Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Is it just me or do Pride Parades seem too sexualized? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria
Esiris

with why i'm uncomfortable.

I'm really confused then- you said "...i don't need to see someone wearing assless chaps ... it's a bit uncomfortable for me to look at solely because of the assless chaps and all of the clothing like it (like i said, i don't need to see someone's uncovered butt. i also don't need to see someone in a sexy nurse outfit or anything like that."
And you said "i just get uncomfortable looking at anyone who's wearing just a speedo or is in a skimpy outfit. it's awkward, for some reason. .-."

If it isn't a body or the sexiness of the outfit, you're doing a great job of confusing me because that's all you're talking about when you say you have a problem with it. cat_sweatdrop

it's the sexiness of the outfit, along with the overall thing of it. i thought you meant the person's sexuality when you said sexuality. ^^;  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

it's the sexiness of the outfit, along with the overall thing of it. i thought you meant the person's sexuality when you said sexuality. ^^;

Thanks for clearing that up. cat_3nodding
Why do people being sexy make you uncomfortable though?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

Thanks for clearing that up. cat_3nodding
Why do people being sexy make you uncomfortable though?

i dunno. it just does, but mostly it's the clothing. :l
if anything, it's probably because of most people where i live are a bit conservative, so acting "sexy" is given a few weird looks? i dunno, i might have adopted that attitude about it a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:29 am
Dancehall Hysteria

if anything, it's probably because of most people where i live are a bit conservative, so acting "sexy" is given a few weird looks? i dunno, i might have adopted that attitude about it a bit.

Ah. That's too bad- shaming people because of their sexuality seems really emotionally abusive to me.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

Ah. That's too bad- shaming people because of their sexuality seems really emotionally abusive to me.

i'm not shaming anyone because of their sexual orientation.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

I get where you are coming from. Its dressing in a "sexy" or "provocative" way. Like short shorts, or wearing leather straps and etc. Dressing to present yourself makes you look professional, but parades, whether it be gay or otherwise, are for fun only. s**t, Mardi Gras down in Biloxi where I live is full of drunks willing to expose for plastic XD. But its all in good fun.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm
Onato
Dancehall Hysteria
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

I get where you are coming from. Its dressing in a "sexy" or "provocative" way. Like short shorts, or wearing leather straps and etc. Dressing to present yourself makes you look professional, but parades, whether it be gay or otherwise, are for fun only. s**t, Mardi Gras down in Biloxi where I live is full of drunks willing to expose for plastic XD. But its all in good fun.

^ that.
and i know it's all in good fun, but i just get really flustered for some reason. XD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

I think you're misunderstanding- sexuality isn't the same as sexual orientation- orientation is just a small part of sexuality.

You get flustered- so instead of owning your own emotions you're saying that other people should hide who they are to make you feel better. I don't see that, ethically, as any different from people who deny LGBT marriage in support of civil unions because using the word marriage/dressing too sexy is an affront to you.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

I think you're misunderstanding- sexuality isn't the same as sexual orientation- orientation is just a small part of sexuality.

You get flustered- so instead of owning your own emotions you're saying that other people should hide who they are to make you feel better. I don't see that, ethically, as any different from people who deny LGBT marriage in support of civil unions because using the word marriage/dressing too sexy is an affront to you.

i don't think anyone should change who they are to make me comfortable.
and i get flustered when people wear clothes that are labeled "sexy" or "provocative" and i see them in said clothing. i can't control it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:14 pm
Dancehall Hysteria

and i get flustered when people wear clothes that are labeled "sexy" or "provocative" and i see them in said clothing. i can't control it at all.
I think that was my misunderstanding then- it kind of sounded like you were against that being in pride, and in a way that supports erasing some people's identity. cat_3nodding  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:53 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

I think that was my misunderstanding then- it kind of sounded like you were against that being in pride, and in a way that supports erasing some people's identity. cat_3nodding

it's totally fine, don't worry about it. ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 pm
It's all location based. You can go to one in San Francisco which sometimes literally has live sex happening on the street, or you can go to the one in my homestate that is completely family friendly.

But, on that note, look up the history of LGBT Pride Parades and find out why they are so sexualized in some places. wink  

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Demon Wolf Kyra

Dangerous Shapeshifter

13,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:29 pm
noigel
Everytime I see an LGBT Pride parade, it usually constitutes of gay men wearing nothing but tight underwear shaking their butts and boners everywhere. I feel this is the same for other Pride events too. Am I just looking at the wrong videos or are there actually LGBT Pride events that are family friendly? I think it would be good to better spread te hawareness of LGBT issues and tolerance if the kids were involved even if they don't quite understand sexuality.
Has anyone else felt this way?

I've been to a few and I do see a lot of that as well although it has never really bothered me because I see it as a place where you can just relax and have fun. But that isn't the majority, at least around where I am. You find kinky outfits and funny costumes and decently dressed people and then you get to know them and pretty much everyone from my experience is very sweet and just looking for a good time where they won't be ridiculed.
I mean it's not like anyone is forcing them to it's of their own will so in an open fun atmosphere like that why not get a little crazy and fun when you have the chance and live in the moment where you are truly free and safe from the haters
Although if it is a bother to you, not sure you would go about doing it, but maybe contact them about it with questions or do your own. That's all I got sorry ><

But yes I do agree with you about the children. They need to be educated better on Tolerance and Open-mindedness. In my opinion Pride is for older audience. Although there are other events more child friendly, like later this month I am going to an event called Models Of Pride, it will be my first time going but my friend has gone and it's basically a fun event/conference for LGBT Supporters and Members with performances and discussions and appropriate for different ages. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm
It is really sexualized, but I love it whee  

nailuj_13

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 pm
I think I'm understanding it more... I'll do some research.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff