Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Changes to Canadian Blood Services ban on gay male donors Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:55 pm
Why even bother lifting the ban if it isn't done away with altogether?

So annoying.

I'm a three-time blood donor here in the U.S.

I was able to donate up until my senior year of high school and since then am permanently banned for life.

The U.S. policy, from my understanding, is that if any man has sexual relations with another man, protected or otherwise and regardless of the time frame, they are banned for life.

It's kind of aggravating actually.

There was a sense of satisfaction I got from donating blood. I was helping someone, giving them a bit of myself so they might live a moment, an hour, day/week/month/year longer.

The fact that having sex with another man has banned me from donating is rather idiotic.

I understand their fears and reason for doing so but I don't see how the facts add up.

All in all the whole ban more or less perpetuates ignorant stereotypes and stigmas and the "science" and "research" used to back their policies is rather faulty.

The laws over donating blood, while meant to protect patients, is just all in all flawed beyond belief.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 am
Alien dude2
Purple Robot King
Alien dude2
Purple Robot King
I know plenty of gay men in the US who just lie about their orientation and donate anyway. The blood still gets tested, so they figure it's the best way to go.

I may actually do that if I ever get into a relationship with another guy and it gets intimate. I highly doubt that it a person who's straight receives blood from a gay man that he'd become gay or burst into flames.

(..I just thought of that happening, it was funny as hell. Not the bursting into flames option, the one where the person instantly turns gay xd )

Hehe. Maybe we can spread like zombies! razz

That would also be awesome

It really would be. And it would make finding boyfriends a lot easier.  

Purple Robot Queen

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:30 am
I tried donating blood last year, but they couldn't find a vein or some bullshit like that so they didn't end up getting a full pint. confused
Anyway, yeah, that policy is stupid. If the US has a policy anything like that I was not aware of it. Also, I don't understand how this policy could even be remotely effective.You could just tell them you're a virgin, and what proof that they have that you're not lying? There is no quality that will help you differentiate a virgin homosexual male from a sexually active one. Unless they have a sex tape that proves otherwise or what have you...  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff