Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Fantastic Realities [4E] - Recruitment 6/6 [FULL] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 pm
Here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking of calling a Reserve Slot. But, there's two characters I could play.

Technically, by the pitch of the game, I should be a Paladin, because it most closely reflects myself as a real person. I'm pretty much done that sheet.

But with classes that are called, we have the Bard, Swordmage, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard. This would put us at 3 defenders. I'd be acting almost as a second leader kind of, but we'd be lacking in the striker department.

Which brings me to my other character choice. Rain Yupa is a OC of mine for about 13 years now, and without question, he'd be a Monk. If I implemented my Rain personality rather than my Rob personality, it would give us a second striker to help damage output, and less chance of everyone tripping over each other's marks.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 pm
Rain Yupa
Here's my dilemma.

I'm thinking of calling a Reserve Slot. But, there's two characters I could play.

Technically, by the pitch of the game, I should be a Paladin, because it most closely reflects myself as a real person. I'm pretty much done that sheet.

But with classes that are called, we have the Bard, Swordmage, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard. This would put us at 3 defenders. I'd be acting almost as a second leader kind of, but we'd be lacking in the striker department.

Which brings me to my other character choice. Rain Yupa is a OC of mine for about 13 years now, and without question, he'd be a Monk. If I implemented my Rain personality rather than my Rob personality, it would give us a second striker to help damage output, and less chance of everyone tripping over each other's marks.

Thoughts?

If you lean toward a strength build and a twohander weapon, you can build a slaughterdin. A very close compromise is a str-based cleric, or a runepriest. The fighter is already stated as a heavy-damage secondary striker fighter. The other option is to build an Avenger or a barbarian with a religious bent.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm
I assume that the fighter you mentioned is me? Coz that's what I said I'd play, but after, literally three hours of trying to make a character that suited me (apparently I don't know myself at all) I've finally nailed it down to a human psion. So that gives us a leader (bard), defender (swordmage), striker (rogue) and two controllers (psion, wizard). I know controller is probably the least helpful role to double up on, but who gives?

Like you said Rain, if you played a Paladin, you would not only be a great defender, but you'd help out on the healing duties as well. Which is always useful with 6 heroes to keep at full strength. Aaaand, since we have two squishy controllers, having another defender would definitly help to keep us safe from harm. On the other hand, we maaaay end up slightly light on the damage front, and a monk would give us a bit of a boost. But, the Paladin PC in my RL campaign packs a hell of a fookin' punch anyway, and is a damn good healer, lay on hands ftw. So, my advice is play Rob, play a Paladin, but the decision is of course down to you.

(by the by Joe, my human Psion will be posted soon)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm
I've never been dissatisfied with defenders damage output, but I know it CAN lack compared to that of strikers, if they aren't tricked out for it. And my Paladin would not be.

Knowing there's only 2 defenders, I'm not so worried about the marking issue anymore. I've found that 2 defenders work well, because when they encounter a single powerful enemy, they can take turns holding its attention without being overshadowed by one another.

With two controllers, I think it would indeed be a good idea to have the paladin as well now.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:44 pm
Awesome!

That's everyone. As soon as I fix my laptop, I'll get on the audits. Rain, would you like to use your new found power to make a subforum? Game name Fantastic Realities. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:55 pm
It depends. Have you considered trying my virus-fixing suggestion? mad

Also, I would rather have a reserve slot, so someone newer to the guild can have more of an opportunity to join. I dunno when you were going to close registration.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:05 am
Sorry, already fixed it with my friend's suggested program. >.< Thanks anyways though. Also put you onto the reserve slot. I'll give people until all character sheets have been audited, and if I get no one then you can be in the party. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:35 am
I just got one question though & I think I made a misread.
I'm not sure if I am able to have my staff of defense, my implement master, in my inventory as soon as I get reborn.
I just need to be sure because I didn't see it hinted on PHB1 about as a wizard if you have the chosen mastered implement in your inventory.
By the way, spoiler: I intend on making this build like my first controller I've ever made: Frost Mage (with a few fire spells only because I really don't have any good blast attacks that are cold at the start).
Also, I'd think having a dwarf in this case would be a good idea if it was a defender or healer (cleric especially) because it can tank well & its high wisdom will aid us in the long run.
That's just me though despite I can't run a dwarf other than a cleric for s***.
I'll be honest with you, you do not want me to be a defender except maybe battlemind.  

Drag0nK1d

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 pm
Here is Ryan Stevens, the Human Psion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm
Drag0nK1d
I'm not sure if I am able to have my staff of defense, my implement master, in my inventory as soon as I get reborn.
I just need to be sure because I didn't see it hinted on PHB1 about as a wizard if you have the chosen mastered implement in your inventory.

The types of Implement Mastery options for wizards aren't actually items or equipment. They are ways to use your chosen implement in a more effective way.

If you choose Staff of Defense, you gain +1 to AC and bonus to defense 1/encounter whenever you wield a staff. It can be mundane or magical.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Drag0nK1d

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:49 am
Rain Yupa
Drag0nK1d

The types of Implement Mastery options for wizards aren't actually items or equipment. They are ways to use your chosen implement in a more effective way.

If you choose Staff of Defense, you gain +1 to AC and bonus to defense 1/encounter whenever you wield a staff. It can be mundane or magical.

I had a small feeling that was going to be the case.
Thanks for the clarification.
Edit: scrap that. I just realized how bad the bonus will be to my defense because it only grants me a +1 due to poor constitution, so I'm going with wand of Accuracy or orb of imposition because I am building a frost mage with more likely leading towards a war one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 pm
Background added. Also, changed deities upon realizing that I'm a lunaphile more than an animal lover.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 am
Arc - The Changeling Swordmage
The Audit

You're character looks perfect to me. mrgreen

Just need a background and then you're done. It only really needs to be just before getting put into the new world and what you've done since living in the new world, though go as in depth/as little in depth as you want.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 am
Dragon - The Elf Wizard
The Audit

Firstly, your stats are way to high. On the build you're on, your left over points are -8. If you want that +4 intelligence with an Elf you'll REALLY have to sacrifice your other stats. Your call though.

I notice you're using the PHB variant of Magic Missile. In case you didn't know, it's been errata'd to be more like the 3.5 Magic Missile. Now it's auto hit, but less damage. It's 2+int mod+weapon enhancement. You can use either, just thought I'd point it out.

Don't forget to write down you gold. Wizards get a spellbook for free, which means you have a whooping 92g left. Might want to use some of that on a Standard Adventure's Kit or maybe some Residuum so you can perform your rituals?

Elves have Low Light vision.

You have your HP right, but I've decided I'm not going to let you start play with 210THP. lol  

joe-dude667

Drag0nK1d

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 am
Sorry bout that. Just saw it.
Firefox glitched on me & while I was making changes on my ranger it glitched & gave my char 200+ hp.
As for my stats, that was a simple misread. I'm on it right now.
And wait... magic missle is now an auto-hit? Didn't realize that.
I'm fixing it right now.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces