Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Legend of the Five Rings - Time for War Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 pm
Sheet is done as far as I can tell now.

Spent the last 9 exp spare I had to make Curse of stone innate and bought 2 ranks in medicine and anatomy.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 pm
Rain Yupa

What would a Suzume have at stake that would involve him in such a large-scale war? Normally they are at home tending to their own lands. (Note: This is the minor clan I've seen so far most likely to pass)

eue Alright. Let me see if I can get this coherently across. Probably not....lol

If the battle is somewhat far away:
Suzume Shou had always lived with his parents, 4 brothers, and sister on a nice sized plot of land where he helped to tend the fields. His eldest brother holds the work of a yojimbo, having part of his pay sent home to help with finances. When this brother has no work, he returns home and tells tales of his adventures to anyone willing to listen.
Shou, entranced by these tales, eventually got his brother to teach him some of the samurai techniques. Once he had the basics down, Shou practiced them whenever he had a free moment. When he wasn't practicing or working, he was reading. His choice of literature came in the form of the tales of brave samurai that laid down their lives in service to their lord.
That, ironically enough, is what happened to his eldest brother. The beloved sibling's items were sent back home, giving Shou the burning desire to live up to his brother's courage and sense of duty. Shou took the katana and wakizashi that had made it back to set off and give his services to a just cause.

If battle is close:
Same as above, but taking up arms to protect his home and family.

Pfft idk.
I'll go hide in the corner now ;u;  

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm
xX_Terei_Xx
Rain Yupa

What would a Suzume have at stake that would involve him in such a large-scale war? Normally they are at home tending to their own lands. (Note: This is the minor clan I've seen so far most likely to pass)

eue Alright. Let me see if I can get this coherently across. Probably not....lol

If the battle is somewhat far away:
Suzume Shou had always lived with his parents, 4 brothers, and sister on a nice sized plot of land where he helped to tend the fields. His eldest brother holds the work of a yojimbo, having part of his pay sent home to help with finances. When this brother has no work, he returns home and tells tales of his adventures to anyone willing to listen.
Shou, entranced by these tales, eventually got his brother to teach him some of the samurai techniques. Once he had the basics down, Shou practiced them whenever he had a free moment. When he wasn't practicing or working, he was reading. His choice of literature came in the form of the tales of brave samurai that laid down their lives in service to their lord.
That, ironically enough, is what happened to his eldest brother. The beloved sibling's items were sent back home, giving Shou the burning desire to live up to his brother's courage and sense of duty. Shou took the katana and wakizashi that had made it back to set off and give his services to a just cause.

If battle is close:
Same as above, but taking up arms to protect his home and family.

Pfft idk.
I'll go hide in the corner now ;u;

I am reading this as one of two things: Either Shou isn't actually a samurai (in which case, touching the weapons of the samurai class would be cause for death on the spot), or that you're unfamiliar with the Gempukku ceremony - the coming of age ceremony where a samurai earns his blades. This differs clan to clan.

In case it's the second, then you either need to reflect that you chose them as part of completing your Gempukku (which you would have earned at a VERY young age), OR how you laid down your own katana to take up your brother's upon his death (meaning you already had your own; a wakizashi is a symbol of station and you would probably keep your own). Perhaps a third thing I can't think of.

So, that aside, Suzume Shou is a mercenary?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 pm
So many sell swords. So little time.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 pm
Rain Yupa
I am reading this as one of two things: Either Shou isn't actually a samurai (in which case, touching the weapons of the samurai class would be cause for death on the spot), or that you're unfamiliar with the Gempukku ceremony - the coming of age ceremony where a samurai earns his blades. This differs clan to clan.

In case it's the second, then you either need to reflect that you chose them as part of completing your Gempukku (which you would have earned at a VERY young age), OR how you laid down your own katana to take up your brother's upon his death (meaning you already had your own). Perhaps a third thing I can't think of.

;u; Yeah, I was a bit confused when reading. The Suzume don't appear to have their own School, so I wasn't sure if they trained their own samurai or not.

I think I'll go with: He decided to become a samurai because of his brother. So, Shou decided to undergo training and successfully completed his gempukku at a young age. Shou was still needed for the farm though, so he stayed and worked while awaiting more of his brother's stories. This went on until Shou's youngest brother was old enough to start working.
Then he went to follow in his brother's footsteps, but found out halfway through that yojimbo work wasn't for him. So, he went to search for something big that required his skill. Something that didn't care which clan he was from, as long as he could do what he did best. flower arranging
His eldest brother would still be alive and a yojimbo, with the rest of the family still on the farm.

Technically, Shou is a Ronin until I hear of a Suzume Bushi School. But yes, he's pretty much a mercenary ;u;  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm
xX_Terei_Xx
Rain Yupa

In case it's the second, then you either need to reflect that you chose them as part of completing your Gempukku (which you would have earned at a VERY young age), OR how you laid down your own katana to take up your brother's upon his death (meaning you already had your own). Perhaps a third thing I can't think of.

;u; Yeah, I was a bit confused when reading. The Suzume don't appear to have their own School, so I wasn't sure if they trained their own samurai or not.

I think I'll go with: He decided to become a samurai because of his brother. So, Shou decided to undergo training and successfully completed his gempukku at a young age. Shou was still needed for the farm though, so he stayed and worked while awaiting more of his brother's stories. This went on until Shou's youngest brother was old enough to start working.
Then he went to follow in his brother's footsteps, but found out halfway through that yojimbo work wasn't for him. So, he went to search for something big that required his skill. Something that didn't care which clan he was from, as long as he could do what he did best. flower arranging
His eldest brother would still be alive and a yojimbo, with the rest of the family still on the farm.

Technically, Shou is a Ronin until I hear of a Suzume Bushi School. But yes, he's pretty much a mercenary ;u;

The Suzume Bushi school DOES exist, in a supplement called The Four Winds, page 189.

It grants +1 Willpower, Honor 3.5
Skills: Calligraphy, Kenjutsu, Lore: History, Performance: Storytelling, Theology (Shintao), any one Lore Skill, and one High Skill
Outfit: Katana, Wakizashi; well-worn kimono and sandals, tavelling pack; 1 koku.

Also, you don't become samurai, you are born as a samurai.

Shut up, Toku, I'm ignoring you.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm
Hey Rain....
Are ancestors treated like in Jade Legacy
And How much does a pony cost?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 pm
I think I'm gonna need to drop until I understand anything better.  

DeathAdams

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm
What do you need help with?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 pm
Rain Yupa
The Suzume Bushi school DOES exist, in a supplement called The Four Winds, page 189.

Skills: Calligraphy, Kenjutsu, Lore: History, Performance: Storytelling, Theology (Shintao), any one Lore Skill, and one High Skill
Outfit: Katana, Wakizashi; well-worn kimono and sandals, tavelling pack; 1 koku.

=u= Terei was no supplemental sources. This is much appreciated.
Though, the Ronin Warrior things suit me a lot more....

Yeah. Think of it more like "he wasn't looking forward to serving another" rather than "he up and decided one day that he wanted to train as a samurai"
I swear I'll get this all sorted out. x.e I shouldn't be creating characters when I'm tired.

For now, though, I will be using my college class time to think of how to explain a Ronin Warrior Suzume named Shou.
And he will be a Sparrow of death, I assure you.  

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 pm
xX_Terei_Xx
Rain Yupa

=u= Terei was no supplemental sources. This is much appreciated.
Though, the Ronin Warrior things suit me a lot more....

Yeah. Think of it more like "he wasn't looking forward to serving another" rather than "he up and decided one day that he wanted to train as a samurai"
I swear I'll get this all sorted out. x.e I shouldn't be creating characters when I'm tired.

For now, though, I will be using my college class time to think of how to explain a Ronin Warrior Suzume named Shou.
And he will be a Sparrow of death, I assure you.

... if you are a Ronin, you aren't Sparrow. Sparrow are samurai. Ronin are warriors without masters, i.e. not samurai. The only reason they carry katana is because when anyone tries to take them away, the ronin stab them. Often, it's easier just to pay them than to fight them.

If you notice, Sparrow have Honor 3.5. Starting honor for a ronin is 1.5. That's a BIG difference in lifestyle right there.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 pm
Plainsfox
Hey Rain....
Are ancestors treated like in Jade Legacy
And How much does a pony cost?

Pony = 25 koku.

And I'm ignoring Ancestors here - the rules are that you're supposed to pay them tribute via worship periodically if you have the time. Odds are, you will not have the time. Since the spiritual aspect won't really have the opportunity to be fully explored, I'm going to say no to them for this game.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=23346985#344020883

He's mechanically complete, just need him to be vetted and confirmed.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm
Plainsfox
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=23346985#344020883

He's mechanically complete, just need him to be vetted and confirmed.

I have you 23 points over the limit O_o

Traits: 72 points.
Skills (assuming you took Defense 1 as one of your starting skills; technically, you should have had the sheet approved before rolling on Heritage but oh well): 64+2 points
Advantages: 11 points (you should include your 2cp heritage roll here)
Disadvantages: -4 points
Innate Spells: 3 points
Total: 148  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm
So, not playing a Haruichi. Sorta like them, but the timeline would be vital to know to make one since... if we're starting right after the Second Day of Thunder all the Haruichi but one haven't even had their gempakku yet.

If we go after 1171 on the other hand, they're all but wiped out and have no land.

So, back to examining the other families for a favorite. Probably going to end up with Shinjo or Moto family but I want to explore my options.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff