Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dat Waffly

7,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:55 pm
My friends at school call me a nerd now. oAo
My parents are supportive of the cosplaying.
My cousin likes it. But is weirded out most of the times. Thats about it >3<  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:35 pm
Mum: She's great and 100% supports me and my cosplaying, love of Japan, Japanese culture etc. She often helps me come up with costume ideas and helps make them because 9 times out of 10, my solution to everything is 'dye it!' Only once was that ever the right solution. XD

Dad: Again, he's great. 100% supportive of me and my cosplaying. He's the one that comes with me to the conventions and looks around/looks after me, especially if I'm wearing a rather bulky cosplay. Plus, he seems to be interested in alot of the Japanese Horror movies. He likes Battle Royale, Death Note, R-Point (Though I think that may actually be Korean) and such. Live action films obviously, he may like some Animéfilms, but not 100% sure.

Brother: Well, he accepts it. Don't really talk to him much, he keeps himself to himself and I respect that. Though he did go to one of the convetions and was rather impressed by it and has never said anything negative about it, so all's good.

Boyfriend: He's a big Animé/Manga fan and so he accepts it. He sometimes isn't happy with my choice of cosplay though due to the fact it gets the attention of many male onlookers, but I did make it quite clear to those who were 'staring' and to my boyfriend that he's the only one for me because I was all over him and cuddling him, keeping close to him to reassure him that I love him.

YurekaMeriya

Timid Shapeshifter

8,925 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200

Designer Hobo Style

Distinct Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm
salsababy2889
It's sad to admit, but not everyone is into anime conventions nor do they go to them. So what do they think about you? What do your parents think about you cosplaying/conventions? Your non-con friends? Who's supportive and who's weirded out? Discuss!

I actually have many friends that are into anime, anyone that isn't isn't really my friend. I even got a friend into anime by showing him deathnote. Same goes for my parents, they don't really care, but they're not obsessed or anything either. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm
User Image
I'm about 20 years old, so my aunt has lectured me on obsessing over anime. The great thing about anime and cos-playing though, is that there is absolutely no age limit. Other than that, everybody finds cos-playing really cool, and respect me for doing it.
User Image  

amam2217

7,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250

MiRaCLExMOOn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:14 pm
I don't tell most people. I just feel awkward telling some people about anime and cosplaying, because usually you get a rude response back. So why would I want to tell them? I wouldn't deny it, but I don't go around just publicizing it.
Heheh. Unless it was for a video or something. (Though people who give you disapproving looks and stuff like that piss me off - so sometimes its just not that fun in public. Can't people just keep their traps shut?)
Some people I'm sure would think I'm weird and my friends who I do tell either don't seem to mind or think its fun.
Even if they say its weird at first, make them cosplay and bring them to a con and they can't deny its crazy fun. C:<
(Though I've tried to force one or two along to carry stuff and be a cameraman, but no go. D: I still need a manbitch for our Brigade ... ie- Kyon or Itsuki... Any takers?).
As for my mom she's okay with it. She doesn't seem very interested in what I like or what I have to say half the time, but she's enjoyed the two times she's come with us. She thinks its interesting. xD And my aunts seem to think its nice for me to be among my fellow kind...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:01 pm
My family: more or less ignores it. I'm an adult grown now... they're only vaguely aware that I like costuming and, for them, it's just like Halloween. My mother taught me to sew and be crafty, so I think she's actually very flattered that I still enjoy those things.

My friends: This Halloween everyone hopped on the bandwagon... my friends are pretty good sports and even the ones who don't participate in events often tag along to take pictures or comment positively on how cute or awesome the gear looks. I get a bit of razzing from the non-gamers and people who don't "get" anime... but it's good-natured enough.

My workplace: Hates that I go to events and dress up. I think they'd rather I didn't... it embarasses them. But they're old and crusty. What do they know? razz

My students: Look up to me, write me love letters, trade purikura and blog about me. They randomly show up at events, even out of town to support me or just swing around on my neck taking photos. They're AWESOME. I started cosplay because of them and will probably continue until ~they~ get bored with it smile

The Japanese cosplay community: Some people in the community are incredibly excited to see a foreign cosplayer and will go out of their way to chat or excitedly request pictures. Others within the community seem threatened or annoyed that we're encroaching on their territory. I think a lot of people, on first meeting my friends and I, assume we can't speak Japanese and therefore, they shouldn't bother speaking to us. Sometimes we get around this by passing snacks or lending mirrors/makeup/combs in the dressing room... some respond, some don't.  

hatarakitakunai

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 pm
Dad thinks I'm a nerd, but is supportive. He wants to go to SakuraCon next year to take pictures, haha xD
Mum is down with it. She's a hardcore MMO gamer on EverQuest and has been for 9 years, so she wasn't terribly suprised when I told her about cosplaying 6 years ago.
As far as my friends go, only a few of them go to cons, but my non-con friends just laugh when I bring it up. They're all very supportive of me though 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 am
My rents support me, they really like that I make my own costumes 3nodding A lot of my friends think I'm a bit weird (after I explained what cosplay is because they don't know) and get visions of creepy guys in wizardcostumes. I think that they just don't want to understand... xd  

Vehii xX

GundamIsGod

Irregular Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 pm
I don't really care about the people who DON'T like my cosplaying. My parents think it's a pretty okay hobby. My mom likes to talk to me while I'm making costumes and helps me figure stuff out from time to time. My dad would probably GO WITH ME to conventions if they didn't interfere with his work schedule or cost so much. I'd like to take him to a Treky convention some year (I of course would dress up, but I'm sure he wouldn't, unless he wanted to be Scotty... heh, heh...). Hey, it's better than drugs, right?! XD My brother teases me a lot, I always remind him that everyone has a hobby, hell, he's a bigger nerd with his WoW obsession. My roommates obsess over theater more than I obsess over anime, so they don't think it's too weird. ^^ For the most part. Plus I don't go around yelling "KAWAII!" at some anime thing all the time. I do swear a lot in Japanese and they just laugh at it. I explained that when I sound like I'm giving a very manly sneeze, I'm actually saying "Damnit."  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:55 pm
Serenity-Sama
My parents stopped asking questions a while ago. biggrin And I don't have any non-convention friends, and those that don't cosplay think I'm awesome for doing it.
User Image

Same my parents are a little confused as to why I was doing it at first but now they don't even ask anymore. Hey I could be into worse things sweatdrop
User Image

Dark_Fluffy-Chan

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am

My mom: I think she's ok with it because it's better than drugs and alcohol, which my school is known for. I do think she likes the idea that I'm sewing mostly because she'll never repair anything for me again. ^_^;;;; But I'm pretty sure she's given up on the whole me not dressing as a guy thing.

My dad: He'd support me no matter what. I think he's just happy I've found a group of friends a school and I'm doing things with them. When I'm working on things I bet he'll be interested.

My brother: Probably the most impressionable of them all, he's only 11. He doesn't know yet that I'm cosplaying, but I think he'll like the idea. He's my biggest fan. =D I'll probably turn him to the dark side soon. He already likes anime and manga. All I'd have to do is make him an outfit. If only he'd stop growing so much while I'm at school!

My friends: Well, the ones at school are ecstatic. Most of them are doing it with me in the first place. We're all going to Genericon together! I'm the only con virgin, though. XD My friends from home don't know I'm cosplaying yet, but they're very supportive (mostly) and I'm sure they already know I'm full of hidden quirks. And whoever disapproves can suck it. =P

My other relatives: They'll be confused when I tell them. I'm the good kid, though, so I see no problem. Its just a hobby. My family is way quirkier than letting that bother them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:31 pm
My parents tend to think i'm a little too old for things like conventions, despite me constantly insisting it's nothing more than a bit of fun. As well as a hobby! Some of my friends don't know what to make of it.  

Rebel Nerd Alliance

Dangerous Hunter

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Chiisai Tenshii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:26 pm
My parents don't really care. XD I have to explain what "cosplay" means to my dad everytime I mention it. My mom knows it's a big thing to me but thinks I waste to much money (which is probably true).
My brother doesn't really care either, but likes hearing the stories I bring back.
My friends like hearing about it too~ Most of them go to cons with me... but I bring back pics and spill my guts about everything that happened... though it prbobably makes those friends jealous... XD

I try to avoid saying anything to my relatives. If I did, I'd have to explain what anime is, to start. D: Not going through all of that LOL.
Except something my uncle who kinda knows about it said...
Dad: Yeah, she's into that drawing anime and stuff.
Uncle: Well, atleast she's not dressing up and all that! Hahaha.
*silence*
Dad: ...Weeeeellllll... >>;

:3 It was pretty funny.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:37 pm
i dont know really i dont really talk about anime and manga and anime cons in front of people who arent into them hehe but theyll probably think that i was some dork or nerd but i wouldnt care O w O thats their problem that they think im wiered not mine  

ChibiiNoodle

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I believe my mom now has a thing against cosplayers. =_=;;;;;

This is the first time I've been home since I decided to work on cosplays. Last night I showed my mom pictures of who I was going to be at Genericon (Jacuzzi Splot from Baccano! and Ed from Cowboy Bebop) and she just said "mm hm" and "well" while looking at the pictures. (Particularly the Baccano! ones, but I figure it's because I was trying to explain the characters to her.) I didn't think anything of this until today. When I was mentioning how well some people do theirs, she told me that "those are people who have too much time on their hands." And she wouldn't listen when I said that's what some people do for a living, make the costumes, or that some people are just very talented with a sewing machine.

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff