Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Project DA History
How do you feel about the "anime/manga" style? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about the "anime/manga" style?
  I love it.
  I tolerate it.
  I hate it.
  What the heck are you talking about?
View Results

JouVal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:09 pm
I enjoy seeing anime/manga styled art, but I also love realism. I like to do a little of both.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:49 pm
the manga/anime style is my main style I do do some fantsy art a little realisum but the manga styl is my strong suit. I love it, it's so flexable, you can do just about anything with in it and still call it manga/anime you can use waht you learned from other styles in it or use the things you've learned in it and icorperate them in other styles thuse creating more or less your owne style. that's why I love it.  

~Sasuke Kaiba~

Nephillium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:01 pm
Anime is cool, but there is a lot to complain about ^^;
The best is that it sparks an interest in art.
The worst...is the lack of original style or even a slight change in style  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:20 pm
I toterate Anime style, but don't put it in my face saying it's your style and blah blah blah that's all you talk about. Or say that you draw anime because you want to do animation.You'll have another thing coming.

I do understand newer artist though, in the past when i first started to draw a lot, i used to draw a lot of Sailor Moon...ok....mostly Sailor Moon. But it pisses me off when that's all people do and don't expand their horizons.

Right now, Anime is too popular, and yes there is such a thing as too popular.

I hate to be mean about it, but i get so many people in lala anime land, that it drives me crazy!!!!! scream  

megamishizun

3,350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Nephilym

Vermillion Bloodsucker

9,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 pm
It's become a default style. mad So many people have not developed their own style because they're just copying anime. I have a slight anime feel to my drawings but I think my work is distinct.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:59 pm
I love it.
I mean, I pretty much grew up with it. I grew up with Sailor Moon, and even thought I used to draw a lot, it got me even more into art and different cultures.
Well, asian cultures, at least.
I love the different expressions and how versitile manga and anime can be - especially manga, since drawing has more room for details. :3

And even though it's all basically the same type (big eyes, small mouths and noses and all that standard type...) the styles still variate from author to author.
Of course, there are lots of people who just imitate something or someone else completely. I'm not sure I've found my style just yet - it's just a mixture of the kind of styles I like the most, I guess. O.o

Amai~Kawaii

leylageeker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:21 am
G E E K U

Eep, that's a pretty big generalization you have going there!

The anime/manga style splits off into sub-styles, too, so it's really what you favor. Like... I can never bring myself to watch ... some anime that's really popular but I forgot the title of because the noses bother me so much, and Lucky Star style stuff makes me glee because it's cute, but it's not my favorite. :'D I do love myself some stuff that looks a bit more like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because it's... proportionate?

And I saw someone in this thread say that it's a good alternative for those of us who don't like to/can't draw how a face would -really- look (because let's face it, even in anime a body is a body). I have to say that I highly disagree! D: There are some -great- semi-realism sub-styles of the anime/manga style that ... I'll be honest, are very proportionate to real life.

They're just ... anime-like? :'D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 pm
i like it but i think a lot of ppl start off with anime and are strictly drawing anime and manga all the time and never venturing from it. but i think to be good at anime you also have to practice realism too. it helps with proportion, shading and lighting  

Hobbs_11

ediboyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:09 pm
skogul
Now this is a complicated issue for me.

"Anime/Manga"-style has merit, in my opinion, especially the more detailed and "mature" styles used by artists such as Range Murata, Akihiko Yoshida, Ayami Kojima, Hiroaki Samura and others. It can convey a great deal of emotion and meaning in a beautiful, highly stylized way without getting convoluted or messy like some western styles can tend to be after a while.

At the same time, a lot of the more generic "anime/manga" derivative styles, usually those based on mainstream shoujo and shonen series and used by non-japanese artists tends to portray this school of styles as being cheap and full of shortcuts that make the artwork seem uninspired and lazy, if not downright crude, especially since a lot of newer artists who do anime derivative work never bother to develop a basis in life drawing and never build a foundation of realistic proportion, perspective or anatomy, and their work only goes so far before glaring errors begin to bog down the overall quality they can produce.

I, myself, have developed my style with a dichotomy of influences. I grew up in a Japanese-American household and anime and manga were omnipresent throughout my childhood and adolescence, but at the same time I was a huge fan of western comics such as X-Men and had a lot of books with more traditional artworks I drew inspiration from. As I got older and began to use more life drawing and study to progress in my work I felt myself begin to move away from the anime influence and use more detailed, realistic elements in my pieces.

Non-TL;DR version: Overall, I think anime and manga styles have their place, but I feel they're over-saturated and too often do individuals who base their styles on them make it seem cheap, generic and amateurish by taking too many shortcuts and not developing a firm foundation in more traditional artistic disciplines and practices.

agreed, very eloquently put! thank you for that.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:17 pm
*is happy for the 'tolerate' option* phew  

ediboyo

DoodlePix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 am
I like realistic anime art like death note/ naruto. XDDDD

There's millions type of styles of art so there's might be good artists or really bad ones sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 pm
with all the different styles of it I can't resist to not love it  

akuza3000

ShiCent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:03 am
They're ok, I guess. What do you mean by 'new artists' anyway? If you mean younger and just-recently-discovered-DA artists then they most probably someone who watches anime fans. Anime are a hit to young people like me XD Besides, it's easier to draw and color. Although, I use the anime/manga style, I prefer the realistic ones...I find them more artistic. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:07 am
1. New artists seam to like the styles for it's simplicity and ease of getting started.
2. Why hate a style? Yesterday's styles affect today's and today's affect tomorrow's weather we like it or not. So hate one style is almost like artist suicide in away.
3. Every style tries to portray some thing that others might not address as well or at all. Anime/manga portrays emotion in probably the most blunt way possible with out using words but sacrifices character uniqueness. More realistic portray the details but emotions can limited some times or even mistaken.
4. And yes I kinda like it, simply because its a small stepping stone that nearly any one can get a foot hold.

8track

nekys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:04 am
I'm not very enthusiastic about it, but I use it because of it's simplicity.  
Project DA History

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff