Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre
Disney and Dreamworks Cosplayers! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 pm
I'm planning Snow White cosplay hopefully for this summer, but with a twist. I'm doing a mix of the classical Snow White combined with a knight. The idea was based on Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm trying to do a more feminist take on Snow White. If this goes well and I get the inspiration, I may try the same on other Disney princesses. Right now, I'm struggling to find some snow-white makeup to cover my face and some of my arms as I have Asian coloring. Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:31 am
Prays For Sanity
I'm planning Snow White cosplay hopefully for this summer, but with a twist. I'm doing a mix of the classical Snow White combined with a knight. The idea was based on Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm trying to do a more feminist take on Snow White. If this goes well and I get the inspiration, I may try the same on other Disney princesses. Right now, I'm struggling to find some snow-white makeup to cover my face and some of my arms as I have Asian coloring. Any suggestions?

Hello!
Resident Make up artist here!

A few questions first;
by Snow-white make up are you referring to make up to pale yourself out?
If this is what you are trying to do it might be a bit easier if i knew the exact coloration of your skin. every skin tone is different and different techniques work for different people, as well as products.

on a personal opinion, i wouldn't change your skin tone for a cosplay, some of the best and beautiful snow whites i have seen have use their natural skin tones and just enhanced it. However that is only my personal opinion, if you are still wanting to pale your skin out i am more than happy to help you find the right products  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity

Hello!

A few questions first;
If this is what you are trying to do it might be a bit easier if i knew the exact coloration of your skin. every skin tone is different and different techniques work for different people, as well as products.

on a personal opinion, i wouldn't change your skin tone for a cosplay, some of the best and beautiful snow whites i have seen have use their natural skin tones and just enhanced it. However that is only my personal opinion, if you are still wanting to pale your skin out i am more than happy to help you find the right products

Yes, I am looking for makeup or body paint to pale myself out as you put it. I have the typical Pakistani coloring. I am looking for hopefully something a bit long lasting that doesn't smear/smudge as it is meant for a 5 day convention this summer.
Normally, I wouldn't change my skin tone for a cosplay unless it was something like Avatar with their blue skin, but Snow White is known for her 'skin as white as snow' and also I am doing a twist on her classical costume, so I need to keep a few characteristics of hers to be recognizable. I'm planning to have her 'rose red lips,' curly black hair' and hopefully her snow skin.
Thank you for your help.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:05 pm
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity

Hello!

A few questions first;

Yes, I am looking for makeup or body paint to pale myself out as you put it. I have the typical Pakistani coloring. I am looking for hopefully something a bit long lasting that doesn't smear/smudge as it is meant for a 5 day convention this summer.
Normally, I wouldn't change my skin tone for a cosplay unless it was something like Avatar with their blue skin, but Snow White is known for her 'skin as white as snow' and also I am doing a twist on her classical costume, so I need to keep a few characteristics of hers to be recognizable. I'm planning to have her 'rose red lips,' curly black hair' and hopefully her snow skin.
Thank you for your help.

unfortunately there really is nothing that is smear or smudge proof, you can only prolong the smearing and smudging by sealing the paint with a silicon seal, and will have to reapply through out the day, especially if you are being brushed up against at the con when in passing.

I'm going to assume that you are looking for something on the cheaper side of the spectrum as well.

For something a bit cheaper, I'd suggest a character paint in white, and diluting it out with primer, so that it becomes a bit translucent, then mixing it with a light colored foundation. this will take time to find the mixture that you like as well, so do a few test runs.

you will need to do some concealer on the skin under the make up. i personally use the Hard Candy CC cream in ultra light. it helps even out skin tone with out doing multiple steps and has sunscreen in the formula. how ever this item is a bit on the pricy side around $6 a tube, however it will last you a while.

To help make the skin look paler with out actually going completely white, use a very pigmented black eyeliner, along with darkening your eyebrows with the eyeliner. for eyeliner i would suggest kleancolor as the brand does cheap make up, their eyeliners are about a dollar each, and are very pigmented.

eyeshadow to help keep the illusion up, i would suggest picking shades, that are about a shade or two darker than the skin tone you are using, if you want to go for a natural eye.

you will have to reapply the make up everyday though, it's not good for your skin to leave it on the entire five days.  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 am
smithers456
Rogue-dono
I currently have a Battle Elsa that I adore and I'm going to be working on Periwinkle at some point. smile I want to do Belle, but I bought fabrics for Cinderella instead. lol

Being a big Disney character fan I have taken a lot of Disney character cosplay photos over the years. During this past year I have taken photos of Anna and Elsa cosplayers and many others. Tinkerbell and Micky Mouse are my favorite characters and I Love all of the Disney Fairy's. I can't wait to see how Periwinkle turned out. Last month I took a photo of a beautiful Belle cosplayer wearing a full ball gown and carrying a candle from the series. Please post photos of all of these cosplay outfits when you get a chance.

It must always be so amazing to see all the varieties of cosplays of the same characters!! smile The difference in design and the way the costumes are made even though it produces the same character is just so cool. smile I may have some of them floating around here somewhere, but Im scared to post too much. XD I dont want to spam the guild. lol  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:09 am
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity

Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

Depending on what you use, you can actually try using wax as a base. Not only will this help to prevent smudges, it also helps guard against sweat and runny makeup. I use wax as a base for my full-body makeup anymore as it gives a long lasting effect and minimizes smudging and smearing. I used it on my dragonborn and it was still summer. We had our shoot outside and the makeup held up super well. I used a white kabuki makeup base mixed with color pigments to get the darker shade. Then I just used regular eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner for shading and contouring just as I would on my normal skin.

If you are just looking for long-lasting, you can certainly take tips from other posters in response to you and you can also try the wax base if you are going to go with liquid or paint-like makeup. You can also try lighter foundations and powders (you can find white powder especially for theater) to help lighten your skintone in a more "natural" look kind of way.

User Image  

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

unfortunately there really is nothing that is smear or smudge proof, you can only prolong the smearing and smudging by sealing the paint with a silicon seal, and will have to reapply through out the day, especially if you are being brushed up against at the con when in passing.

I'm going to assume that you are looking for something on the cheaper side of the spectrum as well.

For something a bit cheaper, I'd suggest a character paint in white, and diluting it out with primer, so that it becomes a bit translucent, then mixing it with a light colored foundation. this will take time to find the mixture that you like as well, so do a few test runs.

you will need to do some concealer on the skin under the make up. i personally use the Hard Candy CC cream in ultra light. it helps even out skin tone with out doing multiple steps and has sunscreen in the formula. how ever this item is a bit on the pricy side around $6 a tube, however it will last you a while.

To help make the skin look paler with out actually going completely white, use a very pigmented black eyeliner, along with darkening your eyebrows with the eyeliner. for eyeliner i would suggest kleancolor as the brand does cheap make up, their eyeliners are about a dollar each, and are very pigmented.

eyeshadow to help keep the illusion up, i would suggest picking shades, that are about a shade or two darker than the skin tone you are using, if you want to go for a natural eye.

you will have to reapply the make up everyday though, it's not good for your skin to leave it on the entire five days.

What is a silicon seal? I haven't heard of that before. Thank you so much for your advice. I luckily have a few months still and have time to try it out. Quick question, do you know anything about alcohol based makeup? I heard somewhere that this could be a good option. I just wanted your opinion on it. Again thanks for your help.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:25 pm
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

Depending on what you use, you can actually try using wax as a base. Not only will this help to prevent smudges, it also helps guard against sweat and runny makeup. I use wax as a base for my full-body makeup anymore as it gives a long lasting effect and minimizes smudging and smearing. I used it on my dragonborn and it was still summer. We had our shoot outside and the makeup held up super well. I used a white kabuki makeup base mixed with color pigments to get the darker shade. Then I just used regular eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner for shading and contouring just as I would on my normal skin.

If you are just looking for long-lasting, you can certainly take tips from other posters in response to you and you can also try the wax base if you are going to go with liquid or paint-like makeup. You can also try lighter foundations and powders (you can find white powder especially for theater) to help lighten your skintone in a more "natural" look kind of way.

User Image

Thank you for the advice. What wax are you talking about? This is the first I have heard of anything like that. Which makeup brands would you recommend?  

Prays For Sanity

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:26 pm
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the advice. What wax are you talking about? This is the first I have heard of anything like that. Which makeup brands would you recommend?

The wax base is a Mitsuyoshi Japanese brand that is used in Kabuki theater, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. Its called an abura base. You can find them floating around online. Shiseido also carries kabuki abura base makeup and generally cheaper than Mitsuyoshi. Oftentimes you can find it as a set with shiro nuri.

I also agree with xXButterflied MemoriesXx. You really shouldn't leave any form of makeup on for more than you have to, let alone 5 days. That is horrible for your skin health. A silicone sealer is a good idea. As with any makeup, you will have to continue to reapply the seal or even touch up your makeup from time to time. That is a normal thing with makeup.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Rogue-dono
smithers456
Rogue-dono
I currently have a Battle Elsa that I adore and I'm going to be working on Periwinkle at some point. smile I want to do Belle, but I bought fabrics for Cinderella instead. lol

Being a big Disney character fan I have taken a lot of Disney character cosplay photos over the years. During this past year I have taken photos of Anna and Elsa cosplayers and many others. Tinkerbell and Micky Mouse are my favorite characters and I Love all of the Disney Fairy's. I can't wait to see how Periwinkle turned out. Last month I took a photo of a beautiful Belle cosplayer wearing a full ball gown and carrying a candle from the series. Please post photos of all of these cosplay outfits when you get a chance.

It must always be so amazing to see all the varieties of cosplays of the same characters!! smile The difference in design and the way the costumes are made even though it produces the same character is just so cool. smile I may have some of them floating around here somewhere, but Im scared to post too much. XD I dont want to spam the guild. lol

Yes, I have taken photos of Disney cosplays where the design and interpretation of the character various. Also it depends of the skill level of the Disney cosplayer. I complement all Disney cosplayers at all levels because I can appreciate the Love that they have of the character that they have portrayed. I do my best to bring out that joy in my photos.

As for photo spamming nothing to worry about their. Just follow the basic rules in the updated Guild Rules and Regulations. In the Photo Sub Forum this is the place to show off your work. Feel free to start a Disney Cosplay Photo Thread. In that thread you might inspire other cosplayers to post their Disney outfits in it as well.

Feel free to tell our guild members what went into making your creations and where you wore them at. Also members might find it interesting why you Love the characters so much. As for me I have a great Love for all of the Disney characters. Just look at my collection of Disney movies. So create your Disney photo thread and post away. I will enjoy seeing your work. Also on my Deviant Art page I have a Disney Cosplay album. Feel free to check it out. I know that you will like the photos. A link to my DA page is in my Gaia Signature. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 pm
Prays For Sanity

Hello Prays For Sanity. I asked Aurora to help you out with your makeup question because I knew that she would be very helpful for you. In the future feel free to start a thread in the Cosplay Help Sub Forum or send a message to Aurora directly. As Guild monitor no worries about your question not being noticed I see everything. Please post a photo of your finished cosplay outfit especially your Makeup. I know that members and our Resident Makeup artist would like to see how things worked out. We are here to help you. Thanks for reaching out for our help.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 am
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

What is a silicon seal? I haven't heard of that before. Thank you so much for your advice. I luckily have a few months still and have time to try it out. Quick question, do you know anything about alcohol based makeup? I heard somewhere that this could be a good option. I just wanted your opinion on it. Again thanks for your help.

Silicon seal is basically a sprayable make up seal. it goes on liquid and when it dries it creates a barrier causing the wear down of the make up to go a bit slower.
Alcohol based make up is actually very good. my favorite make up setting spray is an alcohol base. alcohol make up is a little bit more resistant to sweat run off, i use this for my performances where i'm constantly dancing and my make up has stayed for hours, as long as i don't touch it  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 pm
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

The wax base is a Mitsuyoshi Japanese brand that is used in Kabuki theater, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. Its called an abura base. You can find them floating around online. Shiseido also carries kabuki abura base makeup and generally cheaper than Mitsuyoshi. Oftentimes you can find it as a set with shiro nuri.

I also agree with xXButterflied MemoriesXx. You really shouldn't leave any form of makeup on for more than you have to, let alone 5 days. That is horrible for your skin health. A silicone sealer is a good idea. As with any makeup, you will have to continue to reapply the seal or even touch up your makeup from time to time. That is a normal thing with makeup.

The wax base sounds pretty useful, but I am having trouble finding it. Could you please send me links for the places you have brought it? I tried looking online, but the only places I could find it were charging $35+ for it.
I'm not going to wear makeup the whole 5 days. I was just hoping for something to last more than a few hours without constant touch ups. Ideally, I want something to last the whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I may go with the silicone sealer and some alcohol based make up, depending if I can find the wax base for not a too expensive price.
Thanks for the help. Any suggestions for how I can pale my hands and stillness able to touch things?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:42 pm
smithers456
Prays For Sanity

Hello Prays For Sanity. I asked Aurora to help you out with your makeup question because I knew that she would be very helpful for you. In the future feel free to start a thread in the Cosplay Help Sub Forum or send a message to Aurora directly. As Guild monitor no worries about your question not being noticed I see everything. Please post a photo of your finished cosplay outfit especially your Makeup. I know that members and our Resident Makeup artist would like to see how things worked out. We are here to help you. Thanks for reaching out for our help.

Hiya my dear Vice Captain! Thank you so much for the help. It's greatly appreciated. I was just posting about my project and thought that it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone had any experience or suggestions for my makeup issue. I did also post in the Makeup Help Forum.
I'll gladly post some pictures of my cosplay. I just need to make it first. I have a dress I am using as a base and am slowly collecting my supplies and materials while finalizing my design. The pictures will be a while as my convention is in August. I am thinking about maybe doing a step-by-step picture guild as I create my costume. I am thinking about basing my skin color on Geishas with bright red lips.
Again, thanks so much for the help. It is so useful to be able to get advice from other cosplayers as I am the only of my friends and family into it.  

Prays For Sanity

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:56 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity
Hello!

A few questions first;

Thank you for your help.

Silicon seal is basically a sprayable make up seal. it goes on liquid and when it dries it creates a barrier causing the wear down of the make up to go a bit slower.
Alcohol based make up is actually very good. my favorite make up setting spray is an alcohol base. alcohol make up is a little bit more resistant to sweat run off, i use this for my performances where i'm constantly dancing and my make up has stayed for hours, as long as i don't touch it

I am going to apply my makeup every day, but I was just looking for a way so that it would ideally last a whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I am going to be in a warm environment, so I am worried about heat and sweat.
Skin color wise, I am thinking along the lines of the Geishas with lips as shown below. Which silicone seal do you recommend? How exactly do you apply it?
Do you know any good brands of alcohol based makeup? Also, do you happen to have any suggestions for me to be able to pale my hands and still be able to touch things?
I am sorry about all the questions, but this is my first big cosplay and I have been planning and designing it for years, so I am worried as I will be presenting it while abroad. Thanks for the advice.  
Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff