Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
What makes a nerd? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What makes a nerd?
  Looks
  Interests
  Personality
  All of the above
  None of the above
View Results

miyakoume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:27 pm
AHKyle
MrBobVilla
I think its actually an obsession to a specific topic. I think you are a nerd if you can quote strange inane facts about a given topic that you have a real passion for. And it's not just about random facts, its more about understanding the topic well and wanting to know more about it, actually enjoying learning about it.

Wikipedia is a nerdgasm. Probably my favorite site ever... with the exception of Gaia and Youtube.
Yes, IT IS AN AWESOME UBER COOL SITE!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:42 pm
well, 90% of people will say that a person's a nerd with glasses.
the other 10%, get the idea!  

Ethozz

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100

TheWarriorofIceGlacier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:52 am
Okay I think there is no answer to this question. I myself was a nerd at one school, and when I moved I became well the new guy. strangly enough. I got contacts and woman just started to flail all over me. all of this is true and no lies on this subject. not even two days after I lost my glasses a girl asked me out. About a few days after that it happened again. Then girls became to nervious to ask me then.....okay let me get back to my point. a nerd one place doesn't make him a nerd at another. my story is proof of that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:38 am
my family will call whoever knows a lot about a topic a __________ nerd.
i.e. if it's music, music nerd. but, for most, it's more than that. it's about always knowing the answer, no matter what it is, spending more time with books than people, dressing with pocket protectors, or just not paying attention to appearance b/c it gets in the way of their pursuit of knowledge.  

starbubbles

Sparkly Millionaire

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100

TVBfan125

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:28 pm
Hmmm ...

[^ I almost always begin something like this] A nerd/geek ... well, once a good friend said to me: "Well, [people said] if you have glasses, then you're a nerd. If you have glasses and braces, you're a geek. I have both, so I'm seen as a geek. But then again, I study a lot - does that count?" This was brought up in a conversation with our teacher when we express that we'd rather go home and study for her [the teacher's] test than rehearse for her [again, teh teacher's] part of this show. [Good times biggrin ]

I find that defining stereotypes by appearance is a very ... bad [?] ... thing. Unless you're saying something like - "You're blonde." But then again, that's only stating a fact, even if a different meaning is implied.

To me, a nerd would be someone that has a passion for a certain thing, and completely understands every aspect of it [as some before said xD]. A geek ... someone that's obsessive/has a passion for something, I guess. But both spend their free time on this certain thing. I guess one would use the word obsession, while others might say devotion, and all the same, others would say passion. Whatever term you prefer smile But then again, there's no true answer. Each person holds a different version of the answer in their head, but there's no definition, specifically.

And I dislike it when people tell me that nerds dresses like this, like that, and I should, too. I don't think there's a specific way for a nerd, or any other stereotype, to dress. Either that, or people can all fit into more than one stereotype. I stick pencils in my jeans pocket between classes so that I don't lose them, but you don't see a calculator in there. My "geek" friend doesn't stick anything in her pocket at all - she wears the latest styles and buys the most expensive converses and stuff. Yet when you mention schoolwork to her she'd go into a full rant that gives you a slight reminder that she cares about school, even if her clothing tells you that she only cares about appearance.

Hmm. Too long. Will stop here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:30 pm
AHKyle
MrBobVilla
I think its actually an obsession to a specific topic. I think you are a nerd if you can quote strange inane facts about a given topic that you have a real passion for. And it's not just about random facts, its more about understanding the topic well and wanting to know more about it, actually enjoying learning about it.

Wikipedia is a nerdgasm. Probably my favorite site ever... with the exception of Gaia and Youtube.

Love to Wikipedia biggrin

My favorite site to do my most random researches biggrin just yesterday I was looking up Minotaurs there.

TVBfan125

Danno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:08 pm
Seems that a lot of people say nerds/geeks are basically people who obsess over things or are very knowledgeable of the subject. Also some stereotypes of wearing glasses and pocket protectors thrown in.

I don't wear pocket protectors or whatever, I don't keep anything in my pockets, I wear baggy jeans (not sweatpants as some may assume of nerds/geeks), I have glasses but I rarely wear them; I don't even carry them around. I'm not really knowledgeable on any subjects, can't say I know 90% or more of what's to know on anything. Don't have braces, don't care about my school work since I just naturally score 70-80 without ever studying for tests and rarely looking into the subject so I'm more prepared for it or whatever. I'm not obese, I don't have zits/pimples all over my face, I don't breath loudly, I don't bother people. I try to keep myself kinda in shape by going some sit ups, push ups, and stretching.
So does that make me "not a nerd/geek"?
On the other hand, I don't play any sports, I only go outside if necessary, I spend almost all of my time in front of a computer, television, or portable screen, I can type pretty quickly in the proper way, I watch lots of anime. Can't speak to large groups without my face going red, rarely hang out with even my friends.
So which is it know?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:16 pm
I think it's three attribute's that make a nerd. I don't really act like a nerd (but I can act like one sometimes.) I can sometimes dress like a nerd. And I have some interests that a nerd would have...  

fluteboy1992

Flying Squiddle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:46 pm
AHKyle
MrBobVilla

Speaking of Wikipedia, narrow, strange, and obsessive interests, and nerddom in general, I feel I should point out an article on Asperger's Syndrome that I found a while back.

I think it's somewhat relevent to this "What makes a nerd?" topic, in that it appears to be a common thing among those who like to consider themselves nerds.

Obviously, it isn't entirely relevant - I'm not concluding that "nerd = Asperger's Syndrome Case Study" or vice versa.

But, thought I'd integrate it into the conversation as one more of the many facets of nerddom that might possibly make a person a nerd.

(I'm still reeling at the use of the word "nerdgasm". mrgreen )  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:38 am
I actually don't know how to label one.

psychotic__Gal
Actually I hate all steriotypes... including the "nerd" one. People shouldn't be boxed into a stereotype just because of their appearance, personality, or interests... It's just wrong. I mean, you can totally think someone is a major nerd but you don't really know them. You don't know what goes on in their heads. There is no way you can. Plus, I think people can be more than one stereotype, which defeats the purpose of a stereotype anyway.

...I've been called a "dumb blond" too many times... lol...

Sorry that this is so... *searches for word* well, I don't know...

I am just like that. I have been called many things and I'm sick of it. People call me blonde when in reality I'm a light brown hair color or at least dirty blonde.

About the main topic, I've also been called that. I'm entering 7th grade now and most of my classmates are...to put it nicely...bafoons. Wait that wasn't nice, anyway I hate it.

I pass every year with no lower a 3.50 GPA this last year I got my second 4.0 GPA as soo as someone found out, despite the last day of school I was picked on AGAIN. Normally i just my head in a book but all the teacher take away our backpack on the last day of school so I could do nothing.
I'm a complete teachers pet and as much as I would like to, I didn't fight.
(I could probably beat them down anyway..bunch of short people.)

I stay by myself alot, I don't go outside to 'play with friends' and seek comfort from my father or my dog. My father...he was a jock so he doesn't know this thing and dogs can't talk so who is there to talk to?

There was something in the paper a couple of months ago, about 'Academic Allstars more likely to commit suicide' out of the 30 or so people I gave my phone number to only one person called. It was someone who I don't hang out with and in the past ridculed me, she's a cheerleader and the excat opposite. I've known her since kindergarten, the last person I would expect, she called me.
I'm actually crying as I type this, which is stupid. I hate it when I cry but it feels good to let emotions out once in a while.  

MarineManiac

MarineManiac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 am
As I was saying, I get great grades and I'm in GATE classes. My first year of middle school is tough but i have met alot of people. Once again I get more ridiculing,

"School Girl"
"Nerd"
"Geek"
"Bucky"
"Smarta**"

Those are a few, to name of the top of my head. This year I'm going for student body president and hopefully brains will win over popularity.

I actually had something say to my face 'I hate you" when I proved a Daddy Long-Leg isn't an arachnid. I caught a note flying from someone annoymous at recess,"Do us all a favor and go to a university already."

I left my yearbook a couple of days from school alone on the bench and when I came back someone had signed, "I hope you die over the summer" in the top corner in pencil.

This is why I hate stereotyping and those who do it. I'm sick of it, and anyone who I meet out of school will get beaten. If i can take on a second year highschool quarterback I can take on anyone.

Did I mention the time i confused Michael Jordon with Micheal Jackson while playing basketball?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:20 am
the things they like I think...  

NobleCrouton

Ros!e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:46 pm
I think its more in the confidence thing.... the way the hold themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:23 pm
I don't know what makes a nerd a nerd, but I'm holding on to that title proudly. D: And no one is going to take it away, nor are they going to take away 'Geek', 'Loser', and 'Gamer'. I love those titles man. heart  

Duskalts

Dapper Duelist

16,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • 50 Wins 150

_Kitty_cats_Rule_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:45 pm
im a nerd examples:i like video games to much i play in band i go on this website heart  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games