Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "COS" ^Can O Spam^
Guild Events: How Come Why Not Doesn't Do Them Often? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm
Kor, it doesn't really work that way.
IF we had the time to set things up, it wouldn't make the guild more active. It's the other way around. The more active the guild is the more events we could really have. We do have some activities that can be tweaked, it still takes time to set things up for any given event.

Real life of us crew/captain members does take up time. And there are things like bills, significant others (husbands/wives in some cases, boyfriends/girlfriends in others) College, jobs, family emergencies, health, all things that need to be taken care of. Events might look simple, but a lot of time goes into planning each and every thread and contest.
Lets be honest, if we worked on an event and contest for hours and hardly got any activity because the members also don't have much time either, that'd be rather discouraging.

If we as a guild are more active, we're more likely to make events. But it takes up free time to set up, and takes up free time to participate.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:54 pm
Saikii

Mama Ame

Prof. Moonie

wellwisher

I don't mind that you are as you said coming off as a b***h Ame; I prefer it when people cut the crap and are straightforward with me so it doesn't bother me at all.

So let me see if I got this correct: What I'm being told is that outta the 70,000+ members of the Guild which are mostly people that have posted ever that I'm the minority because I have no life and can spend most of my time on the Internet? If the current Crew has no time to organize Events, Why Not try to find those that do have the time amongst the Guild's 70,000+ members? Hell you might be surprised and find some people that have no lives that you could learn to trust and therefore just leave a majority of the work up to them while those of you that don't have time just sit back and check into make sure they do things the way you'd do them yourselves.  

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm
I think you're relying a little too heavily on the 70k+ membership. I don't know about you, but it certainly doesn't FEEL like this guild has tens of thousands of members.

You have to understand, a large portion of that 70k is going to be comprised of people who no longer use Gaia, or people who have little to no interest in the guild for whatever reason.

Aside from actually finding organizers, your idea of outsourcing the work isn't implausible. However, it's difficult to get past the mentality of "events aren't really worth the effort," especially when that feeling has been validated in the past.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:47 pm
EVERY BODY! STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND LOOK AT THIS SWEET a**!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Leprechaun_Sean

Loyal Hunter

10,900 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm
Askeptykal
I think you're relying a little too heavily on the 70k+ membership. I don't know about you, but it certainly doesn't FEEL like this guild has tens of thousands of members.

You have to understand, a large portion of that 70k is going to be comprised of people who no longer use Gaia, or people who have little to no interest in the guild for whatever reason.

Aside from actually finding organizers, your idea of outsourcing the work isn't implausible. However, it's difficult to get past the mentality of "events aren't really worth the effort," especially when that feeling has been validated in the past.

No I'm relying on the fact that at least some small percentage (which would be many members with as many as we have total) joined this Guild for more than just being in the Guild by name. If you find a way to spark their interest they may stop lurking and actually participate in the Guild. That is what I'm counting on. Find a way to get them to participate and they will do just that. Events make Guilds and the Forums more active as long as they are interesting enough to participate in OR have worthy rewards for participating. If the Guild were to use the Mule to get Charms via DCs and grants to GoFuse into Items and sell on the MP OR just straight up sell then there could be quite a large amount of Gold in the Guild Mule Bank Account to use for incentives to join contests and giveaways for Events. Some people like to see the group they are put in effort to make them participate b4 they will participate and seeing as we have 70K members there are probably very many of them that are like that; the ones that aren't probably consist of lurkers, ones that don't find the Guild interesting enough, and ones that have left Gaia for good. Anyways what does it hurt to try to get the inactive members that still use Gaia to become active?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:11 am
Kor, I'm not saying you're a minor, but you have not shown the maturity, wisdom, and respect that comes with age. What we have been trying to say is that just because someone wants to have events does not mean those events will be successful or even happen. Good events take effort and even events with a lot of effort aren't guarenteed to be successful. These people have run a guild for years. We know how events work, but we like to know when running an event is the right choice or when people are just too busy. School, for those in school, just started too. The timing is important. Students are going to be more busy this time of year. Therefore, it isn't the best time. We have tried being reasonable with you and explaining, but listening doesn't look like something you want to do. -sighs-  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

SuicidalSkittles
Crew

Rainbow Witch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 am
I can't believe the ******** I just read.

Kor, I'm sorry we the crew, are all grown ups here. We aren't able to just sit on our a** and plan out events for you all day. We have big boy, and big girl things to do. Like work, take care of our kids, families, etc. We aren't 15, 16 anymore.

If you think you have what it takes to run a successful guild with plenty of events, then you are welcome to take those ideas to your own guild.

Enough said.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:13 am
SuicidalSkittles

Kor, I'm sorry we the crew, are all grown ups here. We aren't able to just sit on our a** and plan out events for you all day. We have big boy, and big girl things to do. Like work, take care of our kids, families, etc. We aren't 15, 16 anymore.

If you think you have what it takes to run a successful guild with plenty of events, then you are welcome to take those ideas to your own guild.

Enough said.

*Tugs your arm*

Can we go to Toys R Us? emotion_kirakira  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 am
Well, I'm not part of the crew or nothing, but I'm tossing my two cents anyways. And most of this has most likely already been said before but whatever, I don't have enough time to read everything before page two.

Kor, first off pretty much everyone with the exception of a select few are working adults. Many of which are also attending some school or are volunteering. That in and of itself takes away from about eighty percent of one's free time. So there's that. Then you have to add in the fact that people have families to pay attention to and at least pretend they care about as well as emergencies that would take about about another five percent of one's free time. Then there are luxuries like reading and Netflix and Gaia and video games that take up the rest. I highly doubt that Gaia is very high on that list of priorities and so doesn't get much time. Heck, I spend more time on Netflix and video games than anything else, and pop into Gaia occasionally to see if there's anything worth posting in. It's not because I don't care, rather it's because I don't have enough time in my schedule to do much else.

So, there's that. People don't have much time. And anyone who has ever tried to set up anything knows that setting something worth while takes a ton of time. These things don't just happen. And if you don't take a good amount of your day to plan it out, it usually seems half baked and not very interesting.

Then, there's the fact that there are barely any people active on here anymore. I could probably count the number of active members on the fingers of both hands. I'm of course talking about people active in the main forum and from what I've seen in COS. I am not counting the people in RPC because they usually stay in that section of Why Not and don't.come to any other part of the guild. Ever. And nobody wants to put a ton of effort into something just to see it fall apart because nobody is participating I gave up on making rp's simply because the numbers needed to keep one going just aren't there. It's not that they're boring. It's just hard to get enough people on board to start one when you only have ten people in the area and out of those ten only two to four will be interested in joining any rp. And four is usually the minimum I would need to keep it going and I interesting.

So I give up because I've been discouraged by the lack of overall activity and interest. I'm sure that the staff of the guild feel the same way with events. I've seen several fall flat because not enough people participate, either because the numbers aren't there or because the people are too busy with real life or both. So they no longer want to put the time and effort into an awesome event that hardly anyone is going to participate in. I wish we were all like you Kor and that we all had tons of time for this. But unfortunately we don't, and hence, it doesn't get done.

Okay, I'm finished rambling now. Sorry for any typos, I did all this on my phone.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:44 am
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

Well said.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

SuicidalSkittles
Crew

Rainbow Witch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm
Zphal
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

*Tugs your arm*

Yes! Lets go! *holds hand*  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:15 pm
SuicidalSkittles
Zphal
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

*Tugs your arm*

Yay! *swings our arms* I'ma buy LEGOs and a cool action figure with this money I earned from my paycheck! 4laugh  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:53 pm
Zphal
SuicidalSkittles
Zphal
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

*Tugs your arm*

Yay! *swings our arms* I'ma buy LEGOs and a cool action figure with this money I earned from my paycheck! 4laugh

*jumps on your backs* YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 pm
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! You mean I actually have to care for my ******** rid of the kennel*  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

SuicidalSkittles
Crew

Rainbow Witch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm
Mama Ame
SuicidalSkittles

Enough said.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! You mean I actually have to care for my ******** rid of the kennel*

LMAO rofl  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces