Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
Study Area Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 pm
User Image
                                                  I woke up, it was 7
                                                  I waited 'til 11
                                                  Just to figure out that no one would call.
                                                  I think I've got a lot of friends but I don't hear from them
                                                  What's another night all alone?
                                                  When you're spending everyday on your own.

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ || Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rhys held up a hand as Gid started explaining about apparently an incident involving an older student and Gid's transfiguration skills. Apparently he hadn't been that great, and had scarred an older student. while doing so. He could only imagine the issues that Gid had with that one. "Okay, was your wandwork accurate? How about your will? And what about your verbal component? Those I think would be more the variables that you'd have to look at instead of worrying about whether or not you are able to transfigure anything. Which, umm, we can't exactly do in here. I'd say we'd have to go to an empty classroom to practice in before we get in trouble for casting magic in the halls." He snickered softly as Gid described Transfiguration as a horrible endeavour. Well, if someone unwilling to cast magic on animals was practicing, then yeah, it was horrible. Otherwise they wouldn't have the same issues. "Actually, if done right, the spells don't do any damage to them, and can be undone quite easily. So, it's more a case of intent by the spell caster. I guess that's the best way to put it?"

════════════════════════

Thinking: Ugh, I am getting worked up over some really stupid reasons...
                                                  OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And maybe when the night is dead,
                                                  I'll crawl into my bed
                                                  I'm staring at these 4 walls again.
                                                  I'll try to think about the last time
                                                  I had a good time
                                                  Everyone's got somewhere to go
                                                  And they're gonna leave me here on my own.

Miss GryffindorK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 am
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor First Year Eleven Years OldSingle

Fianna smiled and replied, "I did ... okay, I guess. At least the teacher said it wasn't a bad attempt. I feel so sorry for the poor rat, I hope Professor Drage is doing something to help it. I need to do better, though. Selina's been having to tutor Hannah in Transfigurations all term, on top of preparing for OWLs. She's already so busy, I don't want Da asking her to help me too."

scurd

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:36 pm
User ImageUser Image
Ƭнιя∂ Ƴєαя Ɠяуƒƒιη∂σя Ƈнαѕєя

Gid looked at Rhys, wondering if the boy was upset, or if perhaps Rhys thought Gid was beyond help. When he spoke, Gid listened attentively. At the questions about wandwork and will, the brunette looked a little flustered. Honestly, it was probably that. In any other class, Gid could do magic really well. Maybe it was just transfiguration, then. "Well, it might be that. My wand skills are usually good, though. It might be the will. It's a creepy class, after all." He shrugged, then gave a small grin when Rhys laughed. Was it funny? Gid's thoughts on the subject were pretty brazen, but if it needed to be said, he'd say it. "Probably, I mean, if it was a class for loonies, they probably wouldn't teach a bunch of kids. So maybe it's just me that can't get the mental hold on it? I mean, it's just weird!" He sighed, then thunked his head onto his book. "I still haven't gotten the hang of the match and needle spell. Not all the way, anyway. How am I going to pass the class?"

Dᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴀ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ωнαт'ѕ ιηѕι∂є ιт
Dᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴘᴜsʜ ᴍᴇ, ǀ'ℓℓ ƒιgнт ιт
Ɲєνєя gσηηα gινє ιη, ηєνєя gσηηα gινє ιт υρ, ɴᴏ
Iғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴀ ᴡᴀᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʀɪᴅᴇ ɪᴛ
Yᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴜɴɪɴᴠɪᴛᴇᴅ Ɲєνєя gσηηα gινє ιη,
Ɲєνєя gσηηα gινє ιт υρ
, ɴᴏ.

