Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
Straight People? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:46 am
Scarecrow Diablerie

If A is equal to B then all of A is equal to all of B.

The 'equal, or the same' argument still stands.
If A is equal to B, all of A must be equal to all of B
but: If all of A is equal to all of B, must all of A be THE SAME as B?

Do you have to treat two people the same to treat them equally? That's my point.
I say no.
In fact, I go so far as to say that if you treat two fundamentally different things the same, you must be treating them unequally.

XD the point of the scenario was to bring it into a different context, outside of social outcasting, etc.

Quote:
Socially, why do the groups need to treat each other differently, just because they eat differently?

In order to treat them equally.
treat two different people the same, and you are treating one unfairly, treat two social groups the same, and you will be doing the same.

Quote:
I'm saying specifically, socially, why do people feel the need to treat straights, gays, blacks, whites, hispanics, trans, hipsters, etc... differently, just because they 'identify' as part of a different 'cultural group'?

Because your social identity moulds your reactions and the kind of person you are (or the other way round).

Quote:
Also I dunno about you but I don't try to be friends with my music.

I like to make passionate love to my music razz

Quote:
And please don't assume that just because I think something is overly-complicated that I can't understand it, that's a baseless accusation.

You're right.
That was stupid of me,
Sorry.

Quote:
I'm not talking about "why do we need labels?" I'm talking about not treating someone like garbage or saying that people deserve the death penalty and torture just because they aren't exactly the same as you.

I've never advocated worse treatment.
I've advocated DIFFERENT treatment.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 am
I don't dislike straight people who discriminate against LGBT's.

As so many people have said already, it's got a lot to do with the fear of the unknown.

Perhaps not understanding how you can be different.

However I have found that a lot of straight people who are close to me are pretty accepting and don't make a deal out of it. (Such as my boyfriend).

But it has to be said that straight people who are so cruel about sexuality do annoy me.

I believe that if they actually spoke to the person and got to know them, they'd not find a different, alien person.. so yeah.. I suppose unaccepting people do annoy me. Especially as I can't even change their views on anything.

I just wish people were more educated.

Anyway, each person is allowed to have their own opinion on matters, but obviously discrimination is wrong and should stop.

Someone here also mentioned how society is becoming more open and accepting now-a-days which is true, and is a bit of a relief really. I think if society was still so uptight about sexuality, I'd not have told anyone my own person feelings.

PigsGoMooo

cajunantichrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am
thoughts on homophobes? They fun to mess with >:3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 pm
Most of my friends are gay. I don't disapprove of straight people. Just the ones that don't like homosexual people. I cannot stand a person who is closed minded!

What I really disapprove of is African American pastors that are against homosexuality. I am African American and all of us know the discrimination we went through just to get the same rights as white people.

In a way I feel like its initiation for America. Japanese people were discriminated against especially after Pearl Harbor. Today homosexuals and hispanics are being discriminated against. Yes I know it is taking a while for homosexuals to get accepted but it just takes time.  

keizzlefoshizzle

5,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Don Caballero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:49 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZY3h4ecx_k

I spend my time not caring of other peoples equality. If you arent cool with me than you aren't worth knowing in my opinion. So I just Jam out to this.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:19 pm
I just can't understand people who discriminate against LGBT people. I really can't. I mean, all my friends are more or less straight but they have absolutely no problem with accepting the fact that other people aren't. In fact it was less of an 'accepting' and more of honestly not caring whether I was gay, straight, blue, red or sporting extra arms.

But then I come across people who are blatantly anti-gay that it just confuses me. Why should it matter who a person is attracted to? I mean, if the person in question is rude or mean to you or your friends then, by all means, hate away but discrimination against people you know nothing about because of something they can't help is ridiculous.

It's like someone shouting abuse at you because you've got blonde hair or tan skin or long legs. A person's sexuality is a fundamental part of who they are for both straight and gay people and it plays a large part in defining their personalities and how they choose to live. The entire concept of hating someone for something as basic and uncontrollable as sexuality is baffling.

-  

Kelarks

Politics and Debates

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas