Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "RPC" *Roleplay Central*
➤The ✭ Perfect ✫ World ➧➧➤ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What motivates you?
  Freedom
  Acceptance
  Power
  Wealth
  Love
  Knowledge
View Results

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm
Nova... She said. Nova. I like Nova. She smiled at him, her golden eyes twinkling with --Searching: "Excitement"-- I am Nova!

~~~

I found the rest of my soul food sushi and nommed on it. I immediately perked up, feeling slightly stronger.

You are my friend Eva. That's what friends do. They care. And if it will ease your mind, I'll help. I smiled at her kindly with a nod.

I leaned against the counter as the Crepe mix sizzled. I hadn't gotten far in my cooking.

As far as I know, yes. Extremely difficult to create, mind you, so there can't be many of them, but yes.

I then flipped the crepe.

From what I figure, it's a process of growing a skeleton then adding organs, muscles and tissues until you have a complete body. The brain was always the hardest organ to make; intricate, delicate nerves that are easy to damage. Also extremely specialized. Neuron cells don't make new neuron cells, which is why it's so difficult to recover from brain trauma.

I rapped my knuckles on my head.

That's what the skull is for. To protect the brain. Back before the war, it was possible to record and transfer someones consciousness and sub-conscious, essentially their mind, and transfer it from one brain to another. However, it was risky, because the memory part of the brain usually causes problems. One's memory is written directly into the structure of the brain.

I scratched my chin before flipping the crepe onto a plate and rolling it full of crab, which I then pushed in Eva's direction.

Now, an AI inhabiting a living brain... It takes a lot to program a believable AI personality. But I suppose if you programmed it to be able to learn and evolve, at least mentally, the program itself would become more complex as it goes along and the personality would feel more complete. And then you'd have to figure out how to make the AI work with not a hard drive or a mother board, but a tight complex bundle of neurons. And every brain works differently, every mind works differently. You couldn't just use a cookie-cutter template. You'd have to tailor the AI to the brain and visa versa. I suspect it would be extremely difficult to make a human AI... but not impossible. But I doubt there would be many problems with memory in that way tho. A blank brain and a blank AI with no memory. Both allows for the new being to learn and grow unhindered by previous information.

I started on my plate then, and the batter was already sizzling. I looked up at the ceiling as I thought.

I suppose to add realism they might throw in some fake memories... especially if they don't want the AI to know it's an AI. It would also make the personality more 'human' I suppose. But I would think if you let an AI interact and learn and grow long enough, you'll have something that resembles a human mind anyway.

~~~

As Nova was speaking to Genesis in the Simulation, Nova now had discovered another 'body' that she inhabits. She sound hserself standing in a row of robots that looked very much like her-- infact, this form wasn't all that different from the form she had inhabited before she had gotten her favored hat.

She studied the Caretaker next to her, and saw that the caretaker had thin hair like sensors on it's head, designed to move when the air did. It had orange optical like eyes, and black armor like her own. She looked down the row, then at herself. Each Caretaker had a slightly different frame, though the armor seemed to be mainly the same. They were the first models, besides the custom AI's like Nemesis and Genesis, to have faces and eyes. And the first to have something similar to hair. Hers was black, and she seemed to have a slightly more slender build then her fellow models.

She wandered away from the row, and into a grey hallway. Down some passages she wandered, down others, passing other Caretakers with scanners. After a while she found a place with no other caretakers. A part of the place which was empty. Eventually she found a random room and entered, and Nova, ever curious, entered. It was a storage room.

It was full of boxes which blocked off the main part of the room. They created a sort of makeshift hallway leading along the wall to the main part of room. Nova wondered what was in the boxes. There was one next to her foot, and she opened it.

Inside were clothes. She blinked at them, before shuffling through them. This one was full of shirts and similar garments.

((User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Nova as she is in the Real world))

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:18 pm
"So everything I've felt, thought and done could be pre-programmed into my existence..." Eva declared bleakly, "I'm just a tool, a storage device. I'm a flashdrive." She stared at the plate blankly for a moment, before forcing herself to locate a fork and try it. She was almost too nauseated to take the first bite, but once she did, her hunger awoke. That crepe was gone in record time.
Eva sat back in her seat, sighed. "I don't even know what I'm looking for, nor what I expect to find. Anything, I guess. Anything that can tell me what the hell I am, and why they made me this way..."

• • •

Chris had heard the door open, heard the steady mechanical whir. He was hidden behind a wall of crates, crouched down and searching silently for a weapon. If what Genesis had said was true, that any other Caretaker would mercilessly slaughter him, then he was screwed. His eyes locked onto a disconnected pipe on the floor. He shuffled over to it, grabbed it, and then dropped it accidentally. The sound of metal-striking-metal resonated loudly in the storeroom, and Chris went absolutely still. Only the dumbest of robots wouldn't recognize that noise as an intruder.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Nova stopped and set the crate down, looking down along the line of crates. She blinked, her eyes making the sound of a shutter.

Hello? No normal caretaker would even bother to speak; and if they did, it would be in a blank monotone. Nova had a puzzled and curious tone to her voice, which also sounded lightly musical. Is anyone there?

She walked down the wall of crates and peered around them, orange eyes holding a child-like curiosity as she peered around the room. She blinked, and her eyes made the sound of a shutter again.

~~~

Possibly. Or your actions could have been your own. That's the thing about a human brain. It is very hard to control directly. It is the law of free will. It is possible to manipulate, maybe, but not directly control.

I finished making the crepe, and I started to eat. I finished it quickly myself.

Well, you have someone on your side. I said with a smile on my face. I bowed to her. And I know that you have one thing that cannot be created or developed. A soul. That is truly your own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 pm
"Not one for cheap parlor tricks are we?" Dante asked as he ducked, reformed the charging canon into a sword and swung it at Nemesis to counter the next swing. "I have a question, does taking out a Caretaker in here disable it outside?" Dante asked curiously, kind of wishing he had attracted Genesis' attention.  

omgIisonfiyah

Interesting Lunatic

14,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm
Chris had reached the pipe again, this time ducked down lower than before. He listened to its voice, and for moment thought it might have been Genesis, but noticed the more feminine tone. Though, the fact that it was even speaking to him was rather odd. He hefted the pipe over his shoulder, pushed forward a stack of crates ahead of Nova, then rolled out into the walkway behind her. He held his weapon like a sword, poised for combat, "Just your enemy, apparently."

• • •

"Here," A man clad in the Southeastern uniform approached the robot, "Spray the contents of all those boxes with this. When you run out, grab another can from that stack."
Genesis examined the contents of the canister, its sensors determining a lethal pathogen to be inside. It glanced back up to the man, "May I inquire the intent behind such action?"
He waved dismissively at the Caretaker, "Just doin' what the dictator wants. Apparently we're openin' trade with East, and they're exchangin' some massively destructive weaponry fer food. But he don't want East gettin' any more powerful, so we're taintin' their food to dwindle their population a tad. Politics at its finest, eh? Now get to work."
"Understood." Genesis replied mechanically with a nod, then knelt down to the first box of produce. It sprayed the pathogen over a small portion of the box's contents, waited for the man to leave. As soon as it detected no nearby human life, it immediately headed for a wall-mounted sink, then dumped the lethal substance down the drain. It refilled the container with simple water, and proceeded to switch out the substance of every can in the stack. By the time the man returned, Genesis was back to spraying the boxes as if nothing had changed.
It detected the awakening of Nova elsewhere in the facilities, and knew of her whereabouts. She had located Chris. Genesis tried to send her a message: The boy is not a threat, though he may view you as being one. Do not let harm come to him, and do not notify others of his location.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 pm
As Nova turned to him, the boy was met by a pair of curious orange eyes. Right as he rolled behind her, pipe posed, she got the message from Genesis. --Searching Meaning "Threat; 1) An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment. 2) An indication of impending danger or harm. 3) One that is regarded as a possible danger; a menace." ... Searching: human gestures, peaceful; hands up, palms showing-- Very well, Genesis. Was her response as Nova stepped back, away from him, holding her arms up in a peaceful gesture. She moved oddly for a Caretaker, more fluid and human like. She tilted her head at them as she found her way blocked by some crates.

Why would you be my enemy?

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm
Chris watched the robot and scoffed, "The hell is this? Some kind of goddamn joke? Caretakers are just murder machines; heartless soldiers that fire without questioning." He lowered his weapon into a more relaxed position, a mocking grin on his face, "So, they don't tell you things why you should kill us? I'm a Revolutionary from West's division, that's why. We're trying to destroy your creators, and stop them from making more death machines."

• • •

Eva thought about Scarlet's last statement for a moment, then nodded, "I suppose so... still doesn't mean their actions were justified, though." She stood up and looked around, her eyes landed on the door to the bathroom. She needed a shower.

• • •

Nemesis easily matched his swing, blocking it with her own blade. She gave an emotionless smirk, "Now why would I divulge such information to a known enemy? In theory, it should... but how else would I still be here if that theory was true?" The Caretaker slashed once more at his head, then twisted around into a roundhouse kick to the man's side.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm
Murder machines? Her eyes made the sound of shutters again as she blinked. I thought Caretakers were supposed to take care of the Simulation. At least, that's what Genesis told me. I've only existed for 5 minutes. I don't think I've hurt anyone...

She then thought of what he said about her creators. Her creators... were her creators those two people in the apartment? Were they dead? ... Oh dear... Nova's eyes suddenly got big like she was about to cry.

~~~

True.

I saw her eye the bathroom. I made another crepe, devoured it, before heading to where my armor package sat. I went to an object on the wall, pulled it out. It was a folding screen. I vanished from view and started to put it on.

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:00 pm
"They DO maintain the simulation... but that's the problem. The government —your master— doesn't want to give people the choice not to live in the lie. We're trying to change that. But your brethren are programmed to kill every resistance member, to eliminate free will." Chris explained with his eyebrow raised, surprised by the robot's ignorance, "Though, if you're associated with Genesis, I suppose you might be different. You also seem newer, since I don't recognize your model type. Perhaps they haven't uploaded the program to you yet."

• • •

Eva entered the shower, this time not so overwhelmed by the water's weight. She glanced down at herself, felt her own skin. It seemed genuine enough, looked the same as any other person's skin. Even the faint trails of blue veins were the same. She flexed her fingers, humoring herself by imagining a mechanical noise each time they tightened. If she was an artificial being, they had done an incredible job at crafting this body.
She remembered the voice, thought about it a while. It referred to itself as her "parent." She tried to think of a face to match it, but couldn't even decide on the person's gender. The voice had been too perfect, too neutral for a face. Again she recalled that image of the robot kneeling over her, and the glowing green monitor behind it. Had that been a true memory?
Numbers started flowing into her mind once more, picking up from where she'd stopped. Eva rushed to wash the shampoo out of her hair, and hastily got dressed. She re-entered the main room, grabbed a new sheet of paper, and immediately wrote down the long strings of digits.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm
Nova looked to him, before remembering the room where she had awoken in. She lowered her hands and scratched her head-- another human gesture. Now that she took time to remember the details, the man had been behind her... with a laptop, and another Caretaker had been closer, with a chord attached to the laptop in hand. She had seen programming language on the screen. She tried to think... it was a code to... evolve? Was that what the code was?

Maybe... Maybe it was erased... I'm an anomaly, I think... I feel no need to kill anyone, Resistance or no. Genesis gave me the name Nova.

~~~

I stepped out from behind the screen, and I saw Eva rush out and hurridly start writing down number. I wanered over to her.

My armor was Blue, white, and silver with gold accents. The fingers on my gloves were silver up to the knuckle, and the rest of the glove came to middle forearm, where a rather sharp looking golden cuff flared out on the outside of the arm. It continued from under my cuff in blue ceramic up to my elbow, then up to my shoulders, where a pair of silver shouldergaurds were. The chest plate was silver, with a flared silver collar that circled around my neck for protection; a single blue topaz set in gold was placed directly over my heart. My tummy was guarded by layered and sectioned blue metal and ceramic plates, allowing for freedom of movement to my abdominal area. They were connected by similar white armor to my blue armored thigh high boots, which had a single gold and black buckle on the top of the foot where it met the leg. On each side, sharp looking white wings were attached to the outer ankle. Under my arm was a full head helmet with a very wide clear visor of a similar design, blue, white and gold, with white wings flaring from just behind the temple. The whole thing was designed for maximum protection as well as to allow for maximum flexibility.

I went over to where I had dropped my hammer and my rifle, and I strapped the hammer onto my back; and the rifle I held in my hand. I then went back to the kitchen and started cooking again.

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm
Chris shook his head, "Whatever, robot. I honestly don't care. I just want out of this goddamn place..." He turned back toward the doorway, weapon ready at his side. He wandered out into the hall, eyes darting every direction for signs of other Caretakers. Nothing. Silent, empty pathways. A slight fog clung to the floor of a circular walkway ahead. He followed the trail.
Only the hum of the lighting fixtures above and in the floor greeted him, along with a steep decline in temperature. Every breath let out a puff of steam. The round catwalk led off into eight separate hallways, but the mist flowed from only one. The boy paused to consider his options, and suddenly heard footsteps approaching from the left. He ran down the hall with the fog, searching for a room... any room. The footsteps were drawing nearer, easily catching up. An automated door slid open, and Chris ducked inside without hesitation.
It was dark, and bitterly cold. The mist permeated this entire room, like a phantom rising in the night. He heard the footsteps pass right by in the hall outside, then fade off into silence. He waited for a moment, then reached back for the doorway again, his hand finding its handle. But it wouldn't budge. 'Damn... I need to find the light switch in this place, see what I'm doing...'
His arm dragged across the wall as he walked, skimming over the icy metal. It burned his bare hand, threatening to give frostbite if he kept it up. Something was wrong with this place — it shouldn't be this cold without reason. He gave up when he encountered the first corner, arms tightening around himself to keep warm. Chris paced back and forth, trying to think of some way to get out of here. But he had to think fast, for the frost would quickly overcome him...

Genesis felt the boy's presence fade, and it immediately started off on a trail. The Southeastern man called out to it, "Hey! Caretaker! You're not finished yet!"
"I apologize, but I have been given a high-priority task. I shall send a replacement shortly." The machine explained, just before it vanished out the door. Its sensors' range expanded as it searched for any sign of Chris, any hint of him still being alive. The Caretaker found this very phenomenon odd, because it hadn't detected anyone pursuing the boy. Only when he entered that room...

• • •

Eva finished writing the eleventh page and halted. She glanced up to Scarlet absentmindedly, eying the girl's new armor. It seemed a bit...overkill. At least it would protect its wearer, though. She settled back against the wall, letting her mind wander. The journey ahead was something she both needed and dreaded.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 pm
((Overkill? This armor can deflect bullets. xd ))

Soon I had finished one last crepe before finding myself sufficiently satisfied. I then headed back to the spot on the floor to lie down.

I soaked up more of Mother Earth's healing energy before Odessa, Mother, and Father arrived.

They stepped inside, each wearing armor that was just as good, or better, as my own. Mother had a HUGE shield on her arm, nearly larger then she was; It was polished so well that it looked like a mirror on her arm. In her other hand was a mace. Her armor's main color was a deep red, silver, and white with gold accents. Father had a maul, and his armor's colors were gold, silver, white, with red accents. Odessa's armor was orange, silver, white, and gold. She, like always, had her meteor hammer.

Scarlet? How are you feeling? Lukas looked to me with his sky blue eyes.

I lifted my head from my spot.

Better. I have some food in my system now.

He smiled and came over to me, picking me up and holding me tightly in a hug.

I love ya, kiddo.

Love you too dad.

Isabella smiled, and looked to Eva. She went over to her and handed her a package bearing a set of very plain white armor, similar to the stuff we wore.

It should fit you.

~~~

Nova watched the boy go, pausing for a very long moment. She looked at the door, then back at the boxes. --Searching: Courses of action: "Pursue" "Follow" "Tail"-- Should I pursue him, Genesis? She asked the elder Caretaker.

She glanced around the room and nudged a box with her foot. It sent the crates toppling, and out split some more... exotic garments. Among them was a very long, thick, black cloak, with gold pins and accents, and silver edging. Nova picked it up and fastened it around her neck, twirled for a moment, enjoying the wooshing sound of the cape.

(She is a child after all... pic of her with the cape. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ))

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:11 pm
((She thinks it's overkill because of all the decoration, and the completeness of it. xd ))

Yes. I am on my way to his last logged location, however I cannot move at optimal speed without raising suspicion. At current statistics, I should arrive in about five minutes. Genesis replied to Nova as it walked, acting outwardly as if it had been given a task by someone.

The frost was seeping further into his flesh, making the boy's tremors more violent. His hair was frozen as brittle strands, and his face had begun to numb. Chris started to wander further from the door, desperate for any relief. A very dim green glow caught his attention, and he followed it.
The glow intensified the closer he got, until he realized it came from an entirely new room connected to the first. It wasn't just a single glow, either; whole rows of illuminated tubes jutted up from the floor to the ceiling. Chris gasped as his vision adjusted, shocked not by the containers, but by their contents. Inside each was a living creature, varied in size, which had roughly human figures. They were in suspended animation.
Chris headed over to the nearest, a woman with long, dark hair and a mechanical third eye stitched into her forehead. Other oddities such as wires and tubes protruded from her skin in random intervals like veins. A nameplate adorned the base of the woman's capsule, which identified her as 'Alena.' He was sickened by her appearance, by the ideas of what they'd done to her, but found himself captivated. He lightly rested a hand upon the glass. Alena's mechanical eye suddenly blinked, and a deep blue luminescence resonated within the artificial pupil. Chris screamed in surprise, and fell backward onto the icy floor.

• • •

Eva admired the sight of all of them, the colorful ensemble. She was reminded of those ancient fairy tales, of the "knights in shining armor." Isabella's shield alone took the "shining" aspect almost too literally. She was surprised when the woman handed her the package, "Oh! Thank you." She accepted it with a grateful nod, then glanced down to the armor with visible confusion. She hadn't the slightest clue how to equip it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm
((Fun Fact: I have a feeling what color a Northwestener sees when they look at Eva is the color pink. It is the color of emotion, and of passion. If she ever ends up joining Northwest, they will dye her suit a solid pink color. The shade would be up to her tho, so she can either go around with solid barbie doll princess pink armor or a pale pink armor if she chooses. I am having fun building the culture and society of Northwest... if you can't tell.

As for the decoration, that indicates family. Lukas's family colors is silver, Isabella's family colors is white. Lukas's color is gold, which you can see decorating the rest of tho other's armor as a connection to him. His decorations are red, showing connection to Isabella, as red is her color. Scarlet's color is blue (yet yer name is Scarlet-- go figure) Odessa's color is, dun dun duh da, Orange. They are complete because, after all, they're heading into a place where the Caretakers are armed to the teeth; not to mention there probably will be hostile humans there as well.))

It is one piece. Isabella explained. It is several layers of metals, ceramics, and silks. Pull it on legs first like a jumpsuit or a pair of overalls-- if should be skin tight, like a second skin. If you like I can help you fasten the back. As Isabella spoke she mimed pulling on a pair of overalls-- one leg, then the other, then pulling the garment up. She lead Eva over to the folding screen where I had changed into my armor.

Fortunately for Eva, all of the attention was on me as Lukas used me as a teddy bear. Odessa was laughing and trying to make it a group hug.

~~~

Nova nodded as she got Genesis's message, and she tracked the boy's movements through the halls. Those she did encounter gave her odd looks because of the cape and the way she was moving, but they did not hinder her.

Nova finally stopped at a door which still had traces of heat according to her scanners. She stepped through the door and into the icy chamber. Nova didn't notice the cold much-- the cloak trapped the heat in her joints very well, though it did feel good on her face and hair sensors.

She then heard a scream.

She hurried off in that direction, and it wasn't long before she found where Chris has collapsed in front of the woman in the chamber, with the mechanical eye in her forehead flaring with blue light. Nova looked down to Chris and held out her arm, offering to shield him from the cold with her long cloak.

((She is taller them him... tall enough that he could hide in the cloak around her and not be seen by anyone passing by.))

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
"RPC" *Roleplay Central*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games