Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:10 pm
Akari_32
African Cichlids are best only with other African Chichlds, and other large fish that can defend themselves. Plus they need rather large tanks.

The big Betta you saw was probly a King Betta. They get around 4 inches and are like their smaller counter parts in attitude. Some times communities work with them, some times they dont. Cute though. I saw a really nice looking one today at the worlds worst PetCo. He had splashed water EVERYWHERE in his little cubby-shelf and everything was soaked lol

fine, cichlids are out lol. But I still think the Imbellis was properly identified. Just because it was in a tank with another fish. Vs. all other betta's in these lil boxes in the wall.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:03 pm
Quick advice add whatever fish you pick SLOW just because you decide on 1 of this and 4 of that and 2 of that and even though they can all go together DONT get them all at once. Your just gonna get an ammonia spike and most of the fish will die. if you end up with a 30 only get two or three fish to start and let it run with them for two weeks or more.

One thing I found out about sand is its EVIL to siphon, not impossible, but since you said your new at fish keeping I would avoid it. Also DONT use the play sand, even with washing it your still getting chemicals that are harmful to the fish. and its the wrong type it will never fully settle when you add water.

As for cute easy fish look at all the different platys, and tetras. in addition to the painted ones you looked at i love the hi-fin guys. oh and cardinal tetras are so pretty! (wouldnt start your tank with them though they are alittle sensitive and tend to do better in an established tank)

Also most of the fish your looking at are pretty advanced, so keep that in mind if you get them. not that you cant have them just that they will be more work, and take more specialized care. In addition to looking at fish size and temperament dont forget to look at things like their diet. My bottom feeding guys get fresh zucchini.

you CAN put all the cute bottom guys in the same take it just has to be big enough, my friend has a 90gal with a pair of bristlenose's (who just had babies two months ago (no fear on over population she got the babies new homes and moved the rest to another tank she has)) a female clown, and some peppered cories. wouldnt do that in a 30 though, lol.

WATCH your bottom guys, most do not have a slime coat so they are very VERY sensitive to things like nitrates (and nitrites) aquarium salt and others. I love the otos for my 10gal, also loved the snails, but lost a few before I found out my city water had high copper levels (which copper test is not in a stander water test, lol) To be fair I LOVE all the bottom guys, so i'm alittle obsess with them. going to get one of my friends baby bristles when she finds out if any of the ones left are a male. i'm also setting up a 20g just for him (which is sitting in my basement) between now and then.

I like akari's comment, cichlids are pretty but they are evil (aggressive) and not for a beginner i'm glad your looking at other fish.

As for the filter you said you may need, I LOVE love my aquaclear, i also know alot of people who like the one with the bio wheel (marineland).

Vanilla eXee- That is not true for all pet stores, two of the main chain stores are payed by the hour so they get money even if they dont sell you fish. The issue I found is most petstores have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to fish. "you wanna put a guppy, 4 goldfish and a bala shark in that 10g sure it will be great!" gonk

wow i fear i've typed to much SORRY for the wall of text.... i just like fish...

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm
HATE cichlids. For years that is all my dad would get in his tanks. They were pretty, and fun to see the little matching mated pairs, but I hated the way they constantly chased and nipped at each other. Vile little things.

Never mind that my dad, for all his enthusiasm setting UP tanks correctly, would then completely neglect the thing from then on and the fish would starve to death if I didn't intervene. So I was always taking care of these mean fish I hated because I couldn't stand to think they might die under my care.

Okay, so I guess I shouldn't blame the whole situation on the hateful little fish. It was mostly yet another reason me and Padre do not get along. But they just hold bad bad memories for me growing up.  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am
How's it going Gaby?  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:10 am
Levina-jade
Quick advice add whatever fish you pick SLOW just because you decide on 1 of this and 4 of that and 2 of that and even though they can all go together DONT get them all at once. Your just gonna get an ammonia spike and most of the fish will die. if you end up with a 30 only get two or three fish to start and let it run with them for two weeks or more.

One thing I found out about sand is its EVIL to siphon, not impossible, but since you said your new at fish keeping I would avoid it. Also DONT use the play sand, even with washing it your still getting chemicals that are harmful to the fish. and its the wrong type it will never fully settle when you add water.

As for cute easy fish look at all the different platys, and tetras. in addition to the painted ones you looked at i love the hi-fin guys. oh and cardinal tetras are so pretty! (wouldnt start your tank with them though they are alittle sensitive and tend to do better in an established tank)

Also most of the fish your looking at are pretty advanced, so keep that in mind if you get them. not that you cant have them just that they will be more work, and take more specialized care. In addition to looking at fish size and temperament dont forget to look at things like their diet. My bottom feeding guys get fresh zucchini.

you CAN put all the cute bottom guys in the same take it just has to be big enough, my friend has a 90gal with a pair of bristlenose's (who just had babies two months ago (no fear on over population she got the babies new homes and moved the rest to another tank she has)) a female clown, and some peppered cories. wouldnt do that in a 30 though, lol.

WATCH your bottom guys, most do not have a slime coat so they are very VERY sensitive to things like nitrates (and nitrites) aquarium salt and others. I love the otos for my 10gal, also loved the snails, but lost a few before I found out my city water had high copper levels (which copper test is not in a stander water test, lol) To be fair I LOVE all the bottom guys, so i'm alittle obsess with them. going to get one of my friends baby bristles when she finds out if any of the ones left are a male. i'm also setting up a 20g just for him (which is sitting in my basement) between now and then.

I like akari's comment, cichlids are pretty but they are evil (aggressive) and not for a beginner i'm glad your looking at other fish.

As for the filter you said you may need, I LOVE love my aquaclear, i also know alot of people who like the one with the bio wheel (marineland).

Vanilla eXee- That is not true for all pet stores, two of the main chain stores are payed by the hour so they get money even if they dont sell you fish. The issue I found is most petstores have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to fish. "you wanna put a guppy, 4 goldfish and a bala shark in that 10g sure it will be great!" gonk

wow i fear i've typed to much SORRY for the wall of text.... i just like fish...

Play sand is perfectly fine to use - the quikrete brand I've found as the best to use for fish tanks. I've never come across a play sand with chemicals in it, play sand is meant for small children, children put things in their mouths, how stupid would it be to put toxic chemicals in it? The reason you wash it is not for chemical removal, it's to get rid of the dust. After a proper washing, and slowly adding the sand, it often settles right away. Never had a problem with it not settling, except my very first time using it because I didn't get all of the dust out. And even then, it settled after a few days. As for cleaning a tank with sand, you're not supposed to do it the same way as you do with gravel. You don't stick the siphon all the way in, you pick up the debris from the top of the sand. Most of the debris will lay right on top, rather than falling under like it does with gravel.

As for the pet stores, yes, most pet store employees get paid an hourly rate rather than commission, but they are coached about sell, sell, sell. I've worked for a major chain pet store. You will meet your knowledgeable people who really try to help, but most of the time you'll meet someone who's trying to make a sale.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:00 pm
Akari_32
How's it going Gaby?

Perty gooood. I found me a tank, yay me. Iz you back on gaia?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas