Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Omnomnom! ( Food discussion & Recipes) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I...
  Love to cook!
  Like to cook.
  Am indifferent.
  Don't usually get a chance to prepare food.
  Like cooking, but am a terrible chef!
  Don't like cooking, and am terrible at it.
  Burn everything. EVERYTHING. Even water.
  Am a picky eater.
  Will try anything once.
  Will eat just about anything.
View Results

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 pm
Taeryyn
Blackrose_Knight

That sounds delicious. emotion_drool Not something to eat often, but holy comfort food.
I may or may not be persuaded to post my grandmother's fried chicken recipe. Holy mother of comfort food indeed. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:26 am
Belethiel
CheizLord
The Ouroboros Alchemist
CheizLord
Well I tend to burn even toast...but I've made pasta with meatless meatballs (vegetarian) without failing at it, and honestly that's my biggest accomplishment.
eating wise I love anything with cheese or potatoes. my friend's mom made the best potato soup ever and I got addicted to it. that and mashed potatoes. Love them both. well before I go on about potatoes....

I heart potatoes too!!!! blaugh The only thing I don't like that's potato-related is potato salad... >.> It's so gross...

ah, I enjoy all kinds of potatoes, ironically one day I realized I'm mostly Irish.. potato famine and all.

Have you ever tried one of the weird Andean potatoes? They look so strange, I wish to try them. Some of them mare kinda blue! :0

I'm good at cooking, and I love to try new foods. I also experiment too much. sweatdrop

I make some pretty badass cookies. :3

No I havent but I just baked cookie dough brownies yesterday and they actually came out okay XD (the last few werent all that great) I wish I xcould experiment more.... you know with cooking.  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 am
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord
The Ouroboros Alchemist
CheizLord
Well I tend to burn even toast...but I've made pasta with meatless meatballs (vegetarian) without failing at it, and honestly that's my biggest accomplishment.
eating wise I love anything with cheese or potatoes. my friend's mom made the best potato soup ever and I got addicted to it. that and mashed potatoes. Love them both. well before I go on about potatoes....

I heart potatoes too!!!! blaugh The only thing I don't like that's potato-related is potato salad... >.> It's so gross...

ah, I enjoy all kinds of potatoes, ironically one day I realized I'm mostly Irish.. potato famine and all.

Have you ever tried one of the weird Andean potatoes? They look so strange, I wish to try them. Some of them mare kinda blue! :0

I'm good at cooking, and I love to try new foods. I also experiment too much. sweatdrop

No I havent but I just baked cookie dough brownies yesterday and they actually came out okay XD (the last few werent all that great) I wish I xcould experiment more.... you know with cooking.

Andean potatoes. They originated in Peru and Chile. They're diverse enough in flavor and nutritional value to have a whole diet planned around them. They are obviously a staple food source. I wish more were cultivated here in America, they look interesting. ^_^

This one time, I thought I could fry ramen noodles... but I just ended up dehydrating them again. xD It was nasty.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:24 am
I have a recipe for a chicken and rice dish that I'm quite fond of. :3

Chicken and Rice

Cooking time is 2 hours, so make sure that you give yourself ample time for preparation. I believe this serves at least 4?

You will need:

- skinned chicken breasts, thighs, or drumsticks - whatever you'd like
- 1 package of instant, long grain, wild brown rice (my recipe calls for Uncle Bens, but any will do, really)
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (cream of celery or cream of chicken can substitute as well)
- 1/2 package of onion soup mix
- Worcestershire sauce
- a large baking dish
- aluminum foil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dump your package of rice into the dish, and spread the mushroom soup over top of the rice. Fill the can with water once it's empty, and add it to your dish. Sprinkle a bit of your onion soup mix over the rice, then add your chicken on top. Sprinkle the rest of your onion soup mix on top, and then sprinkle the Worcestershire sauce on.

Cover your dish in aluminum foil, and bake for an hour and a half. Remove the aluminum foil for the last half hour.

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am
Belethiel
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord
The Ouroboros Alchemist
CheizLord

Andean potatoes. They originated in Peru and Chile. They're diverse enough in flavor and nutritional value to have a whole diet planned around them. They are obviously a staple food source. I wish more were cultivated here in America, they look interesting. ^_^

This one time, I thought I could fry ramen noodles... but I just ended up dehydrating them again. xD It was nasty.

those are some weird a** loooking potatoes... and thats funny. one time I burned my soup so bad that when I came back to it the soup was gone and the pot was black. (I hadnt realized I left the burner on for hours)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 am
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord

those are some weird a** loooking potatoes... and thats funny. one time I burned my soup so bad that when I came back to it the soup was gone and the pot was black. (I hadnt realized I left the burner on for hours)

Yep. Yay for genetic diversity! : D

:0 Damn. Did you ruin the pot?  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm
Slowly but surely I'm learning the recipes from my grandma =D, she's vietnamese, I love
her cooking. She makes home-made pho(Vietnamese noodle soup) which she boils the ingredients
for a really long time, I think it takes her like a day to make the soup stock. I also love her spring rolls
she makes with vermicelli and this mildly spicy, sweet sauce =D... theres a lot of fish sauce in it
but it does not taste like fish! I can't wait to learn all her recipes. My favorite food by far though
is sushi dipped in tempura sauce, not soy sauce d:. I have really sensitive taste buds, I don't
like that much salt and I don't like vinegar.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:11 pm
Those Andean potatoes look neat. My friend's boyfriend grows blue potatoes, and they look really interesting. They don't boil as well as some other varieties, but they roast and bake really well, and look great in potato salad. whee  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:06 pm
Belethiel
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord
Belethiel
CheizLord

Yep. Yay for genetic diversity! : D

:0 Damn. Did you ruin the pot?

its usable... but it needed a lot of scrubbing. on the bright side I made over easy eggs successfully. well one of them was.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:33 pm
DeathxGrip
Slowly but surely I'm learning the recipes from my grandma =D, she's vietnamese, I love
her cooking. She makes home-made pho(Vietnamese noodle soup) which she boils the ingredients
for a really long time, I think it takes her like a day to make the soup stock. I also love her spring rolls
she makes with vermicelli and this mildly spicy, sweet sauce =D... theres a lot of fish sauce in it
but it does not taste like fish! I can't wait to learn all her recipes. My favorite food by far though
is sushi dipped in tempura sauce, not soy sauce d:. I have really sensitive taste buds, I don't

I'm a pho addict redface  

Favourit3

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:43 pm
LittleBoyLittleToy
DeathxGrip

I'm a pho addict redface

omg me to! WITHOUT BEAN SPROUTS THOUGH. I really dislike those things,
so plain tasting and crunchy! just not good whatsoever.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 pm
Taeryyn
Normally, I'm not a fan of necro'ing threads, but this is my own thread, and it's in the off-topic subforum, damnit. emotion_donotwant

Greek Tofu Scramble

Makes 1 serving.

-1 block firm (or extra-firm) tofu
-1 teaspoon olive oil
-1/2 cup chopped scallion, including the green end (1 large one, or 2 small) {In a pinch, diced onion with some green onion works just fine}
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
-1 cup tightly packed chopped fresh spinach
-2 or 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese

1) In a shallow bowl, lightly mash the tofu with a fork so that it resembles the texture of scrambled eggs. Set aside.

2)Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the scallion, garlic, and oregano for 30 seconds, and add the spinach. Cook, stirring until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. The water that remains on the spinach from washing should be enough to cook the spinach.

3) Reduce the heat to low. Add the tofu, and gently stir until the mixture is warm, about a minute. Stir in the feta cheese, and serve immediately.

I remade this tonight, with several additions and a change. I only had frozen spinach, no fresh, but it works well enough. Just defrost in the microwave a bit, first.
I also added some slices of zucchini, chopped red pepper, mushroom slices, and some chopped cucumber. All was tossed in shortly after the onion and garlic, except the cucumber, which I tossed in at the very end, so it would stay crisp.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 pm
Having very little in the kitchen today, other than condiments, rice, an onion, and green beans, I tried to get a little bit creative. I think it turned out pretty well.

I cut the onion into thin rounds, and then stir-fried it and the beans and in a mix of sesame and chili oil. I added some garlic powder, black and cayenne pepper, and some chili powder, threw in a handful of sesame seeds, and then when it was almost done, and added some honey. Served over rice, it was quite tasty.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm
I'm a terrible cook.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm
Well, practice makes perfect. Or...edible, anyway. 3nodding I think a lot of cooking is just being willing to experiment, and paying attention.

Baking, on the other hand...
I'm not a very good baker. When I cook, I don't usually follow recipes, and on the occasions that I do, I follow them loosely. A pinch of this, a dash of that...

It's been my experience that there's a lot less room for error when it comes to baking, though. sweatdrop  
Off-Topic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff