Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Supreme Court Says States Must Recognize Gay Marriage Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:10 am

The country is doing what it was founded to do: provide rights and freedoms to everyone. And while many of the founding fathers were Christian, and while Christianity has enjoyed a prestigious standing in the United States, we must remember that the U.S.A. was never founded as a Christian nation. I know that people want to believe that it was, but it wasn't. Our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, clearly demonstrates that it was not to favor any particular religion.

Pull out a dollar bill and look at it. You will notice that it says something: Novus Ordo Seclorum. Literally, "New Order Secular" or "New Secular Order". This country was founded on secularism, inspired by secular ideals and a desire to separate every religion from the State. The "In God We Trust" phrase wasn't added until later because of a fear of Communism. "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance was not added until later because of a fear of Communism. It is very important that we, as Christians, remember this.

The country is doing what it was founded to do. Now, the moment it forces a religious group to participate in homosexual marriage, such as forcing a pastor, who believes homosexual relations to be a sin, to marry two homosexuals, it has overstepped its bounds and is going against the Constitution.

It is for this reason that I support this country's decision to make it possible for homosexual couples to get "married". It is not because I don't believe that homosexual relations are inherently sinful, nor it is because I believe that homosexual marriage, in the real sense of the institution before God, can exist. Rather, I support this country in providing rights to everyone and protecting those liberties. In return, I expect the country to do the same for me. Will it happen? Eh--I don't know. I would like to think so, but know better.

It is important for Christians to remember that the U.S.A. was not founded as a Christian nation but as a secular nation.

Of course, I question whether there should have been a United States of America in the first place, considering the strong language of submission to authority found in Paul's and Peter's epistles, and in principle when Jesus says to give to Caesar what is Caesar's. It seems possible, to me, that rebellion against the English government over taxes (primarily) wasn't a good enough reason to rebel. This doesn't mean that I'm a traitor, nor does it mean that I do not have love for this country. I just have loyalty to God's Word first.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:51 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

The country is doing what it was founded to do: provide rights and freedoms to everyone. And while many of the founding fathers were Christian, and while Christianity has enjoyed a prestigious standing in the United States, we must remember that the U.S.A. was never founded as a Christian nation. I know that people want to believe that it was, but it wasn't. Our Constitution, the Bill of Rights, clearly demonstrates that it was not to favor any particular religion.

Pull out a dollar bill and look at it. You will notice that it says something: Novus Ordo Seclorum. Literally, "New Order Secular" or "New Secular Order". This country was founded on secularism, inspired by secular ideals and a desire to separate every religion from the State. The "In God We Trust" phrase wasn't added until later because of a fear of Communism. "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance was not added until later because of a fear of Communism. It is very important that we, as Christians, remember this.

The country is doing what it was founded to do. Now, the moment it forces a religious group to participate in homosexual marriage, such as forcing a pastor, who believes homosexual relations to be a sin, to marry two homosexuals, it has overstepped its bounds and is going against the Constitution.

It is for this reason that I support this country's decision to make it possible for homosexual couples to get "married". It is not because I don't believe that homosexual relations are inherently sinful, nor it is because I believe that homosexual marriage, in the real sense of the institution before God, can exist. Rather, I support this country in providing rights to everyone and protecting those liberties. In return, I expect the country to do the same for me. Will it happen? Eh--I don't know. I would like to think so, but know better.

It is important for Christians to remember that the U.S.A. was not founded as a Christian nation but as a secular nation.

Of course, I question whether there should have been a United States of America in the first place, considering the strong language of submission to authority found in Paul's and Peter's epistles, and in principle when Jesus says to give to Caesar what is Caesar's. It seems possible, to me, that rebellion against the English government over taxes (primarily) wasn't a good enough reason to rebel. This doesn't mean that I'm a traitor, nor does it mean that I do not have love for this country. I just have loyalty to God's Word first.

I agree with this except I don't agree with going against traditional marriage. However restricting benefits, tax breaks, insurance, etc. to heterosexual couples (some don't even have to be married) is not right. The US was never Christian, just look at its history.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if down the line, churches were forced to marry homosexuals because it's not the first time the government breaks its own rules; they do it all the time, they just have pretty words and excuses for it. Either that or churches themselves will give in to the pressure and allow gay marriage in order to save their church. It makes me think about what will happen to my church down the road  

ChibiHigh

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 pm
ChibiHigh
Scarlet_Teardrops

I agree with this except I don't agree with going against traditional marriage. However restricting benefits, tax breaks, insurance, etc. to heterosexual couples (some don't even have to be married) is not right. The US was never Christian, just look at its history.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if down the line, churches were forced to marry homosexuals because it's not the first time the government breaks its own rules; they do it all the time, they just have pretty words and excuses for it. Either that or churches themselves will give in to the pressure and allow gay marriage in order to save their church. It makes me think about what will happen to my church down the road

Well, it all depends on what the each different church groups decided to stand on. When it happened in my country, my church decided that they welcome the LGBT community in (I mean, Jesus hang out with the lowest of the low, and we should be doing the same in a safe way. After all, we are suppose to be Christlike, and they are human), but due to the church's work overseas where it is still illegal in some countries, we can't marry them (cause you know the penalty right?) though we can be witnesses as support to the couple. Your churches might decide on a different stance or shut the community out completely. So I suggest to talk to your pastor/minister/CO/etc about what they're going to do and how they are going to stand their ground when the government decides to push or force them to do what the church doesn't. And most importantly, pray about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:36 am
Galatians 1:10

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Psalm 47:8

God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.

Romans 12:1-2

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Ephesians 4:17

So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind,  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 am
ChibiHigh
Scarlet_Teardrops

Well, as I said in my post, I do not regard homosexual marriage as being "marriage" in the traditional sense because of my Christian worldview.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm
I knew this was coming, but it is still disappointing either way. I am thankful that Christ is coming back-I personally hope it will be within mine or the next generation. It's going to be hard to take pride in this country this July 4th...  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

News with a Christian perspective

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas