Gold?
  Of course!
View Results

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am
Lieutenant Shotgun
I don't get feminism...

I agree with Sojourner Truth. I'm a woman, damn it, drop your coat on a puddle for me.

Though, Truth was a feminist different from the pack. She wanted to be assisted, instead of... treated like a man, basically.

"Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say."

So feminists who are all "eff you, you saved me, stupid man" can suck my tit. (Suck my tit: said by MORD! :3)

^ Quoted for TRUTH!
Sure I'm all for equal rights and s**t when it comes to the workplace. But I better have a man who picks me up when I fall, or opens my door for me when I get in his car or when a door just needs opening. I'd do the same for him because it's polite.

People often get worked up over a simple gesture, when all they really need to do is smile and say "Thank you." You would think it is that simple. But people seem to get offended over anything these days. "Oh you opened the door for me because I'm a woman! Well guess what bub! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!! D:<" Honestly people need to calm down and get their hormones in check.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:11 pm
[I am a feminist in the sense that I think equal rights is the only way to go.

I, however, am not anti-femininity. This means I'm not against bras, make-up, dresses, beauty-pageants, and any of that other uber girly crap. (I do think chivalry is crap, but that's another topic entirely.)

I think the two get confused: Feminism is political in nature. Femininity is social in nature. I don't see how one can have anything to do with the other.

I also don't go with the old school ideals of feminism. I don't think being in a relationship in any way makes me reliant on a man, that accepting my husbands name makes me subservient, that my bra was devised to keep me in my place, that being a stay at home mom proves my secondary status in society, that words such as 'semester' and 'mankind' are used to keep women down, and many other staple ideals from the sixties.

I like to think I'm a non-paranoid feminist. n.n
]

User Image  

-PrimaCzarina-

Fluffy Prophet

9,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:13 pm
AThousandLullabies

i'm doing a paper on the women's rights movement throughout time and there was a period of time not too long ago when if a man tried to open a door for a woman, she would get mad. they thought like "i can open my own doors!"

I think there was a time when this was necessary. Chivalry and old fashioned codes of manners indicated it was polite to hold a door for a woman, pull her chair out so she could sit, help her over puddles.. etc. This wasn't mean to be sexist, it was meant to be polite. However, it instilled the mindset that women need to be helped and that she was fragile. In the early days of feminism, this mindset needed to be erased if women were to gain equal rights, especially voting rights. If a woman relyed on her man to help her with these things, she could rely on her husband to vote for both of them. This was unacceptable, and that is why women tried to destroy the idea of chivalry. As a middle aged married woman, what else can you do to support women's rights? She only had control over small choices like this. Thats why she would ask a man not to be chivalrous.

However, I no longer think this mindset is necessary. Women are no longer oppressed, and we should encourage men to be polite to us. On that note, we should encourage anyone to be polite to anyone without gender being an issue.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:41 pm
broken_bleeding_angel
Lieutenant Shotgun
I don't get feminism...

I agree with Sojourner Truth. I'm a woman, damn it, drop your coat on a puddle for me.

Though, Truth was a feminist different from the pack. She wanted to be assisted, instead of... treated like a man, basically.

"Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say."

So feminists who are all "eff you, you saved me, stupid man" can suck my tit. (Suck my tit: said by MORD! :3)

^ Quoted for TRUTH!
Sure I'm all for equal rights and s**t when it comes to the workplace. But I better have a man who picks me up when I fall, or opens my door for me when I get in his car or when a door just needs opening. I'd do the same for him because it's polite.

People often get worked up over a simple gesture, when all they really need to do is smile and say "Thank you." You would think it is that simple. But people seem to get offended over anything these days. "Oh you opened the door for me because I'm a woman! Well guess what bub! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!! D:<" Honestly people need to calm down and get their hormones in check.

Having doors opened for you isnt a feminist issue its a manners one. Being able to voice an opinion however, that is a feminist issue and in many parts of the world women arent allowed to do so. That any women claims not to 'get' feminisim is unaccepatble. If you are going to school,allowed to choose whom you marry and divorce should you so wish, if you have a right to leave an abusive relationship or to persucute a rapist then you definetly 'get' feminism. I think north american women have been conditioned to think of feminists as hairy lesbians bitching about men opening doors for them when really its about getting basic rights like education and pay equity (assuming you live in a country where a woman is allowed to work of course).  

Kid Generic

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm
Touch_Me(Im_infected)
broken_bleeding_angel
Lieutenant Shotgun
I don't get feminism...

^ Quoted for TRUTH!

Having doors opened for you isnt a feminist issue its a manners one. Being able to voice an opinion however, that is a feminist issue and in many parts of the world women arent allowed to do so. That any women claims not to 'get' feminisim is unaccepatble. If you are going to school,allowed to choose whom you marry and divorce should you so wish, if you have a right to leave an abusive relationship or to persucute a rapist then you definetly 'get' feminism. I think north american women have been conditioned to think of feminists as hairy lesbians bitching about men opening doors for them when really its about getting basic rights like education and pay equity (assuming you live in a country where a woman is allowed to work of course).
But I live in America, and I have all of those things. I know that I have them because feminists fought for them. I am grateful for that. If i lived back then, I would be a feminist. But I don't, and I don't need to fight for my rights. Continuing to make a big deal about feminism will just get on people's nerves.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:34 am
Kaiyle Brightblade
AThousandLullabies

i'm doing a paper on the women's rights movement throughout time and there was a period of time not too long ago when if a man tried to open a door for a woman, she would get mad. they thought like "i can open my own doors!"

I think there was a time when this was necessary. Chivalry and old fashioned codes of manners indicated it was polite to hold a door for a woman, pull her chair out so she could sit, help her over puddles.. etc. This wasn't mean to be sexist, it was meant to be polite. However, it instilled the mindset that women need to be helped and that she was fragile. In the early days of feminism, this mindset needed to be erased if women were to gain equal rights, especially voting rights. If a woman relyed on her man to help her with these things, she could rely on her husband to vote for both of them. This was unacceptable, and that is why women tried to destroy the idea of chivalry. As a middle aged married woman, what else can you do to support women's rights? She only had control over small choices like this. Thats why she would ask a man not to be chivalrous.

However, I no longer think this mindset is necessary. Women are no longer oppressed, and we should encourage men to be polite to us. On that note, we should encourage anyone to be polite to anyone without gender being an issue.

so holding a door for someone implies that they are helpless?  

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

sterek

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 am
Feminism is supposed to be the advocacy of gender equality, meaning that women deserve the same rights men do. In that sense, I'm a feminist, and everyone I know is as well. But some people apply it as a "female superiority" kind of thing, which is bullshit to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 am
AThousandLullabies
Kaiyle Brightblade
AThousandLullabies

so holding a door for someone implies that they are helpless?
No. A code of chivalry that requires you ALWAYS hold the door for a woman might serve as fuel for the idea that women cannot survive without help. This idea was not created by chivalry. Chivalry just created a subconscious mindset that MIGHT go along with the idea. But feminists were taking no chances.  

Kaiyle Brightblade

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 am
i am most diffenity a feminist. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:14 pm
User Image

I am indeed a feminist.
I believe a woman should have a choice to either work or be a homemaker.
I also believe that just because I don't have a p***s I cant do the same thing as a man.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Starchan13

Magnetic Prophet

9,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 am
I consider myself feminist and believe that everyone should be equal.

I find offensive when people assume all feminists to be radical, to want to be superior to men, and to be bitchy.

I also find it annoying when men's rights groups try to be superior-it isn't men's rights, it's men trying to eschew women's rights. Not saying that all men's rights people are like that, but the majority I've encountered-especially on Gaia-seem to be.

Really, we don't need to encourage gender stereotypes. I want to be treated equally. I want equal pay. I want my female video game characters to stop dressing like prostitutes. I want to be able to wear pants to a black-tie formal event and not get strange looks. I don't want to be underestimated, I don't want to be told to "Stay in the kitchen", and I don't want people to be shocked by the fact that I'm better at fighting video games than they are. Is that really so wrong? Women aren't equal to men. We need to be equal. Feminism is not an outdated, silly idea. It's necessary to make change.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 am
I'm a feminist.

I believe in equal rights. I believe in equal representation in government. I believe in equal pay for equal work.

Just because the laws now exist to protect women doesn't mean they are working. 50 years after African Americans got the right to vote and had protections under the law didn't mean that magically racism was gone during that period. The same applies to women.

The laws haven't been around long. Women haven't had the right to vote for 100 years yet. There have been great changes since the 70s, but just because the laws exist doesn't mean people aren't breaking them.

It is very frustrating.  

stardust460

Bashful Gaian

10,625 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Citizen 200

gabilliam tho

Cutie-Pie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 am
I consider myself a feminist.

I had very skewed views of feminism growing up, mostly because the media makes views feminism as "feminazis", or people who think that women are better than men, and I've never thought of that. I just think that we should have equal rights and equal opportunities, but it's so hard because America was founded on rich, white, Christian men.

I think that feminism is as important now than it was, say, 50 years ago. Just because the issues presented now are different, it doesn't mean that they aren't relevant. There are still battles to be fought in the government, media, and in our every day lives.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 am
Kaiyle Brightblade
Girls:
IN AMERICA WOMEN HAVE EQUAL RIGHTS

It is illegal to discriminate against a women in just about any way. Women have maternity leave so that their careers will not be jeopardized if they want to become mothers. Women have rights to child custody after a divorce. If they do, the husband must pay them child support.

And, women cannot be drafted. Men can.

WE NO LONGER NEED TO GET WORKED UP ABOUT EQUAL RIGHTS. WE HAVE THEM.

Wait, what? If women don't have to sign up for the draft, then they are not equal to men.  

Commander Sigma

Mega Man-Lover

Roxxy v2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 am
Kaiyle Brightblade
And, women cannot be drafted. Men can.
That one pisses me off. The sorts of wars the US gets into are wars that can't be effectively handled by draftees. The sort of war likely to directly threaten us will be over before we have time to train any draftees. Volunteers do their jobs quicker and with better results, and have far fewer discipline problems. They also tend to serve longer, leaving them more time to become good at their jobs and giving the military fewer new inputs to have to train. Therefore, the US military has no interest in reinstatement of the draft. Congress likewise doesn't want it, and neither does the population as a whole. That means it ain't happening.

That said, I absolutely think women should have to register and should be considered eligible. This is for one simple reason: equal rights means equal responsibilities. Granted, it's symbolic since nobody, male or female, is going to get drafted, but it's a symbol I think we should bear.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff