Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 28. ✿ - - - Video Games
Pokemon Gen VI: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm
Rubai Sora
User Image

All I have to say is this: there goes my money. While I don't like a lot of the new Pokemon they are coming out with, I like what they are doing in terms of the games. Gen V actually felt like an RPG more than the other ones.

Post style by PhallenPixie

User Image User Image

I dunno, I think Gen V's the best among the released generations yet. But yeah, it is nice to see how the basic plot of Pokemon can evolve.

User ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 am
Louisa Iris

User Image User Image

I dunno, I think Gen V's the best among the released generations yet. But yeah, it is nice to see how the basic plot of Pokemon can evolve.

User ImageUser Image

User Image

Two words: Garbage Pokemon. Yes, we had Grimmer, but seriously? A pokemon made out of garbage? Not to mention for the most part, it seems like the newer gens are just modifying past gens, Eevee evolution aside because those are awesome.

Then there is the fact that it seems like they're reusing character designs...... From other anime series. The worst offender is Volkner. First time my friend drew him (and she draws really good) all I could think of was Minato from Naruto. It's gotten to the point that I joke with her that if she drew Minato, it would come out looking like Volkner.

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am
Rubai Sora

User Image

Two words: Garbage Pokemon. Yes, we had Grimmer, but seriously? A pokemon made out of garbage? Not to mention for the most part, it seems like the newer gens are just modifying past gens, Eevee evolution aside because those are awesome.

Then there is the fact that it seems like they're reusing character designs...... From other anime series. The worst offender is Volkner. First time my friend drew him (and she draws really good) all I could think of was Minato from Naruto. It's gotten to the point that I joke with her that if she drew Minato, it would come out looking like Volkner.

User Image User Image

Well, it's kind of hard to keep on thinking about new Pokemon designs every single generation. I too have realized that some of the new ones were similar to the old ones (like Zubat and Woobat), but then, not all bats are the same. There are fruit bats and well, not fruit bats. Pokemon is a real world in the, well, Pokemon world, so I think it's acceptable that there are similar Pokemons. Plus, they're just trying to make the game as realistic as possible. I mean, if there's a Pokemon made out of poisonous liquid, why not have a Pokemon made out of garbage? Don't tell me there's no garbage in the Pokemon world...

As to the human characters... well, as long as those from Naruto aren't suing them for using copyrighted characters, who are we to complain? (can you tell that I'm more defensive when it comes to the Pokemon and not the humans? rofl )

User ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 am
Louisa Iris
User Image User Image

Well, it's kind of hard to keep on thinking about new Pokemon designs every single generation. I too have realized that some of the new ones were similar to the old ones (like Zubat and Woobat), but then, not all bats are the same. There are fruit bats and well, not fruit bats. Pokemon is a real world in the, well, Pokemon world, so I think it's acceptable that there are similar Pokemons. Plus, they're just trying to make the game as realistic as possible. I mean, if there's a Pokemon made out of poisonous liquid, why not have a Pokemon made out of garbage? Don't tell me there's no garbage in the Pokemon world...

As to the human characters... well, as long as those from Naruto aren't suing them for using copyrighted characters, who are we to complain? (can you tell that I'm more defensive when it comes to the Pokemon and not the humans? rofl )

User ImageUser Image

User Image

True, but it sometimes feels like they're running out of ideas. Heck, I think the Yu-Gi-Oh fans laughed when Gen V came out. I know I did, and it influenced which version I got.

Well, it's more for laughs. I'm just surprised that the Miku fans haven't bashed the female Ace Trainer. Seriously, if I get another Gen V game, I'm naming my character Miku.

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
  • Couple of Time 500
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 am
Louisa Iris

Of course. emotion_awesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm
Rubai Sora

I'm curious, what did the YuGiOh fans find so hilarious and influenced which version you got?
Please don't tell me it had anything to do with their eyes?

I honestly don't see much similarities between Miku and the female Ace Trainer. It's not like no one is allowed to have a blue-haired girl with pig-tails ever again just because Miku exists. Other than the fact that they're pig-tails and blue, I don't think they're alike whatsoever. o.0

--

With character/Pokemon design in general, I think somewhere down the line we're going to have similar people and Pokemon. Like Louisa said, the Pokemon world can have similar looking Pokemon as we have similar animals in the real world. I'm honestly not all that bothered by similar Pokemon (yeah, that includes Alomomola and Bouffalant). I mean if we want to get into similar looking people, I'm surprised people don't say anything about Volkner and Palmer looking quite alike and they're from the same game! I mean, I assume it's because Palmer is visibly much older and his hair isn't quite the same shape, but yeah. ._. I personally don't mind if we have similar looking characters from other anime/games. Sometimes creators do this on purpose just because they really like a character and want to pay homage to them. It's just probably more noticeable in Pokemon because it's a long running franchise and being around to see every incarnation of it, you start seeing similar ideas and designs. At least this is how I think about it. sweatdrop

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm
Yokies
Rubai Sora

I'm curious, what did the YuGiOh fans find so hilarious and influenced which version you got?
Please don't tell me it had anything to do with their eyes?

I honestly don't see much similarities between Miku and the female Ace Trainer. It's not like no one is allowed to have a blue-haired girl with pig-tails ever again just because Miku exists. Other than the fact that they're pig-tails and blue, I don't think they're alike whatsoever. o.0

--

With character/Pokemon design in general, I think somewhere down the line we're going to have similar people and Pokemon. Like Louisa said, the Pokemon world can have similar looking Pokemon as we have similar animals in the real world. I'm honestly not all that bothered by similar Pokemon (yeah, that includes Alomomola and Bouffalant). I mean if we want to get into similar looking people, I'm surprised people don't say anything about Volkner and Palmer looking quite alike and they're from the same game! I mean, I assume it's because Palmer is visibly much older and his hair isn't quite the same shape, but yeah. ._. I personally don't mind if we have similar looking characters from other anime/games. Sometimes creators do this on purpose just because they really like a character and want to pay homage to them. It's just probably more noticeable in Pokemon because it's a long running franchise and being around to see every incarnation of it, you start seeing similar ideas and designs. At least this is how I think about it. sweatdrop

User Image

There is a white dragon with blue eyes and a black dragon with red eyes. I actually zoomed into their eyes and those were the colors. Not only that, Reshiram has fire attacks while Zekrom has electric. Kaiba calls Blue Eyes White Dragon attack "white lightning" while the Red Eyes Black Dragon attack looks like a fire ball. How it influenced me was that I'm a huge Kaiba fangirl, so I always went for the version with Reshiram.

*scratches head* From what I've read, some Miku fans are crazy. *shrugs* I could be wrong on that part.

I don't mind recycling characters within a series. Thanks to recycling character designs, I can claim my OTP for ygo is canon easily with GX. But when we go into other series, that's kinda stretching it. And I'm not the only one who noticed the whole Volkner/Minato thing since it's kinda a joke with people I've talk to. Let's face it, when a character in Pokemon that uses electric type Pokemon looks like the long lost twin of a character who's nickname is "The Yellow Flash", you are going to make jokes. As for the Pokemon, it's more for memory sake. I used to be able to tell you what type a Pokemon was if you told me the name. Now that there are so many, I can't keep track of them all. Half the time, I actually have to have some kind of guide up just to double check the type of the opposing Pokemon. It's not my age since I can still do type advantage/disadvantage with easy, it's just that there are so many and without seeing the Pokemon, it's hard to tell. Even after I see them, I still can get tripped up because the second type is something that isn't obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm
Rubai Sora

Well, if you want to get technical with it Zekrom's actual iris isn't really red, it's the sclera that is red, but I guess that's a little too technical for some people. In the case of their attacks, it's reversed then, huh? I suppose if you see similarities between the two, it would make the choice obvious with your favorite character.

I have no doubt there are some crazy ones, there are crazy people in all fandoms.
I just think they're reaching is all. They're not the same at all other than hair color and somewhat the style.
Ace Trainer's pig-tails are still pretty different, they're rounded and not straight down. xD

I'm just saying just because they look alike doesn't mean they copied or recycled his design. They just look alike as far as we know. If someone came forward and said Minato inspired Volkner's character/design, then that's a whole different thing. Inspiration doesn't really make him a recycled character either though. I don't think at all it's wrong or bad to make jokes about it, anybody can see they look just alike, I just hate when people doubt the creativity of others just because they dished out a similar character to another series. sweatdrop

I see. Well for memory sake, in that sense it's not really fair to think negatively of the designs either, or to think they're copies/far too similar/modifications. I mean you're not at all required to like all of the Pokemon by any means, I'm not trying to say that at all! sweatdrop I definitely don't like the way all Pokemon look either, but I don't think their idea fountain has run dry because of it. I just personally do not like some of them. Though since I don't really have an issue remembering any of the Pokemon or their types, I suppose I can't see this part of the problem and can't really relate. I don't see an issue in any of them other than where my personal taste comes into play lol.

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

jordan_0011

Greedy Fatcat

9,950 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm
For me, It's actually given me a reason to get the 3DS. I mean so many pokemon games are out for it now.

So this year, that'll be my goal, getting a 3DS (It's about time too, I've been waiting for them to stop upgrading the thing, so I could buy it.)

But yeah other then that, I'm super excited for this game! biggrin

PLUS! If I get the 3DS, I can finally switch my pokemon to my other games lol, so yeah.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 pm
Yokies
Rubai Sora

Well, if you want to get technical with it Zekrom's actual iris isn't really red, it's the sclera that is red, but I guess that's a little too technical for some people. In the case of their attacks, it's reversed then, huh? I suppose if you see similarities between the two, it would make the choice obvious with your favorite character.

I have no doubt there are some crazy ones, there are crazy people in all fandoms.
I just think they're reaching is all. They're not the same at all other than hair color and somewhat the style.
Ace Trainer's pig-tails are still pretty different, they're rounded and not straight down. xD

I'm just saying just because they look alike doesn't mean they copied or recycled his design. They just look alike as far as we know. If someone came forward and said Minato inspired Volkner's character/design, then that's a whole different thing. Inspiration doesn't really make him a recycled character either though. I don't think at all it's wrong or bad to make jokes about it, anybody can see they look just alike, I just hate when people doubt the creativity of others just because they dished out a similar character to another series. sweatdrop

I see. Well for memory sake, in that sense it's not really fair to think negatively of the designs either, or to think they're copies/far too similar/modifications. I mean you're not at all required to like all of the Pokemon by any means, I'm not trying to say that at all! sweatdrop I definitely don't like the way all Pokemon look either, but I don't think their idea fountain has run dry because of it. I just personally do not like some of them. Though since I don't really have an issue remembering any of the Pokemon or their types, I suppose I can't see this part of the problem and can't really relate. I don't see an issue in any of them other than where my personal taste comes into play lol.

User Image

That's even worse. I've got a poster that has a Red Eyes on it and I can't find any iris. (Don't ask how it sees, it's a creature from another universe thing.)

The thing is, no one has come out as far as I know saying what the inspiration for character designs. If they did, I would be cool with it. But no one has, so it kinda irritates me.

True..... It's just another reason why I say enough is enough. I will admit it is weird seeing more Pokemon looking like items then actual animals (candle, ice cream, garbage, a snowflake....) in Gen V. Yeah they have done it in the past (magnets, flowers, pinecone, an Easter Island head, a teru teru bozu, bells....), but it seems like Gen V has a lot more. It's like "what item can we turn into a creature" now then creatures that could actually exist.

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm
Rubai Sora

Really? That's odd. It's iris is kind of a... hm. Yellow-green? I mean in some it actually looks kind of white, and in the sprite it looks yellow, so I would say it's just a faded out yellow or something. Is it an official poster? O.o

I suppose I can see why you'd find it irritating, but like I said, even if they weren't inspired, you can't really copyright a character's basic design. No matter how similar they are, they aren't the same, so in a legal sense there really isn't anything wrong with it, but I understand on a personal level it's just odd seeing how similar they are and thinking they just copied him.

