Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Dr. Who - a show for the truly decrepit Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Dr. Who?
I don't like anybody.
5%
 5%  [ 15 ]
Didn't he have something to do with pledge drives?
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
I don't watch medical shows.
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
I heard he went crazy and lived in Obi-Wan's attic.
10%
 10%  [ 31 ]
Sure. Lots. Now gimme my poll gold.
24%
 24%  [ 74 ]
Exterminate! Exterminate!
56%
 56%  [ 168 ]
Total Votes : 300

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:27 pm
Lachesia
By the way, Harbone, speaking of obscure old TV shows...how many people have actually picked up on the fact that your sig is from The Prisoner? xd

Fan of rebellion, Lachesia?
Good for you.
OR is it something to do with Lachesis, whom I remembered was a fate, but I had to look up what she did (measured the length of a person's life.) Adding some length to this thread of nostalgic musings, eh?

Thanks for the variety.

PS. The siggy is temporary. It's in support of Santa.... who they're bringing back with or without input from the likes of me. I just like making a protest which has an effect every now and then.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 am
Lachesia
VelouriaDS
Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Sarah Jane Smith (the girl who got bit) was saved by the Doctor. She ended up no worse for the wear.

She did? Dammit! I mean, yay! If only I hadn't covered my eyes for the last bit, I wouldn't have arachniphobia. Well, okay, I probably would. Those spiders were awful. I wonder if it would have changed how I reacted if I'd known she was okay. Huh.

The fact that you could identify the exact episode from my 25 year old skewed nightmare memories is really impressive, however. xd

That episode is really the only one where spiders are prominant figures. AND it is a regeneration episode. The end of the third doctor. So it is rather memorable. I don't think the doctor himself ever liked spiders much after that, let alone anyone else who watched the episode. I can more than understand how that episode would give someone arachnophobia. Spiders are creepy and icky.  

Velouria Dragoon

Lachesia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:28 pm
Harbone

Fan of rebellion, Lachesia?
Good for you.
OR is it something to do with Lachesis, whom I remembered was a fate, but I had to look up what she did (measured the length of a person's life.) Adding some length to this thread of nostalgic musings, eh?

Thanks for the variety.

PS. The siggy is temporary. It's in support of Santa.... who they're bringing back with or without input from the likes of me. I just like making a protest which has an effect every now and then.

I remember the clapping thread. I think it's a lovely idea, but I'm wondering just how far over the kiddies' heads the references are flying. crying I was very tempted to snatch the sig and join in, but I'm not entirely sure I want to support S Corp. It reminds me of Gambino's 2004 halloween activities. Evil's fun, true, but I'd rather have Jack in charge of Christmas this year. heart

My brother is a huge fan of The Prisoner, and convinced me to sit down for the first few episodes. Kitchy and cheesy, yes, but strangely compelling and mind-twisty once you sit through the first one or two. It grew on me and I was very sad that I'd only gifted him with the first season of episodes.

And yes, the name is related to Lachesia. Lachesis was taken, so it required a little tweaking on my part. But that's just as well, since most folks don't catch that particular reference either. Here, have some virtual brownies for spotting that. Yep, Lachesis is the one who measures the thread. whee

This guild could use a little prodding, that's for sure. *sad face*

Velouria, it was? Wow. Perhaps I should go back and actually watch the show again. Awww. The poor doctor was afraid of spiders after that? I'm not surprised. Those things were awful. mad  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:27 pm
Jack in charge of Christmas.... hmmm, the Boneman didn't see to have much luck the last go-round. That could be interesting... wonder if Oogie-Boogie would show up. twisted

My most memorable Dr thread was the one with the "hand"... I only saw parts of that one, but boy did it creep me out. Another one of those shows my dad adored, possibly because it irked my mum. rofl  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:15 pm
Well, I'm not too fond of Jack myself, only because he seems to be a righteous bully.

And I agreed with mecha santa's comments on elitism. It really rings my shorts (especially when I fall prey to it - which, being a natural born snob, I often have. I was one of those jerks in school who loved to be called on.)

On the other hand, I don't think I can stand another zombie episode.
Zombie zombie zombie...

Come to think of it, that's one of the reasons I like Dr. Who. It doesn't HAVE that many zombies. It's got a zombie episode here and there, but it was chock full of other kinds of monsters... all of them BAD, of course (bad production values, any way. A lot of the show was one-shot, cut-it-and-edit-it-best-you-can kind of stuff.)

HAHAHA. Man, I crack up thinking about some of the stuff I saw on that show.

I wonder if an anime or manga COULD do it justice? I mean, can you DO cheap special fx in Japanese Comic format?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:20 am
Did any of you guys who've seen the last episode of the Eccleston series see this yet?

Warning: MAJOR spoilers.  

Nuala

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:34 pm
Waaaah! (*choke* *sob*)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:40 am
Harbone
Waaaah! (*choke* *sob*)

I did warn you about the spoilers. smile

For what it's worth, I don't think that most of the UK knows about that, either. As you can see, it was screened as a segment in the middle of a telethon - and I only found out about it two nights beforehand after watching a trailer for the thing in general, spotting some David Tennant images I didn't recognise and doing some research.

Considering that the series is one of the BBC's biggest marketing pushes right now, I don't know what their publicity department must've been thinking to keep it so low-key.

My reading group didn't know. My LRP group didn't know. My anime club didn't know. And if the geeks don't know, then the rest of the country almost certainly didn't.  

Nuala

Velouria Dragoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:13 am
Nuala
Harbone
Waaaah! (*choke* *sob*)

I did warn you about the spoilers. smile

For what it's worth, I don't think that most of the UK knows about that, either. As you can see, it was screened as a segment in the middle of a telethon - and I only found out about it two nights beforehand after watching a trailer for the thing in general, spotting some David Tennant images I didn't recognise and doing some research.

Considering that the series is one of the BBC's biggest marketing pushes right now, I don't know what their publicity department must've been thinking to keep it so low-key.

My reading group didn't know. My LRP group didn't know. My anime club didn't know. And if the geeks don't know, then the rest of the country almost certainly didn't.

The regeration episode was some of the best doctor who I've ever watched. It was awesome. Anyone who has been watching the series knows. My husband had to download all the episodes after they aired over there, so we didn't have to wait for our doctor who stuff. If you want the latest geek info on doctor who, you have to go to the doctotr who message boards/fan sites. That's where we found out.

Yes, I have seen the little telethon bit with david tenant. I think he's going to make a good doctor, even if he isn't Ecclesdoc. (As soon as he adjusts to his new regeneration of course.) There's the Christmas special that's going to air in December, and then we have to wait until the new season starts. Its going to be good, I'm sure.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:42 pm
For some reason I hear Dr. Who and think of Dr. Strange. Whoopsey! sweatdrop So it really is a medical show? Never watched it.  

Ambichan

Fashionable Cleric

10,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Cleric 100

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:05 pm
Sci-Fi  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:02 pm
Harbone
I very much like your clap banner, honey.*
I think I'll steal it.

*Umberella and I are married IRL.

You guys are lucky. My hubby is a fun great guy, but he won't play on gaia. Dunno why. He says its dumb. *shrugs* I guess he only really likes D&D  

Velouria Dragoon

vampyre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:28 pm
I own a 14 foot long scarf!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:18 pm
OMG, I used to be a TOTALLY hardcore Whovian. Way beyond sense and sensibility, worse than any Trekkie. lol.... I've seen every Dr Who episode that still exists to be seen, except for the new ones (Eccleston, you say?). But my brother downloaded those from the net, and he said he'd burn me some copies of them; I just keep forgetting to give him the blank disks when he's here in town. Heck, I've even seen the ~original~ Dr. Who movies, the non-canon Brit ones with Peter Cushing as The Doctor. I was a veteran con-goer, and eventually helped run two local British sci-fi fan conventions (even got to have dinner with Colin Baker, before the first one... lol.... Had breakfast with Danny John Jules, the guy who played "Cat" on Red Dwarf, after the second one) back in the 90's.

For me, Tom Baker was the "only" Dr. Who, although I liked them all (even the one from the USA movie. Yes, I know, that makes me a heretic, but what-the-heck.) Colin Baker was my second favorite Doctor, although I am not exactly sure why.

But I'm afraid I have to prove my Official Whovian Geekdom here -- you've got the wrong spider episode. The one you are talking about, with Sarah Jane and the Jon Pertwee regeneration, was not the one with the spiders that bit people and turned them into Swamp Things. (lol) THAT one was a later Tom Baker episode, titled "Full Circle," and the woman who got bit was Romana, his only Time Lord Companion. She didn't turn into a swamp thing, but she did get this wierd glowy green mark on her face, and she did run off and cavort with the swamp things and help them invade the "human's" space ship. And The Doctor ~did~ save her in the end, so that turned out all right. This episode was, in fact, the first Adric episode.

So yes, I was a total Dr Who geek. xd I've since recovered, but all that information was burned into my permanent hard drive back then and seems to be uneraseable. wink  

AmberKatt

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm
*Eye starts to twitch...*
Adric? Aaaadric?!?
AAADRIC?!?

Actually, my favorite companion was Turlough.
(the grumpy, high tech alien traitor in the public school uniform, sort of like a time travelling version of Dr. Smith - uh, without a robot.)  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40 41 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff