Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Warhammer 40K? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bleedingreality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:36 pm
Hrm, I do have some extra unpainted Orks packed away at the moment... I suppose I could at least experiment on them a bit. I think part of my problem was probably the primer that I was using. It adhered to the Orks well (it was pretty much a standard black model enamel with matte finish) but it seemed to be a bit too thick, and I lost a lot of detail on the little guys. Any suggestions on thinning it down, or maybe a specific brand that might give me a thinner base coat?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:04 am
I usually hold my space marines a six inch distance away from the primer when I prime them to be painted, I don't lose detail that way.  

Machine Deity

Lexarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:03 pm
Personally, I use a common autopaint gray primer. If I`m going to paint bright colours, I go from there; for dark colours, I then apply black flat paint (all are auto spray paints).

However, in any scale model shop you can buy primers especially made for plastic, and Citadel sell their own "Smelly Primer", but you can use their Chaos Black or Skull White sprays.

And lastly, you could apply brake fluid over painted figures, it removes the paint over a few hours. then you just wash them with a toothbrush and some soap. Remember to wear eye protection, rubber gloves and a breath mask while doing that.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:49 am
Lexarius
Personally, I use a common autopaint gray primer. If I`m going to paint bright colours, I go from there; for dark colours, I then apply black flat paint (all are auto spray paints).

However, in any scale model shop you can buy primers especially made for plastic, and Citadel sell their own "Smelly Primer", but you can use their Chaos Black or Skull White sprays.

And lastly, you could apply brake fluid over painted figures, it removes the paint over a few hours. then you just wash them with a toothbrush and some soap. Remember to wear eye protection, rubber gloves and a breath mask while doing that.

Nail Polish remover works better and is less risky.

But be careful, don't leave them in there for to long, they melt slowly.

I sometimes put it on my Nurgle based chaos space marines to melt and distort their faces.
3nodding  

Machine Deity

Lexarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:59 am
I reserve the Nail Paint remover to metal figs; as you say, it melts the plastic.

Now, other way to get some practice is to stick to metal figs for a while, strip the paint off them and re-paint until you get a good standard.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:01 pm
I find that skull white primer is best for any model dark or light metal or plastic. but yeah i hold the primer 12 inches away so it doesn't get over loaded with primer. Oh and I am now making a spirit host army I now have a list of 30 wraithguard, 3 wraithlords, 5 units of guardians with platforms, 3 units of farseers with 7 warlocks each, and alurch on jet bike with 3 units of 3 to flow in suit.  

Nilador

Nilador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:45 am
the ork codex comes out next week finally xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:09 am
Weeeeee!!!

I`m quite busy now, checking the battle report in the latest White Dwarf.

And I like what I`m seeing!!  

Lexarius

Nilador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:52 am
I can't wait to fight in some 3,000 piont battles with my tyranids against them.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:25 pm
Well yesterday in a 2000 point game I tied by means of double KO, it came down to just my carnifex vs an obliterator and both being slow striked simo. The oblitorator took my carn's last wound and my carn did 5 wounds 3 failing so it was funny of sh*t. Any 40k player would have loved the game. If only carnifexs could regenerate wounds on a 5 or come back like old one eye. *dreams*  

Nilador

Humble AeroRush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 am
the new warhammer 40k dawn of war game is called soulstorm(got it from Xfire dont blame me if its not called that)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:45 am
My brother says Necrons are hacks. I used to always be Necrons, but now I've discovered SPACE MARINES!!!!!!! Woot!!!!!  

knightofthe21stcentury

Nilador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:16 pm
No Necrons are a defencive army. Not hacks and not chessy. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Nilador
No Necrons are a defencive army. Not hacks and not chessy. xd

No, I would say that Necrons are more offensive, seeing as their main defensive building becomes a huge portable bringer of death that can crawl it's way into the enemy's base and blow them all to hell with little scarabs repairing them on the way..... But that's my opinion.  

knightofthe21stcentury

Nilador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 pm
No trust me on this, Necrons are nothing but defencive. You deploy them on the 6-10 inch line, never 12. Hold 3 monoliths in reserves, and several units of scarabs as line breakers. I've played against the Necrons for 5 years and it doesn't take long to understand how to win with nothing but defence like that. Offencive tactics hardly follow the army basis, though there are a few offence models they are only meant to draw enemy fire, attention, and lower the number of models in units that cause heavy damage to the main force. That is the role of the vanguard.  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games