Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes
Harajuku Style ~ Can I pull it off in the US? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gas powered stick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm
I think it's cute.
It might depend on how you look.
But honestly, it shouldn't matter what you wear.
Who cares what people think of your appearance?
As long as you feel comfortable.
I hope it works out well for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Seems like it would take a lot of work to pull off. If you have the money and motivation to do it, go for it!  

kyra-san

Shirtless Stalker

Illegitimate Princess

Intellectual Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:35 pm
The first pic is freakin cute:]
My style is a toned down variation of Gothic lolita.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am
Personally, my favorite japanese style is lolita, but I like decora. Tone it down a bit, and you will be fine.  

Delicate Violets

Beloved Prophet

6,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Millionaire 200

R0C0C0

High-functioning Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 am
Now I don't live in The States or wear Decora.... I live in Denmark and wear Sweet Lolita (The pink fluffy version of gothic lolita)
But Denmark is a very small country, and there's generally not a lot of us, and even fewer wear it every day (Me included sadly, but I am working on getting more casual lolita dresses and skirts so I can wear it as much as I want to)

So on one side I'd say: Go for it, don't give a flying f*ck about what people thinks of your clothes, as long as you like them

On the other side: Tone it down a little if you want to be a working adult eventually, it's fine to wear a full decora set when you're home and free, but no one would hire you if you were full decora on work :3 (But hey, these things can be worked around, you can still wear your favorite shirt, skirt and a few hair clips, without people looking at you weird smile )  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:40 pm
Kyomu Magia
Now I don't live in The States or wear Decora.... I live in Denmark and wear Sweet Lolita (The pink fluffy version of gothic lolita)
But Denmark is a very small country, and there's generally not a lot of us, and even fewer wear it every day (Me included sadly, but I am working on getting more casual lolita dresses and skirts so I can wear it as much as I want to)

So on one side I'd say: Go for it, don't give a flying f*ck about what people thinks of your clothes, as long as you like them

On the other side: Tone it down a little if you want to be a working adult eventually, it's fine to wear a full decora set when you're home and free, but no one would hire you if you were full decora on work :3 (But hey, these things can be worked around, you can still wear your favorite shirt, skirt and a few hair clips, without people looking at you weird smile )

Haha, yeah. I've actually been looking around and found that elegant and aristocratic styles look better on me. I try to stay away from styles that are too crazy (usually) but sometimes its fun to dabble in the other styles. ^_^
There are a few places online that have really nice merchandise for a not-bad price :3  

Lady Cantarella

Delicate Violets

Beloved Prophet

6,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:40 pm
Maybe, but you shouldn't be too over the top!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 pm
I say go for it. I'm into cybergoth but when I don't feel like wearing tutus or gut-squeezing corsets I like to dress more Harajuku-like. Yeah people are going to talk about you (unless you wear yoga pants or jeans) but if you like it nothing else matters. dramallama  

Peacocking

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Ultimate Player 200

Cerulean Siren

Rainbow Conventioneer

13,150 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 pm
There's a fair amount of crossover between Decora and the Kandi Kids in the rave scene. I see a few kandi kids at pretty much any event I attend in the DC/Baltimore area. General events, not just raves. Anywhere that has a lot of teens and 20-somethings. Outside the anime conventions, it's even more popular than all the lolita variations combined (ignoring, of course, the crossover between lolita and Decora).

I think you should wear whatever makes you happy, as long as it won't get you in trouble. I've always just worn whatever I wanted, and on a few occasions started new trends in the small town where I grew up. And I was not popular. Yeah, you'll probably get a few weird looks or people talking about you. That's gonna happen, no matter what you do. Just ignore it. Because honestly, the people who talked most about the crazy stuff I wore in 8th grade were wearing similar stuff in 9th and 10th. Now people keep asking me why I never went into fashion design.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm
User Image

In theory, you can. I actually do wear Lolita in public once in awhile. The only problem is that people might not get it and think you are weird. J-Fashion is starting to get popular here.

Post style by PhallenPixie

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

The Queen of Purgatory

Sparkling Victory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm
I think it might depend on where you live in the US...

Some places are more accepting of "different" fashion styles than what could be considered their norm.

For example, I went to high school in a town where anything beyond jeans and a t-shirt was considered "dressing-up"  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:26 am
I suggest in a small town, start off mild, then slowly add more accessories and go all out. :3
And you don't have to buy cute accessories to pull off those outfits. >3<
Words like 'buy the accessories' and 'can't find' are no-no words when approaching these particular styles. T3T
Buying a full-made accessory is an absolute last resort when approaching these particular styles. T3T
In the first picture, she looks like a typical scene kid with bought-accessories, I'm sorry. T-T
In the second picture though, more than half of their outfits were hand-made (the bought parts were the Hello Kitty Devil things),and that's what makes it trendy and cool. >w<
Look up DIYs for those cute accessories, it's surprising what they use to make such cute things. x3
When I don't have something I need, I usually buy it at a thrift store, like beads and random chains, cloth even, and mix them together with some tools and paint, then poof, you have some original cool accessories that no one else will ever have, since you and only you created it. x3

CandiedSteel

Heroic Senshi

10,950 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am
I really agree with what CandiedSteel said. If you make all of the things yourself, it won't seem so much to you as just a fashion style but more of your own personality. It's probably more fun that way, too! I live in a larger area and while it's less awkward here to dress that way here than it might be in a small town, you can really tell who's only doing it because it's cool and who truly loves all those colorful accessories and takes pride in their creations. Even the really 'preppy' girls that usually wear Hollister shirts and jeans at my school every day appreciate some of the things I've made even if it's a little weird. DIY stuff is great, and when people ask you what you're wearing you can proudly say you took the time to make it yourself.

It's like wearing your favorite hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm
Ginkitsune-chan
Heeey peoples. Recently I've been obsessed with Harajuku styles. I'd really love to give it a shot, especially the Decora style. (a lot of layering, a lot of accessories, a lot of colors)(examples below)

User Image
User Image
User Image

The thing is I live in a small town that is very cookie cutter (all the girls have similar style and what-not)

I wanna know what you guys think, and if you have an affinity for Harajuku styles. If so, what kind and where can I get it in the states? (I'm hoping to make this a popular topic ^_^)

I think you could. Even if it's not popular in your community, I say if you like it go for it! I personally think it's very cute!  

yay_its_molly

Tipsy Girl

szowlee82

Ursine Connoisseur

17,965 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Bold Glow 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:42 pm
Go for it! As long as you love what you wear and are comfortable in it, don't let fear stop you. Actually, you don't even need to be that comfortable; I love seeing people dressed differently and seeing that they are a little uncomfortable, nervous, it just makes them so cute and approachable!
Anyway, I think it's super cute and a great idea. (I'm, personally, into Lolita fashion myself wink )  
04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff