Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[3.5] Discovering the Holy Kingdom Recruitment Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What version of DnD would YOU like to use for this game?
  3.5e/Pathfinder
  5e
View Results

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:25 pm
I second Grey Fox's question. It is important... unless it's in the subforum.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 pm
That is a good question that I'm surprised I didn't think about. Showing your rolls on Gaia can be a bit spammy, but point buy is a bit too restricting, I feel. Though there are different levels of point buy.

How do you guys want to do it? Do you want to use the subforum's OOC chat to roll for your abilities, or do you want to use the point buy system? If the latter is chosen, I'd probably go with thirty-two points for buying abilities - not too high, but not so low that you don't have room to breathe.

I may change the poll so people can vote on this.  

TerashiLeonGoken

Eloquent Guildsman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm
We, as a guild, normally set a thread aside for multiple rolls(single rolls can be done in post) and plaster the totals with our story post.

As for ability rolls, we normally leave that to the player. As long as it is within limits set by dm(example: roll 4d6, drop lowest, six times. If the results don't add up to 32 point buy. You may reroll, once, or use the point buy system.)

AND this is a throw away thread, so creating our characters here wouldn't be spammy and we can chat to round out the party's needs.

That said, no answer was given for my forbidden materials (books, online, 3rd party) question.

Edit:A lot of Dm's don't like Vow of Poverty or Psionics.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 pm
He's got it all there.

Grey Fox, what were you thinking of making, and what do you think of the Master of Many Forms PRC?  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:10 am
I played a Master of Many Forms in my first D&D game ever. It was fun but we also started at level 20 (wasn't a very serous game) so I got to have all the goodies right off the bat. (Would transform into a 20 headed hydra!)

Considering how high in the levels you had to get to enjoy the monsters extraordinary or special abilities and, that's only after meeting the prerequisites in druid, it might take you really long time to reach that point in a play by post where our characters are starting at level 1.

As for generating stats, I prefer point buy as it makes a level playing field for everyone. That being said I know I am the minority in this opinion and people like rolling dice. So I would suggest going with SCN's idea where people roll their ability scores once or twice and if they don't like results they can go with point buy.

Looking through my 3.5 books I'm looking at playing a race by class character. Either a half-dragon (though not Seraphina) from Races of the Dragon or a ghoul from Libris Mortis or possibly a shifter fighter/ranger.

The shiftier would be ranged dps and the Half Dragon melee dps.

The ghoul would be sort of an interesting utility character that would paralyze enemies, but to play her I think we would need someone with the ability to cast inflict spells to heal her.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm
If you guys want to roll for abilities here, that's fine. Sounds good. I'm also looking forward to seeing what everybody's making.

As far as forbidden materials: None. Make whatever you want so long as it makes a character with a challenge rating of one. No races or templates that add level adjustment, etc. Mind you, that rule will be abolished once we have a working team with an average level of above 1st. Reason being that I want to keep everybody around the same level if at all possible, at least early on.  

TerashiLeonGoken

Eloquent Guildsman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 24 6-sided dice: 6, 4, 2, 6, 2, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 2, 5, 5, 5, 6, 4, 3, 3, 6, 6, 4, 3, 1, 1 Total: 94 (24-144)

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:06 pm
I must have missed it...

I normally build my characters based on needs of the group, and my rolls. But, I was heavily favoring the Quickling, with a close second place going to the Troll(Both Pathfinder monster classes, unknown if covered by pathfinder material is allowed clause). I made a 4e character based on both of those races, and would like to play one.

I also have been looking a Star Elf Cleric(Protection/unknown), who would be support/melee.

I having only dreamed of playing a MoMF, I prefer the Non-caster Wild shape Ranger(Complete Warrior and Unearthed Arcana) to the Druid route. As it has a better skill points per level and higher BAB. Beyond that, I completely agree with Kow's assessment.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:43 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
I must have missed it...

I normally build my characters based on needs of the group, and my rolls. But, I was heavily favoring the Quickling, with a close second place going to the Troll(Both Pathfinder monster classes, unknown if covered by pathfinder material is allowed clause). I made a 4e character based on both of those races, and would like to play one.

I also have been looking a Star Elf Cleric(Protection/unknown), who would be support/melee.

I having only dreamed of playing a MoMF, I prefer the Non-caster Wild shape Ranger(Complete Warrior and Unearthed Arcana) to the Druid route. As it has a better skill points per level and higher BAB. Beyond that, I completely agree with Kow's assessment.

SCN, If you wanted to play your Star Elf Cleric and give him/her the inflict line of spells, then I can play my Ghoul girl.

The idea behind the character is she was a sickly girl who was dying but her rich noble mother turned her into a ghoul to keep her around. It was a selfish act on her part. She wanted to keep her daughter with her even if it meant she was a member o the undead. The mom then kept her ghoul daughter hidden in their mansion, dressing her up in fancy outfits and feeding her the rotted meat she desired. Years turned to decades and eventualy the mother reached the end of her natural life. She planned to end the unnatural life of her daughter but couldn't go through with it. She then passed away and the ghoul, whose very existence had been kept secret for decades, had to flee as living members of the family came to claim her mothers assets. On her own she has decided to adventure around the world and see all the things she never could experience as a sickly child and then as an unliving doll in her mother's house.

We could tie our characters back stories together where you as a cleric came across her feeding in a graveyard but then took pity on her after hearing her story and realizing she was not evil as normal for her ilk, and then decided to help take care of her and keep her out of trouble. I was going to borrow the feat from pathfinder that lets a ghoul pass off as being completely human, so thier should be no initial eyebrows raised by her presence.  

Kowsauni
Crew

TerashiLeonGoken

Eloquent Guildsman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm
I like the idea of you two teaming up like that. The fact that Grey fox would be a Star Elf would mean that some races would mistrust him because of his lineage, and the fact that he'd be harboring a ghoul would play into that, which would make for some interesting scenarios.

But don't let me decide what your characters are. I want to give you guys (almost) full rein of what you play, though I'm fine with you guys conspiring to make a balanced team, too, if you want. It's not necessary, but I'm fine with it.

Pariyl uses the 3.5e default pantheon, which I believe is the Greyhawk pantheon, plus one ore two extra deities that were adventurers in Pariyl's past that ascended to deitydom. So if you wanted to make a protection cleric, you could go with St. Cuthbert for protection/strength as a slayer of evil or Serenity for protection/healing to shield the weak (which would play well into your relationship with the ghoul girl) or protection/war for a full-on war cleric. Moradin and Yondalla also have Protection, but they're largely racial deities (dwarf and halfling, respectively). I could have sworn Pelor and Heironeous had Protection, but they don't.

Also, I'm thinking of making this the OOC thread temporarily and keeping it open so people can see that we're looking for new members without looking in the subforum. I might (see: probably) have this closed and open a new OOC thread in the subforum once we have a larger group. I'm thinking I'll close it when we have six players.

Oh, and Pathfinder material is allowed. It's close enough to 3.5e. That, and there are a few Pathfinder magic items I plan on having in the game.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm
Kow: Sounds good to me, but I am going to hold back on my character, until I know what Rag is going to play.

I might change it to an Inquisitor, they can cast the inflict spells as well, or a Pathfinder cleric, depending on if he is staying team kobold, or joining team undead...  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 pm
Hmm... you make an excellent point. MoMF I still want to do, especially cause of the roleplay potential, but getting up to that level is going to take a long while. So instead, I'm deciding on what to do. Rogue or some sort of arcane caster?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:09 pm
Well, a rogue would complement the Ghoul well considering her paralyzing targets would allow for easy sneak attacks. We currently lack a tanky sort of individual but if SCN plays a cleric that should help keep us alive. Since there is a 4 lvl adjustment built into the Ghoul class I'll be kinda low on HP for a while.><  

Kowsauni
Crew

TerashiLeonGoken

Eloquent Guildsman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:43 pm
Damn. I said no level adjustment stuff, but I really like the ghoul idea... Guess I'll abolish that rule, then.

Rogue would help her out so she could keep hidden while stuff's happening in towns and such so guards don't get called on her.

By the way, how are level adjustments usually handled in this guild?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 pm
TerashiLeonGoken
Damn. I said no level adjustment stuff, but I really like the ghoul idea... Guess I'll abolish that rule, then.

Rogue would help her out so she could keep hidden while stuff's happening in towns and such so guards don't get called on her.

By the way, how are level adjustments usually handled in this guild?

It still is within your rules. In the 3.5 book, Libris Mortis, the Ghoul is treated like a class. So Instead of being like a human fighter you are instead a human Ghoul. As you gain levels you get more and more of the Ghouls abilities until at level 8 you are exactly the same as a character who took the Ghoul template with its +4 level adjustment. The thing I was talking about is unlike a traditional class I don't get a new hit die every new level. By the time I am level 8 I will only have four d12 hit die and no additional hit points from Con. Considering I am also immediately destroyed if I fall to zero hp I will have to play this character rather carefully. >< For starting out though it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyways here is a link to a pdf of the book if you would like to look at the details of the ghoul monster class.

Link  

Kowsauni
Crew

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 pm
This is also the feat I was going to take with her from pathfinder so she could walk around in town without raising too much suspicion.

Civilized Ghoulishness

Although undead, you can easily pass as living.

Prerequisite: Ghoul, Charisma 18.

Benefit: Your appearance is such that, while pale-skinned and gaunt, you can pass as a living humanoid of your choice. You gain a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human, and your channel resistance increases by +2. Ghasts with this feat can activate or suppress their stench ability as a free action.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff