Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ✩ MANGA
Least favorite genre? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 pm
Valtiel the Watcher
Zero the Crimson
Valtiel the Watcher
You.... Don't understand why someone who Is a straight male may not be into yaoi? A genre that doesn't target them at all? I mean if you don't understand the concept of demographics then sure, but if you're not the target audience then obviously the comic isn't creating something that appeals to your interest or makes any effort to relate to you. It would be like asking why a vegan may not like Anthony Bourdain or why a liberal may not enjoy Bill O'Riley.

Well, when you put it that way it makes sense, but at the same time. That's the target audience they believe it to target saying "this will be emotional and have little action, girls will love it" doesn't necessarily be the case.
Well there are exceptions to the rule as far as individuals are concerned, and there are programs that do seem to break the concept of target demographics into dust but a majority of anime I have seen generally targets a specific group of people. something like that host club thing isn't going to hold my attention like say.. mu shi shi is going to, and most likely the opposite is true too.

True.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:50 pm
I have to say I have never liked sports manga or anime. Maybe, as Zero the Crimson and Valtiel the Watcher said, I don't fit into the demographic (as I'm both a girl and with a sworn vengeance on sports).
I have too a problem with predictable manga. I used to be into the romance genre al lot, but I realised there are just a handful of tropes changing their order (that or they got all weird, Tokyo Crazy Paradise style and I really felt compelled to quit). Also, there's one thing I've felt annoyed with: love triangles. I feel they add forced confusion in the hearts of the protagonists.
As someone who's currently focusing into the shounen genre (because I like blood and awesome speeches), I have to say I try to avoid manga where the main character overpowers since in the long term it really harms the realism and the very plot of the story (I can't buy into the drama of a world of ninjas if they battle with huge beasts, Pokemon-style). So as soon as this happens, I'll quit the manga no matter how much I happen to like it.
I must say, I haven't really read much yaoi or yuri, but I can't say I hate them. It's just that I can't feel anything for the characters. And, yes. Yes, I've read some very horrid yaoi and yuri.
As for hentai, I haven't ventured as much into this field as I have with ecchi but I can say that so far I haven't really thought much of it. It might even be that I fail to understand where the ecchi ends and the hentai begins. Still, if the plot's good, I'd read anything.
Harems. Oh, I really try to avoid harems, be them centred around a guy or a girl. It's not that I'm jealous, it's just that I rarely understand why are the characters so drawn to the protagonist. They usually lack the... how can I say it.. the sexiness necessary for the role (They're no Katsuragi Keima!).
I try to steer as far away as possible from tragedies. As someone who empathises with the atmosphere from a story, I can't stand them. If something has a sad ending or is sad in general, I wouldn't stand to read it (I've read a third of Glass Mask and spent 2 months in a deep, dark depression).  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 am
Shadow of the Luna

As for hentai, I haven't ventured as much into this field as I have with ecchi but I can say that so far I haven't really thought much of it. It might even be that I fail to understand where the ecchi ends and the hentai begins. Still, if the plot's good, I'd read anything.
Harems. Oh, I really try to avoid harems, be them centred around a guy or a girl. It's not that I'm jealous, it's just that I rarely understand why are the characters so drawn to the protagonist. They usually lack the... how can I say it.. the sexiness necessary for the role (They're no Katsuragi Keima!).
I try to steer as far away as possible from tragedies. As someone who empathises with the atmosphere from a story, I can't stand them. If something has a sad ending or is sad in general, I wouldn't stand to read it (I've read a third of Glass Mask and spent 2 months in a deep, dark depression).

Trust me on this one, it's very easy to tell the difference between ecchi and hentai. Ecchi has limits and various forms of censorship and covert innuendos, where as hentai...not so much. Also on case of the story, ecchi has a story, but normally drowns out the focus of the story, with it's moments...hentai might let you think there will be a story..then kills it instantly with adult rated moments.

I think that's one of the reasons I like harem titles. The character never quite fits the bill to attract the masses of the opposite (and even the same) gender, but one thing or another about them manages to make people fall for them.
But I do agree, there is only one God of Conquest.

Yikes! Yeah, that definitely sounds like a good idea to avoid them, in that case.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:53 pm
Zero the Crimson

Trust me on this one, it's very easy to tell the difference between ecchi and hentai. Ecchi has limits and various forms of censorship and covert innuendos, where as hentai...not so much. Also on case of the story, ecchi has a story, but normally drowns out the focus of the story, with it's moments...hentai might let you think there will be a story..then kills it instantly with adult rated moments.

I think that's one of the reasons I like harem titles. The character never quite fits the bill to attract the masses of the opposite (and even the same) gender, but one thing or another about them manages to make people fall for them.
But I do agree, there is only one God of Conquest.

Yikes! Yeah, that definitely sounds like a good idea to avoid them, in that case.

There are ecchis with little to no plot (I'm thinking Rosario + Vampire Capu Chuu the anime here - as I heard, the manga had some story to it) but I can see what you mean. Then I've only seen one hentai, and it was boring. Thanks for explaining, I guess I'll stick to panty shots then mrgreen .

I can see your point. Still, as a girl, I haven't seen a reason to go all "Kyaa!~ heart " myself at a harem character of the opposite gender, that's why they don't attract me. That and the fact that I haven't found one with a proper plot.  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am
Shadow of the Luna

There are ecchis with little to no plot (I'm thinking Rosario + Vampire Capu Chuu the anime here - as I heard, the manga had some story to it) but I can see what you mean. Then I've only seen one hentai, and it was boring. Thanks for explaining, I guess I'll stick to panty shots then mrgreen .

I can see your point. Still, as a girl, I haven't seen a reason to go all "Kyaa!~ heart " myself at a harem character of the opposite gender, that's why they don't attract me. That and the fact that I haven't found one with a proper plot.

Well, Rosario + Vampire does have a plot, but they throw so much fanservice into that it's hard to see....so it's a prime example of ecchi at its..most noticeable..

Fair enough. Though there are some pretty fascinating/entertaining harem titles out there. The World God Only Knows, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san, Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara, A Certain Magical Index, Is This A Zombie, etc... But a lot of them are that way because harem isn't quite their main genre.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:19 pm
Zero the Crimson

Well, Rosario + Vampire does have a plot, but they throw so much fanservice into that it's hard to see....so it's a prime example of ecchi at its..most noticeable..

Fair enough. Though there are some pretty fascinating/entertaining harem titles out there. The World God Only Knows, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san, Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara, A Certain Magical Index, Is This A Zombie, etc... But a lot of them are that way because harem isn't quite their main genre.

I guess it does, but it mostly shows up in the last episodes and even then it's laughable or plain weird (I laughed my heart out at the whole "The sky is falling because plot demands it to"). Still, there might have been a lot more plot that I missed while looking at panty shots.

*Slaps her forehead* I've completely forgotten about Is This A Zombie, even though I found it really funny and a very pleasant read/watch. As for the rest of them, I've put them on my list of manga I'll read as soon as I can. Thanks for that!  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 pm
Shadow of the Luna
Zero the Crimson

I guess it does, but it mostly shows up in the last episodes and even then it's laughable or plain weird (I laughed my heart out at the whole "The sky is falling because plot demands it to"). Still, there might have been a lot more plot that I missed while looking at panty shots.

*Slaps her forehead* I've completely forgotten about Is This A Zombie, even though I found it really funny and a very pleasant read/watch. As for the rest of them, I've put them on my list of manga I'll read as soon as I can. Thanks for that!

That's true.
And thus we see the magic called fanservice. You have been serviced so much that you completely didn't notice the actual story and now have to try again....or at least...that's the initial idea of it....well either that or you enjoyed looking so much you'll want to look more.
Those series are always double edged swords, depending on your environment, though.

No problem. Kinda strange that you'd forget that one though, I mean a guy zombie dressed in "magical girl" clothes fighting with a chainsaw..kinda hard to forget...no matter how much you wash your brain.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am
Zero the Crimson
Shadow of the Luna
Zero the Crimson

That's true.
And thus we see the magic called fanservice. You have been serviced so much that you completely didn't notice the actual story and now have to try again....or at least...that's the initial idea of it....well either that or you enjoyed looking so much you'll want to look more.
Those series are always double edged swords, depending on your environment, though.

No problem. Kinda strange that you'd forget that one though, I mean a guy zombie dressed in "magical girl" clothes fighting with a chainsaw..kinda hard to forget...no matter how much you wash your brain.

The fanservice really drowned the story for me. I guess I'll just read the manga to understand what was supposed to have happened in the anime.

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot it either. Still, lately I ended up reading such strange things it's no wonder I forgot about the zombie in a dress.  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:55 pm
Shadow of the Luna

The fanservice really drowned the story for me. I guess I'll just read the manga to understand what was supposed to have happened in the anime.

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot it either. Still, lately I ended up reading such strange things it's no wonder I forgot about the zombie in a dress.

It's all a matter of tuning it out. Not an easy feat with some series, but a handy skill to possess. Yeah, that manga does give the story with less services and is farther along too.

Just what have you been reading? I mean, I read/watch tons of different titles and I've yet to find something quite that overpowering.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm
Zero the Crimson
Shadow of the Luna

It's all a matter of tuning it out. Not an easy feat with some series, but a handy skill to possess. Yeah, that manga does give the story with less services and is farther along too.

Just what have you been reading? I mean, I read/watch tons of different titles and I've yet to find something quite that overpowering.

Well, the first weird thing I can think of is Gintama, then the second is One Piece (yes, I'm more phased at haemorrhoid jokes and transgendered pirates than at a zombie in a pink dress who has a harem). Also, there's Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo. That was so weird I still can't describe it. There's also Shunshoku Kiss and Franken Fran. I loved them both, but kisses that copy peoples' characters and surgeries that surpass the laws of physics and biology made by a zombie/undead/it's never explained are really weird. I've also read a manga something like suicide island or suicide group, I really can't remember, about a bunch of people that decide to kill themselves together and when their suicide fails, they begin experiencing strange tumors one by one that are somehow portals to another dimension.  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm
Shadow of the Luna
Zero the Crimson
Shadow of the Luna

Well, the first weird thing I can think of is Gintama, then the second is One Piece (yes, I'm more phased at haemorrhoid jokes and transgendered pirates than at a zombie in a pink dress who has a harem). Also, there's Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo. That was so weird I still can't describe it. There's also Shunshoku Kiss and Franken Fran. I loved them both, but kisses that copy peoples' characters and surgeries that surpass the laws of physics and biology made by a zombie/undead/it's never explained are really weird. I've also read a manga something like suicide island or suicide group, I really can't remember, about a bunch of people that decide to kill themselves together and when their suicide fails, they begin experiencing strange tumors one by one that are somehow portals to another dimension.

Well Gintama, Bobobo, and One Piece seem rather tame to me, but those other ones yeah they sound messed up. Although one of them kinda makes me think of Yamada and the Seven Witches.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm
Zero the Crimson
Shadow of the Luna
Zero the Crimson
Shadow of the Luna

Well Gintama, Bobobo, and One Piece seem rather tame to me, but those other ones yeah they sound messed up. Although one of them kinda makes me think of Yamada and the Seven Witches.

Yeah, some of them are really messed up. Enjoyable, but seriously messed up. The title of that one sounds interesting.  

Shadow of the Luna

Friendly Scrooge

10,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Zero the Crimson

Vermillion Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm
Shadow of the Luna

Yeah, some of them are really messed up. Enjoyable, but seriously messed up. The title of that one sounds interesting.

It got a live action series not too long ago. (Which was rather disappointing, since the characters don't quite match up and I'd have preferred an anime)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 am
Zero the Crimson

2. Yaoi. Again, they lack story. With Yuri, you can find some relatively cute and interesting stories and build up, with Yaoi (at least with what I've read) it just seems to come across as awkward.

For an example of a good yaoi/s-ai read 1999 shanghai. "like romeo and juliet with gay Chinese gangsters"

for an example of an extraordinarily poor yaoi, see venus kiss. Srsly. If you want to save yourself the pain just read the little thing I wrote on it's the mf forum about it.
That's not me being hyperbolic, that's literally what happens. same goes for what I said about the sequel.  

AnorhiDemarche

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200

AnorhiDemarche

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 am
As for what I dislike, I'm kinda on a "read everything ever" kick, but I've noticed that no matter what, any yaoi or shoujo many will have "this is so great, they are so such. I love this series. 5 star 5 star" It can be the most horrible piece of bull out there with no redeeming features, and people will rate it highly. Literally every one I've read so far has that problem.

It's not really a problem I have with the genre, the genre's fine enough. but it's the fanbase I have problems with and that kinda leeks over and I start to dread when I see a shoujo/yaoi come up on the big list of things to read

Luckily, I do find a few gems.

Oh, and if anyone's sick of the typical shoujo female lead try this
The brother of the naruto dude (also a shonen manga artist) doing a shoujo manga, basically making fun of the genre without going over the top sort of.  
✩ MANGA

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff