Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Sakura Kiss~ An Ouran Guild

Back to Guilds

~Sakura Kiss~ is the largest Ouran Guild on Gaia. We have roleplays, blogs, and more! Hope you'll join us! 

Tags: ouran high school host club, host club, ohshc, ouran, roleplay 

Reply ~Sakura Kiss~ An Ouran Guild
Decide for Yourself [OURAN DUB OUT NOW!] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

singull

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm
fjkdsl God I loved the dub. 8D Thank you FUNi for posting up the episodes~ <3

Tamaki: No matter what I'll probably always identify Vic as Ed, so I can't help but think Edward Elric whenever I hear his voice, but still, if I forget about that, I think he did an AWESOME job playing as Tamaki. xD I especially loved when he screamed, "Mama!" in episode 2. <333

Haruhi: Caitlin sounded a little forced, but in all, she definitely did a great job as playing Haruhi. C: Some parts sounded a little weird, but still loved how she did Haruhi's voice. :]

Hani: JFDSKLJFSDL LUCI MAKES HIM EVEN CUTER! 8D
Did anyone else pay attention to the little giggling noises she made during episode 1 when Hani was rolling around on a customers lap after giving Usa-chan to Haruhi to hold onto? OMG CUTE!

The twins: FJSDKL their little twincest scenes made me squeal. xD Which is a first, I never got so worked up over the twincest scenes with the Japanese. xDD <3 They matched their voices very well considering they recorded at different times. >w<
UKE GREG AYRES WAS BETTER THAN I EVEN COULD HAVE IMAGINED! <333

Mori: Only one line and he sounded a lot like Roy. xD Made me giggle. <3
[Can't wait for the episode where he actually talks...dunno if we'll be getting that one in this first boxset though... -can't remember what episodes came up when in the anime...-]

Kyouya: When I really think about it, I think his voice was just fine and dandy. Seems a little deep at first, but I ended up getting used to it fairly quickly.

As for the opening and ending...

OP: Sounds a little off, but it isn't as horrible as everyone is making it seem to be.

ED: I really liked it. Cx Vic's version was pretty awesome too, but whatever, the version they have for the series was still pretty bitchin'.

But all around, it doesn't matter much about the OP and ED since a lot of the time, after I watch an episode or two, I end up skipping the theme song thangs to get right to the damn episode. xD

As for the honorifics they used, it's cool that they kept them, but having people who's first language is English and not Japanese, their -chan's, kun's and whatnot sound forced. xD Hopefully as the series goes on the way they say honorifics sounds a tad more natural.

And yeah...that's all I can think of to say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 pm
Jenny1229
evilHerbivore
Jenny1229
evilHerbivore
Guess I'll throw my opinions in here.
I thought it was a lot better than it could have been, and I lot better than I was afraid it was going to be. Vic did a pretty good job, considering the enormous kingly shoes he had to fill. His voice didn't sound like Ed to me, oddly enough; it sounded more like Femio from Princess Tutu to me. Not that that's a bad thing.
The OP and ED songs should probably have been left in Japanese. I saw no real reason to dub them, and the results sound like my younger siblings sang them (not a compliment). But I thought the script seems fairly well done so far. I had been wondering how Haruhi using "ore" would translate, and this turned out okay.
Mori only had one line. crying

I pretty much agree with you on everything. I watched Princess Tutu, but I don't remember who Femio is... Lol. Who is he?? I will have to go check it out and see if he sounds like that. After hearing Vic as Tamaki the first time, I thought it sounded kind of like him. But now that I watched them for a second time, I don't think it sounds as much like him anymore. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting used to it. xd Oh, and I adore your signature! heart

Femio was the guy with the purple hair who was only in one episode. He was constantly going on about how attractive he was, and every time he popped up, rose petals flew around him. Very Tamaki-like.
Thanks, it took forever to find a picture I liked. And now nobody recognizes it...

Oh my god! You're completely right!! I remember him now, and he is very Tamaki-like. Wow, I can't believe I didn't remember him because I thought that he was hilarious. It makes it even funnier that he was a prince, I think so anyway... Lol. It's been awhile since I have seen it. I will have to go watch it on Veoh again, or wait till my friend brings over her box set, so I can check it out. xd

Yea, I love the picture. I can imagine that it took awhile to find, it's so pretty. Lol, but I recognized it!! I love Princess Tutu. I find that it's not that widely known though. Which is sad, because it's a great anime. I only discovered it and got interested in it because I saw this really well done AMV on it. I had never heard of it before then. sweatdrop

He was definitely and interesting character. biggrin
I can't find anyone who has seen Princess Tutu. Nobody wants to watch it, for some reason. Probably the title.  

evilHerbivore

asutora

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 pm
Era Reynz

Tamaki: No matter what I'll probably always identify Vic as Ed, so I can't help but think Edward Elric whenever I hear his voice, but still, if I forget about that, I think he did an AWESOME job playing as Tamaki. xD I especially loved when he screamed, "Mama!" in episode 2. <333

Haruhi: Caitlin sounded a little forced, but in all, she definitely did a great job as playing Haruhi. C: Some parts sounded a little weird, but still loved how she did Haruhi's voice. :]

Did anyone else pay attention to the little giggling noises she made during episode 1 when Hani was rolling around on a customers lap after giving Usa-chan to Haruhi to hold onto? OMG CUTE!

The twins: FJSDKL their little twincest scenes made me squeal. xD Which is a first, I never got so worked up over the twincest scenes with the Japanese. xDD <3 They matched their voices very well considering they recorded at different times. >w<

[Can't wait for the episode where he actually talks...dunno if we'll be getting that one in this first boxset though... -can't remember what episodes came up when in the anime...-]

Kyouya: When I really think about it, I think his voice was just fine and dandy. Seems a little deep at first, but I ended up getting used to it fairly quickly.

OP: Sounds a little off, but it isn't as horrible as everyone is making it seem to be.

ED: I really liked it. Cx Vic's version was pretty awesome too, but whatever, the version they have for the series was still pretty bitchin'.

But all around, it doesn't matter much about the OP and ED since a lot of the time, after I watch an episode or two, I end up skipping the theme song thangs to get right to the damn episode. xD

As for the honorifics they used, it's cool that they kept them, but having people who's first language is English and not Japanese, their -chan's, kun's and whatnot sound forced. xD Hopefully as the series goes on the way they say honorifics sounds a tad more natural.

XD
I agree with you all the way except the theme songs!
I skip them too... ^x^;  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm
evilHerbivore
I can't find anyone who has seen Princess Tutu. Nobody wants to watch it, for some reason. Probably the title.

Yea, I don't doubt that.. It seems to be hard to find anyone who has seen it. When I went to NYAF, they listed it as an anime that was really good that not many people have seen. However, I don't really have to many friends that watch much anime, just my best friend. And she was the one who showed me Princess Tutu. We are working on the rest of our friends, trying to get them to watch Princess Tutu, and Ouran when it comes out. The only problem is that they are guys, lol, but I have a feeling they will come to. 3nodding Anyway, I am sure that the name gives the wrong impression. Lol. Have you tried to get friends to watch it?

Jenny1229

6,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Jenny1229

6,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 pm
Era Reynz

I am glad to actually hear a positive view of the dub because I really liked it too. Obviously, I still love the original more, but I think the dub is really well done too. I just had to reply to your post because I absolutely loved the part where Tamaki did the "mama!" thing!!! It was perfect. I think that he did such a great job and that after I get over the Ed Elric part, I will love it more. Vic just delivers his lines so well.. There was a part I read about in an article thing Caitlin wrote about how well he delivers his lines in the part in the first episode where he is telling Haruhi how to put a glass down. You can't really hear it unless you are listening for it because the focus is on Haruhi, but he does deliver the "I like to look at my reflection" line very well. It's great. whee

I know that I see a lot of people who didn't like Kyouya... I thought that he was good for the part.. sweatdrop

Mori, like everyone points out, only really had one word to hear, so I am very anxiously awaiting to hear him talk more. Which I can't remember exact episodes either, but theres definitely some in the first half. I must say that I heard Roy Mustang in his one word too, but I think that I will be okay with it.

