Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark
Arc 1 - Beast of a Thousand Knives (Completed) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 42 43 44 45 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm
The Sisters' Gambit
User Image

Initiative order
Salixa
Nathaniel:
Corsica:
Ying:, Bloodied
Wolves: DW Weakened W8 Bloodied, Weakened
Hakka: HP 35/42
Kuori: HP 22/38 DR 4
Gloom: HP 37/41
Revenge: HP -1/47 Prone, Unconscious, Stabilized
Soldiers:
Lieutenants:

The soldiers rally for one final assault and attack the wolves with all they have left. They grievously wound W8! However, the wolves quickly counterattack and kill the last soldiers. The lieutenant is left all by himself when his eyes suddenly widen. Blood begins to flow from his mouth as four long spikes of wood emerge from his chest. He collapses to the ground, revealing the lithe naked form of a woman behind him, half emerged from a tree. Her wooden textured hands end in long, wicked-looking claws, one of which drips with blood.

User Image

The tree woman finishes emerging the rest of the way from the tree. She has a small petite form with skin like that of polished wood. Her leafy hair resembles the leaves of a willow tree. Her cold amber eyes radiate hate and anger. Those with magical talent sense an aura of tremendous power emanating from her. She looks down at the lieutenant she has just killed and says, bitterly, "His filthy blood now stains my hand. Wretched Arians; their bodies aren't even fit as fertilizer for this sacred ground." (A history check may be rolled to determine the reason for her hate of Aria.)

The tree woman focuses her cold gaze on the adventurers. The anger in her voice is almost palpable as she speaks to them. "I am the Archdryad Salixa. Why do you taint my sacred forest with your presence? Why are you here?"

Ying suddenly emerges from the tree she has been hiding in. As she begins to climb down, she slips on some of her own blood and falls to the ground with a loud thud. Corsica quickly scuttles to Ying's side and helps her to her feet, her face holding great concern for her sister. "Ying... please."

Ying pushes her sister off and shouts desperately at the dryad. "P-please, S-Salixa. They are our friends! They saved our lives! Don't be mad at them! Please! They won't hurt the forest!"

Despite her sister's protests, Corsica continues to stabilize her sister who seems wobbly on her dozens of legs. Corsica turns to face the Archdryad and backs up her sister's words. "My sister speaks the truth. These adventurers are our allies as we are yours. They have helped slay invaders to your land. They pose no threat to your domain. Those who deserve your wrath have already been slain."

As the Archdryad looks at the two sisters, her expression seems to soften, but only for a moment. She then speaks sternly to them, as if scolding a child. "I will have words with you in a moment--but this question was not asked of you." The Archdryad looks back at the the adventurers. There is a deadly glare in her cold eyes. She growls at the adventurers, "I will state it one more time. Why do you taint my sacred forest with your presence!?"

((Combat for the moment is over, though that could quickly change depending on what you guys do. A short rest cannot be taken at this moment. Rain, I will inform you when you can attempt another roll to become conscious.))  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:29 am
Kuori would put her great bow in its holster. "It began as an attempt to find out what was attacking the livestock of a nearby village, that led us to these two. The deceived us and had us kill another creature that fit the clues, but when we returned we found out about the fact that we had been lied to. We also ran I to these soldiers who were looking for Ying and Corsica to try them as criminals, another deception that we quickly saw through. We raced here to defend them against the attack. I apologize if we have done something to upset you."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 pm
When Ying slipped, Hakka also ran over to the centipede girl out of concern, though she knew there was little she could do to help, even if she returned to her human form. When the big woman stepped up to answer the dryad, the little fox nodded. Then, deciding that she needed to speak her mind as well, the fox grew in size, taking on her hybrid form. "It's true, miss forest lady," she said, "I bear no hatred to your home. Coming from a forest of my own, I could never want to harm yours. My only interest was in protecting my friends, Corsica and Ying."

(hopefully being a forest critter myself will garner some extra favor from the dryad lady)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:42 pm
Gloom just stared at the archdryad. White eyes among a shadow of black staring at her.  

I Drink Blue Moon

Tricky Treater

10,875 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:25 am
Salixa, Archdryad of Tapana Woods

User Image

The dryad listens to Kuori's explanation and does seem to take note of her apology, but her demeanor does not change. When Hakka transforms and speaks, the dryad looks at her. A glimmer of recondition comes into the dryads face, as if she recognizes her for what she is. Still, the dryad remains on edge about the whole situation--and Gloom staring at her doesn't seem to be helping.

Finally Corsica steps up to the Archdryad and kneels before her on her eight legs. "Archdryad Salixa, these people have come to trespass on your domain through our actions. If you feel punishment should be dealt out, then let me be the one to bear it.

The Archdryad stares at Corsica, pondering her words. Ying looks on in fear for her sister. The wolf bloodied by the Arian soldiers suddenly approaches Salixa, whimpering. The Archdryad reaches down and touches the wolf. Its wounds instantly begin to heal. She then turns her attention back to the enormous scorpion girl and moves before her. Even kneeling, Corsica still towers over the petite, naked dryad.

Salixa speaks in a stern and angry voice. "The penalty for trespassing into this sacred forest without permission is death." Salixa's expression would suddenly soften again, but only slightly. "However, for as much as I hate interlopers, I hate the filth of the Arian Kingdom even more. These people with you have done the forest a small service by slaying these invaders, so for that I will spare their lives. However, they must leave the forest... and you and your sister must go with them."

Corsica would look up at Salixa in surprise. "But, our deal..."

Salixa would raise her hand silencing Corsica. "I said as long as you sowed terror in my foolish sister's town of invaders, you would be permitted to stay in the forest. Eating a few of their cattle was hardly what I had in mind." Salixa momentarily looks at the adventurers. "Though, perhaps it was more effective than I thought. Nonetheless, I see now your hearts are still too human. You do not bear the will to carry out my order, but this is not why you must leave."

Still stunned by her words, Corsica mumbles out. "Then... Why?"

Salixa promptly responds. "Because your presence here will bring a plague upon this forest!" The Archdryad frowns then lets out a sigh. "I allowed you and your sister to stay because I pitied you. Your predicament embodies everything I hate about humanity. Their lust for power and control and their will to consume their fellow man in pursuit of these goals. But through their arrogant machinations, they had turned both of you into something beautiful. I wanted to preserve that--but my fellow sisters and I will not be able to tolerate more incursions by the Arian filth in pursuit of you. Therefore, I must ask you to leave. I do hope you will eventually find peace, but it will not be here. I'm sorry."

Corsica looks down at the ground, her face is cast in darkness. She stands up from her kneeling position but her gaze still remains cast to the floor. She responds back slowly but firmly. "I... understand. We will leave once we have had a chance to rest."

At the announcement of them losing their home in the forest Ying begins to cry.

The Archdryad nods at Corsica and responds, "Thank you," before turning to leave with her wolves. If no one stops them they will disappear into the forest.

((Revenge may attempt another saving throw to wake up. If no one stops Salixa and her wolves she will leave and the party can take a short rest.))  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 am
Seeing as she has a more humanoid form now and is more than a foot high, Hakka is in a better position to comfort her friend. She hugged Ying tightly when the girl began to cry, ideas running through her head. "Um, Corsica, Ying..." she spoke up after the dryad turned to leave, "Where I come from, the people do have more of a....spiritual connection with nature. I think you wouldn't be as out of place there if you wanted to come with me when I return home. It's across the ocean, far out of Aria's reach..."  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 pm
Natural 20 on death saving throw; healing surge spent, up to 11 hp.

"Ha... lima..." Revenge would mutter lowly to himself, stirring. Suddenly, he sat up, and instantly cried out in pain.

"Ah! The hells?" He reached one of his arms behind himself. "You stabbed me in the back?! Why-"

He looked around, and saw, well... what needed to be seen, I suppose.

"...Oh."

He would reach beside him blindly with one hand, feeling around, before finally turning and arcing his head to see his halberd. Reaching for it, he propped it upwards, and used it to help himself into a standing position and to brace himself.

"..."

He lifted his left hand, as it started to pulse and glow with healing energy... but he seemed to decide against it, and the energy faded.

"Thank you, whoever treated me," he would say aloud, gesturing towards the tabbard compress, though he wouldn't necessarily aim to make eye contact with anyone.

He then proceeds to... loot the bodies?!?!

Quote:
Starting with the nearest slain soldier, S10, he'll check for some sort of identifying items for these men and women; I doubt there's an equivalent of dog tags, but something I can bring back on behalf of these soldiers. If nothing else works, their tabbards will do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:32 am
Well, drama over and Revenge on his feet. Kuori stomped over to him and said, "What the hell was that? You turn on Aria and try to stop them from coming in, then you get here and try to kill Ying. Then you heal her and try to run away? Give me a good reason not to plant an arrow in your skull and my fist in your face."  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:54 am
"... the error was mine. I thought you lot would be able to figure out that a paladin of Sehanine would never want to truly endanger any sort of love, which includes a sisterly bond. My plan was to show the Arians that we would be willing to deny them their prize if they pressed the attack. Then with my lay on hands, heal up the two sisters as soon as the Arians backed off so they could escape. They showed themselves unwilling to listen to reason, so I didn't think an outright proclamation would work - which they proved when I first demanded a ceasefire. I had to show them we were serious. A gambit that failed due to your utter lack of understanding of Sehanine's domain, Kuori. Thank you for that," Revenge would glance down at the broken arrow still embedded in his shoulder.

He would continue what he was doing for a few moments in silence, before continuing.

"A paladin of Sehanine does not pick sides, but we do what is right. That is our way. This was a senseless violent mess, and no one was willing to show me they were anything but cruel and malicious." He would turn and look to the two sisters. "Not even Ying. I sided with the first nonviolent act presented to me, which was the Arian's retreat order."

He would then look back at Kuori. "I hadn't arrived yet before violence broke out, but I was still in earshot. It sounded to me like the Arians were still trying to negotiate when the s**t hit the fan. Tell me, Kuori. Look me in the eye and tell me: Who attacked first? I need to know if the Arians died defending themselves from bloodthirsty maniacs, or if they initiated an unprovoked failed attack and died dishonorably. I need to know what to tell their people."

Quote:
Insight of 27 to gauge the honesty of Kuori's response of who shot first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:28 pm
Ying and Corsica
User ImageUser Image

Ying leans down and returns Hakka's hug, still sniffling. "That sounds like a wonderful idea. I want to be as far away from Aria as we can. I don't want to have to hurt anyone anymore."

Ying surveys the battlefield and her tears begin to flow once more. She buries her head into Hakka's shoulder and begins to sob. "Oh Hakka, it was awful. I felt their life flow from their body. I felt their bones snap and... and their lungs stop. When I squeezed them felt their hearts take their last beat. I can't stand it, I can't! Once we escaped, I promised myself I would never kill again. But I had to, I had to! Otherwise they would have killed everyone! Oh, Hakka..." Ying continues to cry into the fox girl's shoulder. Her blood begins to smear on Hakka, but she doesn't seem to notice.

As Revenge looks S10, over he finds a document identifying the man as a soldier of Aria, most likely used for getting through checkpoints, as well as two papers containing sketches of Ying and Corsica in their human forms. However, before Revenge can move on to the next nearest soldier, he is confronted by Kuori.

Corsica, who was rummaging through one of the dead lieutenant's pockets, looks at her sister with the most extreme look of guilt. She is about say something to her when she hears the exchange between Revenge and Kuori. She quickly moves over to them. "Paladin, if you go talk to the Aria Kingdom about what happened here, I will just kill you now, for it will be a kinder fate then what they will do to you. What happened here needs to remain a secret, for your sake as much as ours."

Corsica takes a deep breath to calm herself before continuing on. "And I will answer your question, we struck first. Our only other option was to surrender to them and watch as they killed everyone else for being witnesses. Now I don't give a damn about your god or your code or your morals or beliefs. All that matters to me is me and my sister's survival. You were very much almost an obstacle to that, but you did save my sister by healing her, so allow me to educate you a bit."

Corsica pauses for a moment to look through several papers that she has obviously taken from the dead lieutenant. She sighs to herself and comments under her breath, "Good--they're all still free."

She then turns her attention back to Revenge and continues on. "These men here were pure evil, serving a secret government entity responsible for countless deaths and the torture of even more. Our bodies weren't originally like this. We were once just as normal as you. They did this to us, through torturous experiments that killed others or drove them to madness. They made us into monstrous weapons for their disposal. They kidnapped us for these demented purposes and murdered anyone who was witness to our disappearance... and it wasn't just us."

With her human hands, Corsica holds out the papers she is holding for Revenge and Kuori to see. They contain the sketches of several people, the majority of them women, and all of them young. "These are the others that escaped with us--all of them innocent, bearing stories identical to ours. See the faces of those affected by their evil. Do you understand now, paladin? Life means nothing to them. They want their experiments back and will do whatever it takes to achieve this in secret."

As Revenge sees the sketched pictures, beside recognizing the ones that are of Ying and Corsica, one in particular sticks out to him. In fact, it pierces him like an arrow in his heart--for there, sketched delicately in ink on the rough parchment, is a picture of Halima, his wife.

Halima
User Image

Kowsauni
Crew

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:50 pm
Hakka's nose twitches a bit at the scent of the blood smearing on her, but she doesn't make any direct acknowledgement of it. Her arms draw the blue-eyes sweetheart closer and one hand strokes Ying's hair softly, trying to comfort her friend. Hearing how sad the girl it made Hakka's heart clench a bit and she said somberly, "I'm sorry you had to go through all of that...I tried my best to keep the blood off of your hands...Mine are already stained...a little more makes no difference...But yours...I'm so sorry..."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:42 pm
Turning to Corsica, gritting his teeth fiercely, he growled at her. "I wasn't sure the details, I wasn't privy to that part - I guess it was discussed before I arrived - but I gathered that this wasn't... natural, for you, and that they were behind it. I have every intention of getting into their good graces and tearing apart any such program, with my own two hands if I have to. This is just to get me within their walls."

Revenge's eyes narrowed. "If the tale you tell us is true, then why not tell us in the first place? You've lied to us before, so your credibility isn't that good now. Why should I believe you? Who's to say that, if the battle had a different outcome, if everyone else but me was slain, the Arians wouldn't be spinning me a similar tale? Hells, your sister pretty much just confessed to killing people before. And you look fairly practiced at it."

As Corsica was gathering the papers, Revenge would gesture to Kuori, Gloom, and Hakka. "These three, along with myself, came here to kill you. Do you not understand?! Despite you lying to us about who you were, despite you using us, somehow everyone else has lost sight of that. But I have not! I saw the look in your eyes, Corsica, when you took those lives! There is darkness in your heart, a darkness that may not be redeemable! And you're dragging your sister into the pits with you! I told you before, when the Arians don't report back, more will come, in greater numbers! Will you kill them too?! And the ones after them?! How much death will you sow? How many innocents, like those in Lupa, will you trample over in the process? Even if you evade the Arians time and again, adventurers like us will come for you! BECAUSE THAT'S WHY WE WERE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!" he would bellow, shaking.

He would flush with anger, but his voice itself would steady itself. "I've lost someone precious to me. I don't like death, especially senseless death. No one should feel the emptiness true loss yields. I cannot stop you from continuing this renegade lifestyle, which will lead you nowhere else but the edge of a sword. But it's your souls I care about. Are you so blind where you can't see that?! If I didn't think you were on the verge of losing yours, do you think I would be trying this hard to save you?! This has nothing to do with my code, or my god, it is for... for..."

And then he saw the parchment.

And then he saw Halima.

And then his heart broke.

His hand would loose the gripped documents he had been gathering, as they would begin to flutter away in the breeze. In place of them, he would grip the parchment with his wife's picture.

But he would say nothing.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:13 pm
Corsica stares at Revenge with annoyance, but otherwise seems to be ignoring his words. However, when he mentions to Ying it seems to strike a cord with her. She flares up angrily at him, slamming her pincers into the ground. "Don't you dare mention my sister! You do not have the right! You have no right to judge us! You have no idea what we've been through--what we are still going through! The things that they forced us to do! I hate them! I would kill a thousand of them if it meant--"

Seemingly caught off guard, Corsica would stop speaking as Revenge reaches up and snatches a picture from her grasp. He stands there in silence, staring at it. He seems like a completely different person from a moment ago. Corsica would look through the sketches to see which one the paladin had taken. She would look at him curiously and ask, already half knowing the answer by his reaction, "Do you know her? ...Halima, that is, or Abby as she goes by now. Did you see her recently? She is on the run just like the rest of us."  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:43 pm
"Ab... by..."

His eyes would be distant, still transfixed by the picture.

"It was... for her birthday, her first after we... she and Jenna were close, were always so close. Jenna gave her... 'Abby the Tabby', we used to call her." A slight smile. A sad smile. "Gods I hated that cat, it kept... it kept..."

"Abby..." he would repeat, in a whisper.

Lowering the picture, his gaze would turn towards the ground. "Corsica... Ying... Kuori, Gloom, Fox Girl... I was wrong. I was the one who was blind, I see that now. You can..."

"Please, end my life, if that would placate your rage. I don't deserve her anymore, not like I am now. Just... promise me you'll... put an end to this, and make sure it doesn't happen again. That's all I ask."  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:29 am
Kuori was about to tell Revenge off when Corsica cut in.
Afterwards all she could say was, "Are you touched in the head or something? You flip flop your opinions from one moment to the next. Sure she has killed, we have all killed. And every black stain on my soul is a badge of honor. From the bandits I have had to kill to save a merchant to these poor saps. But they chose their lot in life and I chose mine. While every intelligent life that I take is a loss of potential in the world, and I mourn for them, but something drove them to evil and instead I chose to save a life devoted to good, or at least with the potential for it."
She turned to Ying and Corsica. "And actually ... I don't think you need to run anymore. Those papers should hopefully be enough to take away any support Aria has. Also, Lupa will need the help. With the loss of their livestock, they will need to compensate elsewhere."  
[D&D 4e] Glimmers in the Dark

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 42 43 44 45 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff