're the ones who should have to answer to their sins... not someone in a committed and loving relationship.

So yeah, as much as I believe in God. I don't believe EVERYTHING written in that old book applies to life now.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 pm
For me it's a choice. I can go back and see the moments where I was like "yeah both men and women are hot and I'm good with being with either one." But I can't speak for everyone.  

DayhawK68

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

The Original Harlow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 pm
To quote Lady Gaga "baby we were born this way!" heart xd

If it's not just experimenting or exploring, and it is the way you are. Than absolutely not a choice, definitely born wired that way.

Quick (but not short) summary of me. I knew early on that I was really a girl, first memory in fact at around 3 or 4. Tried to tell my mom twice at 5 and at 9. Around 11 I had my first crush on a guy. Puberty hit and I was like great I'm gay, all I knew is you didn't want to be "that" way. 15/16 tried to date girls, and actually had some really great girlfriends. Around 17 with my last girlfriend I didn't even attempt to try and kiss her, at this point I knew kissing was as far as it would go, because I didn't like girls "that way". At 17 came out as gay to family and friends, and I became okay with it and actually proud. Moved out at 19 to a gay friendly city, started doing drag, a year in I could tell I was different than the other queens. I came to terms that I was transgender, and looking back at my first memories and having the classic "Dear God, please make me a girl when I wake up amen" etc. etc. etc. Also even though I always knew I was attracted to men, the physical part between me and men was always awkward because just like with girls I wasn't interested in gay sex, just like i wasn't interested in straight sex with a woman. In other words I had the wrong body parts. I moved to LA for school, and shortly after started hormones. Was extremely happy, and felt whole finally, or at least getting there. Came out to mom, than thought of all the people to come out to and all of the things trans people have to have $$ for and what society thought. I'm the youngest of 5 and most of my siblings are 15+ years older than me. I came from a conservative family. So I decided it was all a horrible mistake, and a really embarrassing "phase" I went through. I stopped the hormones and slowly everything fell apart. I dropped out of school, I stopped answering my phone, i let go of all my friends, I stopped keeping in touch with family. And basically became a recluse. 3 years later I met the sweetest guy ever, I finally opened up emotionally, he never pressured me sexually, he was just very loving and caring. He could see how much pain I was in, and at this point in my life I completely buried the trans thing so deep in my psyche that never crossed my mind again. I did tell him about it, but it was kind of like just being completely truthful to just get passed it. We ended up moving in together after only a year, 17 hour drive all the way up to Portland OR. I was so in love, but I could never shake my anxiety and my just wanting to stay inside all the time and I still always liked being in the dark, living vicariously through the television. It took me 8 years living like this, and my boyfriends encouragement to seek help, that I decided to finally see a therapist. I saw her for ADHD which I have, and for anxiety. As I worked on my anxiety and mindfulness exercises, and started to slow my thoughts and live in the moment. I started to become happier and relaxed, not so tense all the time. I started to care about clothing again, as I hadn't bought anything in years. I felt like I was actually living, in my body again, not cloudy and distant. BAM! it came flooding back, I was transgender, I was born transgender and I had denied myself for years, and each year went by the more lost and lonely I felt. I was so nervous to tell my therapist, because she wasn't in the field of gender anything. Than to come out to my partner of 8+ years, and when he accepted me and told me he is okay with anything as long as I am happy, my heart flooded with joy. Than I came out to mom, again, and she was again so supportive. But then the big part coming out to the rest of the family. It all ended up amazing and they all love me, and they all know that God made me this way, that this is exactly who I'm supposed to be. Almost 2 years into my transition, and still with my partner we'll have been together for 11 years this August. I couldn't be happier.

Point of this is, you can deny it. But it will never go away, it is not a choice, it is who you are, and inevetibly it will come back to you. Question is do you want to look back and regret so much lost time?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19 pm
I like what I like. It is what it is. My favorite alcohol is whiskey and my favorite genitalia is a v****a. Why must we make everything so damn complicated?  

My-1nquisition

cajunantichrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:18 pm
From personal experience and from scientific study I lean more towards of it being innate. Like the twin study and the birth order study.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff