Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
Jade Legacy [L5R 3eR] - Act 1: Atsumari/Gathering Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:35 pm
@ Storytelling Competition:

Hida Hogai would be amidst of apologies to Kaiu Kagae, when he realized the sudden bout of silence would mean it was his turn. Reaching up and stroking his beard, he decided he would have to come up with something extra special, for both him AND Kagae. {Spends a Void for +1k1. Untrained Storytelling (Bragging) roll of 17}

"I suppose by now, some of you have noticed this." the Hida would say, lifting his left arm, revealing the fact that his hand had been severed some time ago and long since healed over. Quickly, several of the overly sensible Rokugani appetites seemed to diminish, including those of Asako Sumi, Doji Koan, and partially Kitsuki Wazuka.

"Well, when you serve on the wall, the days kind of blend together. It's the only tale I got that sticks out in my mind, so here goes. Hold onto your obi!"

Standing up, he gestured with his right hand in a slow sweeping motion from one side to another... "So there I was, fighting on the Kaiu Wall, like most days, like any day. The sun was setting over the Yugure Range, and with the coming darkness came a wave of ill-begotten creatures. Goblins, abominations, even Oni were attacking the wall. The torches were just being lit, so it was a dark, and it made these creatures even darker."

He would chuckle when something came to mind, and would interrupt with a brief segue. "My mother was Mirumoto and I had inherited a bit of ambidexterity from her. I was one of the only Crab who fought with two axes, instead of one! But that all changed on that night..."

Hogai suddenly almost stepped forward as he took an aggressive posture, almost kicking over his table! Luckily he had already guzzled his tea. "I had already killed about ten of the evil bastards when this one Oni came over the wall. Beady little eyes, clicking taloned hands, and, I kid you not, he was nothing but maw. His entire torso seemed to be one gigantic set of jaws with daggers for teeth. The b*****d caught me off guard, and comped down on my left hand before I could bring my rage to bear!"

Gripping his left forearm, Hogai would act is trying to pull it away. "I struggled to free myself, but it would not let go. You see, it was trying to use me as leverage to pull itself up onto the wall! I only had one chance!"

Holding up an imaginary weapon, he would swing it down to his left stump, without showing any hesitation. Then he bellowed in laughter. "You should have seen the look on it's face! It hardly had time to consolidate it's position on the wall before I booted his sorry a** over the edge. Exploded like a melon all across the crags below, and I think even took a couple goblins with 'im!" Laughing more, he would sit down with an audible thud back between Kagae and Jiro.

"I ain't quite been so ambidextrous since that night though. Mother would kill me if she ever found out..." he humored the rest of the samurai after-the-fact, waiting eagerly to see what everyone thought of his tale.

Perception/Investigation (Interrogation) vs TN 17, everyone!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm
@ Kyujutsu Competition:

As Hisashi would call after Sayoko after her turn, he would fail to reach her with his words, as she blatantly ignored him.

Soon after though, he would see one of the two Scorpion archers make his way over to her, despite the Mantis's attempts...

He would try to greet her, but she would turn away from him. "Get away from me, you miserable insect, before I squash you," she would mutter to him, getting a Deceit (Intimidate) result of 24. If you wish to push your luck, Kojiro, you'll need to make a Willpower/Deceit (Intimidation) or Perception/Investigation (Interrogation)!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox rolled 3 10-sided dice: 5, 5, 3 Total: 13 (3-30)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:50 pm
Kojiro would sigh from his frosty reception. "Suit yourself, Lady Horiuchi. As one of the three contestants who have hit bull's eyes here today, I would hope you held the same interest in archery that I did and would've been better company than my clanmate. I see now that all you want is your solitude and I shall leave you to it.

With that, Kojiro would return to the crowd and watch the remaining entrants in this round.

OOC: Perception/Investigation Result: 10  
Psychofish rolled 4 10-sided dice: 5, 5, 10, 5 Total: 25 (4-40)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 pm
[4k2 Perception/Investigation: 24 vs 17]

Denbe looked taken aback at the end of the story. Or more confused perhaps?

"That's all? What about the rest of the battle, or afterward, what else happened? You can't just give us the climax and leave out all the rest of the story. I admire your dedication and sacrifice, but with such a short tale it's hard for one who has never seen the wall to really grasp..."

The Hare delivered some kind of awkward rebuttal that almost seemed a sign of liking the story too much. He didn't want to say bad things, but he rather wanted to hear all about the battle. If the Hare had anything in their blood, it was a passion for combating the enemies of the empire. Perhaps he'd ask the Crab more about the wall at a later time.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Psychofish rolled 1 10-sided dice: 9 Total: 9 (1-10)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm
((EXPLODING DICE! YOU BETTER NOT EXPLODE ME A 1!))  
Mongooseh rolled 3 10-sided dice: 4, 1, 10 Total: 15 (3-30)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:14 pm
(Rolling 3k3 will later fill this with fluff result: 15)

Kagae listened to the story and found nothing which provoked him to questioning Hogai. Though it may be because he was more focused on his food than criticising him.

"...Well done Hogai..."  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Susumu would lead off, shoving a bit more rice into his mouth hungrily before speaking. "Eh, it was... exciting. Seems kinda out-of-context, but I think it's a Crab thing. Ehhh... I'll give it to ya." He would immediately turn back to his rice. {Critique of 17 vs TN 17, ties go to the Storyteller}

Ide Jiro would smile broadly, and actually clap. "Kudos to you, Hogai. If nothing else, it's a good demonstration of the kind of sacrifices the Crab must go through on a daily basis." He would pause, then add afterwards, "Thank you." {Critique of 16 vs TN 17}

Wazuka would look a bit paler, but when she realized it was her turn, she would try to compose herself. "Ahem. Well." She would lift her closed hand to her chin, thinking a moment. "Well, I do appreciate the justice - ironic as it may have been - to the creature..." she started but trailed off. She would try to think of a follow through, looking down and finding herself rubbing her own wrist. "That... ouch. That must have hurt, huh?" {Critique of 16 vs TN 17}

Doji Koan seems to almost be ready to burst a blood vessel, grabbing the sleeves of his Kimono. He was prepared for such a vicious ridiculing of the Crab... then Jiro had to go and open his big fat Unicorn mouth. He couldn't go through with his original rebuke without losing face now, so through gritted teeth, he would simply respond, "Good... job..." {Koan spends a Void, and gets a Critique of 16 vs TN 17!}

Asako Sumi would close her eyes, adjusting the spectacles with her delicate fingers. "I would like to request that such gruesome spectacles - even renditions of them - should be excluded from this competition. We are all sitting down to dinner, and that's hardly appropriate conversation while people are trying to eat." {Critique of 21 vs TN 17}

Hogai's expression would sour slightly, as if he SHOULD have realized it, and he suddenly felt foolish for not doing so.

Kan would shake his head, but more in response to Sumi than to Hogai. "The rules state that we may tell of our own experiences, and that was what Hogai-san has done. Few Crab get the opportunity to leave the Wall, and he has brought a piece of the Wall for us to experience as the Crab do. I think any Crab any of you would ever meet would confess that such close-mindedness would get you killed on their battlefield, so ensure that you enlighten yourselves of the variety of threats we face; or rather, would face, if not for the Crab." {Critique of 16 vs TN 17}

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Next up: Ide Jiro!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 pm

With everything settled, the fair-haired Jiro of the Unicorn would be up next to share his tale. Realizing this, he would finish off his tea in one last gulp before he would prepare to speak.

{Raise spent to lower Critique rolls, Free Raise spent for +5 to his roll. Storytelling roll of 25.}

"My story will be a far simpler one. It will not be my story, but rather, one that has been regaled to me. With no representatives of the Lion clan here, I doubt anyone will oppose to me sharing the tale of Akodo Mitsuhide the Traitor."

He would pause (for dramatic tension!) before starting his own monologue. "Akodo Mitsuhide was a promising young bushi, said to have had much promise in the way of kenjutsu, and in the way of bushido itself. There were two others of his time that rivaled his potential for greatness: Bayushi Korin, and Kakita Seisi. But they were not rivals nor enemies. No, my friends, they were each other's traveling companions, in a joint mission to help restore the Status Quo to Rokugan via example."

"The three young men traveled across the lands of the many Great Clans, earning much prestige and glory over the years. Always, they continued to perfect their skills, testing themselves against the harshest conditions, the most difficult tasks, if for no other reason than to prove that they could be done. The boldness of their sacrifice inspired many people, samurai and heiman alike, to set the bars of their stations just a little bit higher."

"Though their journey was not without insurmountable odds. One such difficulty they had to overcome was a battle against an underground cell of Bloodspeakers; the cultists were wiped out to a man, but not before a spell of dark blood magic left Bayushi Korin wounded... and tainted."
Kitsuki Wazuka would gasp, and immediately redden upon realizing she drew attention to herself. Smiling, Jiro would simply continue his tale.

"Bayushi Korin recovered, but was never quite the same. However, he took extensive measures to maintain his condition, keeping it from spreading any further. He insisted that he continue his journey with the others. A year later, their next obstacle would take place, in the form of a large inter-clan dispute. Working to curb the destructive force of both armies from razing the villages, Akodo Mitsuhide and Kakita Seisi set off to duel the generals of the opposing armies in an attempt to earn the right for a ceasefire. Bayushi Korin waited behind with the villagers to await the good news. Soon, Akodo Mitsuhide returned, having earned the patience of the first general. However, Kakita Seisi would return, gravely wounded from his duel. He had won, but the general had lashed out even after losing, and Seisi, though wounded, was forced to kill him. The second general's second-in-command respected the original terms of the duel, and war was averted."

"Kakita Seisi recovered, but was never quite the same. His injuries lingered, and his swordsmanship suffered from it. He still insisted he continue his journey with the others. A year later, their final obstacle would take form:"

"Akodo Mitsuhide would fall in love,"
he would explain, earning a few murmurs. "While staying at one city, he met a geisha by the name of Eri, and the two fell head over heels for one another. When faced with the decision of continuing the journey, Mitsuhide chose to instead stay and settle with Eri. Bayushi Korin and Kakita Seisi insisted that it stood against everything they had worked so hard for, but Mitsuhide countered that he knew, in his heart, that it was the right move. Disgusted, the other two considered their journey forfeit and returned to their lands, and Mitsuhide was stripped of all glory and status that he had earned on his travels. Mitsuhide lived out the rest of his days happy, and died happy at a very old age."

Adjusting his kimono, he would end his tale. "This was the tale of Akodo Mitsuhide, hero turned embarrassment of the Lion clan. An example of potential squandered. Or perhaps, a story of hard work, perseverance, and good karma rewarding those who earn such rewards? That's really the question here now, isn't it?" A servant came over with a pot, and he would hold out his cup for her to refill. "More tea, if you wouldn't mind."

Perception/Storytelling (Oratory) vs TN 25! Ignore the highest die rolled in your critiques!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Psychofish rolled 2 10-sided dice: 2, 2 Total: 4 (2-20)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:29 pm
[2k2 Perception:4 vs 24]

"A fine old tale. And splendidly retold."

Denbe was honestly just impressed by Jiro's storytelling. And much as he wanted to win, he wasn't going to hold it against others for competing. Jiro had a talent, and Denbe was as impressed by it as he had been by how well his own tale had been received.

"And a fine question it raises."

Done his peach, he contemplated the tale while he began on his rice and tea. Tea, and plain rice, would be safe at least, even as his stomached complained of his lack of trust of the fish.

((With no chance of exploding dice, not sure why I'm even rolling. No beating that.))  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Susumu would be the first to review Jiro's story.

"Doesn't sound much like a traitor to me... if that's your thing, anyways. Leave it to the Lion to take things too seriously, even with their own men." {Critique roll of 8 vs TN 25}

Hogai would seem a bit more somber this time upon the completion of the tale. "I think it's a tad harsh of a reaction. It definitely gives a samurai much to consider by it's implications. Hmmm..." He wanted to add more, but seemed too taken to put up much of a resistance. {Critique of 9 vs TN 25}

Wazuka seemed a little taken aback by the story herself. "I think he made the wrong decision... but I think the Lion made the wrong decision for punishing him. Two wrongs don't make a right in a situation like that. It's hardly just at all..." {Critique of 16 vs TN 25}

Koan would spend his other void point to aid his ability to critique the story. He thought awfully hard about what to tear apart about it... "Well... love is hardly worth it..." Thinking about what he said, he altered his analysis. "That's not what I meant. What I meant was, he shouldn't have..." He paused, and tried again. "Er, I think the point of the story was..." Now he was just making himself look foolish. "DAMNIT. Pass!" he would grumble, waving dismissively. {Critique of 17 vs TN 25}

Sumi would seem disinterested in general. "The story can't be real. Sounds too fictional to me. But I couldn't care less either way."

"... Wait, Sumi-san. Is that it?" Benjiro would ask.

"Yes, it is." She would then turn back to carefully eating her rice. {Spending a void, Critique of 17 vs TN 25}

"And you, Kan-san? What is your take on my story?" Jiro would ask the monk at the end.

"That is not what really happened, and you know that. How dare you embellish the truth to suit your needs. You should be ashamed." {Critique of 31 vs TN 25}

Jiro would seem very taken aback by this response, eyes wide. "What...? How... How could you possibly..."

Seppun Benjiro would clap suddenly, getting the attention of everyone before it could be debated further. "Kan obviously does not like the story, and liking a story isn't a prerequisite in this competition. Let us leave it at that. I believe you are up, Wazuka-san." With that, everyone would turn to look at the young Kitsuki woman. Everyone, that is, except Jiro, who was still staring at Kan.

Storytelling competition will proceed after Kagae's critique!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Raganui Minamoto rolled 9 6-sided dice: 4, 5, 2, 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 2 Total: 33 (9-54)

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 pm
@ Kyujutsu Competition:

Zanzen walked up to the line, frowning. He'd have to withdraw after this round. He was a swordsman, not an archer, so he never thought to carry a bow for long distant shooting. Still...

Slowly drawing the bow, he took aim.

Raising twice for TN 20

6k4 (rest for splode)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm
His nodded slowly, hitting the mark. Taking a breath, he drew the bow again, exhaling slowly before releasing.

Again, 6k4, two raises for TN 20  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Raganui Minamoto rolled 9 10-sided dice: 3, 8, 10, 6, 3, 3, 1, 2, 4 Total: 40 (9-90)

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm
((Helps if I roll))  
Raganui Minamoto rolled 9 10-sided dice: 5, 6, 5, 9, 6, 2, 3, 6, 4 Total: 46 (9-90)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:38 pm
Good, a 60 hit. He had passed. Last shot, he decided to go with an easier hit.

Taking aim, he'd go for for the 40.

6k4, 1 raise for TN 15  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Raganui Minamoto rolled 9 10-sided dice: 2, 8, 8, 3, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9 Total: 54 (9-90)

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:40 pm
(and apparently, I rolled d6's for my first go... uh... let's try with the right die)  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 170 171 172 173 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games