Reply Serious Conversations
do you beleive in God!!?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

boopsie63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 am
I thank every who has responded to this post. I promise next time to post something not so .... uncomfortable (for some). I needed to meet other people who thinks like me and I really needed to open myself up to world. I had one bad encounter on Gaia with someone who asked me to prove there was a God. This tore my soul appart. I beleive and that enough for me. I'm hurt if someone makes fun of my God. I will never make fun of someones beliefs.But, please let me have mine.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 am
I think that's extremely rude when people say things like that, and unfortunately there are a lot of people like that on Gaia. Respect goes both ways, and while I know that everyone can't believe in the same thing, people can, at least, respect someone else's decision. Just remember that we're not everyone is like that. heart

Rudeness and disrespect are two of my main pet peeves. >_>

pretty hate machine

Toxic Nymph

17,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Generous 100

Shenyu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:40 am
Quote:
I thank every who has responded to this post. I promise next time to post something not so .... uncomfortable (for some). I needed to meet other people who thinks like me and I really needed to open myself up to world. I had one bad encounter on Gaia with someone who asked me to prove there was a God. This tore my soul appart. I beleive and that enough for me. I'm hurt if someone makes fun of my God. I will never make fun of someones beliefs.But, please let me have mine.

Well, I think you must get a hard "skin" about that stuff because people like that are all over the internet. Nevertheless that person was kinda stupid.
I do believe in God, but I think the characteristic of a BELIEF is that it cannot be proven and does not have to be.
Therefore I do not judge people by believing of not believing. I am married to an atheist, but he follows the teachings of Jesus. As long as he does, I think he cannot be a bad person at all.

In university a teacher said: "It does not matter if you are baptized or not. If you live the way Jesus did, there is the church"  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:42 am
i respect that people have beliefs... and i like to learn about the culture and traddions this brings.
i dont belive in one thing, beucase that would be to say that the others are all wrong

but i think theres somethng about there...

i dont know what that makes me  

Amotas

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:52 am
not religious  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 am
I actually don't believe in any thing. I am not ashamed to tell people that I am an atheist. My mother kicked me out of the house and did not let me come home until the next day. And my husband was upset as well. It took them a while but they finally except me. They know that I am a good person regardless in what I believe in. I hope the rest of you will respect my decesion. I believe in life.  

Reashel22

Lucky Receiver

7,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200

KaShash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:30 pm
Personally, I find topics of religion to be rather offensive to me as religion is a verry personal thing to each and every person and can easilly be turned into a spitfire of mean low blows to people who are more than likely undeserving. But as I"m sure you are just being honest, I will not take offense from your topic. 3nodding

I promise to give as honest of an answer as I can to you, but I do warn you that you may not like it.

I am, and will always be, Agnostic. Let me also explain my definition of my "agnostic" alignment: I do not believe in anything SPECIFICALLY. I know that there is more out there than human beings can understand, therefore, I do not label nor make assumptions of whatever is out there that is beyond me. A God? I don't know. Many Gods? I don't know. Many Gods that are really just different facets of the same? I don't know. Universal Chaos? No idea.

I amo not saying that the things do not exist. THey may or may not, but that is not for me (a humble human) to make assumptions of.

I have seen several facets of religion as my mother is Lutheran, my father Catholic, my cousins are Jewish and my best friend Wiccan. I do not accuse anyone of having a different or lesser religion. Each religion is unique and each has their own way to better man as a whole.

Also, each religion has it's tarnish. For example: a tarnish on Jewish record may be the way they treated Jesus. A tarnish on Christianity is the crusades (I will not get into semantics about this, however, there were things that happened that I'm sure any Christian now would be ashamed of).

Choosing a religion is also like choosing a category to live by that each person may have differing opinions on. As most people will not change what they believe is right and wrong and thus will insist of others in the same religion to think likewise or be shunned, I prefer to avoid that conflict all together.

Some may think I'm a coward because of this, but taking the path that I choose comes with it's own ups and down. I get a lot of mud-slinging in my direction just because I am not what someone else is. Why should I be if I am not them? Each person is different, and they should remain as different as they wish or as same as they wish.

To put my opinions in a Christian perspective I would state:
God gave us the right to chose beliefe in him or not to believe in him. It is our gift from him that no other human (Christian believers anyway) has the right to take away. TO take away a gift that God gave someone would, therefore, damn the person.

All of this banter is only part of what goes through my mind when it comes to this topic. (Another reason why I don't usually get into it. sweatdrop )

I do hope that you understand my position as an individual and that you do not take offense to my opinions (as they are just that: opinions) for I did not mean to be offensive.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:39 pm
no i do not believe in an all mighty God.
I do havigher power that I belive in.
I think every 1 has to belive in something that is bigger than himself or we
start to feel like we are the centeer of the univers.
As a society we have to menny narcecistic people now with more children growing up every day into nacisom.  

twotees

KittytheSheGeek

Wealthy Ladykiller

8,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:48 pm
My beliefs are more or less "Neo-Druidic", to put a label to it. I believe in the Earth. (No, I am not Wiccan. No offense to actual Wiccans, but in my opinion, it is a frou-frou hippy religion lol))
By believing in the Earth, I believe that all creatures were born of the Earth. The whole universe has a creative, spiritual energy that creates the planets and stars and we are merely organisms born of that energy. I wont deny that there may be Gods and Goddesses, and I pay my respect to them all if the need arises, but I don't picture them so much as cloud surfing immortals so much as the manifestation of a particular strength of energy. I also believe in reincarnation, as well as evolution.

I also believe that our planet is stronger than we give her credit for and will not be ravaged so easily. In fact, if you have seen "The Happening", I whole heartedly think that a similar event is quite possible. I don't think it would make humans kill themselves, but perhaps release a poison into the air, or raise/lower oxygen output. It's happened before, and unless we actually blow up the planet, I think it will survive anything we put it through, in time. But that doesn't really have anything to do with religion, it's more or less a segue.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:55 pm
Shenyu

Well, I think you must get a hard "skin" about that stuff because people like that are all over the internet.

Sadly, that's absolutely true, and not just on the internet alone. I'm not saying it's right for people to be jerks like that, but no matter what faith or non-faith you come from, you're going to run into such encounters. Just as you had a non-believer get on you and ask you to prove there's a God, someone at some point likely got on his/her case to prove the opposite. I know I get frustrated a lot because I can't have a conversation with some people who are die hard believers of the Bible. These tend to be the educated ones, but they've always picked parts that they stick to. There's enough variety to even just one version of the Bible that you could come up with several different religious paths following it, but they don't seem to realize that and will excuse away anything. Makes it real hard to have an open-minded all-faiths-included discussion with. I've had to learn to have a hard skin just with religious discussion without even being in defense of my own beliefs.  

Evylyn Rose

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Evylyn Rose

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:58 pm
Akiyhrah
(No, I am not Wiccan. No offense to actual Wiccans, but in my opinion, it is a frou-frou hippy religion lol))

*is Wiccan* Haha and that's what happens when you try to bring a religion into the mainstream that has a theology different from the norm. Stupid fluffy bunnies. XD The religion as it truly is isn't "frou-frou" but pick a handful of self-proclaimed Wiccans at random and talk to them you're likely to get at least 7 of them to prove your point. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:24 pm
oOo_Nightowl_oOo

My analogy for 'heaven' is it's like a large city, with many different roads all leading there.

This reminds me of a great analogy for heaven and hell: Hell is a banquet table filled with all the best things you can imagine, but each person has an extremely long utensil strapped to their hands so they can't reach their mouth, so they sit there starving in the midst of plenty. Heaven is the same setup, but everyone feeds each other...

Yes, I believe in God (that's what I call him), but feel that we'll never know if all our various faiths are leading to the same answer ....

{and it's probably not "16"} rofl  

MQubed

MQubed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:27 pm
As you might have guessed, I tend to turn such a question with humor because it can become so explosive...

I also want to compliment all the posters (at least those I saw) on their restraint and honesty. In particular, I think KaShash did an excellent job on explaining his views. Congratulations to all Gaian Geezers!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:28 pm
Evylyn Rose
Akiyhrah
(No, I am not Wiccan. No offense to actual Wiccans, but in my opinion, it is a frou-frou hippy religion lol))

*is Wiccan* Haha and that's what happens when you try to bring a religion into the mainstream that has a theology different from the norm. Stupid fluffy bunnies. XD The religion as it truly is isn't "frou-frou" but pick a handful of self-proclaimed Wiccans at random and talk to them you're likely to get at least 7 of them to prove your point. wink
Haha, yeah, I agree. I think my best friend became 'fru-fru' Wiccan when she 'converted'. lol but there are a few still devoted to the original religion as it was intended. Just hard to find them as they don't exactly wear a label. wink  

KaShash

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:50 pm
Vaihingen
Kamika Sugi
I believe in Darwin so you can assume I'm not religious. I have nothing against people that do support a certain religion, though. Everyone needs something to hold on to, even me.
Vatican II acknowledges and verified Darwin, so that doesn't always mean someone is not religious. As a anthropologist, I gotta represent here! pirate

I believe very strongly, born and raised a Lutheran! dramallama

(Don't worry, I won't stone ya- I throw like a girl playing hooky during P.E. anyways)

Here, here!! I have always been a very religious person, and yet I have never had a problem with evolution or the insights of scientifically researched fields of knowledge. I've never understood why folks assume they have to be mutually exclusive. *shrugs*

Personally, I am a Kemetic reconstructionist- that is a branch off the Pagan family tree which honors the ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses, and attempts to do so in a culturally focused and appropriate manner. Kemetic reconstructionists are also sometimes called, simply, "Kemetics"- though that term can involve some other forms of religious approach to the ancient Egyptian gods which are not strictly speaking reconstructionist in nature. The Kemetic reconstructionist approach is to study the many aspects of ancient Egyptian life, culture, politics, and other historical/anthropological contexts to understand why, how, and what the religion and its forms meant to them back then, so that they can be more effectively revived, appreciated, and applied in a modern context.

However, my religion and the lifestyle it fosters is an intensely personal thing to me... so I usually don't feel the need to advertise it. I also make a concerted effort to keep straight the parts of my religion which I have come to believe through experience and my own theorizing, and those aspects of the Egyptological record which can be based on actual inscriptions or artifacts, and which are supported by the various respected academics of the field. I am perfectly capable of discussing my gods as a purely academic subject, and enjoy doing so- because I really do find them and the ancient Egyptian culture to be fascinating.

I also believe that other gods exist, so I don't think that other religions are "wrong," just that they're working with other deities who have other ways of doing things. However, my gods are enough for me- I have my hands full with them and my own life, so I generally don't think much about outside gods unless I'm interacting with a person whom I know is deeply spiritual and is influenced by another god or religious worldview. Then it becomes in my best interest to be familiar with it.

I also believe that atheism is as much a belief system as any other, and deserves the same rights, protection, and respect. I'm not bothered by people who do not believe in or address gods, spirits, or whatever. People have different focuses, and there are many layers of life to live on this world after all.

The only time I am bothered by people of other belief systems- religious or atheist- is when they take an intolerant, hostile, or condescending attitude towards others. And especially if they take an intolerant, hostile, or condescending attitude towards me. I understand that it's easy for our words or actions to come across in the wrong way- after all, we all believe we've chosen the best path or else we wouldn't be following it ourselves, that just stands to reason. I've been known to kvetch about Pagan religious traditions who equate gods from one pantheon with gods of another, who don't research the cultural contexts of their gods or the rituals which they perform, or who behave in a manner which I find irresponsible... but I do make an effort to be fair, to not go overboard, and to catch myself when I do. That's all that I ask from others.  
Serious Conversations

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff