Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
My friends play D&D : [ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Play D&D with them?
  AGH! God, no!
  If your friends are nerds, you probably are too. Just play.
View Results

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:16 pm
Yeah, a bad DM can really ruin your session. But I am curious, what makes him so bad? I think DM's can be bad in a lot of ways so it would be nice to narrow it down some.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 pm
I still say don't play if you don't want to. There are a million other things in life than board games and computers. Like me, I play basketball or some other sport with my friends, and if they don't want to, then we do something we both enjoy doing, like reading comics or walking at the mall.  

Benevolent Rose

Loyal Pup

14,375 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Oxide Essence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:35 pm
DannoP
Pretty much all my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want to sink to that level of nerdiness, though they continuously request I play with them. What do I do!?

What's wrong with tabl-top gaming! scream

I do D&D. It's fine. Try it. How about that you don't have to play if you really don't want to but if they want you to so bad compramise. Try a session. I didn't want to wacth a certian show at all but I promised my friends i'd obay the three strike ruke and now I love that show. You ought to try it at least once.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:35 pm
I guess my question to you would be are you afraid of what other people will think of you because you're playing D&D?

I mean come on you're worried about "sinking to their level of nerd" sounds a bit umm retarded to me

I play D&D with my fiance and his friends, its something we do to have fun.

Yes we have brought D&D into the real world i mean we talk about it going over battles and how we should have done things after the fact.
In fact we've even brought it into work (theres a gnome that stocks the cheesewall at the local Walmart lol...of course he's not really a gnome hes just a very short person but its funny and fun to us to bring things like that in....)
think of it as being part of an inside joke that most people never have the chance to laugh at

if you need to have the miniature representation which i prefer myself then ask the group if they would consider it so you can maybe try and be a part of it.

but dont just play because some random people on here told you too...if you're not really into it then you probably wont have a good experience

if you do choose to try it go into the situation with an open mind...if you have a pre-determioned idea of it being bad more than likely your experience with it will be bad

just like my mom always said to me about veggies-"Dont stick your nose up to it until you've tried it!"

all i have to say is thanks mom cause broccoli is awesome!  

Myskalovitia

Roman Shepherd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:59 am
Go for it you silly person! Although, there are much better rpgs than DnD. I personally can't stand the D20 system.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:49 am
It really depends on what your friends are like... bad players can be worse than a bad DM.  

Bringer of Pestilence

Asahi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:13 am
Your arguments are two sides of the same coin...

DND enthusiasts would say, it's the best thing that they've experienced... Those who don't like it, would say it's nothing but junk... Bottom line..

It's not about the game. You can say the same thing about almost everything else, because it's a personal opinion. Fact remains, nothing is perfect, especially not opinions. I've played DND based games before, and as a role player, it's something I want to play... The original DND, the start of the whole RPG genre, for me, at least.

But, I've played other RPGs... True, the d20 system isn't the best, but it works. Some, like Vampire: the Masquerade, isn't what I'd say a geeky or nerdy game, since it'll scare the heck out of you if you're not in with them.

True... RPGs tend to rise and be lived in real life, at the same time, doesn't real life affect your role playing? The best role players are those who can switch from one life to the next, because there's not much to switch between.

Here's my suggestion. Try it. You just might find out something about it. Just because the tunnel's dark doesn't mean you shouldn't go through it.

By the way, imagination... You can request for them to be a bit more graphic in their role playing, so that they can help you, and you, on your side, should try to be a bit more imaginative. It just won't do if you say no, because you can't... Lots of people lose in real life that way.

You learn when you fail, so think about that.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:25 am
I don't play 'official' DnD, I make my own things up with my friends. While considered nerdy by onlookers, we're not numbercrunching or anything of the sort(except for HP), and it normally involves random things that just make us laugh. I mean DnD can be considered 'nerdy', but if its with friends, and you're enjoying yourself, **** everybody else. They're total bitches. But if you feel it's too nerdy, fine, decide not to participate. It's your choice.  

AHKyle

Baud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:19 pm
it's not all that bad.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:11 pm
My life Motto: "Try everything atleast once. If you don't like it, bugger off"

I personally have only ever done one DnD game and I has a really good time playing it. The DM was a bit of a sadist towards our characters but it made the game more interesting.

Of course, It made me paranoid... which suprisingly isn't a bad thing in DnD xd

But yeah, It only seems geeky from the outside. Once you're in... well, you'll have to wait and see ^_^

MoonMongoose

GothicSeal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:18 pm
just play the game
I've been playing for over 3 years

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:31 pm
Me and my katanna say there's noting wrong with D&D, care to agree?  

Velare

[!.Remix.!]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:21 pm
Danno
Pretty much all my friends play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want to sink to that level of nerdiness, though they continuously request I play with them. What do I do!?
kk heres what you do bro...
tell those dudes to get lives, get a girlfriend, and stay cool cuz rpg's r ******** retarted  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 pm
GothicSeal
just play the game
I've been playing for over 3 years

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
NO! dont listen to the dude stare and how the hell do you play a video game about dragons and bums with swords for 3 years straight...  

[!.Remix.!]

[Atropa Belladonna]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 pm
D&D is fun. You should play.

All the cool kids are doing it.  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games