I think Caitlin was wonderful with Haruhi. I can hear both girl and guy in the voice which is great!

Hunny... Was fabulous!! I did hear her sound effects in that one part and it was really good. It's so funny. Yey!

I really like the twins too. I don't have any particular part that stands out for me, but I thought that they did rather well. I don't think they did as good as the orignals, but I did squeel more with the dub, lol, which I think is just because it's different hearing it in English. It makes my inner fangirl even happier since I'm not accustomed to that stuff making it into dubs, being that my first anime was Sailor Moon. xd

Honorifics. Yea, it sounds a little wierd hearing it in English, but I am glad they kept them. Hopefully it does sound less wierd after awhile.

Okay... I think I just have the opening and ending now. When I first heard them, I thought they were horrible, but they are actually starting to grow on me a little.. I will always like the Japanese better, but I'm starting to think they aren't as bad. However, I love Vic's version of Shissou. It sounds really good to me! I'm about to go download it actually. *nerd* Lol....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 pm
@evilHerbivore: Princess Tutu is an adorable series. 8D I bought the boxset without even hearing the series before and didn't regret it at all. xD <333[/offtopic]

@Jenny: It's rare to hear positive reviews on anime series that get dubbed in English, kinda sad really. :c I also read in the post Caitlin made on FUNi's Ouran site about Vic's lines during his speech and listened very carefully when I watched the episode again. xD It t'was lovely. <3

Mori secretly wants to cosplay as Roy. >.>
<.<
[because he wants to blow stuff up]

Hoorah for squealing at the twins. xD <3
I'm very tempted to download Vic's version of Shissou. 8D;
o 3o I wonder if they'll put together a full length song of Sakura Kiss and Shissou in English for a cd.
Gawd, that reminds me...I still haven't gotten around to finding some Yu Yu Hakusho cds... >.>
You know, with that series, I didn't realize there was an English and Japanese version of the theme songs until a few months ago. xD; -is a dork-

singull

evilHerbivore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:54 pm
Jenny1229
evilHerbivore

Yea, I don't doubt that.. It seems to be hard to find anyone who has seen it. When I went to NYAF, they listed it as an anime that was really good that not many people have seen. However, I don't really have to many friends that watch much anime, just my best friend. And she was the one who showed me Princess Tutu. We are working on the rest of our friends, trying to get them to watch Princess Tutu, and Ouran when it comes out. The only problem is that they are guys, lol, but I have a feeling they will come to. 3nodding Anyway, I am sure that the name gives the wrong impression. Lol. Have you tried to get friends to watch it?

I have spent many days and nights attempting to spread various shoujo favorites to my friends. We all love Princess Tutu now. And once Ouran comes out, they say they will watch it. They're all to lazy to read subtitles, so they only want to watch it if it's dubbed.
Which makes me a little sad. The dub of Ouran looks great so far, and I only have a few little nitpicks (such as the omission of "Tono"), but they will miss out on so many great sounds... Mamoru Miyano can scream like nobody's business.
I guess, to be fair, Vic can too. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm
the japanese version will always de better xd !!  

samiritis

chocolatsachiko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 pm
the english dub is better than I thought. biggrin

tamaki and haruhi have the best dubs. whee

kyoua'sdubisnot so good. crying  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:41 am
Hehe. I saw the dubs already. And I have to say I loved everyone's voices. heart Kristine Sa was okay. . .but I've heard better ENGLISH fandubs of the song on youtube. (; The whole cast is frikkin awesome and I did not know Caitlin's voice could go that deep. xD She just amazed me haha. Vic was awesome with Tamaki, even though he does sound like his FMA role ehehe. I didn't really mind since he was completely in character. ^o^ Kyouya was awesome too wink , Jay Michael Tatum did a really nice job x3 (and I'm not just saying that cuz he gave me a bear hug when I asked for one at the Anime Expo *cough*). Luci Christian, makes a reallllly adorable HUnny : D I almost melted haha. and Travis was awesome even though he really does have the easiest part as Mori. Todd and Greg's voices really do compliment each other >w< and I almost wanted to faint |D. And that's it hehe. c:  

Tybalt C Montague

6,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

MokieMorty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:51 am
I especially like Hunny's voice. To cute! >w<
Kyouya's voice sounded a bit off to me in the first two episodes, but when my set came and I saw some more episodes, I became content with it.
Caitlin Glass did an amazing job! That's soiunds like it was a rough tough voice to find, but she did so well!
The twins are kinda weird, but it suits them.
Tamaki. I will never understand why so many fangirls dislike Vic's take on him. It's so cute! And he doesn't sound to old like Kyouya does. xP
Mori was... Well, he's Mori. xP Still, they did good.

(The only one that really bothers me now is Renge. >.0 I can take Monica Real's voice in small doses and minor characters, but when you get a whole episode of it, it's tough on the eardrums.)

[/fangirlrant]  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 am
Like with most dubs, my beef is mostly with the re-writing than the actual voices. There are just some words that don't fit, and many cultural nuances that are simply lost to American dubbers and audiences. I think the opening song was filled with too much stereotypically American diva-like vocal ornamentation. The Japanese version, while not devoid of enthusiasm, just felt much cleaner and simpler.

Haruhi: Quite decent; the voice is amibiguous enough to sound like a young boy or an lower-pitched woman. It does seem a bit of a stretch at times, but I think the emotions were very well-expressed.

Tamaki: A little too nasal... it seems to fit with his character when I release the expectation of it sounding similar to the Japanese voice. The emotional expression is also very strong.

Kyouya: This one almost made my ears bleed. The voice doesn't fit the appearance very well at all... it makes me think that Kyouya's Adam's apple should be bouncing with each syllable. It's a bit... too old-sounding.

Mori: I skipped around, so I actually never heard him speak.

Hani: The voice is also quite decent for an English-speaking actress. Because Western voices are so drastically different from Japanese voices in the way they're developed, it's almost never a good idea to have an adult male fill the role of a young boy. It's cute enough to be a loli-shota boy, but not overpoweringly sugar-sweet enough to be a girl.

The twins' voices matched their appearance well enough, I suppose, but I just didn't get that feel of synchronized brains. Also the awkward re-writing seriously messed up a few previously smooth, moving moments.

I usually consider the Japanese version far superior to dubs because I feel that, naturally, the Japanese understand Japanese culture and nuances best and are therefore best-suited to produce voices for Japanese characters. Western actors, I feel, lack that intuition for certain kinds of subtle inflection, or they are forced to ignore it in order to focus on lip-syncing. As I said before, my biggest problem with dubs is the re-writing, which omits certain lines or vocabulary which would be intuitive for Japanese viewers, but which American viewers would simply not understand. It greatly displeases me when they cut out bits like that simply because they think Americans are too lazy or ignorant to understand or look up things about Japanese society and culture.  

Silver Angel

Timid Regular

Bodilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:38 pm
I kinda don't like the voice actors that they used, but I suppose that I could get used to it. The opening theme on the other hand was just awful. I can't believe the way it sounds. They should've just kept it the way it was, Japanese. ((I much prefer the original Subed overall))  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:51 pm
MokieMorty
(The only one that really bothers me now is Renge. >.0 I can take Monica Real's voice in small doses and minor characters, but when you get a whole episode of it, it's tough on the eardrums.)

[/fangirlrant]

lol. I love Monica's voice. She was great as Hazuki on Moon Phase and as Nanaka on Nanaka 6/17.  

Kibby47
Captain

~Sakura Kiss~ An Ouran Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas