Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 pm
Well, I'm not suprised it had to be reworked. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Eccleston only did one season to begin with because he didn't want to become known as the Doctor. He's one of those "give me a new role, pronto" type character actors. Can't blame him, really.

I notice they dressed the clone like him, though.

As for the losing all the memories schtick, that is one hundred percent You Can't Win (anything you gain that varies the status quo MUST be removed somehow by the end of the story.) What makes it suck is they tried to add pathos to it... and it didn't stick.

But Daleks in German, yeah, that was worth it. I liked the six guys at a console thing, too, but it was corny as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:56 pm
User ImageYou must be mad...
I agree with you. What is stupid is that Eccleston already lost a movie deal (or so I"ve been told, I didn't confirm that one) because of being the Doctor. You'd think that if the worst has already happened, then there's no point in turning down the work you CAN get... but whatever.
...or you wouldn't have come here.User Image

Velouria Dragoon

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:13 pm
Good lord! He lost a movie deal over the part!

I sympathize with him fully, then. I mean, he probably took the role in the first place because he thought it would be a challenge revitalizing a nearly-dead series.

Then, when he tries to get on with his career after ONE DAMN SEASON, they're slamming doors in his face? Hell, I wouldn't touch the show again!

I mean, actors like taking on different roles. It's gotta suck to be stuck as "The Doctor" or "Wesley" or "Blade" or whoever the public wants you to be all the time. Most people act because the don't like being one person all the time. The poor b*****d. He really has my sympathy, now.

Lost a movie deal? That is just... cussworthy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:48 am
The reason he only did one season is because he didn't want that to happen, guess he might as well have had fun with it. I don't think it will hurt his career in the long run. Heck I didn't even confirm the lost movie deal thing. Still, its kinda strange to think that it would happen after only one season. Especially since Tennant's Doctor is so well received.

Velouria Dragoon

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:11 pm
Actually, I checked and it looks like Eccleston is doing okay. Besides a small role on HEROES (a show I don't watch, sorry) he's got a good role in THE DARK IS RISING. He gets to be the vilain (He plays a great villain!)

Woot!

He's also doing a thing about post-Katrina New Orleans, which I'll have to reasearch some. New Orleans Mon Amour, I think.

I'm so releived.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:33 pm
For the sake of my own two cents worth, I always like the old Tom Baker episodes. I've seen pretty much all of the old stuff but haven't watched any of the new series.  

oOo_Nightowl_oOo

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:33 am
The new stuff is good. If you haven't seen any of the new stuff, I'd recommend starting from the beginning of it, though. Eccleston made a great Doctor, it was sad to see him go.

Oh and by the way, I saw Eccleston on Heroes. It was a good but small part and not at all the same thing as a movie deal for sure! I don't see why he couldn't have done a bit in Doctor who just for that one episode. It just wasn't the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:09 pm
I've seen the finale too.
scream scream scream scream scream
That really ticked me off!

All that crazy shark-jumping all through the final episode, and they have the gall to suddenly inflict realistic consequences on Donna?? scream The kids in the DW guild are like, "Oh, but she got awesome on her own, so she'll just do it again". Yes, she did, but she'd been stuck living down to her mother's low expectations and fighting her nagging for maybe 40+ years. It was because someone outside that circle gave her a good shock, made her look at the world around her & begin deliberately seeking experiences & knowledge that she changed. Her mom may know she can be awesome now, but she'll probably try to shove and nag Donna into improvement, which isn't going to work! Unless another extraordinary person comes along to make her change, she probably WON'T. cry

BTW, how do you like my Donna Noble cosplay?  

Eirwyn

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:02 am
WOW, I just gotta say, I LOVE the Donna cosplay. I am a Donna fan. She has replaced Romana 2 as my new favorite companion. I actually mourned what happened to her, yes that's right, I literally cried. I didn't expect to do that. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:30 am
Totally not a Donna fan, but that's an awesome cosplay avie, Eirwyn.

(Martha Jones and Ace remain my faves...

Well, actually, Turlough is my favorite companion. The red-headed jerkwad in the boy's school uniform. I liked him a LOT.)  

Harbone
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 pm
Talk about over-acting...Mark Strickland (Turlough) actually foamed at the mouth in one episode. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:02 am
That's the Shakespeare coming through. I mean, honestly, try doing Iambic Pentameter emotionally WITHOUT spitting. It sorta becomes a habit.

Loved it. Gleeee.

(Actually, to riposte this discussion onto your fan fave, it was some of Catherine Tate's hammier moments that won me over from "Oh God, she's the one from that AWFUL Bride episode" to "Hey, she's a pretty good mimic and she can actually emote.")  

Harbone
Crew

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:49 pm
I love the fact that she refuses to be awed by authority figures & mouths off at the Doctor or swats him when he needs it. lol

User Image

OH, YEAH--here comes the grand finale in just ten minutes...!
(Hate to think how SciFi will butcher it.... gonk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:03 pm
It's on. Oh, btw. Hello everyone. DR. Who fan from long ago.  

Mostlyjoe

Eirwyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:17 pm
Hey! biggrin

Y'know what? I think the stinkers started it at 8:30 this week! :X
I've seen a pirate copy of this episode, & it was WAY too far along at 9pm!

What happened to Donna makes me MAD! scream
All that crazy mess going on all through the episode, & they can't pull one more crazy miracle out of the Doctor's rear end for DONNA??

User Image  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games