I think that right there is the reason why I just can't see it haha. I honestly can't get enough of Pokemon. I don't want it to be "enough" lol. I want them to keep coming until it just isn't making money anymore. xD I also don't mind the Pokemon that are inspired by objects. We've had "object/non-animal" Pokemon since the beginning, so I never saw a problem in them adding more. Since we had them in the beginning I was never one to think the majority of them had to be animals or based on something that was at least alive, or they couldn't add more non-animals. I just thought it was a normal thing to do, I really had no idea it bothered so many people until Gen V came out. Honestly, many of the Pokemon who aren't based on animals are some of my favorites! XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm
jordan_0011

It's awesome that you're getting a 3DS for it! c:
My boyfriend and I luckily already had our 3DS's so we're prepared! B3

Do you know which starter you want to pick yet? XD

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm
Yokies
Rubai Sora

Really? That's odd. It's iris is kind of a... hm. Yellow-green? I mean in some it actually looks kind of white, and in the sprite it looks yellow, so I would say it's just a faded out yellow or something. Is it an official poster? O.o

I suppose I can see why you'd find it irritating, but like I said, even if they weren't inspired, you can't really copyright a character's basic design. No matter how similar they are, they aren't the same, so in a legal sense there really isn't anything wrong with it, but I understand on a personal level it's just odd seeing how similar they are and thinking they just copied him.

I think that right there is the reason why I just can't see it haha. I honestly can't get enough of Pokemon. I don't want it to be "enough" lol. I want them to keep coming until it just isn't making money anymore. xD I also don't mind the Pokemon that are inspired by objects. We've had "object/non-animal" Pokemon since the beginning, so I never saw a problem in them adding more. Since we had them in the beginning I was never one to think the majority of them had to be animals or based on something that was at least alive, or they couldn't add more non-animals. I just thought it was a normal thing to do, I really had no idea it bothered so many people until Gen V came out. Honestly, many of the Pokemon who aren't based on animals are some of my favorites! XD

User Image

I'm talking about Red Eyes Black Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh. Too lazy to spell out the full name, but not lazy enough to use the abbreviations.

Legally, it's all good. But it leaves a sour taste in my mouth since I take time to design my character. If it was inspired by another character, I would say so. A few times a character looks like another character, and I didn't realize it until I got used to that character design. At that point, I will admit that the character might have influenced my character. Yet I haven't heard anything.

It's a poor ploy to get new viewers in my opinion to keep making new ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 pm
Rubai Sora

Oh, well shoot I read that all wrong lol. Sorry.

I understand that, but we really don't know whether Minato influenced his design or not. Like I said, just because they look alike doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure not every silver haired, doggy-eared demon was influenced by InuYasha either lol. I don't really get what you mean a poor ploy to get viewers either. Pokemon isn't doing bad at all in that department, I highly doubt they really need ploys to keep raking in viewers. o.o;

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:59 pm
Yokies
Rubai Sora

Oh, well shoot I read that all wrong lol. Sorry.

I understand that, but we really don't know whether Minato influenced his design or not. Like I said, just because they look alike doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure not every silver haired, doggy-eared demon was influenced by InuYasha either lol. I don't really get what you mean a poor ploy to get viewers either. Pokemon isn't doing bad at all in that department, I highly doubt they really need ploys to keep raking in viewers. o.o;

User Image

Well, until they come out explaining Volkner, I'm not going to be happy. I really have to find a drawing my friend did of Volkner. She didn't know what Minato looked like until I told her that she drew Volkner like Minato. There are enough differences with other characters in other series that I could care less. Volkner and Minato could be identical twins, that is saying something.

While they are getting new followers, they are alienating the older ones. I have lost track how many times I had to defend Black and White just because people don't like the Gen V Pokemon. I even have to defend the Pokemon I like from Gen V! Mostly because I can nickname a few after anime characters. Others because they are just that awesome.

28. ✿ - - - Video Games

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces