Submit

ALLIGAT0R TEARS

Familiar Fairy

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 am
Wow... eek I thought my public school was bad, but atleast it has not accepted text speak yet. That is just disgusting that it even be considered. I love english and grammar. It's such a wonderful tool that should not succomb to the stupidity of today's youth. I may not be the best with using the English language, but I do try.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm
Oh my... Why in the world would a teacher accept work in text talk? I mean, I'm a teenager, I'm in highschool, and reading text talk hurts my brain. There are a few text-talk phrases that I've only just recently learned what they mean.

But, I digress. At my school, cell phones are not allowed between the hours of 8 A.M. and 3 P.M., though that doesn't stop people from texting in class. Thankfully, I have never seen someone write something for school in text-talk.

Then again, I'm in the advanced English class. So proper grammer and spelling have been ingrained into my mind, as they have been with most everyone in my class.

If I were a teacher and I got something with even five instances of text-talk, I would give a zero. Quite honestly, if you're going to take the time and effort to do the assignment, you should write it properly. And if you're going to waste your time and the teacher's with text-talk...just don't do the assignment and save both parties the trouble of dealing with it.

**Thank you for taking the time to read my very long, slightly rambling opinion. Have a good day and come back soon!**  

Kuro Ryuu Hime

Sexy Goat

22,500 Points
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
  • Building the Army 50
  • Alien Invasion 50

The Sweet Sadist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:27 pm
The smarter students from other countries get, the worse America students get and the shorter classes are for American students. No child left behind, that's because they're making it so that everyone in America will be stupid! I want to move to a new country to get proper education because America is slowing me down and is giving me a bad name as an American student!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:32 pm
Epic Bubblezz
The smarter students from other countries get, the worse America students get and the shorter classes are for American students. No child left behind, that's because they're making it so that everyone in America will be stupid! I want to move to a new country to get proper education because America is slowing me down and is giving me a bad name as an American student!

User ImageUser Image

Yesh, I have something to say.

I totally agree.

I guess we'll never know, because I forgot.

iDorkosaurous_Rex

Letter-W

Shy Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Epic Bubblezz
User Image

Come to Canada? xp

Ω

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:59 pm
I don't even text in text talk.

I don't know anyone who turns in their work with text talk, though.
They probably do.
I just haven't noticed.  

eccentricanomaly

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 am
O___e

English is my favorite subject in school, so hearing this makes me want to shoot someone. everyone wonders so many kids in our generation are illiterate.
...seems like a no-brainer to me
smh....
emo  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:41 am
[Lacrimosa]
Many schools have been encouraging teachers to allow students to turn in their homework and/or essays with text talk. My mother is a teacher in a middle school and has had many students attempt to turn in school work with text talk on it. She promptly hands it back and gives them zeros, of course. But she gets a lot of grief from those students, saying that they saw on the news that so and so school lets their students turn in their work with text talk.
What is your opinion of this?

Personally, I'm appalled. I am outright disgusted that instutions meant to better our youth's minds would encourage illiteracy amoungst them. The disregard to gammar and spelling and basic English syntax is just.... it's appalling, is what it is!
Anyways, discuss.
Text talk in schools...s**t like that.

That's just wrong!!!....text talk in schools! Turning in essays with text talk in it is just shows you aren't literate. Essays and paper have to be professional. In college, you aren't going to be able to turn in stuff like that either, not even in high school, at least where I go, it's just show illiteracy. Even when I text I don't use text talk...it's just not in my nature. What next, their going to use emoticons!

Just wondering: How will some of the teachers know what their talking about, because some of them might not know all the text talk.  

Charlotte Smith-Gubler

4,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:26 pm
Lol, I've never heard of that, but I don't have a phone so pretty much I can't read too much of it without getting headaches anyways! That's interesting. And kinda dumb. On the one hand, the internet is developing a sort of sub-language system, right? I guess, similair to the slang that's understood throughout many poorer cities. On the other, the purpose of a school is to teach to students the English language and to prepare them for university. Now, right now any university a kid using that went to would laugh. But I suppose teh English language is constantly developing and evolving, am I right? Hmm....Interesting.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 pm
Oh! Oh! I have found the most perfect song for the situation!!!! It is the song that Henry Higgins sings in My Fair Lady. It's the first one, "Why Can't the English?". Apply it to America these days, and this problem, and it is just perfect!

Why Can't the English?  

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

Fairee Lumineuse

6,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:23 am
Wtf? That's the most ridiculous thing ever! No school should EVER do that!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm
I'm curious as to the explanation that school boards are giving when pressuring teachers to accept incorrect work? I can understand not teaching cursive anymore (though I don't like it) because, realistically, it has become somewhat archaic. Anything formal is expected to be type written anymore. Most of my professors would not accept anything hand-written while I was in school. But the need to learn to communicate intelligibly? We didn't change the formatting of the sentence to go along with slang in any other generation, why would we now? There are rules to formal English for a reason, why discard them?

Now, in a lower-level English class, if a student turns in a paper with a few typos in text speak, I say count them as errors and move on. Overwhelming use would result in a zero. If you're in an advanced level class, however, you're expected to perform at that level. Are they going to accept text-speak on the AP test now? What about the writing section of the SAT? Regardless, if you turned in a resume or cover letter to a company with text speak on it, as most it would get passed around the board room for a good laugh, then canned. Not bothering to put the effort into sounding like an intelligent adult doesn't give a good first impression.

I just... I don't get it. I honestly don't. There has to be some sort of reasoning behind this... doesn't there? It's not just because of whiny parents who think that their child can do no wrong?  

AriaStarSong

thranduilien

Blessed Sex Symbol

6,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:45 am

♥׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º×

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

♥r a w r . . .♥
-seriously ? schools are encouraging
students to use text talk now?
oh mai gawd ... (pun intended)
that's just bad . . . very, very very bad

in my country, any student who dares give in
a project with text talk gets a death penalty.
-
User Image
○•○

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:03 pm
trendy_love23

♥׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º×

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

♥r a w r . . .♥
-seriously ? schools are encouraging
students to use text talk now?
oh mai gawd ... (pun intended)
that's just bad . . . very, very very bad

in my country, any student who dares give in
a project with text talk gets a death penalty.
-
User Image
○•○

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Not encouraging, allowing. I'm sure they dissapprove of it, but there's only so much you can do. I think one too many parents called in saying "OMG Y DID BOBE GT A 0?!?!?!?!?! IT WZ SO GD!!!"  

Azusanga

XHarmony_The_KH_LoverX

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:31 pm
Fully against. That's what we have email and printers for.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff