Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
ADnD: Temple of Elemental Evil Recruiting 4/6 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:13 pm
Are there bards? Are they well-rounded? 3e bards can do a lot of things, not just sing and play lutes; how are they in 2e (if they exist at all, that is)? I might play a swordfighting, storytelling entertainer bard.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:09 pm
There are definitely bards.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:43 pm
Please note that I will not be allowing multiclassing, as I'm new to DMing 2e.

Anyways, The Bard.

Ability Requirements: Dex 12, Int 13, Cha 15
Prime Stats: Dex, Cha
Races Allowed: Human, Half-elf.

Bards can use any weapon, unlike the thief, can wear up to chainmail, but cannot use a shield.

All bards are proficient singers, chanters, or vocalists and can play a musical instrument of the player's choice. For each Non-weapon Proficienty slot spent, he can learn two new instruments.

The bard also know some wizard spells. Like a wizard, intelligence determines number of spells he can know and the chance to know any given spell. They're kept in a spell book abiding by all the restrictions on memorization and spell use that bind a wizard, especially the prohibition of armor. Hence a bard will normally use his spells more to entertain and impress than to fight.

Since bards are dabblers in magic instead of full time wizards, their spells tend to be gained by serendipity and happenstance. in no case can a bard choose to specialize in a school of magic. Beginning bards do not have a selection of spells. They can add spells to their books as they find them, but do not gain spells as they level.

Spell Progression:

Bard Level
1: -
2: 1st: 1
3: 1st: 2
4: 1st: 2, 2nd: 1
5: 1st: 3, 2nd: 1
6: 1st: 3, 2nd: 2
7: 1st: 3, 2nd: 2, 3rd: 1
8: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 1
9: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 2
10: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 2, 4th: 1
11: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 1
12: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 2
13: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 2, 5th: 1
14: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 1
15: 1st: 3, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 2
16: 1st: 4, 2nd: 3, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 2, 6th: 1
17: 1st: 4, 2nd: 4, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 3, 6th: 1
18: 1st: 4, 2nd: 4, 3rd: 4, 4th: 3, 5th: 3, 6th: 2
19: 1st: 4, 2nd: 4, 3rd: 4, 4th: 4, 5th: 3, 6th: 2
20: 1st: 4, 2nd: 4, 3rd: 4, 4th: 4, 5th: 4, 6th: 3

Bard Abilities: 20 points at 1st, 15/level (no more than half can be spent on a skill)
Climb Walls: 50%
Detect Noise: 20%
Pick Pockets: 10%
Read Languages: 5%

The bard can attempt to influence groups of NPCs by performing before a group that is not attacking. Everyone in the group rolls vs paralyzation. Die roll is modified by -1 for every three experience levels of the bard (round down). If the save fails, the group's reaction shifts 1 level toward either friendly or hostile, at the player's decision. Those who succeed, have their reactions shifted to the opposite end.

The bard can also inspire, rallying friends and allies. If the exact nature of the threat is known, the bard can heroically inspire his companions, granting a +1 to attack rolls, or +1 to saving throws, or +2 to morale, to those in melee. The bard must spend 3 rounds singing or reciting before the battle begins. Affects those withing 10 ft per experience level. Lasts 1 round/level. can't be renews in the same battle.

Countersong: Characters within 30 feet of the bard are immune to the attack of magical song and poetry. The bard can perform no other action, except walk slowly. If he is struck or fails a saving throw, the effect ends.

Bardic Knowledge: All bards can read and write their native tongue and all know local history for free. Bards have a 5% chance per experience elvel to identify the general purpose and function of any magical item. the bard need not handle the item, but must examine it closely. Even if successful, the exact function of the item is not revealed, only it's general nature.

You gain an items history and background.

At 9th level, the bard can build a stronghold and attract followers. He attracts 10d6 0th level soldiers into his service. They arrive over a period of time, but are not automatically replaced if lost in battle.

At 10th level, he can attempt to use magical devices of written nature - scrolls, books, ect. there is a 15% chance that he reads the item incorrectly and it's effect is reverse.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:58 pm
I could get behind that, I think. Do humans have any special characteristics? What do half-elves get?  

KamikaziFreak

Arc Vembris rolled 12 6-sided dice: 1, 3, 1, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 5, 1, 4 Total: 34 (12-72)

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm
Any class that requires a certain race, one of those races will be human. Several classes are available only to humans in fact. Humans also have no levels caps on any class, but that won't likely be an issue here.

Now some stats so the game can tell me what to play:
Str 8
Dex 11
Con 11  
Arc Vembris rolled 12 6-sided dice: 1, 4, 1, 4, 1, 1, 2, 6, 1, 1, 3, 6 Total: 31 (12-72)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Int 9
Wis 9
Cha 10

So really my options are wide open

Since we're looking at a thief and a bard, and I hate wizards in this edition, especially at level 1, I'll be a cleric.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 pm
Uh... Arc... I'm going going to let you reroll that second one... I've never seen so many 1s...

Also, I'll post up half-elves in a second. Humans get the delightful ability to multiclass whenever. But the thing is, once you choose a new class, you have to level it to the other class's level before you can take the first class again.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:02 pm
Half Elves have a 30% resistance to sleep and all

charm-related effects.
Infravision 60ft
Passing within 10ft of a concealed door gives the

half-elf a 1 in 6 chance of spotting it.
If actively seeking a hidden door, he has a 1 in 3

chance of spotting a secret door, or a 1 in 2

chance of locating a concealed one.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm
Since you said you're not allowing multiclassing, it sounds like there's no game benefit to being a human. We've already got a half-elf though, so that's not as interesting. Hmm.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:49 pm
I will allow the human multiclassing, since that's still single class a level. It's the multiple classes getting exp at the same time thing that I am not ready for.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:51 pm
But... it should be noted, at least I think, that when multiclassing as a human, you can't access the other class's powers till you hit the same level.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm
I probably won't multiclass, so that's not actually a big consideration. I don't really know the flavor of second edition, so it's hard to say which race I'd like more. I might go with human just because I know exactly what I'm getting.  

KamikaziFreak

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm
Up to you.

Also, everyone roll 1d100. You'll get a set of free non-weapon proficiencies as a 'background skill' you've picked up.

Or maybe only 1.. or none.  
Deadusernamelol rolled 1 100-sided dice: 34 Total: 34 (1-100)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 pm
Ha ha. You're welcome.

Deadusernamelol

KamikaziFreak rolled 1 100-sided dice: 81 Total: 81 (1-100)

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Weapons!  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out