Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
canon or fic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanfic or canon?
  fanfic ^_^
  canon -.- (can you tell i'm biased? XD)
View Results

Percival Ignatius Weasley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:45 am
I must say that I prefer fanfiction over canon now. It most likely stems from the lack of depth in the actual books. If you want depth in fantasy literature, I suggest "Dragonlance Chronicles", "Dragonlance Legends", Dragonlance War of Souls", "Death Gate Cycle", "Wicked", "Son of a Witch", "Beauty", "Sunshine", "Spindle's End", and a variety of other titles. Fanfiction for Harry Potter gives it that depth. Shamefully, most of it is in the slash community. Or perhaps I'm biased since I've only read Stealing Harry and Laocoon's Children.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm
Call me a total and complete jackass, but what is canon?!

I liked Tonks/Remus....I didn't really like ANY of the pairings in the sixth besides that one. I mean, Ginny/Harry?

The personalities match, but COME ON, she looks just like his mom! He looks just like his dad! Its SO OBVIOUS they are going to have a son *or daughter* and its going to be then next 'boy/girl who lived'. GAWWWWW~.

zawazawaii

Teh.Little.One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm
GO SIRIUS/REMUS!!!1 heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:10 pm
Definitely prefer fanfics - slash and all the possibilities. ^^ After all, if I find a fic I don't like, I can always find one that I will like and is to my taste.

However, I will be reading the last Harry Potter book. Mainly because I cannot just stop reading a series when there's only one more book. I wanna see Rowling's version of the ending. xD But with fanfiction, I know the series will never truly end, so I'm fine with reading the last book. whee  

Ryasha

[ Linneh ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:19 am
I really think Rowling is a great author- I mean she has litterally created a world in our heads, and has done an awesome job putting the thoughts onto paper. The story and characters are so unique, and The books are really well written...

BUT! I have read a few fics that just totally blew me away (though I haven't actually read one I didn't like), and some are written sooo well. Also there's so many possibilities, and some fic authors are so creative with their ideas for plots, it amazes me.

Basically I really cannot decide which I like better. >< I am utterly torn..
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:56 pm
I love Rowling to death, don't get me wrong. But I prefer reading fanfiction, as things can happen in them that don't/can't happen in the canon.  

Ecclasius

HellsBitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:33 pm
Only reason I read the books is to know whats going on so I wont be completely and utterly lost when reading the fics. And if you hadnt predict it would be a Harry/Ginny that JK would do... Man, where have you been!?

But yeah, I prefer Fanfiction to the books. The fics have more depth, more details into the characters minds... and everything can happen. You would probably never have JK even considering putting Harry and Tom together, or Harry and Draco. Harry is the main character, so he kinda has to be hetro, even if she wanted him to be with a guy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:33 pm
HellsBitch
Only reason I read the books is to know whats going on so I wont be completely and utterly lost when reading the fics. And if you hadnt predict it would be a Harry/Ginny that JK would do... Man, where have you been!?

But yeah, I prefer Fanfiction to the books. The fics have more depth, more details into the characters minds... and everything can happen. You would probably never have JK even considering putting Harry and Tom together, or Harry and Draco. Harry is the main character, so he kinda has to be hetro, even if she wanted him to be with a guy.
In the next ten years, watch for a book by T.M.R. Berns. Main character is gay and it's fantasy so down with straight main characters.

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

DrakeTaylor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:08 pm
[.Tonks.Does.Pink.]
veneficusoccultus
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics...
I agree

ditto 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:33 pm
CosmicMoon
I like the slash. More than anything. I don't really like any of the characters that JK pairs up... and some deaths... *cough* sirius *cough* seemed... almost useless... unless *twinkling glimmer of hope* you know... JK seems to a lot of things for a reason. Right? *smack in the head* been in that mind too long. gonk

Getting back to the point, I never really liked Harry Potter too much. Ooh there were shocking endings... but never really much into.. it took a fan-made doujinshi to get me into them. So yeah, I'd have to say I prefer a well-made fanfic over the real thing.

ooooh doujinshi? where where? i've been dying to read some good ones whee  

jaded1004

Kakone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:34 pm
Yeah, I like fanfiction much better..... Slash pairings in particular. ninja I don't know. I think JK did put a lot of things in there people hadn't enjoyed. -Cough Sirius Death Cough- Nobody could've written it like she did, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 am
I really love the books, even if they aren't quite up to my reading level. I like her characters and the story and it provides an excellant base for fanfiction. I think the reason why people mostly prefer fanfiction is because the writing styles are more adult because, lets face it, Harry Potter is a children's book.

For me, fanfiction and the books are about equal. They're just different variations, you know? heart  

EmmaRaikou

ScarletPoppy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:25 am
*Laughs* Thats an interesting idea, but not really viable. Slash is primarily fiction compared to the Harry Potter books. In fanfiction we give Draco a lot more backbone then he actually has.

In the books harry is a good boy, a little whiney, but ultimately - he will always be with Ginny because she is a good person too. Draco will be a little cowardly bully as he always was. He may pull off something in the 7thy book, but frankly, I'm not holding my breath.

Fanfiction is all about writing the characters how we see them, but JK rowling writes them how they are supposed to be written.

~Poppy  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:27 am
i totally prefer fanfics to canon. so much more interesting, and it can please everyone! say you find Harry a bit selfish and annoying in canon. what you do is you go find this guy Jeconais, who's Harry Potter fanfics are most amazing by the way, his Harry being righteous, powerful, awesome and overall cool. course, if you hate the prissy Draco you go find a fanfic with him showing his "dominatrix" tendancies. theres always going to be a fanfic to suit your mood!  

Abbyabs

Lukitene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:05 am
kimika56
hikaridonya
Fanfiction, to be honest. Half Blood Prince dissapointed me terribly.

And I'm a big fan of the shoebox_project. Gotta love it. whee

shoebox project? What's that?
It's probably one of the best written Maurader's Era/ Remus/Sirius fic's on the web.  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff