Submit

blah

View Results

Frizzzz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 am
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
I amn't against oral sex

This is the only part of this thread that concerns me at all.

AMN'T?

Wow, never realised it was an Irish thing to say..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:06 am
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
I amn't against oral sex

AMN'T?

Yeah...Not at all standard English. I've actually never heard or seen anyone use it before.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Frizzzz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:13 am
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
I amn't against oral sex

AMN'T?

Yeah...Not at all standard English. I've actually never heard or seen anyone use it before.

Yeah I wouldn't choose it in an English essay, but I'd say almost everyone I know would use it here and there, although "I'm not" is obviously better. I didn't really think about it much before.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:06 pm
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
I amn't against oral sex

AMN'T?

Yeah I wouldn't choose it in an English essay, but I'd say almost everyone I know would use it here and there, although "I'm not" is obviously better. I didn't really think about it much before.

Huh. Where are you from again? I totally don't remember.

We actually pointed out to our students here in Japan that "amn't" is not acceptable English. I never knew it actually was considered acceptable in Ireland and Scotland. Now I'm going to have to ask our one teacher who's part Scottish if he's used it before.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Frizzzz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:37 pm
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
I amn't against oral sex

AMN'T?

We actually pointed out to our students here in Japan that "amn't" is not acceptable English. I never knew it actually was considered acceptable in Ireland and Scotland. Now I'm going to have to ask our one teacher who's part Scottish if he's used it before.

I'm Irish, but I'm sure a lot of the things we say aren't considered completely proper English. In fact I make a point of not saying these things any more once I discover they aren't good English. I don't know about Japan, but in Ireland, saying "you and me" or "me, x,y and z" rather than "x,y and I" is very common. Saying "I seen" rather than "I have seen" or "I saw" and saying "so much x" instead of "so many x" are used almost every day by many Irish people. I'm training myself out of saying these things.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:58 pm
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi

I'm Irish, but I'm sure a lot of the things we say aren't considered completely proper English. In fact I make a point of not saying these things any more once I discover they aren't good English. I don't know about Japan, but in Ireland, saying "you and me" or "me, x,y and z" rather than "x,y and I" is very common. Saying "I seen" rather than "I have seen" or "I saw" and saying "so much x" instead of "so many x" are used almost every day by many Irish people. I'm training myself out of saying these things.

Most Americans will say "you and me" or "me, x, y and z" but our English teachers will yell at us that it's grammatically incorrect. Americans say a lot of things that aren't considered proper English, but you find that in any country. What is normally said and what is considered "proper" English for formal writing are usually two separate things nowadays.

And "so much x" and "so many x" are both correct depending on whether or not "x" is a countable noun. "I have so much homework" as "homework" isn't a countable noun, but "I have so many cats" as "cats" is a countable noun.

And I totally derailed this thread for grammar. Wow. I really am an English teacher now. D:  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Felin Greenleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:06 pm
I say "seen't" sometimes.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 am
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi
Frizzzz
chinotenshi

Most Americans will say "you and me" or "me, x, y and z" but our English teachers will yell at us that it's grammatically incorrect. Americans say a lot of things that aren't considered proper English, but you find that in any country. What is normally said and what is considered "proper" English for formal writing are usually two separate things nowadays.

And "so much x" and "so many x" are both correct depending on whether or not "x" is a countable noun. "I have so much homework" as "homework" isn't a countable noun, but "I have so many cats" as "cats" is a countable noun.

And I totally derailed this thread for grammar. Wow. I really am an English teacher now. D:

I did think to myself that I should probably define x, but assumed you'd understand the error I was talking about. I find these mistakes are even becoming integrated into films and novels, which is a shame because I love read/hear proper English..  

Frizzzz

Gents

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces