Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
"Cisgender"? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elluenda

Friendly Fairy

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:53 am
Gaga-Sexual

Taeryyn
From what I understand, I'm cisgender, because I was born male and identify as male. *shrug* Someone who isn't transgender, I guess? I wonder, does this include those who are genderqueer, as well?

No. People who are genderqueer do not fall under cisgendered. They are just genderqueer. As far it it goes:
Cisgendered
Transgendered
Transsexual
Genderqueer
Androgynous

Englishpatient
Cisgender is a descriptor for any person whose gender identity is part of the societally-enforced binary and 'matches' the sex usually assumed to 'go with' that gender identity. AKA a woman with ovaries, or a man with testicles. There is no real 'opposite' since gender is a spectrum, so the terms trans and cis (coming from organic chemistry) don't work, but are the most well known.

I believe that gender is a spectrum as well and if you think about it, so is sex. There are so many people who are born intersex that we know of and so many others that go their whole lives not knowing they are intersex. Biology loves variety but society doesn't. That's kinda the reason why we even need such terms. It's also a way for us to identify ourselves to our peers. Without these labels, humans tend to feel at a loss for what the other person is. That unknown causes us to feel very insecure.

I could go on and on about the gender continuum though. I actually do gender studies. smile

That's why much of the G part of the Gender and Sexuality Minorities are starting to mark it Trans*, rather than just trans, nonbinary, etc etc etc. Trans* includes all variations of gender and sex, minus cisgenders since they're presently the majority/oppressor/privileged party in most cultures. Since I see things like Genderqueer, genderfluid, Transgender, and other such things as part of Trans* I can't really make a list of all identities. It would be impossible to, anyway, since every identity is unique, and every expression for an identity is unique to the person expressing it.

As for pansexual, a lot of people confuse it for demisexuality that happens to be omni-romantic or person-orientation that happens to be omniromantic. Demisexuality is where you only find interest in sexual relationships when you already have a very strong bond/relationship with a person. These strong bonds/relationships can have any kind of orientation, being het-romantic, homo-romantic, pan/omni-romantic and so on. Not all Pansexual people are person-oriented, but feel sexual attraction to "Many" (the definition of 'Pan') genders.
This may mean they have the potential to be attracted to all genders, or maybe just more than two or three. I usually prefer this to bi-sexual, when it is only to two specific gender identities, as calling it Pan doesn't come with the assumption that the attractions are for the binary genders/not just cisgenders.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
Gaga-Sexual
I'm a full supporter of gays, am one myself, but I do get a bit annoyed with all these terms after awhile. I know there are many different people out there, but it confuses me. I understand gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, pansexual (not too much) and transgenders, but everything else I never understand.

Edit: But now a days theres a lot of terms for everything. Especially in the sciences, so I guess I'm jus' old fashioned and not the sharpest knife xD

Pansexual isn't that hard to understand. A person who is pansexual isn't attracted to the person for their gender, they are attracted to them for who they are. We see past gender. In other words, what's in between your legs means nothing to someone like myself.

There are a lot of different terms for a lot of different things because nothing is clear cut. Gender itself is fluid as is sex. You may end up doing some things during your day that are considered masculine and you may end up doing things during your day that are considered feminine.

What's funny is that most so-called gender courses focus on the gender binary.. which is annoying. Anyway, if you were born a certain sex/gender, that was the sex/gender that was assigned to you at birth and you are perfectly okay being that sex/gender then you are cisgender. Most of the population is cisgender.

It's not that it is hard to understand, I simply miss the days of the simple. Nowadays there are so many names, versions, words, meanings, of everything. And as I am not the most intelligent person, it's hard for me to keep up with such words.
But in no way shape or form am I saying it is wrong to be cisgender or pansexual. I just have a hard time keeping up with names and such.

Pish posh, you are indeed a smart person. If you were not, then you wouldn't be in this guild! See what I did thar? biggrin Anyway, you just need to get used to it is all. You'll be fine. smile  

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:45 pm
Englishpatient

That's why much of the G part of the Gender and Sexuality Minorities are starting to mark it Trans*, rather than just trans, nonbinary, etc etc etc. Trans* includes all variations of gender and sex, minus cisgenders since they're presently the majority/oppressor/privileged party in most cultures. Since I see things like Genderqueer, genderfluid, Transgender, and other such things as part of Trans* I can't really make a list of all identities. It would be impossible to, anyway, since every identity is unique, and every expression for an identity is unique to the person expressing it.

As for pansexual, a lot of people confuse it for demisexuality that happens to be omni-romantic or person-orientation that happens to be omniromantic. Demisexuality is where you only find interest in sexual relationships when you already have a very strong bond/relationship with a person. These strong bonds/relationships can have any kind of orientation, being het-romantic, homo-romantic, pan/omni-romantic and so on. Not all Pansexual people are person-oriented, but feel sexual attraction to "Many" (the definition of 'Pan') genders.
This may mean they have the potential to be attracted to all genders, or maybe just more than two or three. I usually prefer this to bi-sexual, when it is only to two specific gender identities, as calling it Pan doesn't come with the assumption that the attractions are for the binary genders/not just cisgenders.

I agree with you completely. I don't like the term bisexual because it implies the gender binary so I don't use it as a label for myself. I see myself as the type of guy who likes people regardless of gender. Male, female, trans whatever, it doesn't matter to me.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:44 pm
Gaga-Sexual
Gaga-Sexual
I'm a full supporter of gays, am one myself, but I do get a bit annoyed with all these terms after awhile. I know there are many different people out there, but it confuses me. I understand gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, pansexual (not too much) and transgenders, but everything else I never understand.

Edit: But now a days theres a lot of terms for everything. Especially in the sciences, so I guess I'm jus' old fashioned and not the sharpest knife xD

Pansexual isn't that hard to understand. A person who is pansexual isn't attracted to the person for their gender, they are attracted to them for who they are. We see past gender. In other words, what's in between your legs means nothing to someone like myself.

There are a lot of different terms for a lot of different things because nothing is clear cut. Gender itself is fluid as is sex. You may end up doing some things during your day that are considered masculine and you may end up doing things during your day that are considered feminine.

What's funny is that most so-called gender courses focus on the gender binary.. which is annoying. Anyway, if you were born a certain sex/gender, that was the sex/gender that was assigned to you at birth and you are perfectly okay being that sex/gender then you are cisgender. Most of the population is cisgender.

It's not that it is hard to understand, I simply miss the days of the simple. Nowadays there are so many names, versions, words, meanings, of everything. And as I am not the most intelligent person, it's hard for me to keep up with such words.
But in no way shape or form am I saying it is wrong to be cisgender or pansexual. I just have a hard time keeping up with names and such.

Pish posh, you are indeed a smart person. If you were not, then you wouldn't be in this guild! See what I did thar? biggrin Anyway, you just need to get used to it is all. You'll be fine. smile

Heh well thank you~ Yes I did ^_^
I know, I'm a bit old fashioned you could say! Thank you though~

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out