Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
That's so...gay? A blog for my English class Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

quaIia

Lonely Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 am
I like it ^_^
However, I'm one of those people that says that. Habit I guess. I'm gay, and it doesn't offend me. I don't think it should offend other people, either. Words change meaning and that's what happened here I think. It adapted a new meaning.  
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 pm
It doesn't offend me, either, but I still make a point not to say it. Personally, I think it sounds juvenile and, well, ignorant, and that isn't the kind of impression I want to leave with others. Like using the r-word, it's a habit worth breaking.
Besides, we don't get to tell others what they should or shouldn't find offensive.

I think we're all well aware that the meaning of the word has changed over time (s o a p n u t has already elaborated on this beautifully earlier in the thread), but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea to continue to associate the word "gay" with "bad". smile  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm
s o a p n u t 's analysis is spot on. As a linguistics minor and member of the LGBTQAA+ and disabilities communities, I was annoyed that the general argument definitely was based on linguistic prescriptivism and was ableist. However, I am definitely relieved that it was supposed to have fallacies and wasn't serious. I am not offended by someone who is gay, etc. using "that's so gay" because it becomes an in-joke but I still don't like someone outside of the queer community using it because it still rests on the idea that being gay is stupid, which is prejudiced and annoying.  
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:59 pm
Eleiza0250
s o a p n u t 's analysis is spot on. As a linguistics minor and member of the LGBTQAA+ and disabilities communities, I was annoyed that the general argument definitely was based on linguistic prescriptivism and was ableist. However, I am definitely relieved that it was supposed to have fallacies and wasn't serious. I am not offended by someone who is gay, etc. using "that's so gay" because it becomes an in-joke but I still don't like someone outside of the queer community using it because it still rests on the idea that being gay is stupid, which is prejudiced and annoying.

Yeah it annoys me too but as I've said this is never the way I would address it for real owo, sorry again I should have clarified the fallacies thing ><" Sorry  

Demon Wolf Kyra

Dangerous Shapeshifter

13,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 am
we all understand now lol  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 am
Taeryyn
Brieyxo123
theres some i cant deal with that is one of them ... i also cant deal with thats retarted like seriously people people cant help who they are they were born that way and you cant do anything to change that but you can help them

You know, using the word "retarded" like that isn't any better than calling things "gay". I know that a lot of people use it habitually, without really thinking about it, but it's definitely a habit worth breaking. 3nodding

Not everyone uses retarded habitually, and some of us are perfectly aware of the meaning and choose to imply it has a different one because we have people who actually ARE retarded in our lives. Yes sometimes people use the term gay with a negative connotation as well as incorrectly, but that isn't always the case.It's the same thing with the word retarded  

LolaCarstairs

Demon Wolf Kyra

Dangerous Shapeshifter

13,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm
LolaCarstairs
Taeryyn
Brieyxo123
theres some i cant deal with that is one of them ... i also cant deal with thats retarted like seriously people people cant help who they are they were born that way and you cant do anything to change that but you can help them

You know, using the word "retarded" like that isn't any better than calling things "gay". I know that a lot of people use it habitually, without really thinking about it, but it's definitely a habit worth breaking. 3nodding

Not everyone uses retarded habitually, and some of us are perfectly aware of the meaning and choose to imply it has a different one because we have people who actually ARE retarded in our lives. Yes sometimes people use the term gay with a negative connotation as well as incorrectly, but that isn't always the case.It's the same thing with the word retarded

Adam Lambert <3
sorry just had to xD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:36 pm
Sometimes I like to say "That's so straight" sweatdrop  

[Seraphic_Radiance]

Newbie Vet

7,700 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 am
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing

We should make it a thing. ^^  

[Seraphic_Radiance]

Newbie Vet

7,700 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 am
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing

yes!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 am
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing

yes!

"That's so straight" should mean judgmental and closed minded. lol  

[Seraphic_Radiance]

Newbie Vet

7,700 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 pm
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing

yes!

I just use it to describe anything that I don't like. im sure it would drive my husband insane if I used it around him though lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 pm
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

I do the same thing

yes!

I just use it to describe anything that I don't like. im sure it would drive my husband insane if I used it around him though lol

Maybe it'll make people realize how stupid "that's so gay" sounds.  

[Seraphic_Radiance]

Newbie Vet

7,700 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]
Shanna66
[Seraphic_Radiance]

yes!

Maybe it'll make people realize how stupid "that's so gay" sounds.

hopefully  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces