Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Disappointing Movies
Pan's Labyrinth: Contains Spoiler Info Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You hate it too?
  Worst movie ever.
  I hate it.
  Have not seen it yet, so I'll hate it later.
  Have not seen it, but I already know I hate it.
View Results

xXDragon FoxXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 pm
...I am talking with idiots...that movie had only one fantisy scene (besides a giant goat man) and that was one the fairies died! Ok? It wasn' magical nor beautiful (unless you're goth)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 pm
xXDragon FoxXx
...I am talking with idiots...that movie had only one fantisy scene (besides a giant goat man) and that was one the fairies died! Ok? It wasn' magical nor beautiful (unless you're goth)

I wasn't aware that fantasy had to fit under the prescribed norms of "beautiful" and "magical."

Beauty is relative. Magic can take many forms. And I like the irony in you calling other guild members "idiots", when it is you who consistently misspells words.

And also, your comment that Pan's Labyrinth is beautiful to only goths is demeaning to goths and viewers who aren't of that subculture who found it beautiful.

Please choose your words carefully next time.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

onagakami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am
RedWhiteBlack
...the myth has absolutely nothing to do with the movie. All that matters is that the name Pan was used so American audiences could understand that the faun was a mythical creature...

Well, yes. That's really all I was trying to say. And I was only trying to be thorough about the Greek mythology since xXDragonFoxXx seemed to assume, like many people, that the movie would be about the Greek diety when it obviously wasn't. The title change confusion WOULD be relevant as to why someone may not have liked the movie, if they expected something completely different going in and/or think the movie's facts about the creatures in it are totally wrong.

xXDragonFoxXx
...I am talking with idiots...that movie had only one fantisy scene (besides a giant goat man) and that was one the fairies died! Ok?

So you missed the part about the mandrake? Or the bit about the giant toad? Or the enchanted stones she fed it? What about the part about with the Pale Man where she drew a chalk door on the wall and it opened into another world? She obviously disappeared from her room when there was no other way out. Or her story to her mother about the magic rose? What about the existence of the labyrinth itself? Or the entire sequence at the beginning and end, where she was a princess?

If those aren't elements of fantasy, I must not understand the genre very well.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:11 pm
onagakami
Well, yes. That's really all I was trying to say. And I was only trying to be thorough about the Greek mythology since xXDragonFoxXx seemed to assume, like many people, that the movie would be about the Greek diety when it obviously wasn't. The title change confusion WOULD be relevant as to why someone may not have liked the movie, if they expected something completely different going in and/or think the movie's facts about the creatures in it are totally wrong.

Alright, but once this person started watching the movie, and realized that the movie wasn't about their preconceived ideas, shouldn't they be smart enough to remove their preconceived ideas and watch the movie for what it actually is?

This is why so many movies are misunderstood, and, as a result, hated. People create so many preconceived ideas about the movie before actually seeing it, that once they actually see it their view on the movie is already biased towards their preconceived ideas.

So what I've been saying this entire time is that those that hate this movie seem to hate it only because it didn't meet their preconceived ideas. Rather than hate it because it had terrible acting, the writing was sub-par, or because the cinematography was juvenile, most people tend to hate the movie for all the wrong reasons.

Notice how I said "most", and not "all." I know there is a general public out there that hates the movie because of their technical merits, or lack thereof. With these people, I gladly respect their opinion. However, I can't tolerate those who dislike things because of superficial and nonessential reasons. That's just ignorant.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

Trichromatism

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:03 am
I only read a few posts of the wall of texts that a few of you posted but i wanted to put in my two cents. I thought that Pan's Lab. was the best movie of 2006. The movie alone, won numbers of awards and Oscars. I believe the movie will go down as being one of the best foreign flicks of our time.

Every aspect of this movie was well done, and to contradict with so many positive opinions towards this movie, is just ridiculous. Clearly there was some misconception that you may have seen in viewing this movie or there was a highly biased mindset. I apologize, but to anyone who says this movie is crap, really needs to sit down and watch it again and rethink their life (unless you have some crazy religion that believes that fauns are the root of evil).

Just giving constructive criticism wink  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:41 pm
sankapoo
Oh, and your poll is ever so slightly biased.

I agree. Would it have killed to have a positive option?  

Nikolai Tesla

Ice-Cold Vegetarian

35,365 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

VampyraLillith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:07 am
LorienLlewellyn
RedWhiteBlack
Then I don't know what previews you saw, but I'm pretty sure something was missed by one of us. And considering I can see my copy of the DVD I own, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say I saw the entire movie. But anyway, that's not my point. The point is that if you think the movie is about violence and gore, then you seriously missed the point of the movie. The reason they billed it as a "fairy-tale for adults" is because of the violence, yes, but also because the storyline is a little more mature than your typical fantasy fare.

Question for you: if Pan's Labyrinth was a bad example of fantasy, what is a good example?

You missed the point. That's the bottom line. I heard the previews varied greatly depending on what channel they were on. Some channels portrayed it more accurately, while others made it seem mush more fantastical than it was from what I heard (I only saw the fantastical previews).

At any rate, I am not going to buy into your condescending crap by discussing it with you further. God forbid anyone disagree with you. I'll remember to check your opinion before posting in the future.

you're right about the previews thing. the one i saw made it look like you just stepped into never never land to go see peter pan (and to all the other people who read this that was just a comparison i know that is not what it is about.) And for anyone else who wants to argue about the movie the forum that we are in is called "disappointing movies" if you liked the movie that's fine not everybody has the same tastes.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:25 am
Misfit_the
LorienLlewellyn

I am not angry that he disagrees with me. I went to Pre-K, so know people all have different opinions. xp My issue is that once I said I did not like the movie, he didn't just disagree or debate with me. He simply implied that I was an idiot who must not have understood the movie because if he likes it, everyone intelligent person in the world should also like it. It's that kind of Nazi attitude that drives me crazy. So was I being condescending back? Of course. Debating is one thing, implying people are stupid for not liking a movie that you liked is another.

Maybe we just define "slasher flick" in different ways. My definition is fairly broad. For me, if I see more than like five people slowly beaten, tortured, and killed and more than like two gallons of fake blood, I'm probably going to call it a slasher flick.

Of course you are going to confuse people when you go and change the definitions of a genre of film... Slasher movies are usually a degenerate low budget piece of @#$% that are fun to watch but thats about it... because honestly after Psycho and Halloween (i would personally put A Nightmare on Elm Street in there because i think it was amazingly original)... their all remakes...

Since all the violence was in war... and acts of war like that happened... the Spanish fascism state was just as bad as the Soviets and the Germans... in terms of their methods.... I do not consider it in any means a slasher... since technically most were shot... or bludgeoned... but not... technically... slashed... hahahahaha...

Do you consider Lord of the Rings a "slasher" movie... I mean... those orcs were being killed in large numbers... 10,0000 in like 2 days? Thats genocide my friend... the whole movies about walking and genocide lol...

LorienLlewellyn

It's that kind of Nazi attitude that drives me crazy.

Are you calling him a Nazi?

um you did realize that she said to her right. and with her saying "Nazi attitude" meant one sided opinion. if you're going to quote somebody know what you're talking about because otherwise you sound like a idiot. (and no i'm not calling you an idiot just in case you missed the point)

oh and another thing if anybody thinks that i am solely defending her you're wrong just get you're s**t straight before blasting back at each other.  

VampyraLillith

VampyraLillith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:29 am
Nonesuch42
sankapoo
Oh, and your poll is ever so slightly biased.

I agree. Would it have killed to have a positive option?

you're right there she didn't put in to see if anyone liked it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:36 am
xXDragon FoxXx
onagakami
xXDragon FoxXx
thing was like so off! First of all, Pan is the Titan God of the Wild, second, the labrinth belongs to the ghost king, it was built by that son of athena, and Pan just lives in it! The only killing involved in that maze is the Minator!

You're incorrectly assuming The Faun is supposed to be the Greek god Pan and that the Labyrinth is the one of specific legend, built for King Menolaus, which held the minotaur. But both terms are being used generically in Del Toro's movie. The term labyrinth today just means "a winding maze," or refers to "a situation that is difficult to escape." Ophelia's story applies in both ways, since she has to traverse the faun's obstacles and her home life is horrible/inescapable. Also, the faun of the movie isn't Pan, he's just a faun, which is the generic term for a half-man, half-goat creature.

The original title of the film is "El Laberinto Del Fauno," translated as "the Labyrinth of the Faun." The word Pan is never once mentioned in it. That change was made by American movie-makers who didn't feel American audiences would know the meaning of "faun," or at least the difference between a baby deer and the classic Greek creature, unless the most well-known faun was referenced.

do you even research greek mytholigy? Pan, is not a god, but a Titan (before gods), the king did not make the maze but OWNS it, another guy made it...plus pan is a faun...and he LIVES in the labyrinth

pan is a greek god. he is the greek god of sex and rape. and if any one wants to argue me on that one you can talk to my greek mythology teacher considering we are still studying this.  

VampyraLillith

VampyraLillith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 pm
i think that all you just missed her starting point completely.

1. it's not that hard to tell that she doesn't really like violence
2. the previews that she saw portrayed the movie wrong

how in the hell do you start a debate about what is in the movie and what not on that. Everybody is try to make that movie sound good. if you liked that much why don't you just make a different thread on why you like the movie instead. this is the thread for disappointing movies, the movie was a disappointment to her big deal she doesn't have the same view as you and if everybody did this world would be boring.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 pm
obviously the movie was portrayed wrong and gave people the wrong idea of the movie.

but what some of you don't realize is that some people don't like watching certain things and the movie previews tricked them into watching something that they don't like or for the matter support. A lot movies today are doing that, so no wonder many people do not like many movies anymore.  

VampyraLillith

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 pm
VampyraLillith
i think that all you just missed her starting point completely.

1. it's not that hard to tell that she doesn't really like violence
2. the previews that she saw portrayed the movie wrong

how in the hell do you start a debate about what is in the movie and what not on that. Everybody is try to make that movie sound good. if you liked that much why don't you just make a different thread on why you like the movie instead. this is the thread for disappointing movies, the movie was a disappointment to her big deal she doesn't have the same view as you and if everybody did this world would be boring.

I think you over simplified the OP's original post, and you missed a point. Because of propositions (1) and (2), she did not like the movie.

I had a problem with the idea that she disliked the movie purely because her preconceived expectations were not met. Like I said in previous posts, it is illogical to dislike a movie because it didn't meet one's expectations. In my opinion, this is a shallow way to judge a movie.

Also, in my opinion, a dislike of violence shouldn't influence your judgment on a movie too much. I mean, it would be acceptable to criticize a movie if excessive violence was used where it isn't necessary, or no violence was used where violence was necessary.

This may be the disappointing movies forum, but if we didn't start some kind of debate, then the thread would have been spam, and would have died very quickly. Threads aren't created so people can agree on the topic. Like you said, if we did, it would be boring. There needs to be some sort of discussion going on about it. When you post a topic, you need to be prepared for criticism.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:59 pm
VampyraLillith
obviously the movie was portrayed wrong and gave people the wrong idea of the movie.

but what some of you don't realize is that some people don't like watching certain things and the movie previews tricked them into watching something that they don't like or for the matter support. A lot movies today are doing that, so no wonder many people do not like many movies anymore.

That's kind of what previews are designed to do. They are designed to show the movie in a light that will appeal to the most people. If people are really picky about what they watch, it is their responsibility to do the proper research. It is NOT the responsibility of the film distributor to make sure that every viewer gets exactly what they expected. People need to take a little initiative when it comes to movie watching.  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

Disappointing Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas