Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Searching for an active 3.5 campaign Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seiryna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:31 pm
aimike3

sad But I like beer! ROLL TO SEE IF I'M DRUNK!!

*sigh* fine. *rolls dice* yeah you're drunk.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 am
Are there any girls there?  

aimike3

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 am
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
aimike3
lol nice. im thinking about playing a wizard tho. the only reason im still playing 3.5 is the Hypertext manual. the moment WoTC lets people make hypertext versions of 4e, I'm upgrading! Either that or when I have enough $ for a rulebook. lol

going from 3.5 to 4th isn't upgrading <.<' it's more like down grading and playing a different game. XD D&D is slowly going from Role playing game to Roll Playing Game =x I've tried 4th and was like soo where is all the role playing feats O.o and stuff. and DM was like the what? and i'm like why is everything soo combat focused >.>' and he's like cause it's fun and people love combat...but that's JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION . Someone keeps trying to get me to play AD&D, but lol it seems way to restrictive for me, and not being able to read is bleh lol XD Hard Core Role Player XD sooo I'll stick to 3.5 =p
I wasn't aware one needed Feats to roleplay.

D&D has always been about combat and dicerolling your way out of EVERYTHING. 4E is just more streamlined, more simplified. Now you don't have 736 skills to determine whether or not you can jump or not, and feats are secondary but still helpful, as they should be. If you seriously can't roleplay whilst playing a 4E campaign, then you're not really getting the hang of P&P games. Plus, 4E made pure melee combatants actually good, which is great for everyone, since now they're a viable option. Hooray for Fighters actually being useful!

Jump is one check.

you should just do the D&D world a favor, and kill yourself for that statement. last time I checked. D&D was a ROLE PLAYING GAME. not a ROLL PLAYING GAME. I don't need the feats to role play. I like the feats that make the role playing better. just like the flaw system, I love it. Do I need it? no. do I love having it? yes. giving my char slight quirks and char. flaws just seems to flush them out a lot better. I've gained 8 levels in a game without ever engaging in combat. nor setting foot in a dungeon, or out of a town. there is also no skill, or feat I can think of that lets you just 'Roll your way out of everything' in any game I've played in, if you just said I'm rolling for X skill. *rolls an X* do I make it? the hand of god comes down and instantly kills your char. no saving throw allowed.
so no, D&D is not ALL about combat and dice rolling, cause god forbid, some of us actually like to Role Play in a Role Playing game.

also on a sidenote
"Haha I see why Seiryna is so pessimistic about starting games on Gaia. Currently, I am outside a gate waiting for the gaurds to open the gate for the caravan so I can cast Invisibility, sneak in, and hopefully find the treasure vault."

let me know how long that takes to resolve, and the outcome XD
No, you can roleplay WITHOUT D&D, heck, Gaians do it ALL the time. D&D is a rulebook that allows you to know whether or not you hit an enemy, or did a skill in and out of combat. Most D&D stuff revolves combat. Heck, one whole chapter is ABOUT combat! The only thing that's non-combat oriented are some skills, but the idea of D&D is giving you a challenge by adding dice rolling to most things.

I love roleplaying. It's my ONLY reason for joining Gaia, but before D&D, Gygax made Chainmail, which were stats and rules for LARPers, which is as much RP as you can get. D&D came after that, because people wanted an alternative to not just autohitting anything. Check AD&D, almost all of the skills are combat oriented, and the roleplay is done by the players themselves, with barely any help from the book.

I hate AD&D XD just for the "you can't read part" lol XD and I hate free form RPing, to much I auto hit, I god mode, I do this, I do that. I treat 3.5 as AD&D. I roleplay all my diplomacy/bluff checks, and yes sometimes one check will last over an hour real time. roleplay my slight of hand checks..etc..etc..
I play a fast talking, scheming, conniving, rogue whose main weapons are diplomacy and bluff.
and yeah there is one whole chapter about combat. but how many books/chapters are not just about combat?
how about the pages and pages of non combat spells?
Urban adventures? ever hear of them? maybe some people like the political aspect of a world. no where in any of your precious 'rule books' does it say D&D is only about rushing in to kill everything that stands XD
D&D is a story that takes place in a world. last time I checked a world is more then just a town with nothing more then a tavern and a dungeon outside of it. (Which is sadly the extant of most DMs thought capabilities seems to be now days....)
as a player I'm more interested in the world, and whats/going on in it, then just going from point A to point B killing everything in my way.
but that's just me and a very small group of other people. XD

Sidenote: but the idea of D&D is giving you a challenge by adding dice rolling to most things.
this is what makes the RPing so much more exciting, is the fatc you can't just say I do such and such, or I say such and such and the person believes me. even if I perfectly role play out a skill check like diplomacy. I could still roll a 1, and then what I just said has fallen on deaf ears. now I have to change my approach. do I try something else? or just give up?
also I don't hate you, or trying to say one way is better then the other. just kinda tired of people saying D&D has to be played ONE way. and if you're not saying that sorry, just seems like you are. XD
Nah, that's totally not what I'm saying. D&D is a very modular game, and you have so much freedom, it's near impossible to say 'well, the game is played like that', but saying 4E is taking a step back is outright fallacy. It has almost all the things 3.x has, and allows MORE freedom, thanks to races not having a negative score, which almost always limits people's characters, because making an Orc wizard IS taking a step back.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:54 am
aimike3
Due to the nature of the tavern, only gruff, angry, drunken berserkers, fighters and adventurers spend their time here. However, due to your drunken state, that one barbarian with fair, blond hair now looks like a pretty, petite blond woman. From what you can gather, she's COULD be enticing you to come over for a chat...or something else. But you're drunk, so ******** it. Your call.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 am
Keith Valken Lionheart
aimike3
Due to the nature of the tavern, only gruff, angry, drunken berserkers, fighters and adventurers spend their time here. However, due to your drunken state, that one barbarian with fair, blond hair now looks like a pretty, petite blond woman. From what you can gather, she's COULD be enticing you to come over for a chat...or something else. But you're drunk, so ******** it. Your call.

what about female adventurers? I love taverns as a rogue >.>' alcohol is a wonderful thing, won't touch the stuff personally, but its great for getting people to tell you things they don't want to. buying people drinks, also a good way to get them to like you. not only that but drunk people are easier to steal from, hell sometimes they'll just give you their stuff XD

Keith Valken Lionheart

Nah, that's totally not what I'm saying. D&D is a very modular game, and you have so much freedom, it's near impossible to say 'well, the game is played like that', but saying 4E is taking a step back is outright fallacy. It has almost all the things 3.x has, and allows MORE freedom, thanks to races not having a negative score, which almost always limits people's characters, because making an Orc wizard IS taking a step back.

I like the fact races have a negative score tho =x it makes it more umm believable? why should the Orc be just as good as an Elf when it comes to magic? they're not made for it. if you want to play an Orc wizard in 3.5, it just means you'll have to try a little harder then the Elf. It's not a step backwards you're just looking to hard at the stats, and not at the role playing aspect =p so sure he may not statistically be be as good a wizard as an elf, but as for role playing value, he could be better then the elf. a lowly Orc trying to grasp the concept of magic, and prove that not all Orcs are big dumb brutes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
aimike3

what about female adventurers? I love taverns as a rogue >.>' alcohol is a wonderful thing, won't touch the stuff personally, but its great for getting people to tell you things they don't want to. buying people drinks, also a good way to get them to like you. not only that but drunk people are easier to steal from, hell sometimes they'll just give you their stuff XD
If your Rogue enjoys being hit on by drunken, old, bald Dwarves and fat humans, then by all means, enter the tavern. I must warn though, they're VERY drunk.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 am
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
aimike3

If your Rogue enjoys being hit on by drunken, old, bald Dwarves and fat humans, then by all means, enter the tavern. I must warn though, they're VERY drunk.

(edited last one)

and the drunker the better! *enters* tonight is gonna be a good night >=3  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
aimike3

Keith Valken Lionheart

I like the fact races have a negative score tho =x it makes it more umm believable? why should the Orc be just as good as an Elf when it comes to magic? they're not made for it. if you want to play an Orc wizard in 3.5, it just means you'll have to try a little harder then the Elf. It's not a step backwards you're just looking to hard at the stats, and not at the role playing aspect =p so sure he may not statistically be be as good a wizard as an elf, but as for role playing value, he could be better then the elf. a lowly Orc trying to grasp the concept of magic, and prove that not all Orcs are big dumb brutes.
It might be good for character fluff and flavor, but it also encourages minmaxing mentality. Why should I make an orc wizard when I could make an elf wizard? What makes Orcs not as intelligent as elves? At least in 4th you can make a viable wizardly orc, and give him an 8 or 10 in a stat, which could be use as flavor.

Also, aren't there Orc wizards in the MM books?  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am
Keith Valken Lionheart

It might be good for character fluff and flavor, but it also encourages minmaxing mentality. Why should I make an orc wizard when I could make an elf wizard? What makes Orcs not as intelligent as elves? At least in 4th you can make a viable wizardly orc, and give him an 8 or 10 in a stat, which could be use as flavor.

to be different. why shouldn't you make an Orc wizard? everyone can make/play an elf wizard. but how many people play an Orc wizard? and what makes them less intelligent is how they're brought up. they're a barbaric primitive race who would rather fight each other, then learn something, where elves would rather learn something then fight. so an Orc wizard would be fighting against natural instincts, and stigma.
also the difference between an elf and an orc is a saving throw of only +2 in favor of the elf, which isn't really all that much, specially at higher levels. and lets take in to account that most direct damage spells don't allow for saves, or reflex save for half. but that's just my thoughts XD personally I'd never play one, just cause Orcs are ugly >=/

I'll stick to my Felid and Aasimar characters. XD
and the occasional elf...

as for the MM it says Orc Spellcasters prefer adept classes and clerics, and pick spells that deal direct damage.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart

to be different. why shouldn't you make an Orc wizard? everyone can make/play an elf wizard. but how many people play an Orc wizard? and what makes them less intelligent is how they're brought up. they're a barbaric primitive race who would rather fight each other, then learn something, where elves would rather learn something then fight. so an Orc wizard would be fighting against natural instincts, and stigma.
also the difference between an elf and an orc is a saving throw of only +2 in favor of the elf, which isn't really all that much, specially at higher levels. and lets take in to account that most direct damage spells don't allow for saves, or reflex save for half. but that's just my thoughts XD personally I'd never play one, just cause Orcs are ugly >=/

as for the MM it says Orc Spellcasters prefer adept classes and clerics, and pick spells that deal direct damage.
It also affects the spells you can cast at a certain level, as in, with Int 11 you can cast level 1 Spells, Int 2 level 2, etc.

But yeah, you're right. Though he won't be as useful in combat, and he might or might not be useful outside combat.

And have you seen the orcs in 4th? I have a mancrush on the orc in the pic.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

aimike3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 pm
Okay, but if there are any girls there, I wanna DO them!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

It also affects the spells you can cast at a certain level, as in, with Int 11 you can cast level 1 Spells, Int 2 level 2, etc.

unless you're one of those people that take a 10 in every stat cause they think it's cool, this wont be a problem.

Keith Valken Lionheart

But yeah, you're right. Though he won't be as useful in combat, and he might or might not be useful outside combat.

not even gonna wast my time with this one -.-'

Keith Valken Lionheart

wth is with guys and having a thing for Orcs ><
My Cleric.
My Rogue.
Orcs will never be as cute as either one of those chars. >=/

Seiryna

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 pm
aimike3
Okay, but if there are any girls there, I wanna DO them!
You end up 'seducing' the pretty, blond girl. You black out, waking up 2 days later shackled to a wall, with a metal ball in your mouth, fastened by leather straps around your head. You feel slight pain and and uncomfortable feeling in the netheregions, which makes you realize that you're... in a bad position.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

unless you're one of those people that take a 10 in every stat cause they think it's cool, this wont be a problem.

Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

My Cleric.
My Rogue.
While those characters are cute and all, they're not as outright sexy as these.

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seiryna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seiryna
Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

Keith Valken Lionheart

My Cleric.
My Rogue.
While those characters are cute and all, they're not as outright sexy as these.

Those are also Half orcs =p not Full Orcs >.>

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces