Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Introduction Threads
Survived the 30's - 70's...? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When were you born?
1930's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1940's
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1950's
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
1960's
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
1970's
64%
 64%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 51

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:26 pm
Sadly, she was so very serious when she said it. My other co-worker was just shaking her head. Needless to say, the rest of us have gotten a bit of a kick out of it... now I'm off to bed or I'll never wake up in the a.m.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:27 pm
Lil Brat
Sadly, she was so very serious when she said it. My other co-worker was just shaking her head. Needless to say, the rest of us have gotten a bit of a kick out of it... now I'm off to bed or I'll never wake up in the a.m.

I should head to bed as well, Have work then class tomorrow, it was nice chatting with you. Night.  

Tenshi Naito

My Tea Bag

Hygienic Gawker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:34 pm
Lil Brat
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who did not had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And, while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Back in the day...fantastic post, you old geezer, you! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:53 pm
Clicks the heels of my lovely red shoes together and murmers... "there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."

Brings back sooo many memories!

My mom even took that drug they took off the market because of terrible birth defects!! I'm very fortunate that I have all my fingers and toes and everything else! Both bubba and myself were actually vaccinated for smallpox! and had the polio vaccine too!

And somewhere, someone in my family still has that old crib that myself and my sister and brother used...

We would go out after breakfast and if we didn't show up at lunch, our moms just knew we were at someone else's house for lunch that day - we'd be at our house before the week was out wink everyone just fed whoever was there at meals... Our only rule was to be home by supper, then if school wasn't in session, we could go back out till 9pm.

We put bugs in our mouth to give them a "shower" (never swallowed them thankfully) and "petted" bumble bees while lying still in a clover patch. (never was stung!)

We played in the woods behind our house and never had any worries... our parents and the people on the street on the other side of the woods all knew each other, so no one every worried about anybody getting hurt.

We built "forts" and treehouses, and played in mountain streams with salamanders and crawfish and water moccasins eek Somehow we never got hurt!

We all swam in our neighbor's pool, and provided free labor to them each year in helping to clean and repaint when needed to get ready for summer... no lawsuit worries - ever!

At Halloween our next door neighbor cooked out hot dogs and chili and apple cider for the whole neighborhood!!! (they had no children and wanted to make sure EVERYONE came to their house!!!). Many hours spent in the back yard swing with this couple - they loved children and were the sweetest people in the world!!! (Husband was a fireman) and occasionally brought home a truck for us kids to see too.

I can remember not having a TV just a radio and summer nights with daddy's big short wave radio trying to pick up stations from all over the world!!! Also only having a black and white tv available too! I remember when color TV's came out and we got one. Lightening killed it and we went without for 6 months while my folks saved up to get another one. No big deal.

I can also remember our first air conditioner!!! I was about 9 or 10 I think ... And how excited mother was to get her first electric clothes dryer and especially her tears of joy over her first portable dish washer!!!!

Though I was very small - I remember the day that JFK was shot eek

I watched on tv at grade school when Neal Armstrong took his first steps on the moon and heard his famous quote... "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Bubba and I on a date saw the first Star Wars on opening day in Huntsville, Alabama!

Bubba and I actually had one of the first "Pong" video games when they came out.. one of our first married years!

I watched MTV the first hours that it came on air... I was pregnant with B-Mel at the time wink

We are so very fortunate to have seen so many wonderful things in our lives!!! Forgive me for rambling so, there were so many thoughts that came flooding back as I read those first posts!! crying tears of joy and sadness for simpler times heart  

spiked_fuzzy

oddoppo

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:24 pm
That's it! I need to go play kick-the-can. I am just way too sedentary. Must become a French-woman and walk everywhere. Wonder how many adults I could drag away from the tube/computer......they are hard to find.

If I started yelling olie-olie-unsome-free would the cops get called?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:40 am
oddoppo
That's it! I need to go play kick-the-can. I am just way too sedentary. Must become a French-woman and walk everywhere. Wonder how many adults I could drag away from the tube/computer......they are hard to find.

If I started yelling olie-olie-unsome-free would the cops get called?

The cops or some religious finatic trying to cast some mysterious deamon out of you xd  

spiked_fuzzy

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:58 pm
Go Spiked Fuzzy! Glad others enjoyed this as much as I did. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:28 pm
I love this! It brings back so much I had forgotten. Like if you got in trouble at school, you got in more trouble when you got home. Not that I did, of course. I appreciate this poll, it showed me that there other people from the fifties on Gaia. Thanks! cool  

Starwalker5

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:53 pm
I'm glad so many enjoyed this thread... it's sad to see our world going to hell in a handbasket... sad  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:28 am
Lachesia
Ah. The good memories. Chasing crayfish down in the mud puddles and learning the hard way why it's not a good idea to sled down a hill on a piece of cardboard. Going trick or treating in June.

I also survived playing Touch Tag on bicycles...barely. sweatdrop

Haha - did you grow up next door to me?  

myangelwings

Beloved Gaian

16,025 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Master Slayer 200

Starwalker5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:49 pm
Thanks guys. I love reading all these, it brings back so much. Now I want to go catch lightening bugs again (fireflys) biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:27 am
I remember one and two room school houses and riding 13 miles on horse back to date a girl I new.

I remember hitching up a ox to a water cart and driving it to a spring to fill up with drinking water.

Top that one.

I came to America the first time on a four engin wooden clipper. Not the Spruce Goose.

My first car was a Model T Ford. I paid $25.00 for it in 1954.
My second car was a 1930 Model A Ford Sedan Delivery wich cost $125.00 in 1958.
I used it for Tooling the Gut. I still own it.

I remember traveling all over the world on steam driven trains.

I rode on the last electric train that went from the Tri-Cities in Washingto State to Umitilla to shake the hand of President Ike at McNary Dam.

User Image  

I Ceymore Ratz
Crew

Revered Prophet

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:54 pm
Awesome post! It's always fun to come in and read everyone's trips down memory lane. *Gets warm-fuzzies*  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:40 pm
Dagnabbit... I wanna stickify the topic... where's the damn button for that? Per request in the geezer's ages topic asking for a poll on our random ages... ninja  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100