Ƴσυ cαη'т тαкє мє, ǀ'м ƒяєє

Diamond Wales

{OoC}

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:12 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxUnder a Mountain of Books
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxZeph, soon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx» ғeelιng «xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFocused
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

α f я α ι ∂ тσ ℓσѕє ¢ σ и т я σ ℓ αи∂ ¢ α υ g н т υρ ιи тнιѕ ω σ я ℓ ∂ xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ι'νє ωαѕтє∂ т ι м є, ι'νє ωαѕтє∂ в я є α т н, ι тнιик ι'νє т н σ υ g н т муѕєℓf тσ ∂ є α т н xxxxxxxxx
                                                          ι ωαѕ в σ я и ωιтнσυт тнιѕ f є α я, иσω σ и ℓ у тнιѕ ѕєємѕ ¢ ℓ є α я xxxxxx
                                                          ι иєє∂ тσ м σ ν є, ι иєє∂ тσ f ι g н т, ι иєє∂ тσ ℓ σ ѕ є муѕєℓf т σ и ι g н т xxx

════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceLori had gone through the entire library, save the restricted section, to scour the shelves for anything that looked like it might be even remotely helpful regarding Zeph's issues. She'd admit, she wasn't all that well versed in dyslexia to start with, and the lack of access to muggle writings on the subject was going to make things difficult. But she was hoping she could find something. If not a spell or potion that already existed to help, perhaps a starting point to find a combination that would. Honestly, she'd been considering how possible it would be to do research and actually invent a spell, but she knew that was unrealistic. There were people who, that was all they did, as their actual job, and she imagined it was quite difficult. Given how much time it'd taken to even figure out the basics of how magic worked (something which she still only had a marginal understanding of), she didn't hold out much hope that she could ever accomplish such a task. Trying to do so before the exams in the Spring was ridiculous.

spaceShe sighed in aggravation, glancing up from the book she was currently skimming to see if Zeph was anywhere in sight. Half of her expected him to not show up; he seemed to have a lot of anxiety connected to studying, she wouldn't blame him if he bailed. But, it wouldn't help him in the least to do so. And she did want to try and break him of this 'I can't' mentality since that was probably holding him back just as much as his disability, if not more so. It was hard to actually try when you'd convinced yourself a task was impossible. When you accepted failure, you ensured it. That was what Lindsay always said. And as much as she hated the man, especially right now, she wasn't too stubborn to admit when he was right. Another quote, one that she had read in a book and didn't associate with him, was actually written in the front of every single one of her textbooks. "Success is most often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable." She used the words as a mantra, and tried to never allow herself to see the impossibility of a task. She was, perhaps, more realistic about things than some, but if there was even a slight chance of success, she would insist failure was impossible. It'd helped her so far, and she hoped she could give a bit of that mindset to Zeph so that he could do better as well.

╚════════════════════════════════════════════

xxx ¢σиfυѕє∂ ωнαт ι т н σ υ g н т ωιтн ѕσмєтнιиg ι f є ℓ т
                                                          xxxxxx ¢σиfυѕє ωнαт ι f є є ℓ ωιтн ѕσмєтнιиg тнαт'ѕ я є α ℓ
                                                          xxxxxxxxx ι тяιє∂ тσ ѕ є ℓ ℓ му ѕ σ υ ℓ ℓαѕт и ι g н т
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxx f υ и и у, нє ωσυℓ∂и'т єνєи т α к є α в ι т є

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx
                                                          speak now

Diamond Wales

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:25 pm
User Image
                                                  Take all of your wasted honor
                                                  Every little past frustration
                                                  Take all of your so-called problems,
                                                  Better put 'em in quotations

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

ℱ𝒾𝒻𝓉𝒽 𝒴𝑒𝒶𝓇 || ℋ𝓊𝒻𝒻𝓁𝑒𝓅𝓊𝒻𝒻 𝒫𝓇𝑒𝒻𝑒𝒸𝓉 || ℬ𝑒𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇

════════════════════════

Zeph trudged to the library, one of the few places in the castle he rarely visited. Granted, that was because he rarely read when he wasn't studying, but honestly, if he could find someone that would blame him, he'd like to meet him. Heck, he didn't think that Lionel or Levi even had an inkling that something was wrong, and he'd never told his siblings. His father didn't know, and considering how much they read... He sighed, rubbing the back of his head as he looked around the library. He was almost about to call this an act of futility, but he didn't think he'd hear the end of it if he did just give in to the inevitable and do his usual scrambling for exams. However, this wasn't regular exams. This was something that could determine his future, and he was pretty much screwed if he wanted to be a healer.

Entering the library, he nodded to the librarian before he started looking for Lori. She said she'd be up here, and while he might be a bit late (he took the long way), he wasn't too late. At least he hoped not. However, he spied her off at a table and made his way over, rubbing the back of his head as he sat down. This could go one of two ways, he reasoned. Either he was going to be told he was an idiot and needed to learn to read (he absolutely hated those types because he did know how to read, he just took way too long doing it), or she was going to apologize and say that she couldn't help. Which, he really hoped for the latter and not the former. He doubted she was as bad as some other people he could think of.
                                                  "Hey. Sorry I'm late, I got caught on a staircase. So, umm, what are we going to do?" If the advice was going to be sticking his nose in a book, he was probably not going to respond well.

════════════════════════

Thinking: Studying... My mortal enemy....
                                                  OOC:
                                                  Snow

Even if your hands are shaking
                                                  And your faith is broken
                                                  Even as the eyes are closing
                                                  Do it with a heart wide open

Cara MiaKitty

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxZeph, soon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFocused

α f я α ι ∂ тσ ℓσѕє ¢ σ и т я σ ℓ αи∂ ¢ α υ g н т υρ ιи тнιѕ ω σ я ℓ ∂ xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ι'νє ωαѕтє∂ т ι м є, ι'νє ωαѕтє∂ в я є α т н, ι тнιик ι'νє т н σ υ g н т муѕєℓf тσ ∂ є α т н xxxxxxxxx
                                                          ι иєє∂ тσ м σ ν є, ι иєє∂ тσ f ι g н т, ι иєє∂ тσ ℓ σ ѕ є муѕєℓf т σ и ι g н т xxx

spaceLori frowned slightly when Zeph approached and told her why he was late. "Those staircases are a menace," she scoffed. "It's a good thing that wizarding society's legal structure is nothing like the muggle world's. The school would've been sued to hell and back ages ago." She gestured to the seat next to her, looking back at the book she'd had her head buried in, then sighed, setting it down. Nothing useful in there, at least not as far as she could tell. She'd probably regret not being more thorough later, but for now she was agitated. Besides, Zeph was here, which meant that the time for researching needed to be put on hold, in favor of fact-finding. She needed to know more about his specific issues before she could really help him, after all.

spaceShe regarded him carefully. Obviously, she had to be delicate about this. Careful with her approach. But she also needed to get all the cards on the table. She couldn't help if she was missing key information, after all. And anyway, obviously no good came of her keeping it under wraps that she knew things about her friends that they hadn't explicitly told her yet. She'd already learned that lesson, hard, with Trist and his lycanthropy. She chewed her lip a moment, then decided the best way to go about this was to ask him questions, as opposed to informing him of her observations. Better to let him have some measure of control over the conversation. Right? "Zeph, your issues with reading... have you been diagnosed with anything?" She was rather hoping he had, and that it was exactly what she suspected he had. From his previous comments, she couldn't think of anything else, but that might just be because she was uninformed. If he had been diagnosed with something, and she was unfamiliar with it, she could always write to either her stepfather or her brother for books on the subject... Probably Emerson. Leslie would ask questions, and he was friends with Zeph's cousins. She didn't want too many people knowing what was going on, since clearly Zeph was uncomfortable with people knowing.

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx
                                                          speak now

Diamond Wales

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 pm
User ImageUser Image

Fσυятн Yεαя Gячғғıпɔσя

Gid was in the library, accepting the peace and quiet of the room. He thumbed through his law textbook, humming quietly as he wrote out notes. Law was one of his favorite classes,mostly because he knew he wanted to follow his father's footsteps and become a lawyer. He turned a page and sighed, wishing one of his friends were there to keep him company. Even in the quiet library where they couldn't talk much... it'd be nice just having someone else there.

I ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴏғᴛᴇɴ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍᴇᴅ ᴏғ ᴀ ғᴀʀ ᴏғғ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ
Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀ ʜᴇʀᴏ's ᴡᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴍᴇ
Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʀᴏᴡᴅs ᴡɪʟʟ ᴄʜᴇᴇʀ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴇᴇ ᴍʏ ғᴀᴄᴇ
Aɴᴅ ᴀ ᴠᴏɪᴄᴇ ᴋᴇᴇᴘs sᴀʏɪɴɢ, ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ I'ᴍ ᴍᴇᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ
I'ʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ sᴏᴍᴇᴅᴀʏ, I ᴄᴀɴ ɢᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅɪsᴛᴀɴᴄᴇ
I ᴡɪʟʟ ғɪɴᴅ ᴍʏ ᴡᴀʏ ɪғ I ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ sᴛʀᴏɴɢ
I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴍɪʟᴇ, ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴍʏ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ

Wнεп I ɢσ тнε ɔıƨтαпcε, I'ʟʟ вε яıɢнт шнεяε I вεʟσпɢ
Diamond Wales

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Zeph blinked as Lori stated the moving staircases were a lawsuit waiting to happen. He didn't think they were all that bad. He could think of worse things that the school could be sued for. Most of them were regarding dark wizards, curses, murders, and so on. Then again, he was a pureblood, and therefore had a bit of a different viewpoint on the whole thing. He certainly couldn't quite relate to his. "Umm, okay. I didn't realize there was a big difference. Not that I know how wizard law is either. I just know that some of my relatives studied it."

He sat down in the seat next to Lori and frowned at the books she had surrounded herself with, wincing. He could read some of the titles no problem, and the others? Well, there was a reason that he just absolutely hated reading. He crossed his arms, thinking when she asked if he had ever been diagnosed with anything. What, not reading was a disease? It wasn't anything he'd ever heard about. "I don't know about you, but there's no disease I've ever heard of where not reading or having issues with reading was a symptom. Maybe it's a disease in the muggle world, but not something in the magical."

════════════════════════

OOC:
                                                  Snow

And your faith is broken

Cara MiaKitty

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:01 pm
User Image
                                                    I know I took the path that you would never want for me
                                                    I know I let you down, didn't I?
                                                    So many sleepless nights where you were waiting up on me
                                                    Well I'm just a slave unto the night.

User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════

Fᴏᴜʀᴛʜ Yᴇᴀʀ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Vɪᴄᴇ Cᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ || Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rhys had to admit, the conversation with his biological family had gotten him all out of sorts. He hadn't even been studying as much as he usually did, which he knew was bound to affect his grades in classes. He hated that he couldn't even read a sentence in a textbook without thinking of the fact that something in the textbook would make him wonder about how they would use a spell, or react in a situation. He was almost certain that right now, he was probably the charity case in the family. Oh look, poor Rhys lost his family when he was four, let's just give him something he didn't know existed. Sighing, he entered the library, noticing Gid in the study area and making a beeline for him. He could distract himself over there. At least he figured he could. Distract himself enough to study, in any case.

Setting down his books next to his friend, he glanced around for Jazzy before he sighed silently in relief. Jazzy was nowhere near the library it looked like, which meant that he could safely be around Gid without the girl being offended or deciding to keep Gid away from him. Which honestly was like a stab to the heart. However, the generally silent teen was glad that for at least a little bit, he actually had his best friend, and decided to ignore the fact that Jazzy existed for right now.
                                                    "Hey Gid. having fun with Law?"

A slight smile lit his face, and he just busied himself with his schoolbooks. Taking out his Healing notes (why did the professor in that class hate him so much anyway?), he hesitated, then took out his mother's picture and propped it upright against his books. He felt guilty about doing it, since it made it seem like he was betraying his adopted family. However, he couldn't deny the fact that he hadn't realized how much he had missed her, missed knowing something about her even if it was just how she looked, and he couldn't just shut her away in an album. The picture in question simply smiled and waved at him, completely oblivious to the fact that for once, Rhys wished that he could go back in time and save her from the fire that claimed her life.

════════════════════════

Thinking: I'm getting my head too twisted around, aren't I?
                                                    OOC:

Don't tell me that I'm wrong
                                                    I've walked that road before
                                                    And left you on your own
                                                    And please believe them when they say
                                                    That it's left for yesterday
                                                    And the records that I've played
                                                    Please forgive me for all I've done.

Miss GryffindorK

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:23 pm
User ImageUser Image

Fσυятн Yεαя Gячғғıпɔσя

Gid was staring intently at the words on his page, not even noticing the other teen that entered. When Rhys sat beside him, the brunette looked up, a bit confused, until his gaze rested on his friend. "Oh! Hey Rhys. Uh, yea, Law's a fun subject. How've you been today? Seem stressed..." He lifted an eyebrow, but he matched Rhys' little grin. Perhaps it wasn't stress on the boy's mind, then. Usually when Rhys was upset, Gid knew and could try to help... but he was hard to read today. When the white haired teen took out a picture and leaned it against his books, Gid looked nervous. Should he ask, or play it safe? Was there a safe? Did Rhys want him to ask? He'd have to play by ear... here went nothing. "S-she's pretty. Who's that?" The brunette set his book down, brown eyes looking with curiosity between the picture and Rhys.

Diamond Wales

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:24 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxZeph, soon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFocused

spaceLori had to fight rather hard not to scoff at his answer; 'not something in the magical,' as if people in the magical world were somehow utterly immune from the illnesses of muggles. Ridiculous. The arrogance of wizards never failed to astound her. She kept her face as neutral as possible, but some of her agitation was still evident. "Not a disease," she replied, wishing her voice didn't sound so shrew-like. "Diseases come from outside sources, bacteria and viruses. Things like this, they're usually genetic, or the result of something that happened while you were in utero, or your developmental years in childhood." She frowned at him, fighting off her default response, which was irritation and anger. It wasn't his fault, he wasn't necessarily arrogant. More like misinformed, because of the arrogance of the culture he'd grown up in. She didn't need to take out her aggravation with wizarding society as a whole on him. Besides, she was supposed to be helping him, she couldn't do that if he got pissed because she was attacking him over something that wasn't his fault.

space"From what I've observed," she continued, sounding calmer now, "wizarding medicine isn't great at dealing with issues that don't stem from either common muggle ails, like a cold, or anything that's related to the brain. I haven't noticed much in the way of research regarding things like depression or bipolar, or any other mental illnesses. I was hoping that perhaps your situation would defy the norm. If someone had paid attention to your issues, and cared to look into them at all, they might have seen that you show signs of a learning disability." She paused, not really sure how to continue. She didn't want to say something that might offend him, or cause him to think she was insulting him or saying something was wrong with him. It wasn't as though she wasn't accustomed to being judged for being 'broken' because her brain didn't function the way most people's did; her logical nature was partially a learned trait from her father, but she'd had the inclination to think that way from as far back as it could've been noticed. She had difficulty understanding people, difficulty reading emotions, and difficulty with any situation that couldn't be subjected to a strict scientific test. She'd had a lot of problems in her life because of all that, she didn't want to do to Zeph what'd been done to her.

spaceShe ran a hand through her hair, trying to focus her thoughts and frame this in a way that wouldn't offend him. But given that she had no idea how people's brains even worked most of the time, she had no idea what that meant. "If I had to guess, I'd say you have dyslexia, which is a disability that causes difficulty with a lot of things. The most well-known symptom is difficulty reading. I admit that my knowledge on the subject is limited enough that you could have something else, and I just defaulted to that because it's the most well-known disability associated with it. But, it would be easy enough for me to do research if I had more information regarding the specifics. If you can give them, of course." She frowned; she wasn't doing so well at asking questions, was she? But she didn't even really know what to ask, because she didn't know what answers he could give. He'd always had trouble, so he wouldn't really know what was unusual and what was normal. "Can you explain what it's like when you read? Why it's difficult?" Step one was going to be diagnosing him. Which was awful, since she wasn't a doctor by any means and therefore not qualified to do so. But she was the best he was going to get, apparently, so hopefully her big brain would do well enough. God knows it was useless for most every other problem she seemed to run into.

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx
                                                          speak now

Diamond Wales

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Zeph frowned as Lori went on to state that it wasn't a disease that she thought he had, instead a disorder. He stared at her, confused, while she was stating that no one had paid attention to his issues. Which was wrong, his mother had. His father hadn't noticed, but that was because Zeph learned to read before he moved in with the Whitethornes. Granted, he was never as fast as his sisters or the elder Whitethornes, but he could still read. Crossing his arms, he shook his head. "No, my mum, she used to help me with reading before she died. It's probably why I can read at all, even if it's at a sloth's pace. My dad never noticed, though, mostly because he's usually busy with work when I'm home for the holidays."

When she mentioned a disability, he frowned. Dys-what? His brow still furrowed, he listened to her say it could be something else, but difficulty reading was a common trait. When she mentioned doing research, he pulled a face. Well, he was glad that she was willing to do the research. He'd be shite at it, and that was no lie. He probably did the bare bones of research to get by, and that was it. Which royally sucked as he wanted to do a lot better, but couldn't. His best grades were probably an Exceeds Expectations in classes that didn't require a ton of reading, and those that did, he barely scraped by with Acceptables. Swallowing, he considered it carefully when she asked what it was like for him to read. "Everything just jumps around. I know letters shouldn't do that, but they do. I also can't tell the difference between a lot of letters, because... They spin, I guess? I just know the longer I look at them, the more they do it." Thinking, he shook his head and went to grab a quill and parchment. "I also can't really spell that well either. I mean, my handwriting's neat, but I just can't seem to spell them right. That's kind of why I never share my notes during class, since if I can barely read them, I don't want to think about how much trouble everyone else is going to have."

Deciding to demonstrate, he just wrote out a few sentences, cringing and hesitating while he was writing. At the end of it, he nearly threw his quill across the table, but handed the parchment over to Lori and started fidgeting. Okay, he was probably going to be labelled as dumb now, which didn't help his case, but that was the best way he could figure to illustrate his problem.

Zeph
                                                  Thiss is haw I yusully rite. Gow ahed and laf naw. It loks stopid, dosent it?

════════════════════════

OOC:
                                                  Snow

And your faith is broken

Cara MiaKitty

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
User Image
                                                    I know I took the path that you would never want for me
                                                    I know I let you down, didn't I?
                                                    So many sleepless nights where you were waiting up on me
                                                    Well I'm just a slave unto the night.

User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════

Fᴏᴜʀᴛʜ Yᴇᴀʀ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Vɪᴄᴇ Cᴀᴘᴛᴀɪɴ || Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rhys shook his head when Gid asked if he'd been stressed lately, then amended it with a nod and then a shrug. He wasn't sure. All the mess with his family was confusing, and he was having to do research into family law and how inheritance worked. Which was a pain in his arse considering his already substantial courseload. "I'm not sure. I think I'm going to have to do research into law. Well, more than class has, anyway. If you wanted to, you could help, I guess."

He looked over at Gid and then back at the picture, biting his lip as he considered how to answer that. It was definitely making him feel like it was a dirty secret, and he wanted to say something about it, but he didn't want to make it seem like he didn't care about the Blakes. On the contrary, he loved his adopted family, even the Lowery branch. It was just made more confusing with the Linwoods thrown in for good measure. "I's my mum. My real mum, I mean. She died a long time ago." Which was another point of guilt for him. He'd nearly forgotten her, and he didn't think he ever wanted to. He'd just been too young to remember much beyond the fire, and even that was a vague, foggy memory at that. His own father he didn't have anything to remember him by.

════════════════════════

Thinking: I'm getting my head too twisted around, aren't I?
                                                    OOC:

Don't tell me that I'm wrong
                                                    I've walked that road before
                                                    And left you on your own
                                                    And please believe them when they say
                                                    That it's left for yesterday
                                                    And the records that I've played
                                                    Please forgive me for all I've done.

Miss GryffindorK

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:24 am
User Image

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx» wнere «xx
xxxxxxxx» wιтн «xx
xxxxxxxxxZeph, soon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFocused

spaceLori realized she might've hit a nerve with her comment, and that he hadn't quite understood what she'd meant. It wasn't as though she'd thought literally no one paid any attention whatsoever, after all. And she certainly hadn't meant to insult his mother. "I didn't mean that no one had tried to help you at all," she said softly, thinking that maybe her helping him with this was a bad idea. She had no way of knowing if something she was going to say would offend him, after all. "I just meant that, it it had been looked at beyond 'he has trouble reading'..." She stopped suddenly, then sighed, shaking her head. "Never mind, it doesn't really matter." There wasn't really anyway to phrase this without implying that his mother had neglected him somehow. She didn't think it was a matter of neglect, not really, but she couldn't think of a way to phrase it that didn't come off that way. Or, rather, the only way she could seemed to insult his mother's intelligence, which she certainly didn't want to do, since obviously she'd already offended him once.

spaceShe allowed his description of his specific problems to distract her from overthinking that particular issue, and found herself thanking the universe that he actually was able to put it into words, and such specific ones. She'd worried that, because he'd likely always suffered from this issue (more than likely, from what he'd told her it was a definite), he wouldn't have a way to frame it, not having ever known any differently. "That actually sounds exactly like what I've read about dyslexia," she said, voice slightly relieved. Maybe it seemed odd, but this meant that she wasn't quite starting at square one. She had some knowledge, limited though it might be, and books in her trunk that she hadn't quite gotten to yet with more information. She also hadn't wanted to bias herself, in case his symptoms didn't match up quite right. Fitting a square peg into a round hole in regards to naming his problem wouldn't help him, after all.

spaceWhen he handed her the note, she looked it over, and her shoulders slumped ever so slightly. Did he really think she'd laugh at him? She must not've made a particularly good impression on the boy if he did, which was a bit depressing. She hadn't thought she'd ever come off as being that sort of person, after all. "I don't think your writing is quite as bad as you think it is," she said, gently as she possibly could. "Or, rather, I had no trouble reading it. I'm more concerned with the fact that you have difficulty reading them yourself than anything else... perhaps you could invest in a self-writing quill for lessons? That wouldn't help so much with the reading them later, I suppose, but it would remove the margin of error for your spelling, and you wouldn't struggle with speed. Everything would be recorded and correct, so it would still take a while to review the notes, but you'd at least have them." Her expression turned thoughtful, and she glanced at him. She had read something about certain fonts being designed specifically to be easier for people with problems like those he'd described to read... Not that it would be much helpful here, since there were no computers. Unless there was a spell that could alter typography for the reader, which she highly doubted.

spaceShe chewed her lip and leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. Her brow wrinkled, and she drifted deep into thought for a moment, processing the information and filing it away for later. Then she looked back to him, head tilting to the side. "Do you have trouble retaining information that you've heard? Lectures in class, details from conversations? If you got a self-writing quill to take your notes, you could focus your attention on what's actually being said rather than trying to write it down. Your focus wouldn't be divided and you might find it easier to remember most of it without needing the notes at all..." She trailed off, thinking she probably should've waited for him to answer. After all, if his memory wasn't great, the entire point was moot. But, she'd already gone on her little tangent, so she might as well finish it, she supposed. "It would also provide a better structure for studying, so long as you had a partner. Less reading, more discussing? I-" She cut off suddenly; after all this, she'd bet he didn't want to study with her, actually. She was being nosy and offensive, and it wasn't like he didn't have plenty of friends. "Or, uh. Someone, could read aloud to you rather than your having to struggle with reading it, and you could talk through the material. Question/answer sessions or something of that nature."

User Image

xx» «xx
                                                          xx» oυт oғ cнaracтer «xx
                                                          speak now

Diamond Wales

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:33 am
User ImageUser Image

Fσυятн Yεαя Gячғғıпɔσя

Gid watched as Rhys both said he was and wasn't stressed. It was understandable that he would be, given his massive workload. Maybe after OWLs Rhys would drop a few classes. When he mentioned researching law, the brunette perked up quite a bit. More than the class level of law study?! Ooooh! "I could help. I will help. Not only for the law stuff, but because I can add it to my resume, I'm sure. I mean, I need a good background if I'm gonna be a lawyer." He grinned brightly, stars in his eyes. He was so excited to follow in his father's footsteps that it showed whenever he spoke of law. After he managed to coax himself onto the topic of the picture, Rhys looked sadly at it. That sad look brought down Gid's mood several notches, making him regret asking. When he confessed that it was his birth mother, Gid looked shocked. He did look a lot like her, though. "I-I'm really sorry, Rhys. Both for your loss and for bringing up the topic. I should've kept mum... er... quiet... not mum... but also it works so... uhm..." The boy looked flustered, blushing brightly. He'd probably gone and upset his best friend, oh, this wouldn't be good! What if Rhys went to hide?!

Diamond Wales

The Library

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items