Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:42 pm
I don't know about Torchwood--people I know who have seen it & like Doctor Who often seem to dislike Torchwood. What little I've heard about it hasn't generated any interest in me to see it.

Gridlock was on Sci Fi this last Friday. heart Man how I love that episode!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:40 pm
I finally saw the Torchwood premiere the other day.

It wasn't bad. I hear a lot of griping about how all the main characters are bisexual. Personally, I think it's a good idea to have a sort of sexual valve for the Doctor Who writers.

That way, maybe Dr. Who itself will downplay the kinkier side of time travel and aliens and dump all that stuff into Torchwood. That'll leave the core series itself with a more high adventure feel.

Unfortunately, the fourth season has.... ARRRRRGH! Katherine Tate* as Donna Noble! I didn't like this character at all. I didn't really like the actress' sketch comedy that much and I sure as hell hated that Bride episode. It wasn't like Dr. Who at all. It was like a catch-phrase driven Power Rangers knock-off.

Eh... maybe Eccleston, Piper, Tennant and Freema just hiked my standards too high.

I mean, anyone ever see the Hartnell episode with the butterfly men? HAHAHA....

Or even some of the more choice moments from the Tom Baker years? Like Magnus Greel giving his machine some lovin' in "The Talons of Weng Chiang?" Or the bit from stone of blood where the guy can't cap his own druidic altar? Or the bit in "planet of the Daleks" when the Dalek leading the Doctor out of the elevator whacks its eyepiece on the wooden door with an audible "thunk" that even shakes the plywood set?!?

Ah.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I can't breathe)
Oh man. I love this show...
but we don't need another Peri.

Oh well.
What I really want to check out is the Sarah Jane adventures.

*In fact having seen an ep of her comedy routine, I'm pretty sure she's a member of the Illumnati. Or the Templars. Or the Mason. Or whoever your sinister secret society of choice happens to be.  

Harbone
Crew

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:57 am
The new series has started:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/

The first episode was fine… I guess… but Catherine Tate still grates on me, bigtime. evil I'm not sure if that's why I felt a bit disengaged while I was watching it. Only time will tell… rolleyes

The premise of the story was good, I just felt the "action" was a bit drawn-out and rather wooden… but that may been the Catherine Tate Effect. stare It seemed to last much longer than 48 minutes… and not in a good way.

There were some very nice touches, though, and I can only hope it gets better, as the series goes on.

Oh, and we had a fleeting glimpse of Rose… which I don't really understand, and I'm not sure I like. confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:34 am
I'm impatiently waiting for Series 4 to start here in the states on Sci-Fi (premiere date - April 18 at 8:30 p.m. ET). I did see the "Voyage of the Damned" (through the help of friends) and liked it a lot.

Not sure about Catherine Tate yet. Not really seeing her on anything else may help her here in the states, after hearing what our UK friends have said about her show, etc.

I can't say that I'm happy about even a glimpse of Rose back in DW, though. I think it's a mistake for her to come back in any shape, form or fashion. Sort of a step backward. But I could be wrong. Will have to see.  

Rhiannon2006

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm
Rose coming back would be so wrong, on so many levels… The ending of Series 2 was fantastic, and if they produce Rose, like a rabbit out of a hat, the whole thing will be blown to smithereens. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:48 am
Believe it or not, the Donna character has been toned down since "The Runaway Bride". I really didn't like her then, but she's not bad now. With any luck, we'll have an end to the "companion loves Doctor" thing, but given how many times they deny having anything to do with each other (at *least* once per episode), I won't hold my breath...

DW  

Warnersister

Alleira

Aged Citizen

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:31 pm
lol I agree, Donna has been toned down, but even so… stressed scream  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Well, thanks to YOUTUBE I got to see Partners in Crime and give it a bit of a shakedown.

Eh... Thank GOD they toned down Donna Noble. But you can really feel the gears grinding, especially in that long exchange with her telescope-loving grandpa (to be honest, I wanted to see Donna's Gramps become a companion. Maybe he'll show up again.)

I really, really liked Billy Piper's Rose character, but I do not want to see her come back. Authors bending to that kind of fan wank really hurt fans like me on a deep level. I'm hoping it's a foolish move by Rose that's endangering the universe or an evil plot by the Daleks* or something.

*We-have-extract-ed the Rose-DNA-from-the-Dalek-shell. She-will-be-our-most-vi-tal tool in-the-FORCE-i-bile RE-Daction-of-these-blood-DY fan-Fiiiiics!

SEEK! DELETE! EXTERMINATE!
SEEK! DELETE! EXTERMINATE!  

Harbone
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:47 pm
I saw a commercial for Doctor Who on Sci Fi Channel a couple of days ago. Starts here tomorrow, doesn't it? And I saw an ad for the Sarah Jane Adventures also, back-to-back with DW I think. I didn't know we were getting that one. Is it any good? I never hear any talk about that series.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm
A friend of mine Ti-Vo'ed it for me, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch it, just yet. He'll probably accidentally tape over it before I get a chance.

It SOUNDS neat. I rather hope it'll be like old-time Dr. Who, more kiddie-oriented, but with lots of fun alien monster stuff.

If I get a chance to watch it, I will.

Heck, it can't be worse than K-9 & COMPANY, can it?  

Harbone
Crew

September Wolf

Wintry Dragon

21,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 am
I'm in the UK and just loving the new series of Dr Who, although that is partly because David Tennant can do no wrong in my book.
Am I the only geezer who actually rather likes Donna Noble - I think she is really funny, and it is good for the Dr to have a slightly older companion, rather than another wide-eyed teen. She made me laugh out loud with her line 'why do you call me miss - do I look single?'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 pm
Sorry to make you feel isolated, September Wolf, I'm sure others share your opinion.

Actually, having seen Planet of the Ood, I'm glad I gave the Donna Noble character a chance. I do not like Katherine Tate much, but at least they seem to be steadily avoiding romantic entanglements...

At least, I hope they are. Sometimes, lonely fans can take that stuff the wrong way. It's nice to have someone who's simply excited about time travel and not so much about the Doctor along for the ride.

I just... sometimes bits of the Tate slip out and I flinch, that's all. I really hated what I saw of her comedy and that Runaway Bride episode! Ouch!

But, like I said, Planet of the Ood was good.

Oh, and on an entirely positive note, I'm rather fond of the new Sarah Jane Adventures. In a way, Sarah Jane's relationship with her junior companions nicely reflects the Doctor's own relationships with his human companions. She's got to look after them, but sometimes they suprise her while the kiddies seem to know, deep down, that they're needed and a rather vital part of the action. Well done, that. Very enjoyable.  

Harbone
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:33 pm
I liked what I saw of Sarah Jane. I'm glad SciFi picked it up.
It's a good sign that the DW properties are good ratings if SciFi got all three shows. I don't think those people know beans about SF or care about it either, since the idiots have put junk like SOAPS and WRESTLING on there in the past! Obviously, ratings are all they really care about. rolleyes
I think they've noticed how popular the shows are as illegal downloads & on YouTube right after airing...and that's why they got it so fast this year. Maybe this will boost the ratings even higher!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:39 pm
Let's hope so. I tend to buy everything on DVD and I'm looking forward to buying the Sarah Jane Adentures... when I can.

I saw Eye of the Gorgon and that was a great episode. Clyde, who you won't have been introduced to yet, Eirwyn, is quickly becoming my favorite... er... favourite character.  

Harbone
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:50 pm
Well, I saw a lot of the first episode, but not all--& I don't have the names down yet.

Hey, this is the 30,000th post here! xd

Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games