i has a hound!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am
Is she just looking miserable, or is she disturbing the neighbors?

I would say try to wait out the crying, then when she stops, go out and praise her. Also try leaving her with something to do. Like a really tasty bone, maybe hide her food in the lawn. You can also maybe work your way up to leaving her alone. Like... if you left the door open, but the screen door or a baby gate there so she could still see you.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Is she just looking miserable, or is she disturbing the neighbors?

I would say try to wait out the crying, then when she stops, go out and praise her. Also try leaving her with something to do. Like a really tasty bone, maybe hide her food in the lawn. You can also maybe work your way up to leaving her alone. Like... if you left the door open, but the screen door or a baby gate there so she could still see you.

just miserable, not much crying but a little and no barking, she mostly just lays by the door or sits on the steps until i open the door

and its a glass door and the room has tons of windows so she can see me no matter where i am in the back room. and i cant put up just a baby gate becasue of the cats. im sure they wont try to go outside if im not with them but i dont want to chance it  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:42 am
Gaby, the DNA tests are bunk. I do nail trims on a blue merle, Pit Bull length hair dog that looks like a Catahoula/Pit mix. His DNA test came back as Golden Retriever, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Glen of Imaal Terrier. All long haired dogs with no merle. neutral

Also, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

Shanna, being uncomfortable outside alone doesn't necessarily mean she was abandoned, she's just not used to it. Riddle has never been abandoned, but we don't have a fenced yard, so she's never been left out alone. She totally cries, turkey warbles, and huddles at the door if we leave her out for a minute while at a friend's that has a yard.

Gaby gave you some good tips on getting her used to it. But, to be honest, I don't really believe in leaving dogs out unattended anyway. Far too many bad things happen to dogs alone outside.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 am
Savage Destiny
Gaby, the DNA tests are bunk. I do nail trims on a blue merle, Pit Bull length hair dog that looks like a Catahoula/Pit mix. His DNA test came back as Golden Retriever, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Glen of Imaal Terrier. All long haired dogs with no merle. neutral

Also, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

Shanna, being uncomfortable outside alone doesn't necessarily mean she was abandoned, she's just not used to it. Riddle has never been abandoned, but we don't have a fenced yard, so she's never been left out alone. She totally cries, turkey warbles, and huddles at the door if we leave her out for a minute while at a friend's that has a yard.

Gaby gave you some good tips on getting her used to it. But, to be honest, I don't really believe in leaving dogs out unattended anyway. Far too many bad things happen to dogs alone outside.

true. her past is a mystery to us and it may just be that she got out and her owners never updated their information or something

but it would be nice if she went out alone at night when akk the biting bugs are out. i hate standing out there and getting eaten xp  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am
The whining sounds like typical velcro, dependent, handler orientated type dog behavior. Only risk you have is that she could develop a more sever form of separation anxiety. Does she whine if you lock her in a separate room/her crate in the house and leave that area? As already mentioned, you don't want to let her have her way when she is whining. Look for the quiet seconds within the whining/barking to go back to her. As mentioned you can treat or praise the quiet moments but you have to be careful. Clever dogs will learn to bark, then stop, wait for their goodies, then rinse and repeat. You have to be careful with what behaviors they are really picking up.

With separation type anxiety rather than treat the silence or even praise the silence I instead like to keep things low key and like they are no big deal. I will wait for the quiet to return, but when I do I tend to ignore the dog for a good 5-10 minutes till I feel they are utterly relaxed. You don't want to create a build up about how much better things are when you reappear because that can feed in to the anxiety of being left alone.

Personally, I am with Savage about not leaving a dog outside unattended. If you would simply like her to be able to run out and go to the bathroom without you on her heals that is very trainable. Start introducing a potty word when you take her out and say it as she starts to go. I like, hurry up as a generic command since it doesn't sound embarrassing to say when out in public. I also however do use the word poo and pee and taught them separately for specifics because there are times when Kirby does one and I know he still needs to do the other so I can send him back out and he knows specifically what I am asking for. First you build up the command while there with her.

After she learns what the words mean you can move back to sending her out and watching from a distance, then from the door while it is partially opened, to eventually having her go out while you stand behind the safety of the glass during the bug hours of night.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 pm
Krissim Klaw
The whining sounds like typical velcro, dependent, handler orientated type dog behavior. Only risk you have is that she could develop a more sever form of separation anxiety. Does she whine if you lock her in a separate room/her crate in the house and leave that area? As already mentioned, you don't want to let her have her way when she is whining. Look for the quiet seconds within the whining/barking to go back to her. As mentioned you can treat or praise the quiet moments but you have to be careful. Clever dogs will learn to bark, then stop, wait for their goodies, then rinse and repeat. You have to be careful with what behaviors they are really picking up.

With separation type anxiety rather than treat the silence or even praise the silence I instead like to keep things low key and like they are no big deal. I will wait for the quiet to return, but when I do I tend to ignore the dog for a good 5-10 minutes till I feel they are utterly relaxed. You don't want to create a build up about how much better things are when you reappear because that can feed in to the anxiety of being left alone.

Personally, I am with Savage about not leaving a dog outside unattended. If you would simply like her to be able to run out and go to the bathroom without you on her heals that is very trainable. Start introducing a potty word when you take her out and say it as she starts to go. I like, hurry up as a generic command since it doesn't sound embarrassing to say when out in public. I also however do use the word poo and pee and taught them separately for specifics because there are times when Kirby does one and I know he still needs to do the other so I can send him back out and he knows specifically what I am asking for. First you build up the command while there with her.

After she learns what the words mean you can move back to sending her out and watching from a distance, then from the door while it is partially opened, to eventually having her go out while you stand behind the safety of the glass during the bug hours of night.

already doing the potty command as so far so good.

she wines for a minute in her cage at night then lays down, other than that no sounds from her. she only acts depressed when she is outside alone  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers