Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Labels - Please Respond no Matter the Sexuality Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am
I gave up labels a long time ago for sexuality - it was just too complicating for myself as an individual but even then while transitioning I found more about myself that a label wouldn't quite fit either way.

I am a transman - the only thing I have found offensive/insulting was having an ex telling me that I should participate in the local drag shows. That is one of the worst things to tell someone who is trans - to drag is to mock gender - my gender is not to be mocked (least my identification is not to be mocked). To drag would also give me away and allow for others to address me in a manner in which I do not want to be addressed.
That is my opinion and perspective for the most part.

Though one word I don't like hearing is transsexual - often feels like it's a fetish thing for some reason.

Edit: also female pronouns / titles - highly offensive, never is easy to hear them either  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 pm
Harmony8910
Have you been labeled as a "butch" or "lipstick" lesbian (or any other label)?
My mother used to joke that she was worried that I would become a lesbian. I've also been told that I dress butch-esque.
Harmony8910
And if you're gay, have you been labeled too?
question does not apply. I play the role of a straight person, and I'm not sure what my sexual orientation is.
Harmony8910
If you're transgender or a cross-dresser, does the term "drag queen" or "drag king" irk you? Do you hate labeling as much as I do?
question does not apply.

Harmony8910
But everyone, how do you ignore something like that?
Someone who irks you? I try to stay out of his or her hair, or I break down and have a tearful talk with that person about it, and I tell them how I feel about the subject and about how that person treated me.
Harmony8910
Maybe I'm just more sensitive than you guys are. For those of you who don't care, you don't find it the least bit annoying because someone judged you on your appearance?
I do care.
Harmony8910
And for those who don't like labels, would you care if the person labeling you were from the gay community?
It irks me a bit if the person who labels me in a negative way is also (or more) worthy of carrying that label. As for a lesbian calling be a lesbian, I still would find that offensive. It's one thing to suggest that I my be if I was on that topic with said person, but to come out of nowhere and state it - that's just bananas. Of course it's offensive as well as baffling.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm
Rainbow Overkill
I do not know whether I was then a girl dreaming I was a butterfly...

User Image
I have always been labeled, for one thing or another. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, so I get called fatty, piggy, ugly.. and I also get labeled because I am autistic and can't relate well to others, miss social cues and act like I am a child so I am called slow and a retard.
Ironically enough, nobody has ever put a label on me for being a girl who likes girls.
So yes, labels upset me intensely. Maybe I am not mature enough yet to understand that most of the world is mean.
User Image
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a girl.

Your header, footer, and butterfly thing-a-ma-bobs are beautiful!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 am
I've been labeled a freak by my family and been called a number of slurs. I got called a dyke all throughout high school even though I was dating dudes at the time. What helped me was to embrace what they said as ignorance and come back with hella sarcastic, witty remarks.

I'd get called a dyke and say something about being more useful because I could actually hold back a flood and let my partner c** (directed towards guys) which would usually make them go red in the face. If the ladies directed it my way, I'd be like 'and I still won't ******** you' and once people realized I wasn't taking s**t, it stopped.

Smart, jabbing remarks are what helped me survive cruel stupidity and it's my recommended brand of idiot repellent.  

vann-haal13

Fashionable Explorer

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

AgentVector09

Hilarious Hunter

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm
Labels will never leave us... it's human nature to categorize everything. So they're here for the long haul, as annoying as it is.

Having said that, labels are only as annoying as the intent behind them. I would find "drag king/queen" annoying if it were meant as an excuse... like "Oh, they can't help it. They're a drag queen." Same as how some people call me bi like it makes my behavior or statements acceptable... Truth is, I haven't changed since I came out. If anything, I'm more relaxed. Yet, people see my (not changed) behavior and words as a symptom of being myself.

But we have to remember that we still use labels, whether we like them or not... If someone where to ask you what your orientation is, you'd answer gay/bi/trans/pan whatever. Just because we don't introduce ourselves like "Hey, I'm Whatsawhosits and I'm gay" doesn't mean we don't use them.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 am
have been called butch, dyke, and a few other things before. i really dont care too much, though if someone calls me anything other than bi or pan i will correct them

idk maybe its because im not in highschool anymore but that kind of stuff really just does not bother me at all anymore. it used to when i was younger but i find that the older i get the less i really care about that crap. i know who and what i am and thats really all that matters  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Ittarius

Noble Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am
I'm genderqueer DFAB and I think I know two people who don't consistently refer to me as a girl. And that drives me absolutely insane- I keep trying to explain to these people what that means and tell them to please not call me one because I'm not yet they still can't understand the concept. I'm mostly forced to ignore it, or I choose to because I don't want to be "that guy". I mostly just stew in my quiet rage.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 am
I was told once that I looked like a lesbian...which kind of bugged me because I'm bisexual and want to be found attractive by both sexes... neutral  

My-1nquisition

Beautiful Ava Adore

Fashionable Raider

8,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 pm
My-1nquisition
I was told once that I looked like a lesbian...which kind of bugged me because I'm bisexual and want to be found attractive by both sexes... neutral

That happened to me a lot in highschool. Didn't help that I was in a cuddle-puddle with my chick friends in the main hall half the time. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm
When people find out I'm a transwoman I'm asked about drag queens pretty fast it gets old.  

Chisami1

trichodezia

Illuminated Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:10 pm
Labeling is kind of a consistant part life I guess, as annoying as it can be. We do label ourselves to help find out our own identity and others like us which is alright on its own, though I think the issue comes when other people label us for who we are or what we identify as.

For me as a transman it's certainly annoying to be labeled as female as soon as anyone hears me speak ((otherwise I look androgynous)) and it's just sort of ridiculous at this point.

Labels kind of really, really suck and you just learn to correct or ignore those who try to label you.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 pm
No one should be calling you a butch or a lipstick anything. People are just people and you are allowed to be you no matter what anyone else says. If it bothers you, tell them. Especially if it's a parent or someone close to you.  

ilmooney

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces