Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Does fear of the dark make you foolish Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm
personally, I prefer the dark.......(quiet, chilly, mysterious.... my fav...)

but i do not think it foolish to fear it..........  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 am
I can sometimes love the dark, peaceful and such, and sometimes I can feel abosolutely scared of the dark. It thinks it depends on who you are and your state of mind.  

Deadly Tea

Jioruji Derako

Invisible Shapeshifter

8,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:48 pm
A lack of fear is worse then a fear itself. Irrational fear isn't a good thing, of course, being terrified of kittens because they might eat your soul isn't something I would want to dwell on. But Being completely unafraid of something? You would have to truly believe that nothing could possibly hurt you, or just not care. Next thing you know, you've walked off a bridge just because it was there. Your fear didn't kick in and tell you to stay away from the edge, or make you scared enough to be careful around it.

Darkness can hide many things, but remember; it's not the darkness you should be afraid of, but whatever you think the darkness hides. Maybe the darkness is "hiding" your path; you're afraid of walking into a wall. Or something more complicated then that. You can never remove fear, but you can control it. Don't fight it, just understand it. If you can understand your fear and it still scares you, then you've got some logic to back up your fear. And going against your own logic for the sole purpose of "not being scared" is like running headlong into a brick wall just to prove that you're not afraid of walls.

Geo.>

P.S.: I was personally really scared of the dark as a kid, I would sleep with my lights on. I rather enjoy the dark now, can't fall asleep with the lights on, but that doesn't stop me from constantly checking over my shoulder if I'm alone in the dark anywhere other then my own room. mrgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:29 pm
Anonymous...
I agree with Bunai - it is perfectly natural and instinctive for humans to fear the unknown (although not all humans have this fear).
I myself am sometimes afraid in the dark, and I was certainly afraid of it all the time as a young child.
The most obvious way that this fear might manifest itself is through fear of the dark - fear of what one cannot see; moreover, what might be lurking there that you cannot see.

And I agree with you.

Also, to those saying its a silly fear: It isn't.

ghoulbot

Dead Glitch

Naitomosu

2,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:48 pm
claustrophobia is a fear of small spaces
cleithrophobia is a fear of being locked in small spaces

Im both so yeah. And your dad is trying to make you understand that there is nothing to be afaid of but he did in a awfully mean way, that is sooooo wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:53 pm
I think it makes you foolish cause you imagine things that aren't there, trying to put a name to a shadow. If you can't name the shadow, you panic and think it is a knife-wielding man which is scary. >o<  

falling_to_fly

Nekobemon

3,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 am
Gopher dude
lilraine
The Jabborwock
Does fear of the drak maake you foolish?I think i have nyctophobia(fear of the dark)and my father says im an a** for being afraid..

you're NOT an a** for being afraid. I think it's terrible that your father said this to you. there are few things to me that are worse than a parent ruining his/her childs self-esteem. everyone has fears to one degree to another. I dont think you're foolish. a LOT of people fear the dark. and you may grow out of it. if it is a true phobia, then eventually you might wanna see a psychologist about it.

you are not foolish in my book, hon.

If he isn't trying to ruin his child hood (unless he's got like a record or somthing whatever this is one case I'll make of it what it seems like) he's just telling him to hoist up his go-nads and be a manly man and go kick his fears a**. It's good to be afraid of things it gives us manly men a rush of adrenaline in order to kick said scary things a** it's a natural part of life...I was once afraid of the dark and then I figured "it's just dark..you know this is pretty good light to sleep in!"

Humans are sort of naturaly afraid of the dark. Ever since we started weaning our babies on fire we've bine afraid of the dark due to the fact that our cavemen minds are thinking "oh christ it's dark..I sure hope no wolves or godzilla's pop out of the dark.. gonk "

aye tho wat he said about cave men im ofended but the dark isnt bad it may look like it just the dark carries allot of illusions thats why many fear it
but if u do see something scary just turn on the light and it may be gone or not!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:13 am
There is nothing wrong with having a fear about something for even a long time. And yes you dad was wrong for calling you an ***. However when you feel comfortable there is a time to move on and conquer your phobia. I know I was always afraid of heights. Then I knew It was time to move on. I forced myself to traverse a high ropes course several times in the same week. It was H-E-double Hockey Sticks. But I conquered my fear of heights. Now I can work comfortably on ladders etc.  

Card_King1

Momotaro-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm
Fear of the dark is nothing to be ashamed of. I myself get a bit more jumpy during the night time hours...the trick is to not let that fear overrun your better judgement and keep you from living your life.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:13 pm
No! Of course your fears don't make you foolish! Everyone is afraid of something.. But, my question to you is "Are you really afraid of the dark? Or are you afraid of the things that hide in the dark?".  

PelicanBlack

Dapper Prophet

Mitsukai Sayuri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 am
I've been afraid of the dark since I kept seeing those commercials about scary stories and all that sh*t when I was younger. It's not neccessarily dark itself, but when it's in the night hours. I prefer not to go out in the dark unless there's at least 3 people with me.

You're definitely not alone, that's for sure.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:46 am
There is nothing wrong with being afraid of the dark. Remember we are the only beings that went from prey to predator. We are still cautioned to be afraid of the unknown. And we don't know what is in the dark, and usually what we don't know about we fear. To me it's perfectly rational to be afraid of the dark. Heck I'm a bit afraid of the dark. And I bet to some extent so are you parents.
Example: Alone, at night, in a haunted house, with a killer on the lose. And the power is out.
I bet you if most people were in that scenario the would be scared s***less.  

Cevadeva

Caity9117

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:48 pm
If he thks ur an a** than i am one two cause i hate the dark
And im deathly afraid of being underground I FREAK
so we can be loser asses togather  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 pm
your fathers wrong you cant be an a** for fearing something cause everyone has something theyre afraid of even if its a little "weird" to other people its still what your afraid of..noone can really change it but you sure they can help you overcome it but its not really in their control  

Ms Jenna_ Lee

3,000 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100

Esme Eames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:12 pm
Everyone has fears. They don't make you stupid or silly. I'm pretty sure everyone had some sort of fear of the dark at some time. It depends on how you let that fear affect your life.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff